ADVERTISEMENT

Livingston announcing

giphy.gif

The floodgates opened with Sharpe......now it's rolling. They have officially exorcised the recruiting failure that was Joel Justus. In fact if Cal had dumped him earlier, Jaden Hardy would've likely been at UK instead of G-League--made a nice late run at him again post Golden Boy departure. The Golden Boy was also a major issue within the team's internal issues last year.

When you get rid of people who can't do or handle this job, at a program like this, and get those who can...you will succeed. Recruiting is step #1.

Last edited:
The floodgates opened with Sharpe......now it's rolling. They have officially exercised the recruiting failure that was Joel Justus. In fact if Cal had dumped him earlier, Jaden Hardy would've likely been at UK instead of G-League--made a nice late run at him again post Golden Boy departure. The Golden Boy was also a major issue within the team's internal issues last year.

When you get rid of people who can't do or handle this job, at a program like this, and get those who can...you will succeed. Recruiting is step #1.
Tell me moreā€¦

The floodgates opened with Sharpe......now it's rolling. They have officially exercised the recruiting failure that was Joel Justus. In fact if Cal had dumped him earlier, Jaden Hardy would've likely been at UK instead of G-League--made a nice late run at him again post Golden Boy departure. The Golden Boy was also a major issue within the team's internal issues last year.

I have no inside info whatsoever, but I wondered from the day they hired Justus, ā€œwho the F is this guy?ā€ I had never heard of him, he didnā€™t seem to have any kind of background to justify being hired by a program like Kentucky. I am so glad coach O came back and brought Chin with him. I hope they pay him so much he will never want to leave again. Cal needs coach O like Rupp needed Harry Lancaster.

I have no inside info whatsoever, but I wondered from the day they hired Justus, ā€œwho the F is this guy?ā€ I had never heard of him, he didnā€™t seem to have any kind of background to justify being hired by a program like Kentucky. I am so glad coach O came back and brought Chin with him. I hope they pay him so much he will never want to leave again. Cal needs coach O like Rupp needed Harry Lancaster.
He was hired as an analyst and got elevated based on the fact the program got comfortable and class he was part of staff on got some nice players which none are actually attributed to the work he did. One media guy tried to gift him credit for Bam--that is a JOKE. Boo Williams helped the program with Bam--it was a war as Bam was part of an Adidas/Team Loaded deal where he was going to be sent to NC State with Dennis Smith JR and play for Mark Gottfried. I literally came over here with De'Aaron Fox news and that's when I made friends here--sharing his recruitment as Kobi Simmons was considered the "lock" in that class--but shared Fox, Bam, and Monk info for the board via friend and chance encounter with mutual person I knew who was friends with Fox when he transferred down to his HS but from Twin Cities.

As for last year, part of the issue was leading into it Justus assumed he was a lock to get job at UNC Wilmington and bombed the interview/they went with Kevin Keatts assistant who had been recently with them. Him not landing a HC job was not expected and then he just didn't relate well with new role having Payne gone.....new insertion of a "Cal guy" in Flint whose #1 job was really to tell Cal "This **** has to change" in evaluation of what was going on within the program via recruiting, player development, practices, player relations, etc......and Justus and several players were not on same page. He didn't help calm any matters and in 2 to 3 cases helped incite some problems. He was personally responsible for Askew being the PG they zeroed in on as well. That was his guy.....and we know how that turned out.

There were several people who defended him-mainly media people who he'd leak info to. They said nothing would change..it's Cal's issue, etc.....and low and behold he's gone....and look how things have/are changing. I'm sure it's just a coincidence. And for anyone who wants to give him a lot of hype for background contact with Shaedon Sharpe--that was never Justus problem, it was closing/finishing and his inability to know the right people or enough people who could get him ahead of things on what is going on behind the scenes. Sharpe attended HS in AZ, Justus is at ASU and didn't even visit Tempe. If he's that influential and tied in, at a least a visit takes place, right? Throw in the fact if he's half as great as many were hyping when truth was being shared about him, why didn't these programs who had openings on staff come calling: Duke, UNC, Kansas, Michigan State, Indiana, Arizona, Gonzaga, Illinois, Memphis ( I can go on) rather then see him end up at a school where Hurley could be fired if they have season like last year.

Sorry for PG-13 version but it's about pushing forward to '22 team and recruiting now and success is back but his nonsense was worth another parting shot seeing how many lies he told media members and how in over his head he was at a program of the stature of Kentucky.

Onto bigger and better things--and **** "Who's Next"--it's more like "We're Back".

We cut Penny in line and eating first again!
Penny ate first in the 2021 Class. He now has to go to the back of the line. Cal might have another era where he just hangs out at the buffet for 4-5 years. I will say though, Bates and Duren appear to be bigger fish than Sharpe and Livingston. Really interested to see what Penny puts together at Memphis though. They have some experience and talent besides the top 2 freshman. I donā€™t see why they wouldnā€™t be considered a Final 4 contender.

Penny ate first in the 2021 Class. He now has to go to the back of the line. Cal might have another era where he just hangs out at the buffet for 4-5 years. I will say though, Bates and Duren appear to be bigger fish than Sharpe and Livingston. Really interested to see what Penny puts together at Memphis though. They have some experience and talent besides the top 2 freshman. I donā€™t see why they wouldnā€™t be considered a Final 4 contender.
Their coach is Penny Hardaway. That's why. When Cal started rolling with top high school recruits, he'd already taken two lesser programs to the Final Four, and had developed into an elite coach. And still, it is far from easy to take young talent a long way -- see Coach K, Duke, 2019, with Zion, Barrett and Reddish.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT