ADVERTISEMENT

Lexington shootings

Just read in WSJ (not exactly a left wing rag) that violent crime is down all over the country. Sorry, this message will not allow me to post a link, so hope this works:

The part theyre omitting or missing is the fact its still well above pre 2020 levels. It went up 400% in some places, like Louisville. The fact it dropped some from a 400% increase is nice but hardly a victory.

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
The part theyre omitting or missing is the fact its still well above pre 2020 levels. It went up 400% in some places, like Louisville. The fact it dropped some from a 400% increase is nice but hardly a victory.
IIRC, Article says murder rate less than 2019, and dropping to 50 year lows

Did you actually read it?

Reactions: KAB Cats and chroix
I don't care if some mutant combo of AIDS, ebola, and the flu comes down the pike, any public health nitwit that EVER advocates for any type of lockdown should be mocked and, if they persist, put in stocks in the town square and have rotten fruit hurled at them until they shut the eff up.

Those assholes have blood on their hands, imo.

Crime rates are down, you see.

This was one of the points i was leading up to. Any stories reporting crime is down either 1) focuses on only convictions, which we know are down and is thr cause for the crime spree or 2) is because of select cities intentionally not reporting some crime because the numbers are outrageous. Those cities typically include the defund the police cities and other usual suspects.

Before we once again get the talking point that no one eliminated the police - yes we know. Thats been raised and addressed a few times.

The article I linked from the WSJ specifically quoted the FBI among others.

Your free source is something called "endwokeness"

One source is unlike the other

But seems like your mind is made up that crime is overwhelming so I think we are done here.

But seems like your mind is made up that crime is overwhelming so I think we are done here.
If you truly care to learn about potential data issues from the FBI, here ya go:

The cities are openly withholding data from the fbi. Granted the cited source maybe not the best but its out in the open and noone denies it.

The accurate position is crime dropped from mind-blowing 2020 levels but is still well above pre 2020 levels. This despite many of the most jailed offenses, marijuana possession, now being legalized.

Race isn’t a factor. That’s the point. Assume all murderers are white. It doesn’t change the root causes of the problems.

Okay, a murderer is black. Still subject to same factors as all other humans. That’s the point.
Six flags is pretty expensive to get into. Color of skin, I agree shouldn’t matter—but culture??

Meanwhile in Dallas

No father in the house. Breakdown of traditional family. Raised to show no respect for people and property.

If you look in the comments, you’ll see responsible POC expressing embarrassment at this mass behavior.

Last edited:
A couple of local examples of absence of toughness on crime:

Jamarcus Glover, the exbf of Breonna Taylor. Had he been properly incarcerated, multiple times multiple lives would've been saved and a snowball of destruction avoided.

Here's some local coverage of him:
He is now, finally in prison for 7 years...after the Taylor killing, riots (including multiple killings) and direct involvement in fentanyl trafficking that led to a 13 year old death.

2nd: Over two years after a dude shot up a building and tried to assassinate a mayoral candidate in Louisville, there has still not been any trial/resolution to his case. Thankfully, he is still in custody...however, if he didnt go at a politician, who knows.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Six flags is pretty expensive to get into. Color of skin, I agree shouldn’t matter—but culture??

Meanwhile in Dallas

No father in the house. Breakdown of traditional family. Raised to show no respect for people and property.

If you look in the comments, you’ll see responsible POC expressing embarrassment at this mass behavior.

While I understand the point you are trying to make, the thing being called black culture is a symptom more than a cause the way I see it. For example, we have a huge population of incarcerated black men, the black population is disproportionately affected by poverty, we have issues with inner-city public education & discipline, and we have millions of kids put in inner-city environments where they are raised surrounded by gangs, crime and poverty.

For all these things above we can insert something like "Well, don't get arrested", "Study harder", "Don't glamourize gang violence". But stating these things doesn't change the reality many people are in right now.

Mentioned before that I've worked with the poorest of the poor in the city of Louisville. That definitely contributes to my worldview. Realistically, some of these kids just never have a real shot to escape (of course idealistically we can say everyone has self-determination, but I think the complexity of that is understated). Hard to type how bad some of those conditions can be. Like, we want to talk culture, and meanwhile we have 10 year olds with roaches on their bed pillows.

I don't know. I have thought a lot about this. I honestly don't have a solution, which is a kind of depressing thought. It's like death by 1,000 paper cuts.

Reactions: chroix and Tskware
While I understand the point you are trying to make, the thing being called black culture is a symptom more than a cause the way I see it. For example, we have a huge population of incarcerated black men, the black population is disproportionately affected by poverty, we have issues with inner-city public education & discipline, and we have millions of kids put in inner-city environments where they are raised surrounded by gangs, crime and poverty.

For all these things above we can insert something like "Well, don't get arrested", "Study harder", "Don't glamourize gang violence". But stating these things doesn't change the reality many people are in right now.

Mentioned before that I've worked with the poorest of the poor in the city of Louisville. That definitely contributes to my worldview. Realistically, some of these kids just never have a real shot to escape (of course idealistically we can say everyone has self-determination, but I think the complexity of that is understated). Hard to type how bad some of those conditions can be. Like, we want to talk culture, and meanwhile we have 10 year olds with roaches on their bed pillows.

I don't know. I have thought a lot about this. I honestly don't have a solution, which is a kind of depressing thought. It's like death by 1,000 paper cuts.

They (we as society), need to keep black families intact as best as possible. That's going to be the fastest way to correct this. Households really need both a mom and a dad and that really seems to have fallen apart in the 50's 60's and 70's. There WAS a growing middle class for blacks, but it seems to be mostly gone now.

Stop incarcerations for weed crimes will help, but my worry is that those who are already going down the criminal tract, are just going to replace weed with something else.

Edit: In all of this, the AA community is going to have to meet us part of the way there. We can't just keep forgiving every violent crime just to keep these households intact. But maybe if we can keep the families together, then in 10-20 years we start to produce families with values, discipline, etc. But it's going to take ALL parties.

Last edited:
Reactions: entropy13

100s of thousands in rural America would be shocked to hear about how only one race suffers poverty. Ky has some of the poorest zipcodes in the country and all of them predominantly white.

Noone is targeting anyone in metro areas. In metro areas there is one group by far committing more crime than anyone else.

By contrast in the above mentioned rural areas, blacks barely commit any crime and virtually zero violent crime. This despite being no richer or poorer than their white counterparts.

So any attempt to tie it to race or poverty is just lazy and does nothing to solve the problem. In fact its worse because it avoids the discussion of any real solutions.

The only real solution is a simultaneous, multi pronged approach:

1) consistently enforce the law without broad stroke race or financial favoritism. This will simultaneously a) remove the offender from society, to protect law abiding people and 2) create a deterrent when people see the law actually applied.

2) take all the money spent on poor and racial problems and focus it on the family. We know for s fact the involvement of both parents is a huge indicator to future success and assimilation in the community.

The problem is it will take years to show significant impact. Maybe even an entire generation. Politics lends itself to neither long term solutions nor ones focused on personal accountability. So none of the above will happen. Instead the message will be to promote victim culture and round and around we go.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
100s of thousands in rural America would be shocked to hear about how only one race suffers poverty. Ky has some of the poorest zipcodes in the country and all of them predominantly white.

Noone is targeting anyone in metro areas. In metro areas there is one group by far committing more crime than anyone else.

By contrast in the above mentioned rural areas, blacks barely commit any crime and virtually zero violent crime. This despite being no richer or poorer than their white counterparts.

So any attempt to tie it to race or poverty is just lazy and does nothing to solve the problem. In fact its worse because it avoids the discussion of any real solutions.

The only real solution is a simultaneous, multi pronged approach:

1) consistently enforce the law without broad stroke race or financial favoritism. This will simultaneously a) remove the offender from society, to protect law abiding people and 2) create a deterrent when people see the law actually applied.

2) take all the money spent on poor and racial problems and focus it on the family. We know for s fact the involvement of both parents is a huge indicator to future success and assimilation in the community.

The problem is it will take years to show significant impact. Maybe even an entire generation. Politics lends itself to neither long term solutions nor ones focused on personal accountability. So none of the above will happen. Instead the message will be to promote victim culture and round and around we go.

Just because you feel a certain way doesn't make it true. Rural areas are not an exception to the correlation between crime, poverty and education. Poor rural areas certainly have a different circumstances, mostly due to differences in population density, but they have challenges just as enormous as the inner city.

Here's a great map if you want to see for yourself.

Screenshot-2024-06-14-124120.png

Just because you feel a certain way doesn't make it true. Rural areas are not an exception to the correlation between crime, poverty and education. Poor rural areas certainly have a different circumstances, mostly due to differences in population density, but they have challenges just as enormous as the inner city.

Rural areas certainly have plenty of issues with poverty.. but it appears that a visitor, or even a citizen, is inherently safer loving in these poor rural white areas, than inner city black communities.. despite there being probably just as many guns per person on those rural areas. That's the part that has to be addressed. Kids and others can live in these areas and generally not have their life or well-being threatened.

Rural areas certainly have plenty of issues with poverty.. but it appears that a visitor, or even a citizen, is inherently safer loving in these poor rural white areas, than inner city black communities.. despite there being probably just as many guns per person on those rural areas. That's the part that has to be addressed. Kids and others can live in these areas and generally not have their life or well-being threatened.

Well, crime statistics show a greater crime rate in Eastern Kentucky than Louisville per capita. So, while you could say you don’t feel safer in a certain neighborhood in Louisville, factually you’re more likely to encounter violent crime anywhere in one of those counties compared to the broader city.

Most cities have a greater diversification in economic strata than rural areas. So, while true one neighborhood may be dangerous, it’s also true there’s even more that are not.

I appreciate the passion you have for people.

At the same time I don’t think we should chalk behavior up to poverty. It’s a terrible road to go down because we discount personal responsibility.

I had a relative who married a (white) guy. The guy was pretty adamant that his choice to deal drugs was because of how poor his family was. Made me sick to hear that crap.

There is a problem with culture. Somebody is going to have to be able to talk about it without fear of cancellation.

Well, crime statistics show a greater crime rate in Eastern Kentucky than Louisville per capita. So, while you could say you don’t feel safer in a certain neighborhood in Louisville, factually you’re more likely to encounter violent crime anywhere in one of those counties compared to the broader city.

Most cities have a greater diversification in economic strata than rural areas. So, while true one neighborhood may be dangerous, it’s also true there’s even more that are not.

Well do we know what crimes? I guess it's possible that there are more violent crimes per capital in a rural area than in densely populated innercities. But I'd need to see more data on that. Because for example, how many people are catching a stray bullet in Eastern KY than in Louisville? Is there even a per capita statistic on this seeing as how it probably has never happened in EKY?

I get the sense that the crimes in these rural areas are drugs (the white people kind), domestic violence, DUI. Which are still problematic don't get me wrong.. but there's inherently safe for the public if they choose to go there (aside from DUI). But inner cities you have more gang violence, robbery, destruction of property, their own drugs and drug trafficking, their own domestic abuse and DUI.

People don't avoid the rural area because it's unsafe.. they avoid it because there's nothing to do there. There's no reason to be out there unless you want to be out there.

I appreciate the passion you have for people.

At the same time I don’t think we should chalk behavior up to poverty. It’s a terrible road to go down because we discount personal responsibility.

I had a relative who married a (white) guy. The guy was pretty adamant that his choice to deal drugs was because of how poor his family was. Made me sick to hear that crap.

There is a problem with culture. Somebody is going to have to be able to talk about it without fear of cancellation.

I kind of feel bad responding to every post to be honest, but I think both things are true. There are people who use it as an excuse AND there are people who didn't choose to exist in that scenario.

On some level promoting personal responsibility is the only way out because American society has shown little ability to break the cycles. Even with that being true, it's just not going to happen for a lot of people. Maybe it's just human nature. I don't know.

Well do we know what crimes? I guess it's possible that there are more violent crimes per capital in a rural area than in densely populated innercities. But I'd need to see more data on that. Because for example, how many people are catching a stray bullet in Eastern KY than in Louisville?

I get the sense that the crimes in these rural areas are drugs (the white people kind), domestic violence, DUI. Which are still problematic don't get me wrong.. but there's inherently safe for the public if they choose to go there (aside from DUI). But inner cities you have more gang violence, robbery, destruction of property, their own drugs and drug trafficking, their own domestic abuse and DUI.

People don't avoid the rural area because it's unsafe.. they avoid it because there's nothing to do there. There's no reason to be out there unless you want to be out there.

Yes that map is broken up by property crimes & violent crimes. Eastern Kentucky is towards the top in both. Population density is the biggest difference. The west end in Louisville has a population of 50,000+. Pikeville has a population of 7,000. So, of course, you will see a higher frequency. There's also more opportunity for conflict when there are more people and commerce.

I kind of feel bad responding to every post to be honest, but I think both things are true. There are people who use it as an excuse AND there are people who didn't choose to exist in that scenario.

On some level promoting personal responsibility is the only way out because American society has shown little ability to break the cycles. Even with that being true, it's just not going to happen for a lot of people. Maybe it's just human nature. I don't know.

Yes that map is broken up by property crimes & violent crimes. Eastern Kentucky is towards the top in both.

Weird

Because by me in New York, it ain't this way. There are more violent crimes per capita in Albany than there are in Berne. You are less safe in Albany, whether it's per capita or not, than you are in Berne.

Weird

Because by me in New York, it ain't this way. There are more violent crimes per capita in Albany than there are in Berne. You are less safe in Albany, whether it's per capita or not, than you are in Berne.

Eastern Kentucky is an extreme when it comes to this as it's one of the poorer rural regions in America, but also why it's a good example. Im not saying rural means poor though to be clear, but generally in any region, there is a strong correlation between education, poverty and crime.

KAB is doing a great job of beating around the proverbial bush by trying to not say what we all know to be true. All the stats in the world don't change that.

KAB is doing a great job of beating around the proverbial bush by trying to not say what we all know to be true. All the stats in the world don't change that.

If facts don’t change your mind, nothing will my friend.

Back to the OT for a minute, just happened to be flying to Omaha this AM, and sitting across from me were two people, a woman from Seattle who had been visiting Lexington all weekend, and a young man from Chicago here for a day or two on business. Both were raving about how nice Lexington was and how much they enjoyed it. And FWIW, so did the Oregon State fans I talked to last weekend, who had never visited. Just a little counterpoint to the "Lexington = Baghdad" crew.

Back to the OT for a minute, just happened to be flying to Omaha this AM, and sitting across from me were two people, a woman from Seattle who had been visiting Lexington all weekend, and a young man from Chicago here for a day or two on business. Both were raving about how nice Lexington was and how much they enjoyed it. And FWIW, so did the Oregon State fans I talked to last weekend, who had never visited. Just a little counterpoint to the "Lexington = Baghdad" crew.

In an area where everyone is poor, of course its poor people committing crime. Wow thanks for that info from godknowswhat.org.

Once again, youre looking for facts to fit your opinion rather than letting the facts form your opinion.

In an area where everyone is poor, of course its poor people committing crime. Wow thanks for that info from godknowswhat.org.

Once again, youre looking for facts to fit your opinion rather than letting the facts form your opinion.

Ah, so back to your point that being soft on crime is what led to an increase in murders in Louisville and Lexington, what is it that led to an increase in Pike County?

I’ll hang up and listen.

• Haha
Reactions: bigblueinsanity
I hope you are self-quarantining amid this epic spate of violence in the Bluegrass. Preferably you're in an interior room or basement with no windows to the outside in order to minimize the chance of catching a stray piece of lead.
Yet another recent June 2024 shooting in Lexington by a fine group of citizens. Please just be aware of your surroundings.

Remember, be careful about walking your dogs and if you can, dodge those bullets!

Posting an article from June 7th of a shooting as a response to someone who simply said they talked to a couple people not from the area who really enjoyed their stay in Lex, like, what is that? Maybe Tskware should've scared them with tales of murder and told them they were wrong to rave about the city. Good grief...

Anyway, with one poster saying someone needs to talk about "it" without fear of cancelation and another saying someone is beating around the bush by trying to not say what we all know to be true, do some here really just want to say "it's the blacks" without actually saying that? Be honest if that's the case. I recall someone once in the political thread posting that America's problems stem from black communities. Granted, there are problems in those communities but laying all of America's problems at the feet of African Americans is pretty tacky and ignorant. FYI, that post did receive several likes so I guess there are some here who really feel that way. At the same time, are we supposed to ignore the issues in EKY for instance? I like Matt Jones but he paints this amazing picture of EKY as if it's a Bob Ross painting. I've got a couple friends who live in EKY and they tell me about the problems that plague that side of the state quite often. Posters on CI really enjoy this city vs town thing. Like, let's talk about Louisville, Lexington, and Chicago but not talk about EKY pretty much being a shitshow of pills and crime. Can it still be a beautiful place? Of course, but it's also a hotbed of drugs, crime, and violence.

We foster- parented for a while, and learned how much I disliked biological parents. Then I got to thinking about who to blame? They were probably brought up the same way, and their birth parents before them. It’s a horrible cycle and a culture inherited—but at what point do we as a society say “enough..you’re now accountable and in charge of ending this generational madness”?

Ah, so back to your point that being soft on crime is what led to an increase in murders in Louisville and Lexington, what is it that led to an increase in Pike County?

I’ll hang up and listen.

I wish i didn't waste my time on that link. A Pinterest link from a random.org with zero context, not even year, and zero mention of methodology.

Youre just advocating a position yet again rather than genuinely discussing a problem.

June 13, 2024

Police say they received a shots fired call at the 400 block of Elm Street just before 2:30 p.m.
Woman was pistol whipped. Her boyfriend tried to defend her with a stick. Apparently happenned on June 13th. Police say the suspect fled the area, and while he was fleeing, he fired his gun. No one was hit.

I wish i didn't waste my time on that link. A Pinterest link from a random.org with zero context, not even year, and zero mention of methodology.

Youre just advocating a position yet again rather than genuinely discussing a problem.

The methodology has been pretty popular lately. It’s called “math”.

And why can I disprove all your arguments in like 5 minutes? I can cite 10 other corroborating sources but the basis of your argument is that it’s “the source”. Time to hang this one up.

The methodology has been pretty popular lately. It’s called “math”.

And why can I disprove all your arguments in like 5 minutes? I can cite 10 other corroborating sources but the basis of your argument is that it’s “the source”. Time to hang this one up.

Who would know because they dont show any math or methodology. Understandable since its from a Pinterest post.

The only math anyone should be relying on from Pinterest is measurements for a recipe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT