ADVERTISEMENT

Line-up I'd like to see at least tried... at least for a decent stretch of time

struggler

Sophomore
Jan 23, 2013
5 - Oscar - sub Onyenso
4 - Livingston - sub Toppin (see if Livingston can be more aggressive) likely split this time 50/50
3 - Theiro - sub IDK - but would like to see if Theiro can create more in this role
2 - Reeves - sub CJ - give CJ time enough to work through his slump - but Reeves far more consistent so far
1 - Wallace - sub Wheeler (no Wheeler at end of game).

May not work and I am sure someone else may have suggested this - but something I'd like to see tried. The default offense of pass in to Oscar may work on a team like Yale... and fine if you have a clear advantage in that position on any given night (IMO Oscar's biggest plus is his quickness (plus determination) and that could be used better against bigs like Dickinson) BUT - there are going to be games - many likely - where teams are committed to shutting him down as much as they can - and we need more than hoping shooters are hot - or that we can get put backs if shooters are off. The offense - especially in the second half - is one dimensional, predictable and honestly lazy(coaching-wise lazy). EVERYONE in the building knows they are going to cram it down to Oscar as option 1. Results in easy defensive plan from other coaches, turnovers.

Need to try something.

Last edited:
I would LOVE to see this lineup a few times for good long stretches. Starting and getting a good run before subs.
Yeah - give it a bit of time - don't yank someone on the first mistake... SOOO many mistakes now - no reason to be unreasonable with someone else's growth. If they are overmatched - or don't adjust - sure - sub.

My only worry is that we will be TOO small at PF, and playing 6-6 Chris Livingston there could backfire. It also means Oscar is going to have to carry quite a load. So while we probably shoot better and our offense looks better.. I think this lineup could cause some breakdowns defensively.

.. BUT I'd be willing to try it. It's better than other lineups I've seen Cal use lol.

This is an unpopular take, but I still wonder if Livingston COULD make the 3-spot work. Very athletic, he CAN hit the 3, and he'd have the potential to really lock down the other wings. But to do this, we have to play Wallace at the 1 and Reeves at the 2.

May not work and I am sure someone else may have suggested this - but something I'd like to see tried. The default offense of pass in to Oscar may work on a team like Yale... and fine if you have a clear advantage in that position on any given night (IMO Oscar's biggest plus is his quickness (plus determination) and that could be used better against bigs like Dickinson) BUT - there are going to be games - many likely - where teams are committed to shutting him down as much as they can - and we need more than hoping shooters are hot - or that we can get put backs if shooters are off. The offense - especially in the second half - is one dimensional, predictable and honestly lazy. EVERYONE in the building knows they are going to cram it down to Oscar as option 1. Results in easy defensive plan from other coaches, turnovers.
This is my fear. Oscar can't be the go-to guy every time. It just isn't sustainable. We will lose some more games because of our inability to shoot well or hell, finish well.

I understand the desire to get someone in the 4 spot that can give us more production than Toppin or Collins. But with Livingston in, it is defensively just like last year with Brooks. Oscar is now the rim protector and at risk for foul trouble or the lane becomes open for layups.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I understand the desire to get someone in the 4 spot that can give us more production than Toppin or Collins. But with Livingston in, it is defensively just like last year with Brooks. Oscar is now the rim protector and at risk for foul trouble or the lane becomes open for layups.
Tshiebwe was rarely in foul trouble last year. Livingston has way more potential than Brooks. I understand the need for shot blocking/rim protection, but you have to sacrifice something. Give me better offense over better defense. Just my philosophy.

Reactions: struggler
I’m not a card carrying member of the Thiero fan club like some on here. I don’t see him as a savior, but I can understand wanting to give him more minutes. I wouldn’t start him, but I might give him some run as a sub at the 3. My lineup would be Wallace, Fredrick, Reeves, Livingston, and Tshiebwe. Wheeler, Thiero, Toppin, and Onyenso off the bench. Ware and Collins getting spot minutes.

This is my fear. Oscar can't be the go-to guy every time. It just isn't sustainable. We will lose some more games because of our inability to shoot well or hell, finish well.
I agree. Imo, Oscar isn’t a go to type of guy..that’s not where he thrives. His money is made off of offensive rebounds and putbacks. His post moves are kind of limited and has struggled with double teams at times.

Make no mistake. Oscar is the go to guy and will be all year. Good things happen a lot more often than not when he gets touches especially late in games. As far as Thiero goes I'd like to see him get more minutes but he's not ready to be a starter yet IMO. Livingston needs to play more than Collins at this point until Damion can find his game. I don't think he's made a fg from anywhere other than lay up/dunk all year.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
I agree. Imo, Oscar isn’t a go to type of guy..that’s not where he thrives. His money is made off of offensive rebounds and putbacks. His post moves are kind of limited and has struggled with double teams at times.
I think Tshiebwe can be the go to guy inside, but we’ve got to get players around him that will keep him from being double teamed. If he is one on one, very few players in the country can stop him. The issue is that teams can double the post and/or sag off of both Wheeler and Toppin. Hard to go through Tshiebwe when he has three guys around him at all times. Surround Tshiebwe with shooters and watch the offense take off.

I’m tired of playing in rock fights because we can’t score in the halfcourt.

And as for you, “but the defense will suffer” people, we’ve done it your way and have nothing to show for it. Cal needs to get some guys on the floor that can put the ball in the basket instead of a bunch of athletes that can’t find the basket, “but they can defend.”

I mean we’re gonna have to do some tinkering with CJ and Thiero both but this is a perfectly good way to do it. And beyond that there shouldn’t even be any question: this is our team if we want to win big in March/hopefully April.

I would just like to see Cal try different lineups to see what works. It feels like he is putting the same guys in the same spots every game (and really every year). I wish he would try different combos. He needs to experiment a little more until he finds something that works. I think that is what we all want. Everyone is suggesting all these different lineups and we never see them enough to know which ones really work.

5 - Oscar - sub Onyenso
4 - Livingston - sub Toppin (see if Livingston can be more aggressive) likely split this time 50/50
3 - Theiro - sub IDK - but would like to see if Theiro can create more in this role
2 - Reeves - sub CJ - give CJ time enough to work through his slump - but Reeves far more consistent so far

May not work and I am sure someone else may have suggested this - but something I'd like to see tried. The default offense of pass in to Oscar may work on a team like Yale... and fine if you have a clear advantage in that position on any given night (IMO Oscar's biggest plus is his quickness (plus determination) and that could be used better against bigs like Dickinson) BUT - there are going to be games - many likely - where teams are committed to shutting him down as much as they can - and we need more than hoping shooters are hot - or that we can get put backs if shooters are off. The offense - especially in the second half - is one dimensional, predictable and honestly lazy(coaching-wise lazy). EVERYONE in the building knows they are going to cram it down to Oscar as option 1. Results in easy defensive plan from other coaches, turnovers.

Need to try something.
I would love to se that line up. People worrying about size at the 4, why? It's not like Toppin is giving us rebounds or defense at the 4.

That's a winning line up. And a much better defensive team.

Last edited:
5 - Oscar - sub Onyenso

Need to try something.
Crazy how so many of us want this exact lineup. What's the worst that could happen? They don't perform and Cal gets to say I told you so? He does that anyway, even when he's wrong.

My fantasy team lineup and minute distribution needs someone else to play about 15 minutes at the SF spot (with the 80 min. of 2G & SF being split something like 10 to Wallace, 25 to Fredrick, and 30 to Reeves). Thiero might not be productive enough yet to deserve that many minutes, but I like his skill set and what I've seen from him in games so far.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT