ADVERTISEMENT

Kyra Elzy owed 2.475 million due to contract extension signed in 2022

Lol this contract is obscene. What on earth did she do to warrant such a contract? Absolutely nothing, on the court at least.
She had a good first season (probably with Mitchell's players), then an unexpected SEC tournament championship in her second season. Then it went in the trash can in the next two seasons. Her contract was probably based on the first two seasons.

It still amazes me that sucking at the one thing you’re hired to do…win….is not termination with cause. What an upper hand coaches created.

I imagine Elzy will get an assistant job somewhere and that number will be cut to about 500k/year over the next 3 years for the buyout.

It still amazes me that sucking at the one thing you’re hired to do…win….is not termination with cause. What an upper hand coaches created.

I imagine Elzy will get an assistant job somewhere and that number will be cut to about 500k/year over the next 3 years for the buyout.
It’s insane, besides being a CEO I can’t think of any other position outside coaches that get paid huge money to go away.

She had a good first season (probably with Mitchell's players), then an unexpected SEC tournament championship in her second season. Then it went in the trash can in the next two seasons. Her contract was probably based on the first two seasons.

I don't really follow it, but I seem to remember basically everyone leaving very early on which resulted in immense struggles then that surprise tournament run.

If that's so, I get the extension. That part is fine. I don't get overpaying by at least twice when the coach must recognize they were a miracle run away from being unemployed.

So imo the contract is still obscenely bad. Mitch just strikes me as someone who doesn't understand how to use leverage. When he has it, it's like he doesn't know. When he doesn't, he's basically hat in hand.

I don't really follow it, but I seem to remember basically everyone leaving very early on which resulted in immense struggles then that surprise tournament run.

If that's so, I get the extension. That part is fine. I don't get overpaying by at least twice when the coach must recognize they were a miracle run away from being unemployed.

So imo the contract is still obscenely bad. Mitch just strikes me as someone who doesn't understand how to use leverage. When he has it, it's like he doesn't know. When he doesn't, he's basically hat in hand.
He raise when she signed the extension was about $150k...not totally outrageous. The biggest screw up was the 100% buyout when fired without cause. I think he probably could have done 50% or so and owed about a million less at buyout time.

Has anyone heard of the SEC network? You do know they show women's sports on there right? and therefore, some of the TV checks the SEC sends out to their members includes money from the Women's sports.

• Haha
Reactions: catben
Stoopid. but these kinds of contracts and buyouts are common across college basketball. don’t understand it but it ain’t my money

Its a give away program i guess...i mean he could have looked at her and asked where else she was going to go and refuse to pay the money. If she found somewhere, oh well. No one was gonna raise hell about her leaving even after managing to piece together one run.

Man, how much money has Mitch cost UK with these silly contracts on their coaches? Nobody else was coming after Elzy. Joker was a first time coach so pay him the bare minimum. Nobody wants Stoops but we have him extended until like 2030. The insane contract to Cal. Had to fire Joker, BCG, Elzy, Gary Henderson so buyouts for all of them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT