ADVERTISEMENT

Las Vegas Now SEC Bowl Destination

GGCAT

Junior
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
^
Great idea! One I have been championing for a while, would love the Sun Bowl, or one of the ones in California as an alternative every once in a while. As an example, I think 2018 was the 6th or 7th time Iowa played in the Outback Bowl, how excited can their fans get about another trip to Tampa? We have played in the MCB seems live 5 or 6 times ourselves.

^
As an example, I think 2018 was the 6th or 7th time Iowa played in the Outback Bowl, how excited can their fans get about another trip to Tampa?

Seriously? I'd think that Iowa fans would jump at ANY opportunity to leave the state of Iowa for at least a few days. Especially late December and early January. :D

^
As an example, I think 2018 was the 6th or 7th time Iowa played in the Outback Bowl, how excited can their fans get about another trip to Tampa?

Seriously? I'd think that Iowa fans would jump at ANY opportunity to leave the state of Iowa for at least a few days. Especially late December and early January. :D

Apparently not, even with Mississippi State who had never been there think the game only drew 35-40000 fans

Apparently not, even with Mississippi State who had never been there think the game only drew 35-40000 fans

They were probably snowed in. Seriously though, most bowls are having a tough time selling tickets. Outrageous ticket prices, hotels that gouge people for special events, and just the aggravation of trying to travel during the holidays period has put a dent in it, especially when they are all televised in glorious HD.

Reactions: 59DAWG
They were probably snowed in. Seriously though, most bowls are having a tough time selling tickets. Outrageous ticket prices, hotels that gouge people for special events, and just the aggravation of trying to travel during the holidays period has put a dent in it, especially when they are all televised in glorious HD.

Clearly they are, which is why the bowls are thinking of switching things up a bit to get more bang for the buck. Maybe some of the locals at Charlotte would go to a Belk Bowl if Stanford or Washington were in it, instead of another Wake Vandy matchup for the umpteenth time (sarcasm intended, but you get my drift)

They need to do something because it has gotten to the point that I have almost no desire to go to most of the SEC bowl locations.

Vegas is one destination that is universally successful. Check out the crowd when UK and UNC played there (contrast that with Chicago, New Orleans, New York, etc which have failed to draw good crowds for this same event each year). This is a great move by the SEC.

Also, this is a sign that the college football playoff will eventually have a turn in Vegas. Great news.

Lastly, this is one way to get the fanbases excited about a lower tier bowl game. If UK had played in Charlotte or Memphis this year against a mediocre ACC or Big 12 team, I was 50/50 about going. If UK had played a mediocre Big 10 or PAC 12 team in Vegas, I was all-in.

Vegas is one destination that is universally successful. Check out the crowd when UK and UNC played there (contrast that with Chicago, New Orleans, New York, etc which have failed to draw good crowds for this same event each year). This is a great move by the SEC.

Also, this is a sign that the college football playoff will eventually have a turn in Vegas. Great news.

Lastly, this is one way to get the fanbases excited about a lower tier bowl game. If UK had played in Charlotte or Memphis this year against a mediocre ACC or Big 12 team, I was 50/50 about going. If UK had played a mediocre Big 10 or PAC 12 team in Vegas, I was all-in.

Bowl games should be in places that people want to go to.

* Detroit? No
* Birmingham? No
* Shreveport? No
* Boise? Unless you like to ski, no.
* Charlotte? Not really.
* Annapolis? Not in late December.
* Montgomery? See Birmingham.

Bad thing about this is you eliminate the people who would only go with a reasonable drive. Now you are forced to fly to go with staying at hotels. Plus no one goes to Vegas without gambling. So you turn a reasonable drive with cheap travel into a much more expensive trip. With attendance on the decline, I'm not sure having non playoff bowls 2,000 or more miles away is a good thing.

Well unless you want to attract a bunch of single people that want to have a guys/girls trip to Vegas. The bowl would probably be more of a secondary thing to them though.

Charlotte as a Bowl destination isn’t a bad spot.

Charlotte's a nice city, but there's nothing there in the winter that makes me want to stay more than a day. When I think of great bowl destinations, I think of somewhere warm, with a beach nearby, or a lot of interesting things to do, such as gambling, lots of live music, golf, unique scenery, etc.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
If it ain't Florida, give me Memphis.

You got Tunica, walking ten feet off of Beal, Sun Records, and Graceland. Some years it's even warm!

And I haven't seen the ducks yet!

Charlotte's a nice city, but there's nothing there in the winter that makes me want to stay more than a day. When I think of great bowl destinations, I think of somewhere warm, with a beach nearby, or a lot of interesting things to do, such as gambling, lots of live music, golf, unique scenery, etc.
http://www.thelynnsdanceclub.com
What more could a man want?

You should check out the ducks sometime. That's pretty neat.

Next Liberty Bowl, I'm doing the Peabody and the Loraine Motel.

I think that's all I missed about ten years ago.

And I will eat dry-rub BBQ 'till physically ill.

Reactions: JDHoss
If it ain't Florida, give me Memphis.

You got Tunica, walking ten feet off of Beal, Sun Records, and Graceland. Some years it's even warm!

And I haven't seen the ducks yet!
I had some people telling me how horrible Memphis was when we played in the Liberty Bowl. I actually was leery about going and expected the worst. Turned out is was a great trip. Really enjoyed it.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS

* Detroit? No
* Birmingham? No
* Shreveport? No
* Charlotte? Not really.

Cities people WANT to visit don't have to host bowl games. That's why these cities host bowl games.

Reactions: sjjones
Turned out is was a great trip. Really enjoyed it.

My crew drove downtown just to drive passed Sun Records, but went on a tour at like 7:00 pm on a Sunday evening. Small building, but lots of history.

I laughed when someone in our group suggested Graceland, but I loved it, and have not ridiculed Elvis since I saw the wall covered with checks he had donated.

Cities people WANT to visit don't have to host bowl games. That's why these cities host bowl games.

Need to swap out the bowls in Detroit, Birmingham and Shreveport with another game in Boca Raton, St Pete and maybe FIU or Mobile or Dallas or somewhere else. I'd settle for the lower SEC bowls in Birmingham and Shreveport getting swapped to better locations.

Reactions: Ky grandpa and RV2
I have a feeling the SEC is going to be able to bring about the better locations. Because it’s the SEC, ya’ know.

For some reason, I’ve always liked the Sun Bowl, and thought it would be cool to do.

I hope we do the Cotton before I die, and Sugar.

I think our coaching staff might have disqualified us from this bowl, isn't the Belk among the lower bowls? Highly coveted a couple of years ago, but we may have outgrown it? I would rather see us go to the NC game than this anyway. The new Raiders stadium should be nice though.

* Detroit? No
* Birmingham? No
* Shreveport? No
* Charlotte? Not really.
Tampa ? Yuck. Ghetto
Miami? See Tampa.

SEC needs to scrap the Birmingham Bowl and get hooked in to the Bahamas Bow.
Once Cuba gets it MLB franchise, put a bowl down there.

Reactions: JDHoss

* Detroit? No
* Birmingham? No
* Shreveport? No
* Charlotte? Not really.
Skiing in Boise? I’ve never heard of Boise as a skiing destination.

That’s cute. But Boise is not a destination for skiers.

Even if you include Sun Valley (which is nearly 3 hours away) that doesn’t always make the list for top US ski resorts.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/best-ski-resorts-in-america-2015-12

Show me where I said it was a top skiing destination.[laughing] Still, if you like to ski and your team is in the Tater Bowl, there are worse bowl destinations. Unlike Birmingham, Shreveport and Detroit, there's at least something to do.

Show me where I said it was a top skiing destination.[laughing] Still, if you like to ski and your team is in the Tater Bowl, there are worse bowl destinations. Unlike Birmingham, Shreveport and Detroit, there's at least something to do.
I have just never heard of Boise as a skiing destination. I don’t really remember seeing mountains when I was there, but I live in Utah where we have real mountains and world class skiing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT