ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone have an electric lawn mower?

Tskware

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2003
My old Briggs & Stratton runs OK, but is more than 10 years old, and about time to consider a new one.

Lawn is not large, takes maybe 1 1/5 hours to cut, but large parts of it are bermuda/zoysia blend which is thick as hell in summer months. Who owns an electric mower (what brand?) and does it do a good job in Ky springs when the grass grows about an inch a day?

I don't but was briefly looking at mowers in HD last week & like 12 of 15 models displayed were electric. Net, power mowers are going extinct. My 2008 Toro still going strong.

Both my neighbors do and they haven't had issues cutting thick St Aug grass. I'm looking at the eGO because I have the blower and weed eater already and they're great.

I have an electric mower, in some ways I love it and other ways not so much. Mine is a push mower that is battery powered so I have to keep in mind the charge, which can run out pretty quick. If you are looking at something that is plugged in it may work better, but clunky. If it takes you over an hour to mow now, I'd say you will have to have several batter backups. Also, it doesn't have the same power as a gas powered mower. For my yard, it does the trick, but I wouldn't for a larger yard.

Reactions: drawing_dead
I have an electric mower, in some ways I love it and other ways not so much. Mine is a push mower that is battery powered so I have to keep in mind the charge, which can run out pretty quick. If you are looking at something that is plugged in it may work better, but clunky. If it takes you over an hour to mow now, I'd say you will have to have several batter backups. Also, it doesn't have the same power as a gas powered mower. For my yard, it does the trick, but I wouldn't for a larger yard.

That is sort of what I had noticed around the neighborhood as well, but I noticed Lex Outdoor Power has some larger models, which look like they would be great, but are $600 or so. May wait to see if they come down in price at end of season.

Will never own an electric mower as long as I am still physically able to mow my own yard (1/3 acre) and I can still find gas models. When I am no longer able or decide to get lazy and hire someone, they are welcome to use electric, solar, whatever.

lacey chabert goats GIF by Hallmark Channel

Just buy a bunch of goats

when they rate the battery mowers, they are only cutting 1/4" of grass. this allows them to advertise very long run-times. if you need 1.5 hours to push mow with a gas mower, you will probably need three batteries to complete it with electric. batteries will go for $150-200 for most popular brands. $450 for the mower and you have a very expensive setup.

like an electric car, kind of a novelty to me.

get a used Toro commercial with a 6hp Kawasaki for ~$200. it will outlive you, and maybe your kids.

Yes, and I'd never go back. Even the Ryobi entry models are solid. Never have to worry about getting gas or the dozens of other parts that go into making a gas-engine work.

4 Years of mowing a pretty small city yard, never had to replace the battery. And even if I do have to go buy a $100 replacement, it's 100% worth it not having to worry about the above pitfalls with a gas mower.

Reactions: chroix and 80 Proof
I have an electric rider and won’t go back to gas. Mine is a first gen Ryobi that uses agm batteries that I will eventually replace with a lfp setup. That battery setup should outlast me so look for that on whatever electric you’re interested in.
I have several Ryobi products and they all work great, that would be my first choice as well. Thanks

Reactions: Rebelfreedomeagle
Do not, under any circumstances, buy a corded mower unless you are mowing a postage stamp sized lawn. Worst purchase I ever made. Too much of a hassle.
Not long after I was distilled, I got my first job mowing the lawn for my great grandfather. He bought a corded electric mower for me to use on a 1/4 acre lot, I still have nightmares about using that thing.

My next door neighbor has an ego mower, its pretty nice and I'll probably get one when I replace my current mower.

Reactions: chroix and Tskware
Do not, under any circumstances, buy a corded mower unless you are mowing a postage stamp sized lawn. Worst purchase I ever made. Too much of a hassle.
Same. I had a small yard, and I thought I could do it with a 17" electric mower. Fight with the cord constantly, smaller deck made the task longer, and a week's worth of grass growth was enough to really bog it down. Went back to gas-powered Toro 21".
Moved last year and bought a battery-powered Ryobi 20" push mower, been pretty happy with it. Just enough battery power to mow my entire lawn (about 50 minutes non-stop), and a LOT more maneuverable than the Toro which was very heavy due to the self-propeller mechanism that I rarely used. I paid around $250 for it.

Reactions: Tskware
I have a Kobalt electric push mower that does a pretty good job. I also got the weed eater which uses the same battery, so I have a spare charged up on hand. One usually lasts me ~45 minutes - an hour.

I've used my dad's kobalt 80v electric push mower. Takes a little over an hour to push his yard, grass is very dense in much of the yard, and it'll get it done on one charge (without much juice leftover). It cuts well, even on thick damp grass. I'm not a fan of self propelled mowers, that's my only complaint about it.

Reactions: JDHoss
I have a green works. 95 percent of yard is cut with a gas powered ZTR. The parts I cannot get it on, I use an electric mower. If it takes you an hour and a half, you're going to need extra batteries. I would suggest having at least four. I have two for about 45 minutes of mowing. They are used up
after that and need recharging.

You're probably looking at around $600 to $700 for a green works and the batteries. They are quieter and easier to push. They seem to have plenty of power.
My old Briggs & Stratton runs OK, but is more than 10 years old, and about time to consider a new one.

Lawn is not large, takes maybe 1 1/5 hours to cut, but large parts of it are bermuda/zoysia blend which is thick as hell in summer months. Who owns an electric mower (what brand?) and does it do a good job in Ky springs when the grass grows about an inch a day?

Reactions: Tskware
^
Green Works sounds like what they sell at Lex Outdoor Power, that is the price point anyway.

Yes, and I'd never go back. Even the Ryobi entry models are solid. Never have to worry about getting gas or the dozens of other parts that go into making a gas-engine work.

4 Years of mowing a pretty small city yard, never had to replace the battery. And even if I do have to go buy a $100 replacement, it's 100% worth it not having to worry about the above pitfalls with a gas mower.

My gas mower crapped out about 4yrs ago. Was gonna buy another one, but tried whatever Ryobi had at the time (i have quite a few of their one+ tools). Bought one extra battery and, i believe, paid ~$400 total ($299 for the mower and $99 for the extra battery). Still working just fine.

Didn't buy it for any altruistic, environmental reasons, but strictly for price and i got tired of forgetting when my gas can got low or having to do the maintenance (oil, spark plug, etc). Now, i literally do nothing over the winter, but switch my batteries every now and then on the charger in the garage. After 4yrs i still haven't needed to change/sharpen the blade, either.

Runs just fine and i've been able to get my yard done (~.3 acres) without a problem with 2 batteries.

It isn't self-propelled, but it weighs much less so pushing it is no problem.

My gas mower crapped out about 4yrs ago. Was gonna buy another one, but tried whatever Ryobi had at the time (i have quite a few of their one+ tools). Bought one extra battery and, i believe, paid ~$400 total ($299 for the mower and $99 for the extra battery). Still working just fine.

Didn't buy it for any altruistic, environmental reasons, but strictly for price and i got tired of forgetting when my gas can got low or having to do the maintenance (oil, spark plug, etc). Now, i literally do nothing over the winter, but switch my batteries every now and then on the charger in the garage. After 4yrs i still haven't needed to change/sharpen the blade, either.

Runs just fine and i've been able to get my yard done (~.3 acres) without a problem with 2 batteries.

It isn't self-propelled, but it weighs much less so pushing it is no problem.

Yes, thank you. This is exactly how I see it. I didn't ditch my gas snowblower because of some global warming/green initiative.. I did it because I got tired of trying to repair this thing seemingly every year, do regular maintenance on it, and freeze my ass off getting it to start for 15 minutes every snow storm.

I haven't had to do a single thing to my ryobi mower for 4 years except swap the battery out, from my 20 other ryobi tools I have. These tools came with enough batteries over the year, that I won't have to buy a battery for 20 years. That's what's missed here: no one who locks into these battery powered line of tools ever has to go to home depot frequently to purchase new batteries lol. We have so many from other tool purchases, you dont need to.

I think these global warming folks are kooks.. but I also think you're being completely silly to NOT adopt an easier way of lawn care, just to dig your heels being pro-gas powered. (Large yards and commercial landscapers excluded, battery hasn't replaced Gas for them yet).

Reactions: kyeric
Ryobi is a solid company. I've got two batteries and some of their accessories. No mess, don't have to deal with gas and oil and the potential of leaks, the mower stays clean, it's incredibly lightweight, much quieter, and gets the job done. It's kind of stubborn and Tim "The Toolman" Taylor-like to not at least look into it as an option. Not sure why anyone would rather deal with the mess and fuss of a heavier, louder machine. Fwiw, the positives mentioned are a big help to older folks and us as we get older too. As we age, work smarter, not harder.

Reactions: JDHoss and Tskware
Preach!!
I hated life using one. On top of the cord getting caught on different things, I’ve cut through several. My wife bought that mower and I refused to speak to her for hours after each use. I focused on everything I hated in life while using it.

Have researched battery powered mowers, but wish I could test one on my yard first.

Anyone know if that's possible i.e. from Lowe's?

Have researched battery powered mowers, but wish I could test one on my yard first.

Anyone know if that's possible i.e. from Lowe's?

I have thought about that as well, may try to trade my gas mower to Lex Outdoor Power (they service it annually), at least I could get rid of the old mower that way. Plus they deal in better equipment, which I expect will work just fine.

Reactions: Chuckinden
I wouldn't like having to replace batteries every few years, but if I lived in the city with a smaller yard I would probably use electric.

Not sure it would work for me now. I live on a steep hill on the edge of town, actually overlooking town, with my backyard joining the wild. It provides great views, but requires extra effort to maintain. Part of my property out back is native. I need power for the hill and to occasionally cut thick brush.

I use a self-propelled gas mower, gas line trimmer, and a gas snow thrower as do all of my neighbors. This gets the job done and I do not need to replace what is still working. If I ever need a new unit I'll consider the best solution that handles my requirements.

lacey chabert goats GIF by Hallmark Channel

Just buy a bunch of goats
No thanks on the yard full of goat pellets. If I could afford it, I'd have artificial turf covering the whole yard and never again have to worry about it getting cut. My allergies would love it.
PHOTO-2019-08-13-16-31-21.jpg

No thanks on the yard full of goat pellets. If I could afford it, I'd have artificial turf covering the whole yard and never again have to worry about it getting cut. My allergies would love it.
PHOTO-2019-08-13-16-31-21.jpg
We’re not talking the football synthetic grass with the turf turd pellets, are we? ;)

Dad was a Buc, I spent many a days in the Mini Dome back in the Carlisle to Ayers eras.

Back on topic, new house has a decent slope on one side and another down to the drainage ditch in front. My rider will not work in those 2 areas and my big ass aint going try flipping it over on me. So I'm in the market for a push just for those 2 areas. How are the battery powered on grades? Dont care about self propelled or anything since its really a touch up mower.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT