ADVERTISEMENT

LeBron James Says The NCAA Is Corrupt

Way more valueable to the world than a guy getting paid multi millions of dollars a year to play a game. As a society, we place more value on entertainment than education though

I wish all the people who believe education is so important would pay teachers more or do something to keep college from being $200k but they mostly just seem to care when it comes to kids getting hundred dollar handshakes.

Reactions: Jamal Sunburn
Never claimed I was a expert, but evidently LeBron thinks he is one.

Or he has an opinion. You could discuss that instead of dismissing him for his formal education level.

If he had passed up the money available to him in order to pursue a meaningless degree, then you could call him dumb.

Or he has an opinion. You could discuss that instead of dismissing him for his formal education level.

If he had passed up the money available to him in order to pursue a meaningless degree, then you could call him dumb.
That's the problem he has a opinion on everything. I personally am sick and tired of athletes and celebrities using their status as a platform. Good day to you sir.

Reactions: Mr_GG and kev69
The people that actually think LeBron cares where a recruit goes to college are actually insane. Now he might care about where they sign after college.

The NCAA was corrupt long before the one and done rule was in place, and it'll be corrupt long after it's gone, assuming the NCAA outlives the rule.

It's a fundamentally broken system that they cling to for tax exempt status to make themselves a fortune with free labor. It's *more* unfair now that kids don't have another option, but the inconsistency, corruption, greed, etc. have all been there way before 2007.
They give back 90% of the revenue they rake in, in one form or another.

Reactions: CalipariCapo
Potential pros in basketball and football aren't regular students. The first step in setting things right is to acknowledge this.

The Men's NCAAT currently bringing in 10.8 BILLION DOLLARS in the current 14 year contract. When the extension kicks in it will pay another 8.8 BILLION DOLLARS over 8 years. That's a 22 year period where the NCAA brings in nearly 20 Billion dollars. That's just a television contract for the NCAAT.

Then look at this from 2012

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebas...943/college-tv-rights-deals-undergo-makeovers

These are not REGULAR STUDENTS. Doctors and Engineers might not be "just students" either, but they aren't bringing in this kind of money.

Reactions: MWes11
That's the problem he has a opinion on everything. I personally am sick and tired of athletes and celebrities using their status as a platform. Good day to you sir.
You have a problem with him stating his opinion? Wow! So you're entitled to state your opinion but he isnt?

He was asked a question and he answered it. Plus, can we really disagree with him on this one? Exploiting and gaining billions from the student athletes is what I call corruption.

I dont understand why everyone feels so sorry for the athletes..They get a free education..Free place to live..Free meals....Free training and coaching by some of the best in the business..Free medical treatment.......They get compensated pretty good for playing ball for a few months...its like the REAL world......You go to work, get a salary and the company you work for may make billions in profits, but your only gonna get a little bittie piece of that pie..

I dont understand why everyone feels so sorry for the athletes..They get a free education..Free place to live..Free meals....Free training and coaching by some of the best in the business..Free medical treatment.......They get compensated pretty good for playing ball for a few months...its like the REAL world......You go to work, get a salary and the company you work for may make billions in profits, but your only gonna get a little bittie piece of that pie..

Back in the day that was a hell of a compensation. The fact that the NCAA is making BILLIONS today is making it look like small change to what the players receive.

I wish all the people who believe education is so important would pay teachers more or do something to keep college from being $200k but they mostly just seem to care when it comes to kids getting hundred dollar handshakes.
I agree to an extent. College professors get paid very good money. There are A LOT of options to pay for college. Making it cheaper and accessible to everyone who wants to get away from home will dilute the system and devalue the worth of a degree. Yet another paradox lol

Reactions: GonzoCat90
The people that actually think LeBron cares where a recruit goes to college are actually insane. Now he might care about where they sign after college.
Those two things might not be mutually exclusive. There's no telling what dealings are going on underneath the table and behind the scenes that no one will ever know about. With a market that brings in as much money as sports does, dirty business is sure to follow.

Back in the day that was a hell of a compensation. The fact that the NCAA is making BILLIONS today is making it look like small change to what the players receive.

I found this on the NCAA.org site from about 5 years ago.

While the amount of revenue is large, little of the money is retained by the NCAA national office. About 96 percent is distributed directly to the Division I membership or to support championships or programs that benefit student-athletes. The remaining 4 percent goes for central services, such as building operations and salaries not related to particular programs.

For 2012-13, NCAA revenue is projected at $797 million, with $702 million coming from the Association’s new rights agreement with CBS Sports and Turner Broadcasting.

So according to this they received $797 million, but if they put 96% into the things listed, that is $765 million of that money. That leaves $32 million. So are they really making that much money to where the players deserve a piece of the pie? I'm sure there are a bunch of employees to pay that takes a big cut out of that leftover amount.

Here is a more recent article that actually showed the breakdown of the spending.

Skip to main content

NCAA

Search Google Appliance
Enter the terms you wish to search for.
SUBMIT CONTENT | MEDIA CENTER | NCAA.COM

WHERE DOES THE MONEY GO?
The NCAA receives most of its annual revenue from two sources. That money is distributed in more than a dozen ways – almost all of which directly support NCAA schools, conferences and nearly half a million student-athletes.

WHERE IT COMES FROM
stadium-20180223.png

gray-arrow.png

WHO IT SUPPORTS
sa.png

Student-athletes are at the heart of the NCAA’s mission.

white-arrow.png

HOW IT'S DISTRIBUTED
$210.8M
Sport Sponsorship and Scholarship Funds

Distributed to Division I schools to help fund NCAA sports and provide scholarships for college athletes.

$160.5M
Division I Basketball Performance Fund

Distributed to Division I conferences and independent schools based on their performance in the men’s basketball tournament over a six-year rolling period. The money is used to fund NCAA sports and provide scholarships for college athletes.

$96.7M
Division I Championships

Provides college athletes the opportunity to compete for a championship and includes support for team travel, food and lodging.

$82.2M
Student Assistance Fund

Distributed to Division I student-athletes for essential needs that arise during their time in college.

$71.8M
Student-Athlete Services

Includes funding for catastrophic injury insurance, drug testing, student-athlete leadership programs, postgraduate scholarships and additional Association-wide championships support.

$50.3M
Division I Equal Conference Fund

Distributed equally among Division I basketball-playing conferences that meet athletic and academic standards to play in the men's basketball tournament. The money is used to fund NCAA sports and provide scholarships for college athletes.

$46.7M
Academic Enhancement Fund

Distributed to Division I schools to assist with academic programs and services.

$42.3M
Division II Allocation

Funds championships, grants and other initiatives for Division II college athletes.

$39.6M
Membership Support Services

Covers costs related to NCAA governance committees and the annual NCAA Convention.

$28.2M
Division III Allocation

Funds championships, grants and other initiatives for Division III college athletes.

$9.5M
Division I Conference Grants

Distributed to Division I conferences for programs that enhance officiating, compliance, minority opportunities and more.

$3.3M
Educational Programs

Supports varous educational services for members to help prepare student-athletes for life, including the Women Coaches Academy, the Emerging Leaders Seminars and the Pathway Program.

$74.3M
Other Association-Wide Expenses

Includes support for Association-wide legal services, communications and business insurance.

$39.7M
General and Administrative Expenses

Funds the day-to-day operations of the NCAA national office, including administrative and financial services, information technology and facilities management.

Academic Distribution
Beginning in 2019-20, a portion of NCAA revenue will be distributed to Division I schools based on their student-athletes’ academic performance.

The distributions listed are recurring, and the information does not include any one-time distributions.

More on NCAA finances.

*Figures are from the 2016-2017 fiscal year and are unaudited. The distributions listed are recurring, and the information does not include any one-time distributions.

DID YOU KNOW?
championships.png

Of 90 NCAA championships, only five (all in Division I) generate at least as much money as they cost to run: men’s basketball, men’s ice hockey, men’s lacrosse, wrestling and baseball.

bowls.png

The Division I College Football Playoff and bowl games are independently operated, and the NCAA does not receive revenue from these events.

I added up all of those things and it came up to $955 million. So basically all of the money is earmarked for various things and all of it is basically gone. So where do the athletes get more money from? Do they take it from education? Do they take it from the employees salaries?

In the end it will likely be the schools that are hurt from potentially having to pay players. That will be hard to do with many schools in the red when it comes to athletics. I'm afraid paying players will ultimately be the downfall of college sports.

I found this on the NCAA.org site from about 5 years ago.

While the amount of revenue is large, little of the money is retained by the NCAA national office. About 96 percent is distributed directly to the Division I membership or to support championships or programs that benefit student-athletes. The remaining 4 percent goes for central services, such as building operations and salaries not related to particular programs.

For 2012-13, NCAA revenue is projected at $797 million, with $702 million coming from the Association’s new rights agreement with CBS Sports and Turner Broadcasting.

So according to this they received $797 million, but if they put 96% into the things listed, that is $765 million of that money. That leaves $32 million. So are they really making that much money to where the players deserve a piece of the pie? I'm sure there are a bunch of employees to pay that takes a big cut out of that leftover amount.

Here is a more recent article that actually showed the breakdown of the spending.

Skip to main content

NCAA

Search Google Appliance
Enter the terms you wish to search for.
SUBMIT CONTENT | MEDIA CENTER | NCAA.COM

WHERE DOES THE MONEY GO?
The NCAA receives most of its annual revenue from two sources. That money is distributed in more than a dozen ways – almost all of which directly support NCAA schools, conferences and nearly half a million student-athletes.

WHERE IT COMES FROM
stadium-20180223.png

gray-arrow.png

WHO IT SUPPORTS
sa.png

Student-athletes are at the heart of the NCAA’s mission.

white-arrow.png

HOW IT'S DISTRIBUTED
$210.8M
Sport Sponsorship and Scholarship Funds

Distributed to Division I schools to help fund NCAA sports and provide scholarships for college athletes.

$160.5M
Division I Basketball Performance Fund

Distributed to Division I conferences and independent schools based on their performance in the men’s basketball tournament over a six-year rolling period. The money is used to fund NCAA sports and provide scholarships for college athletes.

$96.7M
Division I Championships

Provides college athletes the opportunity to compete for a championship and includes support for team travel, food and lodging.

$82.2M
Student Assistance Fund

Distributed to Division I student-athletes for essential needs that arise during their time in college.

$71.8M
Student-Athlete Services

Includes funding for catastrophic injury insurance, drug testing, student-athlete leadership programs, postgraduate scholarships and additional Association-wide championships support.

$50.3M
Division I Equal Conference Fund

Distributed equally among Division I basketball-playing conferences that meet athletic and academic standards to play in the men's basketball tournament. The money is used to fund NCAA sports and provide scholarships for college athletes.

$46.7M
Academic Enhancement Fund

Distributed to Division I schools to assist with academic programs and services.

$42.3M
Division II Allocation

Funds championships, grants and other initiatives for Division II college athletes.

$39.6M
Membership Support Services

Covers costs related to NCAA governance committees and the annual NCAA Convention.

$28.2M
Division III Allocation

Funds championships, grants and other initiatives for Division III college athletes.

$9.5M
Division I Conference Grants

Distributed to Division I conferences for programs that enhance officiating, compliance, minority opportunities and more.

$3.3M
Educational Programs

Supports varous educational services for members to help prepare student-athletes for life, including the Women Coaches Academy, the Emerging Leaders Seminars and the Pathway Program.

$74.3M
Other Association-Wide Expenses

Includes support for Association-wide legal services, communications and business insurance.

$39.7M
General and Administrative Expenses

Funds the day-to-day operations of the NCAA national office, including administrative and financial services, information technology and facilities management.

Academic Distribution
Beginning in 2019-20, a portion of NCAA revenue will be distributed to Division I schools based on their student-athletes’ academic performance.

The distributions listed are recurring, and the information does not include any one-time distributions.

More on NCAA finances.

*Figures are from the 2016-2017 fiscal year and are unaudited. The distributions listed are recurring, and the information does not include any one-time distributions.

DID YOU KNOW?
championships.png

Of 90 NCAA championships, only five (all in Division I) generate at least as much money as they cost to run: men’s basketball, men’s ice hockey, men’s lacrosse, wrestling and baseball.

bowls.png

The Division I College Football Playoff and bowl games are independently operated, and the NCAA does not receive revenue from these events.

Hats off to you. Great post!

I added up all of those things and it came up to $955 million. So basically all of the money is earmarked for various things and all of it is basically gone. So where do the athletes get more money from? Do they take it from education? Do they take it from the employees salaries?

In the end it will likely be the schools that are hurt from potentially having to pay players. That will be hard to do with many schools in the red when it comes to athletics. I'm afraid paying players will ultimately be the downfall of college sports.
This! College basketball will turn into the G-League.

https://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/1494573

Tell us something we didn't know. The thing is, you are a part of the corruption. You don't think meeting with agents and recruits and steering them to certain schools isn't part of the corruption? Receiving free merchandise as a high school player isn't as well? How about receiving a $50k vehicle from your mother (who I am sure didn't get that from within the spirit of the rules)?

I just don't think he has room to talk. He was fortunate that the one and done rule wasn't in place or he likely would have lost his college eligibility. I'm sure the NCAA would have looked harder into an athlete who received a $50k vehicle from his mom, who I believe had no job, than the OHSAA would have. I'm sure an agent set the loan up with someone he is connected to at a bank to make it look legit. Probably no payments until after his last high school ball game.

We all agree that there are problems with the system, but having a person who played the system and likely continually does being a voice against corruption seems like a joke to me.
Thank God we got his input

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
What I’ve learned in this thread is that Gonzo is Snarks and needs to find an outlet for his pent up lbj man love.

Let the shoe companies, apparel companies, loans from agents pay the players, which is what is happening now anyway. If the volleyball, softball, soccer, and golf players complain, tell them to go talk to Nike and Adidas.

Let the shoe companies, apparel companies, loans from agents pay the players, which is what is happening now anyway. If the volleyball, softball, soccer, and golf players complain, tell them to go talk to Nike and Adidas.

The main problem with that is you will have even more players being steered toward specific schools because of the apparel company the school has a contract with. Adidas players will stick with Adidas, Nike with Nike, UA with UA, etc. Good luck getting the elite guys that went to the wrong AAU sponsored events.

You likely are going to start seeing bidding wars to get the elite guys to the right shoe company to start with. If a Bowen goes for $100k, then an Anthony Davis will go for $250k, and God help us if the next LeBron James is available. Probably looking at $500k to $1 million. I just think paying the players will turn into a sticky situation.

If they want to get paid then go to the G League or overseas for a year. If not then go to college and be happy with all the freebies you currently are getting. I think at the most I would allow the players help financially if needed to get insured in case of an injury. Just make them reimburse the school or whomever is in charge of paying for it when they go pro or when they collect from it if they get injured.

Why not adopt rules at the NCAA level that enable it to become a development league. What??? The answer can’t be that obvious! Who the hell wants to play for a 3rd rate coach at the DL level. Come play for cal and take classes are you ready for this?? Classes that PREPARE the young athlete. Let him be drafted out of high school, let him take loans, let him do endorsement. What??? This can’t be so easy!!! It would take college hoops to the next level and would be fantastic for kids and their families!

BTw he mentions messi. Exactly!! Messi gets not only fútbol experience but the young Messi also took all of his academics through the academy for Barca. The best coaches are college coaches what a tremendous partnership it would be with the NBa. Hell all we need are 30 schools to get on boards with this and match them up with nba organizations. More want to join?? Hell the more the merrier or NCAA change it’s ways.
I think you're taking a superficial view of what would happen.

Entertainment has as much a place in society as technology, arts, etc.

At the end of the day the market sets the value of a skill, the more rare and desirable the skill the more it is worth. The truth of the matter is that universities are making money by the truckload on these kids and their labors. Yet the NCAA artificially deflates their market. If Adidas wants to pay Brian Bowen $100K to go to Louisville, why should the NCAA tell them it can't be done? Why is it that Mark Emmert, Tom Jurich, John Calipari, Nick Saban and a host of other people can make $Millions off of these players, but they can't market themselves? It makes no sense and in my opinion completely immoral.
This isn't a professional league.

Nope, a few are just skirting the rules.

Any league that generates a billion dollars in revenue is a professional league. Any league with coaches making millions of dollars a year is a professional league. Any league where every team is endorsed by a major shoe company is a professional league. Any league where a significant portion of the players who matter have been paid to play is a professional league.

"A few" is five or six. There are tournament teams that I bet have that many guys on one roster who have taken money, and the rest are semi-professional already. The only amateur thing about the NCAA is that they "make" the kids go to class and the money changes hands under the table.

Do not let facts get in the way of a solid argument, you might destroy the narrative that the NCAA is corrupt.

Any league that generates a billion dollars in revenue is a professional league. Any league with coaches making millions of dollars a year is a professional league. Any league where every team is endorsed by a major shoe company is a professional league. Any league where a significant portion of the players who matter have been paid to play is a professional league.

"A few" is five or six. There are tournament teams that I bet have that many guys on one roster who have taken money, and the rest are semi-professional already. The only amateur thing about the NCAA is that they "make" the kids go to class and the money changes hands under the table.
Kids taking money is not on the NCAA it is on the kids and parents. The real truth is shoe companies, handlers and greed are destroying the college game. If the NBA wants a minor league let them pay for it and let them take kids out of HS, let the kids that are truly amateurs and want a education play in college. Most of these Professional Athletes would not have one penny if it were not for some college educated person handling their affairs, so do not be so quick to discount getting a education.

But should he stfu and dribble? If someone asks you a question, do you not give your opinion and answer said question?

He probably should have just said that he didn't go to college and probably shouldn't be the one to ask about it. His only connection to college is meeting recruits that are getting ready to go to college along with his agent. [winking]

I don't agree with you.

Mark Emmert, 2 million + a year salary.

Non-profit.

While I agree the guy doesn't deserve the money he gets, it still is only a very small fraction of the money that is brought in by the NCAA. You wouldn't even get very far splitting up $2 million (if that is correct) to all of the players that think they deserve to be paid for playing in college. I would imagine they would have to come up with hundreds of millions more to be able to do that. Just look at how many athletes there are playing in the major sports throughout college.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT