ADVERTISEMENT

Losing interest in UK basketball

That doesn't make any sense to me. I have had more connection with some of the OAD and some that have stayed 4 years.

this "connection" stuff is so creepy to me. 20-30-40 year age difference between fans and players who they will never meet or talk too. so odd.

Reactions: awf
1. the OAD makes it very hard to have a connection with the players
2. players not playing for the school
3. the corruption
4. the shady shit going on
5. NCAA not enforcing rules consistantly
6. officiating is horrible and no relief in sight
7. not entertaining, you can see better basketball at middle schools

This all makes me not as enthusiastic about watching college basketball. I still watch the cats, but it sure is not very exciting basketball to watch.
Not playing for the school? Did you see Fox and Monk after the unc loss? They were devastated. And our oad players all seem to have a great love for the school and fans.

Boo hoo

Our coach couldn’t go 40-0 so I don’t even care anymore. GTFO.
Has nothing to do with 40-0. Has everything to do with having that loaded of a team, we rolled the entire season and we shit the bed at the end of the road. Did losing a perfect season make it worse than it normally would? Of course. But I’d be just as upset if we had 3-4 losses going into that Wisconsin game. Blowing a title is what got me the most.

Not playing for the school? Did you see Fox and Monk after the unc loss? They were devastated. And our oad players all seem to have a great love for the school and fans.

They are playing for the NBA, period. That is what Cal sells. Do they hate to lose, sure, but they don't give a shit about the word KENTUCKY on the front of that shirt.

3. the corruption

This all makes me not as enthusiastic about watching college basketball. I still watch the cats, but it sure is not very exciting basketball to watch.
These things all bother me especially scandals and UNC getting not even a wrist slap for the worst cheating scheme ever in the history of NCAA sports. But.....I will never lose interest in my Cats..I never gave up in the probation years and always know we are UK.

3. the corruption

I still watch and attend most games, but I don't enjoy it as much as I used to. A lot of what you said is part of the reason. Some of the other reasons for me I think can be attributed to losing my Mother in Law and then my Mom, both in the last14 months.
I'm 51, and I realize that tomorrow isn't guaranteed.
I lost a good friend to cancer in 2011. He was 48.

I guess when you get to my age, that you start thinking about your own mortality. And thus, you realize that beating an East Tennessee State team on a Friday night in November really isn't that important.

I still care more than I should, but not as much as I used too.

Christ. This is why our fan base catches some of the sh!t it does. Spoiled. Who would you complainers rather have as coach? We are in contention virtually every year. Seems like some of you armchairs think you know more about basketball than our hall of fame legend coach does.

Reactions: CincinnatiWildcat
this "connection" stuff is so creepy to me. 20-30-40 year age difference between fans and players who they will never meet or talk too. so odd.
If you watched the Chuck Hayes senior day and didn't feel anything...I would question if you are possibly a sociopath? (that's broadly speaking not specific to any singular person)

I still watch and attend most games, but I don't enjoy it as much as I used to. A lot of what you said is part of the reason. Some of the other reasons for me I think can be attributed to losing my Mother in Law and then my Mom, both in the last14 months.
I'm 51, and I realize that tomorrow isn't guaranteed.
I lost a good friend to cancer in 2011. He was 48.

I guess when you get to my age, that you start thinking about your own mortality. And thus, you realize that beating an East Tennessee State team on a Friday night in November really isn't that important.

I still care more than I should, but not as much as I used too.
Good perspective. I lost my mother a few hours before the Wisconsin game (so that loss is irrelevant to me) and unexpectedly lost my father 6 months ago.

It's just sports. It's a diversion and doesn't really matter.

Reactions: KYtotheCore and awf
If you watched the Chuck Hayes senior day and didn't feel anything...I would question if you are possibly a sociopath? (that's broadly speaking not specific to any singular person)

and if you felt something that strong for a person you have never met or talked too....i would question your sanity and priorities in life. connection only exists if its in both directions. stop being creepy.

I love my cats been diehard but I have lost alot of passion since Wisconsin loss really. Been getting frustrated with Cal as well. I don't know if I can put my finger on it but the program needs a shot in the arm IMO. I think missing on Bamba, Bagely, Barrett plus Zion seems to be slipping g away as well just really sucks.. I don't know I'm just down but not going to quit on them. Ready for some dominant teams again. Like 09,12,15..
yeah i don't think there's anything wrong with admitting the zeal doesn't feel like it was. there are reasons. for me it's college basketball in general. because of the corrupt ncaa and some if their corrupt programs. the trophies are partially bought on every level and the ncaa plays a big part in it. a blind man can see that. and it hurts my heart to realize it.

Reactions: awf and KyFaninNC
and if you felt something that strong for a person you have never met or talked too....i would question your sanity and priorities in life. connection only exists if its in both directions. stop being creepy.

you got to be the most dense poster I have seen, if you can not understand the "connection" thing. But I will explain it to you, it means that you get invested in seeing these guys coming back next year, and the next year, and watching the improvements they make, it is being able to see them on the floor on TV and recognize them, not having to look for a name on the back of the shirt, it is about remembering their name years down the road.

Cal very easily could go down as the basketball equivalent of Tony Dungy. He blew the Wisconsin game and nearly let Kansas get back into the championship game. Not to mention the debacle at Memphis. If he doesn’t win another, than he wasted a ton of talent.

you got to be the most dense poster I have seen, if you can not understand the "connection" thing. But I will explain it to you, it means that you get invested in seeing these guys coming back next year, and the next year, and watching the improvements they make, it is being able to see them on the floor on TV and recognize them, not having to look for a name on the back of the shirt, it is about remembering their name years down the road.

yeah thats psycho. sorry bro. its basketball. not that hard to recognize.

You realize you're in the extreme minority with your opinion on this issue? You are essentially questioning the entire point of fandom? Blindly support a piece of fabric or organization but don't have any interest in the individuals. And GTFO with that creepy garbage...I went to UK that's my damn school and I have a level of respect and admiration for the people who wear that jersey and represented my school with class and worked very hard to bring acclaim to it's basketball program over a significant period of time.

I love my cats been diehard but I have lost alot of passion since Wisconsin loss really. Been getting frustrated with Cal as well. I don't know if I can put my finger on it but the program needs a shot in the arm IMO. I think missing on Bamba, Bagely, Barrett plus Zion seems to be slipping g away as well just really sucks.. I don't know I'm just down but not going to quit on them. Ready for some dominant teams again. Like 09,12,15..
Once UNC**** was given the green light to cheat and Capel can get away with doing his thing to get top recruits, Kentucky and Calipari are going to miss out on a lot of recruits. I mean, we already had Kansas getting away with it. You can bet that if Kentucky recruited like they are recruiting, we'd get nailed by the NCAA. I don't believe in the NCAA at all. It is a corrupt, contemptible organization and definitely has its thumb on the scales. There is no level playing field so I, personally, can't get excited about the postseason. The NCAA is going to do its best to take it away from Kentucky since it isn't a big enough market and doesn't have the power of a UNC (so they can cheat like hell).

images

Can I interest you in a new hobby?

Reactions: MKGMVP and brianpoe
You realize you're in the extreme minority with your opinion on this issue? You are essentially questioning the entire point of fandom? Blindly support a piece of fabric or organization but don't have any interest in the individuals. And GTFO with that creepy garbage...I went to UK that's my damn school and I have a level of respect and admiration for the people who wear that jersey and represented my school with class and worked very hard to bring acclaim to it's basketball program over a significant period of time.

i went to uk too. never miss a game. but come on man...its just basketball. admiration....thats weird.

Once UNC**** was given the green light to cheat and Capel can get away with doing his thing to get top recruits, Kentucky and Calipari are going to miss out on a lot of recruits. I mean, we already had Kansas getting away with it. You can bet that if Kentucky recruited like they are recruiting, we'd get nailed by the NCAA. I don't believe in the NCAA at all. It is a corrupt, contemptible organization and definitely has its thumb on the scales. There is no level playing field so I, personally, can't get excited about the postseason. The NCAA is going to do its best to take it away from Kentucky since it isn't a big enough market and doesn't have the power of a UNC (so they can cheat like hell).

Yea, my feelings are not direct;ly related to Cal, but to the way NCAA basketball is being conducted.

Good perspective. I lost my mother a few hours before the Wisconsin game (so that loss is irrelevant to me) and unexpectedly lost my father 6 months ago.

It's just sports. It's a diversion and doesn't really matter.

This.

Attendance is done for every sport and every team. It is due to younger generations tendencies than UK basketball. Plus, u cannot get any kind of cell service in rupp which is insane so younger people cannot use phones, post messages and whatnot. It is what they do! They rather hang out at a house, with friends, use social media and watch the games. Sometimes I don’t blame them.

I think each year is an adjustment.

Takes a little while to get emotionally invested.. but by mid December we should all be there.

Reactions: OUT OF KILTER
They are playing for the NBA, period. That is what Cal sells. Do they hate to lose, sure, but they don't give a shit about the word KENTUCKY on the front of that shirt.
Man you are so full of crap!! They have done more for this university than you have. They come back often, support the program even while chasing their dreams. You are a petty, worthless loser Thant can’t explain why he hangs around if he hates something do much!

Reactions: BlobUK and mdlUK.1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT