ADVERTISEMENT

Looking to purchase a new riding lawn mower.

Creed Bratton

All-American
May 31, 2018
Lex Town
The one I currently have I inherited from my father when he passed away 20 years ago and he had owned it for at least 5 years before I got it. It still mows okay but just starting to get to the point I have to spend a lot of money for maintenance every year for all the worn out parts and they are very difficult to find. I'm looking to get a new one and wonder what you use and if you would recommend it. I know there will be a lot of differing opinions and I will take them all into consideration as I look to purchase a mower.

Just as a background I have roughly 1/2 acre to mow and while I wouldn't be opposed to a zero turn I'm just not sure I have a big enough yard to go that direction. I also would not be opposed to a battery powered one. So let's hear it.

I have a Troy Bilt Bronco, but I have several acres to mow. No complaints about it, but the ride is a little rough on an old back. Got it at Lowes because of military discount. Probably going to upgrade to a zero turn with a better ride though.

In circumstances like this, it's critical to consider the environmental impact.

You really need to buy a horse-towed mower from this company in Pennsylvania:

resize.php

https://www.farmshow.com/a_article.php?aid=34253

The horse-towed one also has the added benefit of fertilizing your lawn naturally as it mows.

Alternatively, you could buy an electric riding mower so long as it's charged solely with renewable energy (e.g., from your home's solar energy system). There are plenty of models from which to choose.

If you buy a gas-powered one, then that essentially makes you complicit in the murder of our planet.

YTH22V46

I’m on my second one of these. Passed down an 8 year old model to my son-in-law and bought a new one last summer.

Love the hydrostatic transmission. No more stopping to change gears. 46” two blade deck cuts lots of grass, and fits through 48” gate openings. Plenty of power at 22hp.
I have the 48" version that I have had for the last 10 years and have been looking at the one you posted as a replacement. The 48" is 24hp but cost more at Lowes. The one you posted is around $2900.00 right now and with my 10% military retiree discount that is about what I will pay after taxes.

Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
I highly recommend a zero turn with a deck width that works best for your mowing needs. I think you will like a gasoline motor, for sure.
About the third or fourth time you mow with it, you will love it. The first two or three times you use it, you will think, “what have I done?”
I wouldn’t ever go back to a steering wheel now.
Also, I like trading at a small, local business place that offers good service, like Huber that posts here on occasion.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

Last edited:
I highly recommend a zero turn with a deck width that works best for your mowing needs. I think you will like a gasoline motor, for sure.
About the third or fourth time you mow with it, you will love it. The first two or three times you use it, you will think, “what have I done?”
Also, I like trading at a small, local business place that offers good service, like Huber that posts here on occasion.
This, they make Zero turns with smaller 42" decks that would probably be sufficient. and actually it took me about half way through my first mow with one to decide I would never go back to a tractor model. More control, faster, can cut much tighter around trees and landscaping. I have 1.3 acres and i use a 48" Simplicity Courier. I wouldn't mind upgrading to a 54" but what I have suits me pretty good, I can get the yard done on a normal day in under two hours.

It usually just takes me about 30-40 minutes to mow with my tractor style now so the time isn't a big deal. I actually like to put my earbuds in, listen to some music and use that time to unwind. I also don't have a ton of trees or landscaping to mow around so that part wouldn't really benefit me with the zero turn. To be honest if this mower last as long as my last one I shouldn't have to buy another one because at 75-80 years old I will probably be paying someone else to do it at that point. What kind of longevity do the zero turns have with the hydraulics used for steering. I have even looked at the zero turns with the steering wheel.

3_43920_100275_7292295.jpg

Reactions: HUBER
YTH22V46

I’m on my second one of these. Passed down an 8 year old model to my son-in-law and bought a new one last summer.

Love the hydrostatic transmission. No more stopping to change gears. 46” two blade deck cuts lots of grass, and fits through 48” gate openings. Plenty of power at 22hp.
I have the same one. I mow a little over an acre and it has been a great mower

The one I currently have I inherited from my father when he passed away 20 years ago and he had owned it for at least 5 years before I got it. It still mows okay but just starting to get to the point I have to spend a lot of money for maintenance every year for all the worn out parts and they are very difficult to find. I'm looking to get a new one and wonder what you use and if you would recommend it. I know there will be a lot of differing opinions and I will take them all into consideration as I look to purchase a mower.

Just as a background I have roughly 1/2 acre to mow and while I wouldn't be opposed to a zero turn I'm just not sure I have a big enough yard to go that direction. I also would not be opposed to a battery powered one. So let's hear it.

If you want to PM your info, Im happy to chat with you about what options you may have. I know more about lawn mowers than any human should, but that's the side effect of growing up in the industry.

And to go along with the other guys, even with a half acre, it would be hard for me to mow with anything other than a zero turn mower personally. They have been around for over 30 years, so the hydraulics and everything is fairly perfected at this point.

Like everything, there are different grades between homeowner, prosumer, and professional, and the components while operating the same, have very different life expectancies. If you're only going to maintain a half an acre, a homeowner grade zero turn is all you need.

Cub Cadet makes some good, economical residential zero turns with some nice features. We like selling the Cub Cadet ZT146 with the Fabricated Deck, as Fabricated decks last much longer and typically cut nicer than the stamped decks you'll find on most lawn tractors and riding mowers. It has a strong and very reliable Kohler engine.

Reactions: I am stupid
My Ferris has been a beast .. I've got hills and rough terrain , 52 inch , I've beat on it hard for 4-5 years now and. its all good .

My Ferris has been a beast .. I've got hills and rough terrain , 52 inch , I've beat on it hard for 4-5 years now and. its all good .

Ferris >>> Cub Cadet and it’s not even close.

But it all comes down to budget and needs.

For a half acre, a Ferris would probably be some serious over kill, so the Cubs would fit the bill.

And anyone touting Electric / Lithium power lawn mowers I guess hasn’t heard about the rash of home fires they’ve been producing around the country. Lithium batteries in lawn mowers have been very finicky in temperature swings as well as being fully charged when they sit for long periods. Our insurance company had over 5 total losses of dealerships last year from battery powered lawn mowers catching fire.

In 5-10 years the technology will be there, but it’s not there at this point from a safety and reliability standpoint.

I should probably add that I have a level front yard but my backyard has some slope and coming off the patio down into the back of the lot is a little steep. I would estimate a 15-20 degree slope. My current mower has tractor tread tires and I do have to slide to the upper side of the mower to keep it from spinning the upper tire.

Hey @HUBER I have been checking out the Cub Cadet this morning and is the main difference in the ZT1 & ZT2 series the transmission? There is around $800 difference in price and that is the biggest difference I see when I compared them.

I have a scag with a 61 inch deck. Paid a lot for it, but it gave me 4 hours of my life back each week. I mow about 5 acres.

Hey @HUBER I have been checking out the Cub Cadet this morning and is the main difference in the ZT1 & ZT2 series the transmission? There is around $800 difference in price and that is the biggest difference I see when I compared them.

Transmission and engine. The ZT2 has a better, heavier duty transmission and upgrades the engine from a Kohler to a Kawasaki.

One thing Id mention is you said you had a slope that was between 15-20 degrees. Out of every zero turn I've been on, and I've been on them all and I'm a total Exmark guy myself, but the best zero turn on slopes is the Cub Cadet steering wheel zero turns. The model numbers for those is the ZTS and the ZTXS. The steering wheel locks in the front of the mower so you don't end up having to crab crawl at an angle across a steep hill like you do with normal zero turn. Its also nice that your wife can hop on and mow the year without being scared of just having handles to steer the mower.

https://www.cubcadet.com/en_US/zero...XVgwMVF19HAR0VMw2WEAAYASAAEgIP0fD_BwE&start=4

Transmission and engine. The ZT2 has a better, heavier duty transmission and upgrades the engine from a Kohler to a Kawasaki.

One thing Id mention is you said you had a slope that was between 15-20 degrees. Out of every zero turn I've been on, and I've been on them all and I'm a total Exmark guy myself, but the best zero turn on slopes is the Cub Cadet steering wheel zero turns. The model numbers for those is the ZTS and the ZTXS. The steering wheel locks in the front of the mower so you don't end up having to crab crawl at an angle across a steep hill like you do with normal zero turn. Its also nice that your wife can hop on and mow the year without being scared of just having handles to steer the mower.
She has already told me if I get a zero turn to plan on mowing the yard the rest of my life. 😂

She has already told me if I get a zero turn to plan on mowing the yard the rest of my life. 😂

Well, we have a ton of females that purchase mowers to maintain their properties from us, but the ones who have issues with the typical zero turn, the Cub Steering Wheel models are super easy to use. I basically say that if you can drive a car or a lawn tractor, you can operate the Cub steering wheel zero turn. If you want that yard mowed while you're away on a golf trip with your buddies, it may be the ticket.

Reactions: Creed Bratton
Well, we have a ton of females that purchase mowers to maintain their properties from us, but the ones who have issues with the typical zero turn, the Cub Steering Wheel models are super easy to use. I basically say that if you can drive a car or a lawn tractor, you can operate the Cub steering wheel zero turn. If you want that yard mowed while you're away on a golf trip with your buddies, it may be the ticket.
I assume you work for a company that sells lawn equipment? If so where are you located?

I assume you work for a company that sells lawn equipment? If so where are you located?

Where are you located at? I have friends that are dealers around the country so I'm happy to recommend some near you. When it comes to buying a mower, its not just the mower itself, but also the service you get after you buy it. SO make sure you check on their parts and service departments, and ask what their average turn around time in the service department is. Some dealers let equipment sit for months before its repaired, and others can be less than a week. That's important to know if you ever have an issue during mowing season.

A small dealership in Lexington. Right down the road from UK. We sell Exmark, Kubota, Ferris, Cub Cadet, Stihl, and Wright mowing equipment.
If you have some rough spots to mow, what is the Cub Cadet's ride like on an old back?

If you have some rough spots to mow, what is the Cub Cadet's ride like on an old back?

The residential mowers have a decent cushioned seat, but the larger commercial mowers ride better.

The homeowner versions are a welded, one piece frame, so any bump the mower hits, the user gets to feel the affects. The heavier duty version has a front axle that moves with the terrain and helps with the impact of rough spots, and also have a heavy duty, high back suspension seat that also helps with the ride quality.

Ferris is the only mower to have a complete, independent suspension, so there is no mower on the market that is as comfortable to use as the Ferris brand.

Reactions: berniecarbo
Where are you located at? I have friends that are dealers around the country so I'm happy to recommend some near you. When it comes to buying a mower, its not just the mower itself, but also the service you get after you buy it. SO make sure you check on their parts and service departments, and ask what their average turn around time in the service department is. Some dealers let equipment sit for months before its repaired, and others can be less than a week. That's important to know if you ever have an issue during mowing season.
I am in Somerset

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT