ADVERTISEMENT

Lance Ware enters transfer portal

There are several guys in the Portal who are interested in UK and won't be surprised to see a player or two enter now Dickinson made his choice. Kentucky could also pivot and look at some other positions and play a different style of basketball. Realize I'm in the minority but I didn't want Dickinson and don't want Oscar back--for different reasons.

I just don't see how anything is screwed until June 1st. CBB players have to enter the Portal by a week from today. That includes players in the NBA Draft currently. If they don't like what they are hearing from NBA teams, but don't want to return to school they were at, they have to enter the Portal. So by this time next week, you will know the list of guys available. The NCAA allows coaches to go to the NBA Combine to watch their players but also recruit guys who are on the fence about NBA and in the Portal. May 14-21st to be exact. There's time to improve this team a great deal still.
Why the heck don’t you want Oscar back? I don’t understand the hate for Oscar. Two time all American who would work well with the two seven footers.

Reactions: jmw23712
can understand this guy leaving. he just wants to play & honestly, he should never have been @ UK.
don't mind missing on Dickinson either. didn't think he was a good fit.
what does bother me is this dumb a.. supposed coach let the big kid go to Indiana, apparently hasn't reached out to the Utah Valley kid, and who knows is he has contacted the Nelson kid. All of this lack of activity even though there are glaring holes for a power forward, a center & a shooting guard. It is absolutely riduculous for the UK program to be held hostage while Livingston, Oscar & Reeves make their "business" decisions and ccc just sits and waits, twiddling his thumbs. He is a complete & total waste & embarrassment to the UK program and needs to pack up and leave.

ralphdalton........do you have any insight as to anyone that remains in the portal that UK has actually expressed interest in?
Nobody other than Grant Nelson and that shocked me they figured out he could play because rumors were he would enter the Portal prior to official announcement. Was pleasantly surprised they at least made a call there. His focus is on performing well at NBA Combine but he's entered the Portal and coaches can recruit at the NBA Combine IF a player is in the Portal.

Reactions: Ghettobird
Good kid I wish him nothing but the best. He stood the fight and did not complain or show negativity on the bench or towards the team. Will be rooting for him wherever he lands.

Reactions: dl51344 and MWes11
Seemed like a good locker room guy, but he's an end of bench effort player who's not a good defender and is only good for setting screens and the occasional clean up on the glass on offense. I still wish we would have let Ugo work through some of his inexperience instead of playing Lance.

Reactions: Cat06 and tomrain
12 players.You are dreaming.
7 that we have and then it will be 5 walk ons of Cal’s Pals. He not only makes sure his buddies are setup by putting them on the coaching staff but then he goes out and sets up his pals kids all while using UK!

Why the heck don’t you want Oscar back? I don’t understand the hate for Oscar. Two time all American who would work well with the two seven footers.
Don't trust Calipari will do what he's told the incoming class and how they are best suited to play. It'll be throwing the ball down to Oscar and 4 around 1 which is not how this group is suited to play. Him at the 5 spot and getting abused defensively.

Oscar/Cal agreed to part company prior to season. Got to see some of the issues a bit here/there, but it'll all be hashed out and work? I don't buy/trust that to happen.

Oscar was promoted as THE PROGRAM last year. For this team to work, he'd have to accept taking a step back. Not to mention he'd not make close to what he did NIL wise. See that being a major problem. #1 of my concerns with #1A being first thing written above.

I think he'd be a basketball disaster with 7'0 on the floor with him. He can't defend in space and would be a horrible fit basketball wise--or you'd play him at the 5 and lose rim protection and watch him get abused in pick and roll defense for the 3rd year in a row.

Think he's a great person. Wish him well &, I'll support the team/him no matter what is decided but I just think it's time to part company because the experience I've had in sports dealing with players is simple--it's IF/BUT or AND. What I mean by that is when you discuss a player or how he fits with the team...the positives usually always go with AND--he can do this and we can do this AND......

When it could be a problem and is going to detract it goes BUT or IF---the BUT has more to do with the assessment of a player individually (usually attitude which is not any issue in this case) with the IF being what coaches often try to do talking something that won't work into working. IF he does this or IF that guy develops...ends up with less than ideal result.

Clearly Ware would not leave unless he thought Oscar is coming back or another player is coming in.

Timing is interesting to me. Collins already in portal, don't land Hunter, Oscar seems like he wants to be gone, Linvingson seems gone (even though he didn't want to play the 4) - seems weird that most of the potential guys in his way to playing time have already left.

Does this mean Adou might be sliding over to more reps at the 4 (since he's growing and we already have DJ, Rob, and Reed - maybe Reeves)

Doesn't seem like we have an inside track to someone else in the portal? Timing just seems weird

Don't trust Calipari will do what he's told the incoming class and how they are best suited to play. It'll be throwing the ball down to Oscar and 4 around 1 which is not how this group is suited to play. Him at the 5 spot and getting abused defensively.

Oscar/Cal agreed to part company prior to season. Got to see some of the issues a bit here/there, but it'll all be hashed out and work? I don't buy/trust that to happen.

Oscar was promoted as THE PROGRAM last year. For this team to work, he'd have to accept taking a step back. Not to mention he'd not make close to what he did NIL wise. See that being a major problem. #1 of my concerns with #1A being first thing written above.

I think he'd be a basketball disaster with 7'0 on the floor with him. He can't defend in space and would be a horrible fit basketball wise--or you'd play him at the 5 and lose rim protection and watch him get abused in pick and roll defense for the 3rd year in a row.

Think he's a great person. Wish him well &, I'll support the team/him no matter what is decided but I just think it's time to part company because the experience I've had in sports dealing with players is simple--it's IF/BUT or AND. What I mean by that is when you discuss a player or how he fits with the team...the positives usually always go with AND--he can do this and we can do this AND......

When it could be a problem and is going to detract it goes BUT or IF---the BUT has more to do with the assessment of a player individually (usually attitude which is not any issue in this case) with the IF being what coaches often try to do talking something that won't work into working. IF he does this or IF that guy develops...ends up with less than ideal result.
I get all that and alwasy respect your opinion. . . but somebody tell me why its not an option for out highly paid coached to transform Oscar into a better space defender and rim protector.

I realize while a good strong athlete he is just not a fluid athete and his robotic movement is a liability on the floor in may situations. But cant good trainers and coaches help fix at least some of that. He's had these shortcummings since he got here 3 years ago and granted they got overlooked his first playing hear because of he was so successful as a rebounder etc. But why hasnt he shown any improvement in those three years becoming a more fluid player, with more polished moves, and more feel for protecting the rim etc????

Give me the 4 hours a day for the past 3 years with him and I guarantee he would have looked a little better.

I get all that and alwasy respect your opinion. . . but somebody tell me why its not an option for out highly paid coached to transform Oscar into a better space defender and rim protector.

I realize while a good strong athlete he is just not a fluid athete and his robotic movement is a liability on the floor in may situations. But cant good trainers and coaches help fix at least some of that. He's had these shortcummings since he got here 3 years ago and granted they got overlooked his first playing hear because of he was so successful as a rebounder etc. But why hasnt he shown any improvement in those three years becoming a more fluid player, with more polished moves, and more feel for protecting the rim etc????

Give me the 4 hours a day for the past 3 years with him and I guarantee he would have looked a little better.
He lacks lateral quickness and isn't a quick jumper. He's short for his position which is why his strength is so impressive and his will to fight to get rebounds is great. He was limited last year by adding bad weight (not for normal society but for a major D1 athlete) and then the injury. What you love if he's a world class effort guy. He'll give you his best/play hard-but basketball is a sport where the athleticism -those who do/don't have it stand out. The best athletes who can play great defense and are 6'10+ still have trouble but they provide more of a distraction and if they can hedge/recover and challenge, they are special defensively. Oscar hasn't shown this. Making it worse, he often doesn't even get a hand up to challenge outside or when clock is down and you have to do that--guys will make shots but hand down late in clock on a switch is taught at Junior High level and when you hear Calipari say things like "Oscar does some things he wants to do and doesn't take to coaching"--that's an example. Not saying Calipari is great..and he's correct about everything but it's an example of what would frustrate you as a HC and my pet peeve with Cal is if that is the case-bench his ass. Don't care who it is-they get benched if they don't do what they are told. But he was bigger than program last year and letting this crap slide is my bigger beef than the player doing it.

Did you see his NBA Workout Video he/his camp posted a few weeks ago? That was horrible movement for NBA basketball. It was robotic and not fluid. HIs weaknesses are his weaknesses. HIs strengths are his strengths. Everyone is talking about you can change this/that--players who aren't NBA prospects don't have room for much growth. That league requires athleticism and that's why fans are confused why a guy who didn't have a great college career or numbers is taken high in NBA Draft-and then turns into a successful Pro. So what does Oscar do well? We know he'll play hard and rebound the ball. Now you discuss fit with this upcoming team. How he plays is he a great fit? Consistently have stated I didn't like idea of Hunter Dickinson or Oscar with the '24 roster as it is. I'd rather have a kid like Grant Nelson or the shot blocker from Utah Valley (examples) who can move and provide fluidity and play really well at a faster pace/space the floor in Nelson's case or finish above rim in Utah Valley guy's case. I like how Onyenso fits with '24 team more as well. Shot blocker/rim protection. But I'd have given him all of Ware's minutes last year too.

End of day, I'm guessing Ware entered Portal because he realized that Oscar is likely back and they need to give Onyenso minutes which was laughable he wasn't getting from Ware's role last year. So you and others will be excited to have him back. I'll hope for the best but not expecting much and think it really could hamper the '24 team in terms of spacing. Which would help if they would get 2 more shooters-Reeves returning would be one but need another if you go back to Oscar-can't have 4 around 1 with the roster currently-they don't play that way or shoot well enough to make it work.

Reactions: fatguy87
Thank God — now Cal is forced NOT to play him . Guy was simply not Ky material
Ware was not UK "starter-material", but he was certainly good enough to be on UK's team. He was better than Jorts and AD's backup (Vargas)!
Some of you don't realize it is rare to have a team where your 10-12 guys are good enough to start at top-third P5 schools. Ware is good enough to start at certainly bottom-third P5 schools and some middle-third P5 schools. For example in SEC, he could start for Ole Miss, USC, UGA, possibly LSU (not last year), or Florida (not last year), or Missouri.

Ware was not UK "starter-material", but he was certainly good enough to be on UK's team. He was better than Jorts and AD's backup (Vargas)!
Some of you don't realize it is rare to have a team where your 10-12 guys are good enough to start at top-third P5 schools. Ware is good enough to start at certainly bottom-third P5 schools and some middle-third P5 schools. For example in SEC, he could start for Ole Miss, USC, UGA, possibly LSU (not last year), or Florida (not last year), or Missouri.
Rubbish. Jorts was a significant contributor and starter on a Final Four team. Ware hasn't sniffed a Sweet Sixteen in three full seasons at UK.

This post officially napalmed the last bastion of your already shaky credibility.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT