ADVERTISEMENT

List of changes needed for refs

Jan 27, 2023
Robo refs aren’t viable yet. Let’s start with things that are:

1. I’ll start with something that never gets mentioned. Put a 6’7”+ guy on each crew. If vision is a problem for smaller players, then wouldn’t it track that it’s also a problem for 6’ nothing refs?
2. After game interviews
3. An independent review board outside of the ref’s association
4. A countrywide pool of refs instead of a conference wide pool of refs
5. Term limits (no more than 15 years total at Div I. No more than 5 years total as crew chief)

#3 is far and away the most important, others aren’t close. Need an independent way to evaluate/grade refs and reprimand/downgrade them.

#6 SEC FIRE MIKE EADES HEAD OFFICIALS FOR CONFERENCE! I won't go in depth of his corruption and hatred towards cal and kentucky but he did grow up in West Virginia! That's not the biggest issue but he does hate cal and uk. Heard it straight from his mouth 10 years ago didn't know I was like long uk fan living in east Tennessee now.

• Wow
Reactions: WildcatsAndBourbon
Just adopt FIBA rules and stop overcomplicating it w weird accessory rules.

They’ve thankfully made a huge improvement w the “drawing a charge” encouragement. Now take the judgement out of Goaltending w the FIBA rule. Once on the rim it’s a live ball for either team. Give the offense the benefit of the doubt on any 50/50 peak point balls….no reviews unless it’s under 2 min and it’s an immediate review; w a “clear possession” clause like a fumble.

Just adopt FIBA rules and stop overcomplicating it w weird accessory rules.

They’ve thankfully made a huge improvement w the “drawing a charge” encouragement. Now take the judgement out of Goaltending w the FIBA rule. Once on the rim it’s a live ball for either team. Give the offense the benefit of the doubt on any 50/50 peak point balls….no reviews unless it’s under 2 min and it’s an immediate review; w a “clear possession” clause like a fumble.
Eh I don’t care for the FIBA rule on goal tending. Because that rule can be interpreted to include hitting the rim and that encourages more basket interferences imo.

The goaltending rule is fine atm, the problem is refs are terrible at their jobs. The one called on Uk at LSU that wasn’t even on a downward motion should’ve gotten someone axed. A 5th grader could’ve interpreted that better. It was so painfully obvious even the announcers were like “WtH?”

Just start holding refs accountable for obvious bad calls (like that one). Sure, ever ref makes mistakes but when it’s that obvious, accountability needs to happen. Or the OoB call on Reed when the dude was looking right at his feet AND STILL MISSED IT. That was his only job in the moment and he still effed it up.

Eh I don’t care for the FIBA rule on goal tending. Because that rule can be interpreted to include hitting the rim and that encourages more basket interferences imo.

The goaltending rule is fine atm, the problem is refs are terrible at their jobs. The one called on Uk at LSU that wants even on a downward motion should’ve gotten someone axed. A 5th grader could’ve interpreted that better. It was sonpalijnly obvious even the announcers were like “WtH?”

Just start holding refs accountable for obvious bad calls (like that one). Sure, ever ref makes mistakes but when it’s that obvious, accountability needs to happen. Or the OoB call on Reed when the dude was looking right at his feet AND STILL MISSED IT. That was his only job in the moment and he still effed it up.
I understand your point. You just have to make the rule clearly state that the basket is basket interference. So no contact with net/rim. But if the ball takes a big bounce up off the rim then go get it….it takes out the hard to see judgement call of the cylinder rule. Offense putbacks and defenses picking the ball out of the air are now clear calls. You could say the ball can’t be in contact with any part of the basket…so guys are only jumping and going for it when it’s clearly off the rim…not rattling

SEC officials had to review it yesterday after the guy grabbed the rim.

There’s nothing to interpret there. Just being stupid.

Reactions: Calsmyguy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT