ADVERTISEMENT

LHL: Could Calipari play 4 PGs at the same time?

I could see a lineup of Wagner, shep, reeves, Theiro and edwards. That is a 4 guard lineup by this articles definition. Of course I don’t consider Theiro a guard however. Could replace Theiro with dilly and then you do have a 4 guard lineup which could be a fun lineup against a cupcake for at least a Tv segment but that would be about it.

I used to edit all my guys to the highest height and boost their ovr all the way up in video games and it worked perfectly! Cal needs to figure this crap out

• Haha
Reactions: DreadLox
He STARTED 3 PGs the 15-16 season (Ulis, Murray, Briscoe). And again 19-20 (Hagans, Maxey, Quickley). He’s played or started 2 PGs many times.

But 4, that would just be stupid both defensively and rebounds. And rebounding may be our weakness this year.
Interesting... Because Briscoe wasn't a point guard. Maxey and Quickley weren't point guards. Murray really isn't even a point guard, he is just put in that spot by the Nuggets because they have Jokic on the floor as well.

Interesting... Because Briscoe wasn't a point guard. Maxey and Quickley weren't point guards. Murray really isn't even a point guard, he is just put in that spot by the Nuggets because they have Jokic on the floor as well.
LITERALLY every single thing you said was wrong. Well done. That's a tough thing to do. LOL

LITERALLY every single thing you said was wrong. Well done. That's a tough thing to do. LOL
Their first post too....
200w.gif

Reactions: kywildcat41086
You waited 3 months for your first post to be this? Every one of those guys listed were recruited to UK as Point Guards.

He STARTED 3 PGs the 15-16 season (Ulis, Murray, Briscoe). And again 19-20 (Hagans, Maxey, Quickley). He’s played or started 2 PGs many times.

But 4, that would just be stupid both defensively and rebounds. And rebounding may be our weakness this year.

Maxey came in a combo guard. I thought Quickley did too, but I don't remember.

I thought Murray came in as a combo guard too. Either way, Briscoe was a very good college guard that couldn't shoot it in the ocean. When I think of running 3 guards, I want to see 3 guys that can shoot and spread the court. Briscoe may as well of been a 6'4" power forward that could pass and dribble.

PG is thrown around very loosely here. Thiero isn’t a PG and would honestly fit in fine at the 3 or 4 sometimes. Reed also isn’t a typical PG but if we want to categorize them both as that to “play 4 PGs” then sure. Just seems silly.

Briscoe played SF for us, but in all the HS recruiting pubs he was a PG. I think Murray, Maxey and Quickley were classified as CG (combo guard) meaning combination point/shooting guard.

My opinion would be that right now, Cal has a team that comes much closer than generally ever happens to letting you play for point guards at once, if you wanted to try that.

But I honestly don’t think Cal can think about it flexibly enough these days to be able to space the court and swing the ball and set up shooters well enough to do that to advantage. He is inching toward modernizing, and I am cautiously optimistic about that. But let’s try to crawl before we try to fly.

It's true Briscoe never played point at UK, but he was the No. 1 ranked point guard in the country out of HS. He ended up playing the 3 spot here only because there were a couple of other guys (Ulis and Fox) during that period who were even more suited to run point. He was a point who simply never got the chance to play his natural position in college.

I think your argument works better with Murray, who's now being credited with being the point for the world champions. He's not a true point, but you don't need one when you've got Jokic. When you run your offense through the best passing center who ever lived,, everyone else can be a wing.

Just because you "can" doesn't mean you are. Briscoe, Murray, Maxey, Quickley.. all shooting guards.

Well, I believe Murray, Maxey and Quickley are all playing PG in the NBA. Doesn't necessarily mean they all did here.

Well, I believe Murray, Maxey and Quickley are all playing PG in the NBA. Doesn't necessarily mean they all did here.
Murray does and I explained why it works, because he plays with Jokic who essentially plays point from the 5. Murray has fallen into the right spot for his skillset. Maxey plays the 2. Harden is Philly's point. Quickley also pays the 2. An undersized 2, but that's been a theme under Call recently with guys like Quickley, Maxey, Washington, Wallace and now Dillingham.

Just because you "can" doesn't mean you are. Briscoe, Murray, Maxey, Quickley.. all shooting guards.
Briscoe not a “shooting” anything! 🤣

But again, it’s already been shown they were all classified as PGs when they came to UK.

Briscoe not a “shooting” anything! 🤣

But again, it’s already been shown they were all classified as PGs when they came to UK.
Briscoe definitely wasn't a shooter, but you surprisingly don't have to be able to shoot the ball to be a shooting guard. Sometimes just being a great defender works. Briscoe did come in as a "point guard." He definitely wasn't one. Murray came in as a SG and played SG next to an actual PG in Ulis. Quickley came in listed as a PG but he was never a primary ball handler because Hagans was there the entire time he was and Hagans ran the point as a freshman and a sophomore... Because he was actually a PG. Maxey also played with a real point in Hagans and it translated well for him to the NBA as he isn't a point guard there either. Briscoe, Quickley and Maxey were guards. But they weren't point guards. They may have been in high school, but that didn't translate for them in college. They were just better suited as SGs. Briscoe though was a bulldog which let him play the 3 as well.

I could see a lineup of Wagner, shep, reeves, Theiro and edwards. That is a 4 guard lineup by this articles definition. Of course I don’t consider Theiro a guard however. Could replace Theiro with dilly and then you do have a 4 guard lineup which could be a fun lineup against a cupcake for at least a Tv segment but that would be about it.
That lineup would be evicerated by anybody any good.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Some of these media guys are getting up there in age. Cal probably said "There's a lot going on this year between practices and watching LHOTP in the den. Lots of the guys like hanging out down there, and between lunch and Ellen's brownies WE'RE THINKING OF RUNNING FOUR DART BOARDS AT THE SAME TIME"

PG is thrown around very loosely here. Thiero isn’t a PG and would honestly fit in fine at the 3 or 4 sometimes. Reed also isn’t a typical PG but if we want to categorize them both as that to “play 4 PGs” then sure. Just seems silly.

I think originally Cal was jjst alluding to the fact all of them grew up playing PG as their primary position thru HS.

They all are skilled and have the mindset of a PG even if they outgrew it (Thiero) and that is the reason for things like our high assist rate.

I don’t think they would eviscerated but they would definitely be challenged on defending big lineups and rebounding.
Agreed and he totally ignored the parts against a cupcake and for at most a 3-4 minute stretch. Likewise that lineup would be tough to defend against so it could equate to a high scoring little segment of the game.

FWIW, not even Cal ever suggested we play four PGs at the same time. The only one who did was some attention-seeking internet writer desperate for attention. Don't fall for his clickbait ploy.

We're obviously not gonna do that ...as evidenced by the fact that we don't even have four real point guards on this entire roster.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT