ADVERTISEMENT

Lewis or Brown?

I hope you’re correct and that the player sticks around until he graduates or is ready for NBA. (Whichever comes first.)

I think experienced guard play is important. Experience with the coach and system is even better than bringing in a portal player for one year.

I’m fine with a couple of the top end recruits mixed in with some very good 3-4 year recruits.
I wouldn’t go placing bets on that info but it’s what i was told. Of course 5 minutes after I was told it could be outdated, who knows.

Do we know who this someone smart is?
I don’t know, who do you know?

I’m not selling it as I have a connection, I don’t. I just asked someone smart on this stuff. I was more interested in Mullins after the the IU guy came spreading news Mullins was not going UK. I’ve been around RR something like 15-20yrs. I’ve never said anything of value in recruiting because I don’t have connections.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
I think that will change some now; players without much chance of making the NBA can now leave college as millionaires(Okafor for example). Perry and Noah are two that might not have an NBA future but could make big bucks as a junior and senior in college so you can make an argument for redshirting any that aren't in the regular rotation.
I agree, there are tons of fringe level Pros, or European type pros who can definitely make bank on college now and it wouldn’t be a bad idea to hone their game and extend their careers in college to make the most $ they can. Wait their turn and truly be ready when they step on the floor.

I don’t know, who do you know?

I’m not selling it as I have a connection, I don’t. I just asked someone smart on this stuff. I was more interested in Mullins after the the IU guy came spreading news Mullins was not going UK. I’ve been around RR something like 15-20yrs. I’ve never said anything of value in recruiting because I don’t have connections.
None of us do, we are all fans retelling what a person told us in a random setting or we saw online. As for me, I know absolutely nobody, my family member is a booster for UK, but I don’t go to them and say give me scoop on Kentucky, because they don’t know anything

Reactions: Skyguyb27
for those who say they want Perry at PG next year, I want to see if he can defend his position this year. And if he has enough foot speed to play DI. We all know he can shoot. Of course I prolly would have said the same thing about Reed Sheperd before he joined the team.
Personally, I think he looks quicker than Reed did in high school, but that might just be me. So much has been made of Pope's system and how it emphasizes cuts and movement to keep defenses on edge rather than just driving to the basket. MAYBE Perry doesn't have to be the most athletic guy on the court to succeed in our team's new system. I see basketball IQ, vision, passing, and shooting as being more important in the new UK than the old.

And if we're talking defensive speed, Pope did alright at BYU with guys who looked slower than molasses in winter. Lots of unknowns.

That said, an in-state star with a year of experience in the system should absolutely have an advantage against anyone we bring in. This isn't drive and then draw a foul or kick anymore. Supposedly.

Last edited:
Reactions: G-PIP
I think that will change some now; players without much chance of making the NBA can now leave college as millionaires(Okafor for example). Perry and Noah are two that might not have an NBA future but could make big bucks as a junior and senior in college so you can make an argument for redshirting any that aren't in the regular rotation.
Kids who aren't developed or good enough to play and have to redshirt aren't going to warrant loads of NIL money.

Personally, I think he looks quicker than Reed did in high school, but that might just be me. So much has been made of Pope's system and how it emphasizes cuts and movement to keep defenses on edge rather than just driving to the basket. MAYBE Perry doesn't have to be the most athletic guy on the court to succeed in our team's new system. I see basketball IQ, vision, passing, and shooting as being more important in the new UK than the old.

And if we're talking defensive speed, Pope did alright at BYU with guys who looked slower than molasses in winter. Lots of unknowns.

That said, an in-state star with a year of experience in the system should absolutely have an advantage against anyone we bring in. This isn't drive and then draw a foul or kick anymore. Supposedly.
Watching Perry a few times in high school, I don’t remember seeing another high school player that moved as much as he did - almost constantly in motion. I suppose as the focus of defenses he had to learn to play that way to get the shots the team wanted him to get. I think that movement will be a huge factor in how successful Perry becomes. At a minimum, I think it will allow him to be a productive player and show up on the other teams scouting report.

Watching Perry a few times in high school, I don’t remember seeing another high school player that moved as much as he did - almost constantly in motion. I suppose as the focus of defenses he had to learn to play that way to get the shots the team wanted him to get. I think that movement will be a huge factor in how successful Perry becomes. At a minimum, I think it will allow him to be a productive player and show up on the other teams scouting report.
Reminded me of how Indiana used Steve Alford. But you gotta be pretty old to remember that, lol .

Reactions: G-PIP
Reminded me of how Indiana used Steve Alford. But you gotta be pretty old to remember that, lol .
Lol. I'm old enough. And that is a good analogy. Of course, Alford was bigger; and that's my only concern - not about Perry being a good player, but as to his ceiling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT