ADVERTISEMENT

Late getting to watch game

So, you would have been willing to see about 6 or 7 shot clock violations today in order to play for later in the year. These guys aren't working hard enough to get open and they're not confident enough to create their own shots. I'm guessing your answer is to make them learn on the fly and force them to make a play, even if it meant losing today's game. If we had lost today, what would the board be saying? I'll give you 3 guesses and the first 2 don't count.

So, yes, Wheeler is frustrating at times for sure. He also scored several times in late shot clock situations and also had multiple assists in those situations. He had the assist on the Wallace 3 late, also. We won this game, which is exactly what the team needed. I'll take it.
I think it’s hyperbolic to assume we would have 6 or 7 shot clock violations with Wallace/Reeves/CJ and Oscar on the floor. I think we would have better spacing and flow.

The few minutes we’ve seen these combos together we’ve looked good. I’d like to see more, and don’t believe it would be learning on the fly. 3 of those guys are in their 4th year of college.

I think it’s hyperbolic to assume we would have 6 or 7 shot clock violations with Wallace/Reeves/CJ and Oscar on the floor. I think we would have better spacing and flow.

The few minutes we’ve seen these combos together we’ve looked good. I’d like to see more, and don’t believe it would be learning on the fly. 3 of those guys are in their 4th year of college.
Maybe it is hyperbolic, a bit. Maybe not. I know this- you're assuming much. There is a reason Wheeler played as much as he did today and that's because he was the best chance for a win TODAY. I'm sure you didn't listen to the post-game but Cal basically said as much. He said he has guys who are improving and getting things figured out but he had to win this game. As so many here say over and over again, Cal makes excuses for early losses by saying he's playing for March, but our fans annihilate him either way. If he had lost this game today, I don't even want to know what this board would look like right now. So he played for the win TODAY and he's still getting ripped up one side and down the other. He can't win for losing. That's the truth. The hate here is very real. He can do nothing right in the eyes of many. Lose a game and he sucks. Win a game without dominating and he sucks.

• Haha
Reactions: KFuqua
All you guys slamming Wheeler, tell me who on the team can create a shot for himself or others in late clock situations. He's an easy target but the truth is, he's pretty much the only guy willing to take the ball and make a play. The guys I'd rather see take the shot aren't confident enough to make a play right now. I think Wallace is getting there but he defers. They all defer to Wheeler. I guess he should just do what the rest of them do- pass it to someone and go stand in the corner.
Bud you couldn't have it any more wrong .. Its by Cals design Wheeler has the ball in his hands , or maybe better stated any lack of design ?? And it's NOT Wheeler so much creating his own shot , its defenses wanting Wheeler to be the guy doing what's he's doing .. Yeah sometimes it works , but its a terrible offensive approach . Having what amounts to your worst FT shooter and your worst shooter take shots with the game on the line . It has nothing to do with confidence . Nothing ! . Its poor offensive game planning , thats simple .

Last edited:
Maybe it is hyperbolic, a bit. Maybe not. I know this- you're assuming much. There is a reason Wheeler played as much as he did today and that's because he was the best chance for a win TODAY. I'm sure you didn't listen to the post-game but Cal basically said as much. He said he has guys who are improving and getting things figured out but he had to win this game. As so many here say over and over again, Cal makes excuses for early losses by saying he's playing for March, but our fans annihilate him either way. If he had lost this game today, I don't even want to know what this board would look like right now. So he played for the win TODAY and he's still getting ripped up one side and down the other. He can't win for losing. That's the truth. The hate here is very real. He can do nothing right in the eyes of many. Lose a game and he sucks. Win a game without dominating and he sucks.
you are under his spell big time . you believe in Wheeler as much as Cal does . I dont . Time will tell. I'd rather you be right but I'm afraid you are going to regret going all in on Cal and his explanations and SW playing 36 min a game .
hard day of work ahead tomorrow -- good night :)

You keep embracing Wheeler, a PG that cant shoot very well, and now can’t make free throws. We all know he gets shaky at the end of close games. I’ll give you credit, you are going to die on the hill with him. But that’s exactly what’s going to happen.

you are under his spell big time . you believe in Wheeler as much as Cal does . I dont . Time will tell. I'd rather you be right but I'm afraid you are going to regret going all in on Cal and his explanations and SW playing 36 min a game .
hard day of work ahead tomorrow -- good night :)
We agree on that. If Cal is going to play Wheeler 37 minutes I hope he turns into Kemba Walker in the tournament.

Or who was that other little UCONN guard that torched us? Shabazz Napier? I can see why Cal has it in his head that a 5 foot nothing guard is the answer. I’m sure he has nightmares.

improvements; Cal did call time-outs toward end of close game.

Wallace proving to be clutch, but all his 3 turnovers were bone head.

Foul shooting must get better.

I see our guards having trouble guarding through double picks all the time. I never see us run that, no double picks, our picks are only Oscar coming all the way out from where he does the most good and our guard thinks for 3 seconds, then ignores Oscars pick half the time.
He called time out to ask his senior forward how he can throw a 6 foot pass 7 feet over the head of our shortest player.

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Any shit that Cal is rolling in is of his own making. He gets paid to win games, not end generational poverty. He has stated himself he doesn't care about winning the games. Or at least his players say so. But then this is the guy who keeps saying, "Oh! I gotta get this guy more minutes. I forgot he was on the bench!" Just remember, this is who you are defending.

there were some glimpses of greatness. our opponent could defend well enough to keep the game close and lacked talent on offense. We have a talented offense which needs to progress to running actual plays...how do you turn the ball over that many times and still win? free throws

juwan howard picked Ugonna to shoot free throws when wheeler went out....that right there was funny and inspiring. He made both free throws! ugonna is tall and shoots almost straight at the goal.

Straight stereotyping by Howard, our offense is not talented it has to many holes in it.

Livingstons time is getting cut bc Cal wants him to be a 3 so he ends up competing with Reeves and CJ. Reality is he should be getting almost all the 4 minutes and at least half depending on which Toppin shows up. And Collins should back up Oscar w Ugo getting foul trouble minutes
I'm in perfect lockstep with this except I think it depends on which Ugo shows up. The Ugo who tried to play against Gonzaga, eyes the size of saucers and seemingly still learning to walk, should have gotten foul trouble minutes. The Ugo we saw today (and also in some previous games except before today the data was irrelevant because the competition sucked) has a higher ceiling than Collins. Higher this year as well as higher down the road. That Ugo should split minutes with Collins at worst.

The wrinkle is, I could see you making the argument that Collins should get all those minutes precisely because he is more consistent than Ugo. There's not really a question about which Collins will show up—if Collins has trouble it's because the matchups are bad. And probably wouldn't be much better with Ugo. Collins doesn't generally have bad days. However, Ugo has incredibly little basketball experience. So little that I could see 15 minutes a game taking the edge off his own inconsistency by Spring. But I do agree when he comes out bad those minutes are better spent on Collins. Let Ugo decide his own fate, in other words.

My post got exactly the kind of reactions I expected. This board is a lesson in group think. Bring it boys! I can take it. There is no winning with many of you. One track minds. Are you at least glad the team won? I'd say many of you are disappointed.
Pretty disappointing post from you , but its indicative of where we are as Big Blue Nation . Pitted against one another . But I will add its insulting to say my personal opinion is part of some group think ? I know you dont wish too insult people , you are a good dude . maybe someone needed to tell you that your statement was insulting . That I dont have a strong enough personality/mind to form my own opinions ? You come across that your opinion is somehow more holy than us minions , and that doesnt play very well with the general population .
As far as " there is no winning with you boys" thats simply not true , Almost everyone was happy we won , the way we won was discussed as expected . Like every game . It seems you cant accept others opinions on cal and wheeler , maybe there's no winning with you ? Off to work for 9 hours soon , have a good one , Christmas season its here .

Livingstons time is getting cut bc Cal wants him to be a 3 so he ends up competing with Reeves and CJ. Reality is he should be getting almost all the 4 minutes and at least half depending on which Toppin shows up. And Collins should back up Oscar w Ugo getting foul trouble minutes

And therein lies the rub with Cal. Chris projects as a 3 at the next level, so Cal will just keep on trying to jam that square peg into a round hole. Nevermind that the best chance of success for KENTUCKY’S TEAM is for Chris to play the 4.

• Love
So, you would have been willing to see about 6 or 7 shot clock violations today in order to play for later in the year. These guys aren't working hard enough to get open and they're not confident enough to create their own shots. I'm guessing your answer is to make them learn on the fly and force them to make a play, even if it meant losing today's game. If we had lost today, what would the board be saying? I'll give you 3 guesses and the first 2 don't count.

So, yes, Wheeler is frustrating at times for sure. He also scored several times in late shot clock situations and also had multiple assists in those situations. He had the assist on the Wallace 3 late, also. We won this game, which is exactly what the team needed. I'll take it.
1. I think you take the Wheeler stuff way to far to read into it's all the negative on him. People are plainly stating he being on the floor is part of the reason why we end up with no good shots and it lands in his lap "to make a play".
2. The 80% vibe on Wheeler is directly focused on Cal....not Wheeler. If you back to 6 minute-ish mark of the game (i.e. about 9 min mark of the attached video). Cal is the one yelling out to slow it down, we quit even trying to run off rebound. We run those dumb sets with the bigs on the FT block setting screens for our guards that run to 3pt line on the wings....all the action is going away from the rim. And after 2 to 3 of those sets....with no viable shot. The ball swings back to Wheeler to make something happen under 10 second shot clock.

I'm glad we won the game,
- Happy Wallace hit the 3 to put it away.
- Glad Wheeler hit a fade away 12 footer as the shot clock was running out to keep us ahead.
- Glad Wheeler got fouled as another shot clock was expiring.

But the point is it never needed to come to that. It is stupid Cal coaching that is putting us in these last game situations when it's completely unnecessary. And he rarely even tries the Wallace PG, CJ SG and Reeves SF lineeup that many argue would space the floor and force teams to guard more spots and not end up with shot clock issues so much. I think you're missing the issue isn't so much Wheeler hate...its tiring of Cal's ineptitude.

Last edited:
My post got exactly the kind of reactions I expected. This board is a lesson in group think. Bring it boys! I can take it. There is no winning with many of you. One track minds. Are you at least glad the team won? I'd say many of you are disappointed.
It's very much like the old Tubby days when we had people here literally saying they would sacrifice multiple horrible UK seasons if it meant Tubby would quit or be fired.

I'm fed up and frustrated with Cal's lack of ability to change, or worse, what appears to be a lack of ability (or willingness) to coach to today's style of play. He's got this season and next, and if we are still flailing around and underachieving, I'll say it's time for Cal to move on. But at no point would I ever wish for UK losses and embarrassment to fulfill a "want a new coach" agenda.

Shades of the UNC game in 2017. Sad that it’s been six years and Cal hasn’t made any adjustments when it comes to playing against a zone (or playing one). This alone has cost us at least one title.
It's the most bizarre thing I've seen in college basketball. Every Cal team at UK has looked completely lost when a zone defense is employed. I think the problem is that Cal doesn't coach zone defense, so they likely never coach an offense to counter a zone defense. It's really the only explanation. When they try to attack a zone, they look like they are going through the motions of something they might have practiced, but didn't practice it enough to look fluid or comfortable.

Also, if other teams have difficulties when a zone defense is periodically executed, it would seem logical that perhaps, just maybe, that's a defense that Calipari should throw in there once in a while?? When we do see a zone, it's literally way too late in a game we're losing (desperation), or token for 4-5 seconds and never seen again, as if he's trying to placate the fans.

L
1. I think you take the Wheeler stuff way to far to read into it's all the negative on him. People are plainly stating he being on the floor is part of the reason why we end up with no good shots and it lands in his lap "to make a play".
2. The 80% vibe on Wheeler is directly focused on Cal....not Wheeler. If you back to 6 minute-ish mark of the game (i.e. about 9 min mark of the attached video). Cal is the one yelling out to slow it down, we quit even trying to run off rebound. We run those dumb sets with the bigs on the FT block setting screens for our guards that run to 3pt line on the wings....all the action is going away from the rim. And after 2 to 3 of those sets....with no viable shot. The ball swings back to Wheeler to make something happen under 10 second shot clock.

I'm glad we won the game,
- Happy Wallace hit the 3 to put it away.
- Glad Wheeler hit a fade away 12 footer as the shot clock was running out to keep us ahead.
- Glad Wheeler got fouled as another shot clock was expiring.

But the point is it never needed to come to that. It is stupid Cal coaching that is putting us in these last game situations when it's completely unnecessary. And he rarely even tries the Wallace PG, CJ SG and Reeves SF lineeup that many argue would space the floor and force teams to guard more spots and not end up with shot clock issues so much. I think you're missing the issue isn't so much Wheeler hate...its tiring of Cal's ineptitude.
Cal’s late game strategy has been and always will be our Achilles heel.

Pretty disappointing post from you , but its indicative of where we are as Big Blue Nation . Pitted against one another . But I will add its insulting to say my personal opinion is part of some group think ? I know you dont wish too insult people , you are a good dude . maybe someone needed to tell you that your statement was insulting . That I dont have a strong enough personality/mind to form my own opinions ? You come across that your opinion is somehow more holy than us minions , and that doesnt play very well with the general population .
As far as " there is no winning with you boys" thats simply not true , Almost everyone was happy we won , the way we won was discussed as expected . Like every game . It seems you cant accept others opinions on cal and wheeler , maybe there's no winning with you ? Off to work for 9 hours soon , have a good one , Christmas season its here .
Sorry to disappoint you. Almost everyone was happy we won, that says it all. The ones who only constantly offer negativity and can't even celebrate a win are the ones who frustrate me. The one who told all UK fans they're betraying the program if they attend a UK game while Cal is still coaching them, for example. How disappointed were you in that post? We're all UK fans here and "I think" we all want the best for the team, but sometimes I wonder. Just see my post as a counter-balance to some of these in the other direction.

And yes, Merry Christmas to you and yours man. And the same to everyone else. I hope the Cats can continue to improve and win. That would be an excellent gift. 🙂

It's very much like the old Tubby days when we had people here literally saying they would sacrifice multiple horrible UK seasons if it meant Tubby would quit or be fired.

I'm fed up and frustrated with Cal's lack of ability to change, or worse, what appears to be a lack of ability (or willingness) to coach to today's style of play. He's got this season and next, and if we are still flailing around and underachieving, I'll say it's time for Cal to move on. But at no point would I ever wish for UK losses and embarrassment to fulfill a "want a new coach" agenda.
I never wany UK to lose. Just can't be that way. I am already to the point of wanting Cal to move on. Everyone has their point. The last 2 years did it for me personally.

Good take Cawood, Take the W , but as many mentioned , just putting the ball in Wheelers hands as the shot clock runs down is pathetic . Its so bad its mind boggling . Yeah we won today , but UM was without their PG , we missed a ton of FT's ( that sound familiar ??) and SW hit a jumper and a runner that most certainly are not a path towards long term success .
Wheeler calls his own number quite a bit.

Cal spent any equity he had built up. He’s gotten himself into a spot where he needs to build that equity back up. He can only blame himself for being in this position.

Six years, hell. Remember 2010, WVU and the 1-3-1?! He’s never been able to figure out the zone. It’s baffling.
You beat me to it. THIS^^^^ was the moment I realized Cal was a mediocre x&o coach and a weak bench coach.

Haven't seen anything to change my mind in over a decade of watching his teams play against inferior talent....

Kudos for his recruiting ( with outside help). But Cal needs help on the bench. He just refuses to admit it or take any help from his assistant coaches based on his actions during a game.

Oh well. Nothing new to see yesterday. Same old same old.

I am always glad when UK wins. Whether it’s in basketball or checkers.
But I’m not going to act like beating an Unranked bad Michigan team is something to hang our hats on.
To me acting as if this is a huge win tells more about how far our program has fallen.

For those that are concerned about Wheeler getting heavy minutes (I'm one) ....the problem is there isn't a good option to take his place. The only other guard coming off the bench is CJ and he hasn't shown up in the bigger games. Reeves is already playing a lot at the three.

For all his flaws, Wheeler is one of our five best players.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
For those that are concerned about Wheeler getting heavy minutes (I'm one) ....the problem is there isn't a good option to take his place. The only other guard coming off the bench is CJ and he hasn't shown up in the bigger games. Reeves is already playing a lot at the three.

As long as he can keep the excessive outside shots and turnovers down, I am fine with him. Would be nice if we can have Wallace with the ball in his hands more towards the end of the shot clock if on the floor together as he is more likely to get a better shot. Have Wheeler focus more on pushing the ball up the court and trying to get to the rim right away. If that doesn't work, kick it to Wallace early in the possession so it's not up to him at the last second.

There might be a much better option and it might make CJ a threat -- playing Wallace , Reeves and CJ for long enough stretches to see if it works . But its never gonna happen .. CJ is gone . A great player , or at least at very very good player we are going to get nothing from .. cal is in his head . I can tell it . Then you add an offense not built to find spot up shooters and its just a bad combo. Cal fried him.

There might be a much better option and it might make CJ a threat -- playing Wallace , Reeves and CJ for long enough stretches to see if it works . But its never gonna happen .. CJ is gone . A great player , or at least at very very good player we are going to get nothing from .. cal is in his head . I can tell it . Then you add an offense not built to find spot up shooters and its just a bad combo. Cal fried him.
Yeah the system (or lack thereof) might be part of his problem, but I've got to say of all the new guys we've got he's been the most disappointing to me versus expectations. Looks like a mid major guy athletically...kind of slightly built (185) and a guy the other team will target defensively.

IMO there is nearly zero Cat fans wanting us to lose to force Cal out .. remember 100's or even 1000s of people see/use this board .. A rival troll or simply an A-hole might be posting a lot of this " let lose to get rid of Cal " stuff. And a few are using this bad stance to attack those of of that are peaches and cream every game . Discussing the team mean bringing the good and and the bad .. and lets be honest with our selves , we are not close to the point we hoped to be , even 8-9 games in , or whatever it is . Lost to a very beatable MSU , got ran out of the gym and looked atrocious in the Zags game , we are tied 20-20 against Bellarmine .... its not a good start . Yesterday was a small step forward . At least it was a W , but weaknesses are not just small question marks , they are glaring . Anyway my point is 99% of us want Cal to win # 9 . This year . Or even next . But his unwillingness to adapt and change make the thought seem impossible .. we gonna beat 3-4 good teams shooting terrible from the line ? Or relying on Wheeler as the clock goes down with ZERO set , or no plan at all to get someone really free . We want Jacob or big O shooting a 17 footer for the win ? not me.

Yeah the system (or lack thereof) might be part of his problem, but I've got to say of all the new guys we've got he's been the most disappointing to me versus expectations. Looks like a mid major guy athletically...kind of slightly built (185) and a guy the other team will target defensively.
I'm extremely disappointed , he hasnt been near aggressive enough , and yes , he's passed up shots . I have no clue why 2 snipers in 2 years suddenly refuse to shot .. only 1 common denominator .

Reactions: cathouse

Yes, this is what I've been trying to say. You want to win that game on Sunday, Wheeler was your best bet. He may not be the best bet in another month, but he was on Sunday. Name the better option. He made multiple plays in late shot clock situations. We don't win that game without him. He may drive you crazy, and he does me at times also, but he is a major reason we won that game.

Reactions: aikenite4uk
I love the " name the better option game" when the coach refuses to give any other option a legit chance . Pretty safe stand to take when any option other than wheeler is never gonna happen . I think sharp basketball minds see aJan/ Feb/ March rotation of Wallace / CJ / Reeves leading the way with Wheeler playing 15-20 a game is our best line up . Maybe if we run that guard rotation it isnt a nail biter at the end ? But we will never know .

Reactions: UKortho
Yes, this is what I've been trying to say. You want to win that game on Sunday, Wheeler was your best bet. He may not be the best bet in another month, but he was on Sunday. Name the better option. He made multiple plays in late shot clock situations. We don't win that game without him. He may drive you crazy, and he does me at times also, but he is a major reason we won that game.
I would agree. Stretch there late in 2nd half where he made plays to keep the lead or extend it.

The problem is, that's not always the case.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
I love the " name the better option game" when the coach refuses to give any other option a legit chance . Pretty safe stand to take when any option other than wheeler is never gonna happen . I think sharp basketball minds see aJan/ Feb/ March rotation of Wallace / CJ / Reeves leading the way with Wheeler playing 15-20 a game is our best line up . Maybe if we run that guard rotation it isnt a nail biter at the end ? But we will never know .
In all fairness, CJ has gotten his chances. In the three biggest games, he hasn't played very well. It's also conceivable we LOSE that game in the end without Wheeler. We'll never know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT