ADVERTISEMENT

Lawyer theory on ACC teams moving to the SEC...

To keep the Big10 schools from having 10-15 games in the very hotbed of SEC recruiting. Right now the only big team recruiting GA FL hard is OSU with Mich and PSU occasionally. Do you want not only those 3 but the rest of the Big10 schools to play multiple games in Fla and GA, hire a couple young coaches with deep connections to the south and all 20 of them come? There are fast skill guys everywhere, but in today's game you better havevDL and LB who can run. Those, for whatever reason, are extremely rare in the northern areas. Got to get south to get depth.
Good points all, but.....I'm not yet sold on the "northern conference extends footprint into the south; therefore, southern FB players will flock to the north." Maybe a look at the ACC is instructive. Does the presence of Miami, FSU, Ga Tech and Clemson, combined with Syracuse, Boston College, Pitt, result in SC, FL, and GA talent beating a path to New York, Mass, and PA?

I get that OSU, PSU, and UM are bigger draws, but are IU, UI, Iowa, MSU, and Minnesota desired destinations for kids from the south? More likely southern players cross pollenate along southern latitudes from the east coast to Texas.

Either way, I think the B1G may be overextending itself geographically. I can't imagine the Maryland field hockey team boarding a plane to the state of Washington for a 5,500 mile round-trip UM/UW conference tilt. I like where the SEC is and where it might go as long as we maintain a southeastern/south central (TX, OK, MO) contiguous footprint....AND we don't pay for the same ground twice by doubling down in states where we are already present and getting the top half of the available talent.

Time will tell--I still say "pump the brakes" in the idea that CU and FSU deliver something we don't already have. However, UNC and VaTech?.....gets us heightened TV appeal in Charlotte, Greensboro, Asheville, the research triangle, Hampton Roads, Richmond, and NOVA/DC. Not a tough choice IMO.

GBB!

Last edited:
Reactions: ok-cats-computer
I agree that barring government intervention, the top 8/9 teams from the B10 and top 6/8 teams from the SEC will move on to their own league. This will result in ESPN and FOX increasing compensation to those teams by decreasing compensation to the rest.

I haven't seen any news of a ACC schools asking for two shares? What I have seen are suggestions to make it performance based. You win the league, more for you. You make the playoffs, more for you. You win in the playoffs, more for you. That is acceptable to me.

2 shares may have been an exaggeration, but wanting a much larger percentage of the pie than the smaller schools.

There are 3, maybe 4 teams with a chance to do those things you mentioned. Will the other 8 teams vote to cut their share? Are those schools who are weaker in the other sports willing to take a smaller cut. Sometimes you made a bad deal, ACCteams made a bad deal.

Reactions: Mayoman
Good points all, but.....I'm not yet sold on the "northern conference extends footprint into the south; therefore, southern FB players will flock to the north." Maybe a look at the ACC is instructive. Does the presence of Miami, FSU, Ga Tech and Clemson, combined with Syracuse, Boston College, Pitt, result in SC, FL, and GA talent beating a path to New York, Mass, and PA?

I get that OSU, PSU, and UM are bigger draws, but are IU, UI, Iowa, MSU, and Minnesota desired destinations for kids from the south? More likely southern players cross pollenate along southern latitudes from the east coast to Texas.

Either way, I think the B1G may be overextending itself geographically. I can't imagine the Maryland field hockey team boarding a plane to the state of Washington for a 5,500 mile round-trip UM/UW conference tilt. I like where the SEC is and where it might go as long as we maintain a southeastern/south central (TX, OK, MO) contiguous footprint....AND we don't pay for the same ground twice by doubling down in states where we are already present and getting the top half of the available talent.

Time will tell--I still say "pump the brakes" in the idea that CU and FSU deliver something we don't already have. However, UNC and VaTech?.....gets us heightened TV appeal in Charlotte, Greensboro, Asheville, the research triangle, Hampton Roads, Richmond, and NOVA/DC. Not a tough choice IMO.

GBB!

GT was a solid program until they hired Paul Johnson who has the personality of a rabid dog and alienated every HS program in the state. Kids hared the offense. Their 2nd coach is former player determined to bring them back. They will be competitive in the SEC soon.

As for as FSU, CU, Miami or GT, you are right, they don't give us anything we don't already have. But it keeps Big10 out of SEC recruiting hotbed. Do you think it's just coincidence UK has more success with Ohio kids than other SEC teams? It's because of exposure and staff connections. Having 5-6 BIG10 games in Atlanta, Tallassee or Miami won't have a huge effect on UGA but these kids leaving for UK, Carolina, OleMiss will options like Wisconsin, Illinois, Mich St. Sankey agrees and doesn't want them in our footprint. But honestly, I don't think OSU wants that either, they are getting by far the most southern kids.

2 shares may have been an exaggeration, but wanting a much larger percentage of the pie than the smaller schools.

There are 3, maybe 4 teams with a chance to do those things you mentioned. Will the other 8 teams vote to cut their share? Are those schools who are weaker in the other sports willing to take a smaller cut. Sometimes you made a bad deal, ACCteams made a bad deal.
I don't know how ACC schools feel about sharing. Lot's of variables at play. I do believe that is what FSU is trying to accomplish.

Good deal/Bad deal. It depends upon the school. I read that ESPN offered the PAC12 a similar deal as the ACC. The PAC12 told ESPN no, they wanted a deal like the SEC and B10. ESPN said no. The PAC12 shopped and found there was no other offer but APPLE streaming with a pay per view option. The BIG10 raided and the PAC12 is history.

If there are ACC teams that are wanted by the BIG10/SEC, then they appear to have a bad deal. Looking at what happened to the PAC12, the rest of the ACC teams appear to have a good deal. Certainly better than being left in the gutter like some PAC12 teams.

It's a bit like the stock market or poker....risk management. As long as you maintain your seed money, there is opportunity to win. Go all in like the PAC12 and the game may be over for you.

Last edited:
I don't know how ACC schools feel about sharing. Lot's of variables at play. I do believe that is what FSU is trying to accomplish.

Good deal/Bad deal. It depends upon the school. I read that ESPN offered the PAC12 a similar deal as the ACC. The PAC12 told ESPN no, they wanted a deal like the SEC and B10. ESPN said no. The PAC12 shopped and found there was no other offer but APPLE streaming with a pay per view option. The BIG10 raided and the PAC12 is history.

If there are ACC teams that are wanted by the BIG10/SEC, then they appear to have a bad deal. Looking at what happened to the PAC12, the rest of the ACC teams appear to have a good deal. Certainly better than being left in the gutter like some PAC12 teams.

It's a bit like the stock market or poker....risk management. As long as you maintain your seed money there is opportunity to win. Go all in like the PAC12 and the game may be over for you.

So Louisville is comfortable with the ACC media deal? And would be ok with giving FSU, Clemson, NC ST, a larger portion of conference TV money? It's like high school booster clubs, the haves and have nots. FSU wants to be consider big time, but fact is they aren't in top 100 in all time wins and not even a top conference team since Winston left, why do they deserve a larger portion?

So Louisville is comfortable with the ACC media deal? And would be ok with giving FSU, Clemson, NC ST, a larger portion of conference TV money? It's like high school booster clubs, the haves and have nots. FSU wants to be consider big time, but fact is they aren't in top 100 in all time wins and not even a top conference team since Winston left, why do they deserve a larger portion?

What's to the SEC and BIG putting there resources together and obliterate the ACC. Make them an offer they can't refuse. Lawyers get what they want, one way or another. SEC and BIG have there legal partners working on this. Once money makes it to the right hands then they both will be able to take who they want. Now you have to give a little to get it. So we may just lose a few to get a few. In which case I worry as a Kentucky fan. I get we are a charter school. But if I'm right about the first hypothetical then it has to be true for the latter part of it. If SEC is a deciding partner in this then the charter situation could be resolved aswell.. this thing can go many different directions, and I'm afraid it will end up in a place nobody sees now. Just my opinion

It has become a money grab, both for player and college presidents. UGA is in a good spot today, but our NIL isn't competitive, we are losing commits and prospects by NIL deals. FSU, AU,UT, and a couple others are buying kids like they are TVs. Last week kid was committing to us, in an hour, FSU called and offer him 2m, he picked them. We are pitching player development, opportunity because current
players are making decent money, but not recruits, but not paying a kid 2m out of HS. Expect Missouri to get one tomorrow and they can start paying him in Sept.

So when it becomes the top 15-20 teams in a league of their own, UGA won't be there, we don't have the mega booster. But I am nearing the end, I likely won't see that but if NIL isn't checked only a handful of school will have shots at championships. I guess the same could have been said before too.

It has become a money grab, both for player and college presidents. UGA is in a good spot today, but our NIL isn't competitive, we are losing commits and prospects by NIL deals. FSU, AU,UT, and a couple others are buying kids like they are TVs. Last week kid was committing to us, in an hour, FSU called and offer him 2m, he picked them. We are pitching player development, opportunity because current
players are making decent money, but not recruits, but not paying a kid 2m out of HS. Expect Missouri to get one tomorrow and they can start paying him in Sept.

So when it becomes the top 15-20 teams in a league of their own, UGA won't be there, we don't have the mega booster. But I am nearing the end, I likely won't see that but if NIL isn't checked only a handful of school will have shots at championships. I guess the same could have been said before too.
I'm afraid you are correct aswell. This thing is complex.

It has always been a money grab.

This summer I watched a KET special on the 1899 Sewanee legendary football team. Their game with Vandy was canceled, so the team manager, a student who was practically athletic director, had to make up the lost revenue. He knew they had a good team, so he scheduled them to get on a train to Texas & play 5 big opponents in 6 days, all on the road. They played them so close together to save travel money.

That team won all those games, and all that season, 12-0.

Reactions: Lamar Card
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread, very interesting.

I appreciated the thread, gave me and a couple more a place to vent. I am old school, believe if you sign a contract and it turns out to be a bad decision 7-8 years down the road it was a bad decision. If the ACC was thriving and the other conferences were getting cuts in revenue FSU would be a poster child.

Unequal revenue based on performance would pass. Pitt wins the ACC, they get Xtra revenue. Clemson makes the playoffs, they get Xtra revenue, VT women's BB makes the final four they Xtra revenue...
FSU wants Xtra revenue because of their brand. If they had been dominant for years they might have an argument but we're talking about an FSU that is one year removed from empty stadiums and financial ruin.

They are grasping at anything trying to get out. The current contract was signed in 2016, Maryland joined Big10 in 2014, entire ACC had the same opportunity, but decided to stay in a weaker conference, for a smaller amount and hope to play for more NC. Things changed, SEC and Big10 expanded, signed media deals worth 4 times what the ACC is getting and afraid the ACC is about to become another Sunbelt conference.

I know you are just a messenger like me, but they actually thought the Big10 was going to financially take care of their exit fee from the ACC last week and all the Oregon, Washington talk to big10 was a diversion. They are as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

I don't know what's going to happen, but it appears ESPN had some very good contraclawyers draw up an iron clad contract for one. And a company who is seeing revenue decline by the minute isn't going to be a nice guy when those sources are wanting to leave. I have zero sympathy for them, they could have followed Maryland at the time and got out for 51m, but a new contract and almost 10 years later?
Yeah, I never got why the schools signed the contract. Good move on the head of the ACC though.

Thank you Charles Martin Newton for valuing charter membership and loyalty and turning down the offer to become a member of the ACC.
It is amazing how the decision of an individual, especially one that may not seem overly important at the time, can end up being highly significant decades or centuries later.

This is all nonsense. If FSU had a way out of the ACC right now they'd already be out. This is all a bunch of sabre rattling foolishness. They're stuck and they know it.

Reactions: Lamar Card
Spell check is the devil.
Yeah, I assumed that was what happened and was just messing with you. But I did find your phone’s choice of autocorrection to be amusing.

When you have phones autocorrecting to “Saban,” then you know that peoples’ love of football in the South is on a whole other level.

Yeah, I assumed that was what happened and was just messing with you. But I did find your phone’s choice of autocorrection to be amusing.

When you have phones autocorrecting to “Saban,” then you know that peoples’ love of football in the South is on a whole other level.

As much as I hate to admit, could just be thick fingertips and failure to proofread, but I am sticking with spellcheck being evil.

• Haha
I appreciated the thread, gave me and a couple more a place to vent. I am old school, believe if you sign a contract and it turns out to be a bad decision 7-8 years down the road it was a bad decision. If the ACC was thriving and the other conferences were getting cuts in revenue FSU would be a poster child.
How many UGA coaches have finished out their contracts the last 20 years? Either fired or left for more money... with a contract? I agree with you but if you don't realize the room you're in... Its a different environment. Lawyers will twist common language into nonsense nowadays and a court will nod and agree with the nonsense.

I don't think the SEC wants them anyway. Everyone is saying that the league wants UNC and UVA and an outside shot at Notre Dame. Supposedly thats all the SEC is looking at. The BiG wants a florida school but they don't want to give up money to get them. So I would guess that FSU plays the season and then tries to renegotiate or try to leave with new theory.

I would just argue that FSU saying they have a way out of the GOR and people saying "they can't leave because of the GOR" is kind of missing what they are saying.

How many UGA coaches have finished out their contracts the last 20 years? Either fired or left for more money... with a contract? I agree with you but if you don't realize the room you're in... Its a different environment. Lawyers will twist common language into nonsense nowadays and a court will nod and agree with the nonsense.

I don't think the SEC wants them anyway. Everyone is saying that the league wants UNC and UVA and an outside shot at Notre Dame. Supposedly thats all the SEC is looking at. The BiG wants a florida school but they don't want to give up money to get them. So I would guess that FSU plays the season and then tries to renegotiate or try to leave with new theory.

I would just argue that FSU saying they have a way out of the GOR and people saying "they can't leave because of the GOR" is kind of missing what they are saying.

I can't give you a number on coaches who left before contract was up, but being up u til recently most assistant coaches were 1 year deals wouldn't think the number would be too high. But the big difference there has been an escape clause for coaches to move on from a contract to another job. This contract signed by ACC members apparently has no escape clause. They still signed it. They were happy with it 7 years ago, were they so short sighted they thought it would be good 10 years down t he road. It's an incredibly one sided contract and they still signed it.

We’re not missing what FSU is saying. At least based on what you’ve reported in this thread, we’re dismissing it because the FSU people you’re listening to on YouTube do not know what they’re talking about. And I say that for two reasons: 1. they don’t have their facts straight and 2. they can’t put forth a logical, coherent argument for why they can easily leave.

I’d suggest you avoid turning to YouTubers for news and analysis.

Last edited:
ebraska Cornhuskers athletic director Trev Alberts issued a big warning to college football fans and the college football world at large.

Alberts spoke with the Lincoln Journal Star’s Amie Just for a two-hour interview. The Journal Star published an article Sunday based on Alberts’ comments.

Alberts spoke about the big topic in college sports: realignment. He said that conferences that are not willing to expand are asking for problems. He also warned that next year’s realignment could be more disruptive than this year’s round was.

“I don’t believe it’s done. It’s never been done. It’s more likely than not that there will be continued periods of angst. I believe that the next go-around—that’s my basic conclusion—will be far more disruptive than anything we’re currently engaged in. We need to prepare ourselves mentally for that,” Alberts told Just.

Their interpretation of what Trev said is wrong. He's not talking about realignment next year. He said "next go-around". Which might be 10 yrs away - or 5, or 15.

He's talking about the Superconference, the Elite Conference that is coming. Eventually Fox and ESPN will say "why are we paying Missouri and Vandy and Northwestern and Purdue the same as Alabama and Ohio St and Texas and Michigan?" The SEC won't kick out Vandy and Miss St, the Big 10 won't kick out Illinois and Rutgers. No, the superpowers, the top 20 or 30 schools will leave their conferences behind and form their own thing, Champions Conference, whatever. And only play each other, and get $200M a yr.

He probably knows despite their history Nebraska will be on the outside looking in. So will Kentucky.

Their interpretation of what Trev said is wrong. He's not talking about realignment next year. He said "next go-around". Which might be 10 yrs away - or 5, or 15.

He's talking about the Superconference, the Elite Conference that is coming. Eventually Fox and ESPN will say "why are we paying Missouri and Vandy and Northwestern and Purdue the same as Alabama and Ohio St and Texas and Michigan?" The SEC won't kick out Vandy and Miss St, the Big 10 won't kick out Illinois and Rutgers. No, the superpowers, the top 20 or 30 schools will leave their conferences behind and form their own thing, Champions Conference, whatever. And only play each other, and get $200M a yr.

He probably knows despite their history Nebraska will be on the outside looking in. So will Kentucky.
Agree with you regarding the Nebraska AD’s comments.

But your comment about ESPN and Fox paying Vandy and Northwestern the same amount as Alabama and Ohio State isn’t exactly accurate. ESPN and Fox aren’t the ones choosing to pay the schools equal amounts, the conferences are the ones who choose how to divide up the TV revenue.

When the SEC negotiates with ESPN, ESPN is fully aware that some teams are more valuable than others and they take that into account when determining how much they are willing to pay the conference for the entire package. It’s then up to the SEC to decide if they want to distribute that evenly.

That’s what’s driving a lot of FSU’s frustration. FSU believes they account for 15% of the value of the ACC but are only receiving 7% of the TV distribution. So I think it’s more likely that other schools would complain about how much Vandy receives rather than ESPN.

And I could certainly be wrong, but I’m also not sure that the networks would push for the conferences to jettison teams. They still need a certain amount of inventory to fill time slots.

Now what might upend things, is if the conferences ever decide to go it alone and launch their own streaming networks, and stop doing business with ESPN and Fox. I’m not sure how likely that is, but it is worth noting that both Big Ten and SEC schools invested significant amounts to build on-campus control rooms, lay fiber optic wire, etc. in advance of the launch of their respective networks. So if the SEC decided to launch their own streaming service for say $15 per month, a significant amount of the investment required to get that up and running has already been taken care of.

And I could certainly be wrong, but I’m also not sure that the networks would push for the conferences to jettison teams. They still need a certain amount of inventory to fill time slots.
LoL the TV networks find plenty of inventory with only 32 NFL teams to show games Sun afternoon & Sun, Mon, Thurs nights. And do ok financially.

LoL the TV networks find plenty of inventory with only 32 NFL teams to show games Sun afternoon & Sun, Mon, Thurs nights. And do ok financially.
And if the networks had the opportunity to increase their NFL inventory, they’d jump at the chance and the owners know that. There’s a reason the owners tried to expand the NFL season to 18 games when they were negotiating the CBA back in 2010.

Inventory matters. It’s the reason the NCAA tournament grew to 68 teams despite watering down the level of teams. It’s the reason power 5 conferences grew to 12 teams, so that they could hold a championship game and add just one more game to their inventory. And it’s the reason schools and ESPN want to expand the college football playoff.

Inventory is particularly important in terms of the amount of advertising revenue generated. ESPN’s ad revenue from college football post season games is about $400 million. CBS/Tuner’s advertising revenue for March Madness is over $1 billion. It’s also the reason that 17 college football bowl games are owned and operated by ESPN. ESPN runs bowl games like the Bahamas Bowl and Fenway Bowl because they want the additional inventory.

More inventory means more advertising slots to fill at the highest rates that a network can charge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cat06 and hmt5000

I been thinking that for awhile. It may even be less than the 20 you mentioned. A few schools with 2-3 mega boosters just having auctions every year, going after HS kids and kids who started their career at lesser schools. Basically no rules, no limits you can spent.

Agree with you regarding the Nebraska AD’s comments.

But your comment about ESPN and Fox paying Vandy and Northwestern the same amount as Alabama and Ohio State isn’t exactly accurate. ESPN and Fox aren’t the ones choosing to pay the schools equal amounts, the conferences are the ones who choose how to divide up the TV revenue.

When the SEC negotiates with ESPN, ESPN is fully aware that some teams are more valuable than others and they take that into account when determining how much they are willing to pay the conference for the entire package. It’s then up to the SEC to decide if they want to distribute that evenly.

That’s what’s driving a lot of FSU’s frustration. FSU believes they account for 15% of the value of the ACC but are only receiving 7% of the TV distribution. So I think it’s more likely that other schools would complain about how much Vandy receives rather than ESPN.

Now what might upend things, is if the conferences ever decide to go it alone and launch their own streaming networks, and stop doing business with ESPN and Fox. I’m not sure how likely that is, but it is worth noting that both Big Ten and SEC schools invested significant amounts to build on-campus control rooms, lay fiber optic wire, etc. in advance of the launch of their respective networks. So if the SEC decided to launch their own streaming service for say $15 per month, a significant amount of the investment required to get that up and running has already been taken care of.
Yep. One thing that helps the SEC is population shift. The BiG used to have way more population than the Southeast by a pretty good margin. Now the SEC footprint could match the BiG's if they add 2 more states and trends continue for another 6 to 8 years.

State-Population-Density-US-Census-2000.png

I heard that SMU boosters offered to pay $200million to join either the big 12 or acc and were turned down. They didn't even want a check from the conference until the next negotiation. I think lots of people are figuring out that when this shakes out you are going to have something close to the European soccer leagues. You'll have the top tier and mid tier. The top tier will cherry pick talent from the smaller tier and the difference in money will be exponential.

Even successful programs on the outside will crash under the weight of the spending necessary to compete with the top tier.

So FSU would give up $120 million to the ACC, all the home game revenue and all their TV money until 2036 just to say they’re in the B1G? They’d fall even further behind what they’re crying about now.

Yes. This was the poison pill of the GoR. They wanted a damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation.

What they didn’t realize is that money became so skewed with the SEC/B1G that it may make sense for FSU to pay 120 million and give up home game rights for 13 years JUST to be on a ship that isn’t slowly sinking.

FSU may have to borrow a billion and a half, but in the long run - or even the next blockbuster TV deal - it could pay off quickly.

Yes. This was the poison pill of the GoR. They wanted a damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation.

What they didn’t realize is that money became so skewed with the SEC/B1G that it may make sense for FSU to pay 120 million and give up home game rights for 13 years JUST to be on a ship that isn’t slowly sinking.

FSU may have to borrow a billion and a half, but in the long run - or even the next blockbuster TV deal - it could pay off quickly.
That's what is wild. It doesn't even sound like the SEC or BiG is actively recruiting those 4 acc schools. It sounds like they want out really really bad.

That's what is wild. It doesn't even sound like the SEC or BiG is actively recruiting those 4 acc schools. It sounds like they want out really really bad.

The GoR is such a death trap, it makes sense to make zero money but have a seat at the table. Even if you’re the worst, underfunded SEC or B1G team, you at least have a chance at relevancy someday.

The ACC GoR slowly bleeds you dry for 13 years and then at the end, you die.

I will admit I haven't read this entire thread. I will sum up my feelings like this: if there was any team in the ACC that could easily get out of their commitments to the ACC they would have already announced their new membership in the SEC or Big 10. The fact that FSU is spending their time whining and threatening instead of announcing the move tells you everything you need to know.

The GoR is such a death trap, it makes sense to make zero money but have a seat at the table. Even if you’re the worst, underfunded SEC or B1G team, you at least have a chance at relevancy someday.

The ACC GoR slowly bleeds you dry for 13 years and then at the end, you die.
I’m not sure how relevant you’ll be after 13 years of low level Sun Belt team like funding.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT