ADVERTISEMENT

Lance Ware enters transfer portal

It's not hard to see how far Cal has fallen.

Yeah but just because things are on the down doesn’t mean it can’t go back up. Just like programs on the rise and coaches on the rise aren’t always going to keep rising.

Pre 15 we had four final fours and one title. TBF that probably was never lasting no matter who coached.

I like the kid’s effort and heart a lot but he is the most easily replaced guy on the team who would see minutes.
Just keep moving the chairs around on the deck of the Titanic while it continues sinking, that will solve everything. According to some on this board, player "A", "B", and "C" are easily replaceable. However, I don't see anyone running to replace them. Why would anyone want to come to a place that has so many running from it?

During this mass exodus, the head coach is talking out of his @ss appearing totally oblivious to what is going on around him. While waist deep in water, he is shouting that the ship is unsinkable and if you can't play defense, he can't hide you.

Last edited:
It's a loss for UK and a win for Ware. He knows he won't get any better under Cal
it really doesn't matter if Oscar returns or not. ccc only plays one way and does not change the style of play to maximize the players strengths or hides their weakness. I too prefer the Nelson kid & the Utah Valley kid. both have the ability to get up and down the floor. one has the ability to handle the ball & score, while the other can block shots & rebound. Oscaar has one ability, rebounding. He finishes below the rim, which is why he has so many of his shots blocked. He doesn't have very good foot movement for defense and is limited offensively.

Not true. You must not watch UK basketball. Or any basketball.

Cal always adapts to the players.

That’s why it takes until Feb every season to figure out how each team needs to play.

But let’s just get back to the normal sky is falling RR mantra.

Oh, we will get our 10th guy. It will be another project player that does nothing. So we'll go into next season with four project players on our roster. Two will bust. One will be decent. One will meet expectations. We'll end up with a 7 1/2 man rotation, praying for good health when March rolls around.

No movement in the portal = we won't be landing a significant transfer portal player. Don't want to make the starters actually have to compete for minutes or anything. That might hurt Cal's street cred. Championships be damned as long as he maintains that street cred.
What school has their 10th man not be a “project player”?

Reactions: FitchandMurray29
Maybe if everyone but walk-ons leave, Cal won't have a choice but to leave. There is no way that Cal will coach (Lol) players that don't have at least 4 stars.

Last edited:
By my count we currently have 7 scholarship players not counting the Canada technicality of being 1.

This is the issue. Last few years we've been so thin that the inevitable turned ankle or other thankfully moderate injury results in core guys playing way too many minutes and having tired legs by season's end.

Ware was at best below mediocre but you could play him if absolutely needed. Now we'll just have no one. How do we even practice when we're at these thin rosters? No way guys are getting pushed.

Finally iirc ware and askew were part of the same class. Oof

Reactions: RunninRichie
While Cal does get a lot of flack for not filling out rosters to the max, we were never going into the next season with like no one lol.

I'm no fan of bringing back old threads to say "I told you so!"

I would also add, who among us back in May and June truly believed the roster would like it does today? Come on! I am pretty much an eternal optimist when it comes to this team, especially in the off-season and looking ahead to the coming team. Yes, I had Shagari Alleyne, Lukasz Obrzut, Sheray Thomas, and Bobby Perry sounding like the best front-court in college basketball at one time. And even I thought we were headed for disaster 6 weeks ago. It was looking at one time like it was going to be the freshman class we already had signed and that was it. It appeared as if we were going to be having tryouts for walk-ons to have a 5v5 scrimmage.

So, I'm not attacking anyone or belittling anyone for having some negative thoughts in May and June. It was bleak! And I think we're all thrilled with where we are right now. But I never thought we'd be here.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree. Never a great idea to bring up old threads to do the whole I told ya so thing.
It's a discussion board. Everyone posts opinions. People are going to be completely wrong from time to time.

I will say this tho. It might cause some to think twice before speaking in absolutes. So something good might come from that lol.

We all have thoughts. Some might think we are winning the title and going 40-0. Some might think we aren't making the NIT lol. At the end of the day the majority of us are normally wrong lol.

I still think it's odd to go to Nova who are also loaded and he won't play anymore than he would have at UK.Maybe just wanted closer to home.

I would also add, who among us back in May and June truly believed the roster would like it does today? Come on! I am pretty much an eternal optimist when it comes to this team, especially in the off-season and looking ahead to the coming team. Yes, I had Shagari Alleyne, Lukasz Obrzut, Sheray Thomas, and Bobby Perry sounding like the best front-court in college basketball at one time. And even I thought we were headed for disaster 6 weeks ago. It was looking at one time like it was going to be the freshman class we already had signed and that was it. It appeared as if we were going to be having tryouts for walk-ons to have a 5v5 scrimmage.

So, I'm not attacking anyone or belittling anyone for having some negative thoughts in May and June. It was bleak! And I think we're all thrilled with where we are right now. But I never thought we'd be here.
I believed it and said so to the CHC.

I was never concerned for one second about the roster.

I didn’t know who. Or care. But o knew we would have a full roster. And so did any thinking person.

It was only here that you heard the nonsense about a bare cupboard.

Reactions: IL Wildcat

I didn’t know who. Or care. But o knew we would have a full roster. And so did any thinking person.

Really?? I mean it’s not like we haven’t been shorthanded the past several years. 🙄

I was early in saying see how it shakes out. Did I think we'd be this happy at this point? No. But I knew we weren't going into the season with 7 guys. Many in a panic though.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
Folks were wringing their hands over the possibility that we wouldn’t have enough people on the team to hold practice. That’s the most uk offseason basketball fan thing ever

They didn’t believe it, they just take the Cal side no matter how bad it gets. JFCats calling anyone a clown is rich.

We could have added 7 kids from the school of the blind and you would be leading the Rah Rah charge.

Generally speaking.....more people need to be called out on their bullshit these days.
No doubt, people can take things to the extreme on either side of the Calipari argument and on either side of this roster argument. I have tried to avoid either extreme. I'm not against calling out the extremes.

Either way, and by way of being a peacemaker here, I think we're all pleased with where the roster is right now, and we'd all have to admit we didn't see some of these players coming. 😀

Reactions: Rockfly78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT