ADVERTISEMENT

LeBron James Says The NCAA Is Corrupt

But it isn't like everyone else. Everyone else can get paid while in college. That's the point. I was on full ride and still worked in the college writing center making money off of the reason I was in college. Why can't they?
They absolutely can lol that's my point. No one is stopping them from having a job to make money while in school. It's their choice to go to school in the first place. They have other options such as taking a loan out and working on your game independently with trainers,or what not, for a year or signing a one year contract to play overseas before the draft. Their excuse is that they don't have the time to work while "going to class" and going to practice. The university I went to, the major athletes that this is affecting had plenty of time to hold down a job mainly because they never went to class. Choosing to play at a university provides marketability opportunities as well as a free education that the big time athletes do not see as a monetary value.

They absolutely can lol that's my point. No one is stopping them from having a job to make money while in school. It's their choice to go to school in the first place. They have other options such as taking a loan out and working on your game independently with trainers,or what not, for a year or signing a one year contract to play overseas before the draft. Their excuse is that they don't have the time to work while "going to class" and going to practice. The university I went to, the major athletes that this is affecting had plenty of time to hold down a job mainly because they never went to class. Choosing to play at a university provides marketability opportunities as well as a free education that the big time athletes do not see as a monetary value.

If your job tried to pay you in free tuition to go back and get another degree, but you had to live on campus and only eat what the school provided, would you trade that for your salary?

Why not adopt rules at the NCAA level that enable it to become a development league. What??? The answer can’t be that obvious! Who the hell wants to play for a 3rd rate coach at the DL level. Come play for cal and take classes are you ready for this?? Classes that PREPARE the young athlete. Let him be drafted out of high school, let him take loans, let him do endorsement. What??? This can’t be so easy!!! It would take college hoops to the next level and would be fantastic for kids and their families!

BTw he mentions messi. Exactly!! Messi gets not only fútbol experience but the young Messi also took all of his academics through the academy for Barca. The best coaches are college coaches what a tremendous partnership it would be with the NBa. Hell all we need are 30 schools to get on boards with this and match them up with nba organizations. More want to join?? Hell the more the merrier or NCAA change it’s ways.

I would bet the average college student is working to put food in their mouth, a roof over their head, and pay tuition. Most aren't making money off of college because of the experience they are earning. Every student doesn't get free food, housing, books, clothes, health care, tutors, elite level training, coa money, and able to walk out of school a year or two later debt free and making millions.

Dumbest argument against paying athletes. These situations will be comparable when a major TV network starts paying schools to televise engineering class or mock debates. Also, there is nothing stopping Joe engineering student from accepting an endorsement deal from Nike, except for the fact that no one wants to pay him.

The solution is simple, allow any student to receive endorsement money or money from an agent while in school. The schools don't have to pay them a penny. More borderline prospects would stay in school IMO and more kids would get an education which is supposed to be the mission. And yes, I know that makes it hard to ensure compliance but they can't ensure compliance now.

And while we're at it, allow them to transfer whenever they want like other students.

The more fair solution is to distribute a large part of the TV contracts to the athletes that generate it. But we know those olds dudes in the NCAA want no part in giving up any of their cash cow.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
I would bet the average college student is working to put food in their mouth, a roof over their head, and pay tuition. Most aren't making money off of college because of the experience they are earning. Every student doesn't get free food, housing, books, clothes, health care, tutors, elite level training, coa money, and able to walk out of school a year or two later debt free and making millions.

But that's because those students don't hold rare and valuable abilities. The average student doesn't generate millions in revenue.

If they do, they're free to make that money in every other avenue besides sports. If someone on a music scholarship gets the chance to play with the world's greatest orchestra, they can do so and get paid.

If a tech student develops the next big app, they can cash in their millions and still be part of the university's gaming program.

But if someone thinks John Wall is worth $5 million to wear their sneakers then he isn't eligible to play anymore.

That's what LeBron is saying, and what is pretty obvious to everyone involved. It's why the entire thing is crumbling.

How hard is this to understand, Power 5 athletes in football and basketball are worth more than they are being "paid" (scholarship etc). The NCAA loves it because they've created a system where not only are they paying labor less than market, they have rules set up to make it illegal for them to get more. They shouldn't have to get another job, the fact that what they do brings in enough money to make coaches, ADs and NCAA staff millions says to me that there is plenty of money to pay them closer to what they're worth. But then Cal and K might not make obscene amounts of money, or at least not as obscene.

Reactions: UKUGA
If he wasn't committed there is no way you know for sure. Just like we seem to be the favorite for some guys and at the last second they suddenly commit elsewhere surprising everyone.
I understand where you're coming from, but Cam Reddish was thought to be a Duke for at least 2 years. Him ending up at Duke shocked absolutely no one. Cal made a push for him simply because he knew the kid would be a great player. In Cal's position, you have to try for the longshot, even when you know you're most likely to come up short.

If your job tried to pay you in free tuition to go back and get another degree, but you had to live on campus and only eat what the school provided, would you trade that for your salary?
ABSOLUTELY!! As a college student, you can find a part time job that provides an income of about 14,000-18,000$ per year. Add that up for 4 years and that's around 60,000-70,000$. A full ride (with all that entails) is wayyyyy more valueable over the course of four years.

lol look how made you guys are because your news channel told you to be.

He's 100% right, and I would think someone who completely bypassed the corrupt organization would be viewed as credible here. He skipped the exploitation and went straight to making the money he was worth.

He's also been in the public spotlight since he was 16 years old and has no scandals or missteps along the way. He's donated his time, his money, his voice, and his influence to numerous charities and has used his self-made platform to benefit as many others as any athlete I can remember.

But yeah he takes an extra step sometimes when making an exciting play and he has political views that differ from some of yours based on his experience and perspective. Tear him down and then make Richie Farmer the governor.
He isn't 100% right, he's just arrogant as usual. The NCAA didn't make the one and done rule, they just have to deal with it. Kids can go to the G league straight out of high school if they want to. The NBA is corrupt would be a better sentiment from the arrogant one. End the one and done rule and those precious 5 stars can pick what they want to do, problem solved.

Reactions: UK_fan_41102
But that's because those students don't hold rare and valuable abilities. The average student doesn't generate millions in revenue.

If they do, they're free to make that money in every other avenue besides sports. If someone on a music scholarship gets the chance to play with the world's greatest orchestra, they can do so and get paid.

If a tech student develops the next big app, they can cash in their millions and still be part of the university's gaming program.

But if someone thinks John Wall is worth $5 million to wear their sneakers then he isn't eligible to play anymore.

That's what LeBron is saying, and what is pretty obvious to everyone involved. It's why the entire thing is crumbling.
A lot of the problem lies in people seeing dunking and tackling as rare and valueable abilities. I've played with a lot of guys that can dunk and shoot so it's not that rare. The difference is that they aren't 6'8". I would argue that computer programming and organic chemistry are WAYYY more valueable assets to obtain but those students aren't asking to be compensated more than their academic scholarships (if they have any).

Reactions: UKGrad93
How hard is this to understand, Power 5 athletes in football and basketball are worth more than they are being "paid" (scholarship etc). The NCAA loves it because they've created a system where not only are they paying labor less than market, they have rules set up to make it illegal for them to get more. They shouldn't have to get another job, the fact that what they do brings in enough money to make coaches, ADs and NCAA staff millions says to me that there is plenty of money to pay them closer to what they're worth. But then Cal and K might not make obscene amounts of money, or at least not as obscene.
It's not hard to understand at all but I think you are underthinking this. Most schools athletic departments don't operate on a profit. How can you give big time athletes money without giving other athletes the same kind of compensation plan even if they aren't making any money? In the world we live in today, you know women's athletes and benchwarmers will complain about just paying the ones that bring in money because it would be against the equality narrative that's sweeping the nation. It's a VERY complex issue that does not have one easy solution. I created a thread the other day though on a plan that I came up with. The name of the thread is "Let's Draft A Suitable Compensation Plan". If you don't care, read my OP in that thread and let me know what you think.

I doubt he has time to recruit for anyone or that he even cares. He always did say that if he went to college he would have gone to Ohio State.

I can see coach K using him as a player that he's coached as a recruiting tool, in which he'd be stupid not to.
He had time to have dinner with a high school kid and an agent that just so happens to commit to Duke.

Reactions: Mr_GG
He isn't 100% right, he's just arrogant as usual. The NCAA didn't make the one and done rule, they just have to deal with it. Kids can go to the G league straight out of high school if they want to. The NBA is corrupt would be a better sentiment from the arrogant one. End the one and done rule and those precious 5 stars can pick what they want to do, problem solved.

The NCAA was corrupt long before the one and done rule was in place, and it'll be corrupt long after it's gone, assuming the NCAA outlives the rule.

It's a fundamentally broken system that they cling to for tax exempt status to make themselves a fortune with free labor. It's *more* unfair now that kids don't have another option, but the inconsistency, corruption, greed, etc. have all been there way before 2007.

A lot of the problem lies in people seeing dunking and tackling as rare and valueable abilities. I've played with a lot of guys that can dunk and shoot so it's not that rare. The difference is that they aren't 6'8". I would argue that computer programming and organic chemistry are WAYYY more valueable assets to obtain but those students aren't asking to be compensated more than their academic scholarships (if they have any).
I struggle with this. It's all market forces. My conclusion is that my values are out of line with the rest of the market. The market puts a lot more value on entertainment than they do scholarly achievement.

Your posts make it sound like you had a real bad time at a real bad college while the athletes enjoyed themselves. That may not be accurate, but you're giving off that impression.

It's insulting to simplify what these guys do as dunking and tackling as if thousands of people across the country could do it.

The reason chemists aren't asking to be compensated is because there's no market for them. The majority of the world realizes that these guys are unique and worth a ton of money. Entire cities have their economic landscape changed by sports teams, and lots of those chemistry students are taking classes in labs that football built.

Turn on your TV. Lots of chemists on there? No. We're not debating inherent value or the nobility of education. We're talking marketability. The money is pouring in, and it's going to everyone but the college players who are generating the revenue. If you want to tear down capitalism, that's probably going to have to be a different thread.

"WAYYY more valuable assets" to who? The university? No. The difference is that no one is paying $100 a ticket to fill up an arena to watch a kid program a computer. What kind of revenue is that student learning computer programming generating for the university?

Yeah, but the average student doesn't get up at 5a for practice, go to class, go to practice, go to class, go to practice and then end their day at 8:30p.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

That's brutal.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
LeBron better not ever show his face down here in Bell County.

636320040777025672-new-cartoon.jpg

Never understood the LeBron hate. Dude is a beast and he's done nothing off the court but keep to himself, outside of his multiple charities. The "decision" was in poor taste but he rectified that by winning Cleveland a title.

I don't think he's recruiting for Duke either but there is circumstantial evidence out there that one could easily infer that.

Last edited:
But it isn't like everyone else. Everyone else can get paid while in college. That's the point. I was on full ride and still worked in the college writing center making money off of the reason I was in college. Why can't they?
Not to mention that ever other student has the ability to make money off of their Name, Image, and Likeness.... it's just that there isn't much of a market for Frank the History major to sell that.

A education is broad based but I guess you would know nothing about that.

You're right, you're the only one who went to college, which is the only place anyone can learn anything including how to play basketball.

I wish someone would put this crybaby, piece of garbage to sleep.

Amen. The world would be much better off without his $41 million dollar investment in education so that I don't have to read about him saying things I don't like.

Reactions: JDHoss
Can't stand lebron but glad he used his platform to call the ncaa out.

"WAYYY more valuable assets" to who? The university? No. The difference is that no one is paying $100 a ticket to fill up an arena to watch a kid program a computer. What kind of revenue is that student learning computer programming generating for the university?
Way more valueable to the world than a guy getting paid multi millions of dollars a year to play a game. As a society, we place more value on entertainment than education though

Reactions: JL-23
Way more valueable to the world than a guy getting paid multi millions of dollars a year to play a game. As a society, we place more value on entertainment than education though
Entertainment has as much a place in society as technology, arts, etc.

At the end of the day the market sets the value of a skill, the more rare and desirable the skill the more it is worth. The truth of the matter is that universities are making money by the truckload on these kids and their labors. Yet the NCAA artificially deflates their market. If Adidas wants to pay Brian Bowen $100K to go to Louisville, why should the NCAA tell them it can't be done? Why is it that Mark Emmert, Tom Jurich, John Calipari, Nick Saban and a host of other people can make $Millions off of these players, but they can't market themselves? It makes no sense and in my opinion completely immoral.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT