ADVERTISEMENT

Last thought on recruits

billoliver40

Senior
Dec 16, 2015
Trenton ky
Thinking we will keep players that John Calipari recruited and promised is a road to misery.

This coach openly said its about team, tradition, growth and the name on the front of the jersey.

This isn't what they had been promised. They have different dreams. Not wrong, just different.

New starts are exciting...invigorating even. But there are bumps, and we are on a different road.

A lot of words into a few, guys that Coach Cal was selling his idea to probably won't care for Coach Pope's vision.

I think all of them will decommit, some will go to Arkansas and some will pick a completely different school. I would be shocked if any of the Cal recruits sans Perry ended up at UK next year.

People keep talking about the new era like the big ass amount of NIL won't be a huge factor for who we sign. You would think we are gonna have a team of players playing for free.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
People keep talking about the new era like the big ass amount of NIL won't be a huge factor for who we sign. You would think we are gonna have a team of players playing for free.
I really don’t want to go down that road either. Kansas is trying the hired gun approach. That’s working better than one and done but they were out early and took some bad losses. Culture, Culture, Culture. UCONN isn’t a one and done factory or purchasing the highest bidder players. They are doing pretty well.

I really don’t want to go down that road either. Kansas is trying the hired gun approach. That’s working better than one and done but they were out early and took some bad losses. Culture, Culture, Culture. UCONN isn’t a one and done factory or purchasing the highest bidder players. They are doing pretty well.

I may be wrong, but I don't think his post was about a total "hired gun" approach like Cal.

However, I think the point is kids currently on the roster (Z, Thiero, etc) and even commits (Fland, JQ, etc) may not be automatic losses BECAUSE NIL is in play. If, and I know it may be a big IF, they talk with Coach Pope & Co, maybe their vision overlaps more than they thought it would b/c they hadn't spoken before. I am not saying I would expect (not even close, really) the recruits especially to recommit to Coach Pope, but I am just thinking it isn't impossible either.

I think it's more likely that some of the current guys stay b/c they've at least gotten of taste of BBN, so they may be more swayable if their vision matches with Coach Pope.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
Thinking we will keep players that John Calipari recruited and promised is a road to misery.

This coach openly said its about team, tradition, growth and the name on the front of the jersey.

This isn't what they had been promised. They have different dreams. Not wrong, just different.

New starts are exciting...invigorating even. But there are bumps, and we are on a different road.

A lot of words into a few, guys that Coach Cal was selling his idea to probably won't care for Coach Pope's vision.
I agree. The one thing we might have going for us is that some of these kids might've seen how bad UK was last year and already considered a switch to a better coach. Pope is (likely) that better coach, and while he isn't going to work through 1&D exclusively, there's no doubt there'll be some dynamic freshmen that come and go under his tutelage.

UK can still get guys to the NBA with the TV and fan exposure as well as the many connections we have. Nazr, Hayes, and Pat Riley are all true blue through and through, and have huge roles in NBA teams.

So yes, I think most of our recruits (lone exception being Perry) are going to other schools. I don't think it's as tough a sell for Pope to convince them to buy in, though. Kentucky really is everywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT