ADVERTISEMENT

Lets Be Real. This Team

Smell this!!!
11664133-large.jpg

Way to early to throw this team down the crapper. We all knew we would take some lumps early and in the SEC. This team most likely have 8-10 losses, but they will improve. Just try to enjoy watching the improvement

We go through this same thing every single year.

For the most part, we struggle early. There's countless examples of this.

But by March, Cal and the team always seem to get it right.

Now there is a difference with this team..........there's no John Wall, Anthony Davis, Monk etc etc.

That being said history suggests they will find a way.

That's where I'm at. We're missing a dominant playmaker that we are used to having, but I think there's some real talent on this team. I think we have the ability to be very good this year.

Reactions: Atrain7732
Excellent take.

I'm glad teams never make progress after November and always stay the same.

Since you've offered this astute analysis, I guess I'll not watch the games.

Let's face it, this year we don't have the talent that will create production this year.. And be too young this will lead to nowhere. I'm going to treat this with low expectations and just be happy to see this team make the tourney, and hope by March they mold together..

Kansas played horrible and was missing 3 key role players last night and they handled the game the whole way out. Yes I know we were missing players too, but its different on many levels.

Vermont or Utah Valley could've played with or beat Kansas last night.
Worst post ever?

Ladies and Gents, let's not forget: this was merely a non-conference game in the Middle of November. Sure, it was Kansas's Superbowl, but for us it was meaningless in the grand scheme of what we're trying to achieve.

Okay, of course it would have been nice to further assert our dominance over the Chokehawks and the Toupee, but Let's keep perspective in mind as we move forward to bigger and more important challenges.

These three things I know are true: (1) We still have some of the best talent in the country. (2) We still have the best tournament coach. And, (3) most importantly, no one has played better than us in March and April since 2010. No one has been more successful than us when the lights are brightest and the Domes are biggest.

Believe me when I say this, "This team is going to turn the corner!" I have full confidence in that prediction, and as should you. And we haven't seen even a single tweak. So I'm going to stay hopeful for the time being. My heart is full, my eyes are clear, and I know these CATS "can't lose" if they really lock-in, commit themselves, and play with the kind of character, love and soul we've come to expect.

I would encourage you and yours to stay the course with this team; we'll still be playing in April. But the team who beat us last night is almost certainly destined to yet another Elite Eight loss.

Let's keep our chins up. Pour yourself a few fingers of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. We're going to be absolutely fine.

Trust in Cal.

:sunglasses:

Yea but other than Azuibuike their next tallest player was 6'8... We had way more lenght and they took our lunch on the boards. UK did improve early in 2nd half. Props to that
Rebounding was almost equal for the game.

Maybe I have Blue Glasses, but I think this "team" has all the pieces X2. No superstars but depth all around. By Feb this TEAM (add Vanderbilt and Baker) will mesh and the only team that will be able to beat them THIS YEAR is the one who has the NCAA's sixth man in the striped suit.

Let's face it, this year we don't have the talent that will create production this year.. And be too young this will lead to nowhere. I'm going to treat this with low expectations and just be happy to see this team make the tourney, and hope by March they mold together..

Kansas played horrible and was missing 3 key role players last night and they handled the game the whole way out. Yes I know we were missing players too, but its different on many levels.

Be careful for posting this type of stuff. This board is full of people that believe we are invincible and we should win every game and every team out there sucks. When we don't win, Cal is a piss poor coach. So ridiculous.

We go through this same thing every single year.

For the most part, we struggle early. There's countless examples of this.

But by March, Cal and the team always seem to get it right.

Now there is a difference with this team..........there's no John Wall, Anthony Davis, Monk etc etc.

That being said history suggests they will find a way.
I think Knox is on the above mentioned players level.

There's no substance to this. I can understand someone having certain doubts about the team but they'd at least have to back it up with facts and/or stats. This has neither and is pure conjecture at this point.

Honestly, I can't really make up my mind whether or not this team will be more than a 9-10 seed.

So far, I don't like our guard situation. Diallo reminds me of Melvin Levitt. A lot of flash and little substance. But, that could change.

Knox is an absolute stud. No doubt in my mind about that.

Our bigs could potentially save us. Washington, despite being atrocious against Kansas, has an upside. Richards could eventually be a decent player. The key will be Vaderbilt. If he's half as good as some claim, that will help immensely. I'm also seeing the upside of Jones. He could end up being a savior. Gabriel? Uh, he should redshirt and hope his body matures.

Coaching? Cal is as stubborn a human being as I've ever followed. He's going to do everything his way no matter the outcome.

Reactions: crpoore
Honestly, I can't really make up my mind whether or not this team will be more than a 9-10 seed.

So far, I don't like our guard situation. Diallo reminds me of Melvin Levitt. A lot of flash and little substance. But, that could change.

Knox is an absolute stud. No doubt in my mind about that.

Our bigs could potentially save us. Washington, despite being atrocious against Kansas, has an upside. Richards could eventually be a decent player. The key will be Vaderbilt. If he's half as good as some claim, that will help immensely. I'm also seeing the upside of Jones. He could end up being a savior. Gabriel? Uh, he should redshirt and hope his body matures.

Coaching? Cal is as stubborn a human being as I've ever followed. He's going to do everything his way no matter the outcome.

They won’t be a 9 or 10 seed

We were missing 2 players. Kansas will improve but not at the same clip that UK does by season's end.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
They won’t be a 9 or 10 seed

9-10 seed isn't even an option in my mind. The Ullis-Murray team was even a 4 seed (should have been a 3) and they had two great players and not much after that. This team has a higher ceiling than that team and I have no doubt they will reach it or get close to it.

Too many people don't understand how wide the gal is between HS and college ball. Playing hard every possession versus 30% of the time. Playing against guys that are stronger, just as fast, just as talented as you for the first time in your life and they are already adjusted to the college game.

Freshmen 15 be damned no amount of fat chicks are going to erase the fact we have a limited amount of shooters that can knock down a 3. That being said I believe we go deep no matter how wide the gal is. I think we are one bad shooting game from getting upset a by a lesser team but hell that can be said about any team. This team will win with defense and rebounding by march. Not confident in our shooting.

Reactions: EliteBlue
How some people still have never adjusted to the idea that young men need time to become a cohesive unit and learn individual roles early in the season is beyond me. Yes, I am concerned about shooting from beyond the arc, but this team seems to have all the other puzzle pieces to make a run in March as natural maturation occurs. Some of our player such as Washington and Richards look rough right now, but development will occur throughout SEC play. I swear that some of you all just look for things to bitch and whine about on this board.

How some people still have never adjusted to the idea that young men need time to become a cohesive unit and learn individual roles early in the season is beyond me. Yes, I am concerned about shooting from beyond the arc, but this team seems to have all the other puzzle pieces to make a run in March as natural maturation occurs. Some of our player such as Washington and Richards look rough right now, but development will occur throughout SEC play. I swear that some of you all just look for things to bitch and whine about on this board.
Relax. Message boards are for bitching and moaning. Nothing wrong with that. Most of it is just nervous energy from fans.

Relax. Message boards are for bitching and moaning. Nothing wrong with that. Most of it is just nervous energy from fans.

Kev, more humorous than anything to be honest. UK will be UK, which is to say that they will be just fine.

Are you kin to brown is the new blue?Askin for a friend.

Kev, more humorous than anything to be honest. UK will be UK, which is to say that they will be just fine.
Totally agree. I will say I have no clue how this season is going to go. Usually I kind of have a feel after a couple of exhibition games, and then a few early games, but I can admit right now I really don't know what to think of this team.

Freshmen 15 be damned no amount of fat chicks are going to erase the fact we have a limited amount of shooters that can knock down a 3. That being said I believe we go deep no matter how wide the gal is. I think we are one bad shooting game from getting upset a by a lesser team but hell that can be said about any team. This team will win with defense and rebounding by march. Not confident in our shooting.
Accurate. I think we wil have just enough shooting to get us by. As long as we value the ball and take quality shots it's going to be tough for teams to score a lot of points on us. We have the talent, athleticism, and length to dominate all the other parts of the game against everyone but maybe 4-5 teams and those games could go either way in a 1 game takes all March atmosphere.

Reactions: bigbluefattycat
There were people on this board ready to give up on the 2012 team early because they didn't think Teague was even an average PG. This time last year the posts were about Fox not being able to shoot and Monk disappearing. Andrew Harrison was too slow and couldn't run a team. Rinse and repeat. Year after year.

The 2 point guards will grow leaps and bounds over the next 3 months just like the rest of them did and the team will rise to a different level with them. Plus this isn't a team like 2 years ago where Ulis was the only guy who could handle the ball.

This team is unorthodox and yes they will struggle at times but they are not without scoring options like 2013 or simply not built to rebound or play D like 2016. Give them more than 3 weeks to learn the college game and how to play together.

There were people on this board ready to give up on the 2012 team early because they didn't think Teague was even an average PG. This time last year the posts were about Fox not being able to shoot and Monk disappearing. Andrew Harrison was too slow and couldn't run a team. Rinse and repeat. Year after year.

The 2 point guards will grow leaps and bounds over the next 3 months just like the rest of them did and the team will rise to a different level with them. Plus this isn't a team like 2 years ago where Ulis was the only guy who could handle the ball.

This team is unorthodox and yes they will struggle at times but they are not without scoring options like 2013 or simply not built to rebound or play D like 2016. Give them more than 3 weeks to learn the college game and how to play together.
You're probably right. The concern I have is how are we going to build a good resume to have a high seed.

A win against Kansas would have helped immensely.

Six posts and you make a post like that.

TROLL!!!! I have a lot more confidence in the basketball ball team than I do in this OP being a KY fan. TROLL!!!!

Seriously? this is a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds who played 3 games in 6 days. Possible all 3 of these teams go to the tournament. Freshman mistakes cost us the game yesterday, but not sure how people are not encouraged by that game yesterday. Kansas has a ton more problems than we have. I think people need to chill. We lost far worse games and unlike KU, Calipari builds for March not November. 3 games in 6 days for a bunch of freshman. Showed fight, character, and an elite coach getting his team prepared. No doubt we lose many more this year, like always we will be a tough out come March. Not happy losing but I said if we lose by single digits it would be an major encouragement for our teams outlook the rest of the year. The fouls last night, naive freshman mistakes, and of green/wenyen/pj would of shown up offensively last night and we win. Just on the calls regarding Buke with bogus fouls and the unlimited steps he was allowed to take was a shame. Honestly, I think UK is further ahead than I expected. Bagley no bagley, without a senior Allen last night Duke loses. Its a hard fought game in November, relax geezz.

Seriously? this is a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds who played 3 games in 6 days. Possible all 3 of these teams go to the tournament. Freshman mistakes cost us the game yesterday, but not sure how people are not encouraged by that game yesterday. Kansas has a ton more problems than we have. I think people need to chill. We lost far worse games and unlike KU, Calipari builds for March not November. 3 games in 6 days for a bunch of freshman. Showed fight, character, and an elite coach getting his team prepared. No doubt we lose many more this year, like always we will be a tough out come March. Not happy losing but I said if we lose by single digits it would be an major encouragement for our teams outlook the rest of the year. The fouls last night, naive freshman mistakes, and of green/wenyen/pj would of shown up offensively last night and we win. Just on the calls regarding Buke with bogus fouls and the unlimited steps he was allowed to take was a shame. Honestly, I think UK is further ahead than I expected. Bagley no bagley, without a senior Allen last night Duke loses. Its a hard fought game in November, relax geezz.
I don't get why WE always state, "Who Cares If We Lose Games In Regular Season" as long as were ready for March. I mean its important to win those regular season games. Much rather be playing an easy route than being a 6-9 seed... Or the excuse of "Were Still To Young" we always say that right up until March, not to mention its the cycle of Kentucky Basketball nowdays. Its like Alabama Football saying, "Who Cares If We Lose Our Regular Season Games" as long as were ready for our bowl. If we that attitude they be playing in the Texas Bowl lol.

I don't get why WE always state, "Who Cares If We Lose Games In Regular Season" as long as were ready for March. I mean its important to win those regular season games. Much rather be playing an easy route than being a 6-9 seed... Or the excuse of "Were Still To Young" we always say that right up until March, not to mention its the cycle of Kentucky Basketball nowdays. Its like Alabama Football saying, "Who Cares If We Lose Our Regular Season Games" as long as were ready for our bowl. If we that attitude they be playing in the Texas Bowl lol.

Well the one stark difference is if Alabama wants the national championship they cannot say “who cares about the regular season”? That’s the sad nature of College Football.

I think part of the beauty of College Basketball is that you can say that. (To a degree) Of course you want great seeding and of course the rivalry games always mean something extra special however -a season is a lifetime - as an old book says. Injuries, illness, internal problems, confidence issues, etc. etc. etc. make for a very long journey OCT-APRIL.

It’s pretty damn cool that you can look like crap before March and then get a new chance starting with your conference Tournaments and then another new chance in the National Tournament. New life can begat new life in College Hoops’s Post-Season...I personally think it’s great even if it can be maddening as hell!

Im not saying who cares, Im saying the level of caring. if you are taking a single digit loss to a top 5 ranked team.. there is a mental institution near where you live I am sure, I'd advise self admitting.

3 games in 6 days
all freshman team (basically)
a bias in reffing on numerous calls.
several "freshman" mistakes in November.
We are a young team, its called growing pains. and Duke without Allen a SENIOR losses yesterday. So, if you want to compare, compare us to Duke without Allen and see who's team has more fight.

"And be too young this will lead to nowhere." You lose all credibility with that pathetic display of the english language.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT