ADVERTISEMENT

KU "Struggles" Against Mediocre D-2 Team

And I see we're kissing Self's butt again......

The man is a glorified cheater....remember that.
He is still a really good coach, I don’t like Kansas but I’m not gonna act like what self has done there isn’t impressive or that he is a bad coach. Kansas will be good, they are 90 percent of the time

I agree, he will feast down low, but let him get his and shut down every other player. Dickhead would still get his with our 7 footers playing, he is a double double machine in college and can score. His defense sucks. I still think we have a punchers chance even without our bigs.
Kentucky can beat them, I don’t think Kentucky gets blown out or anything. I expect it to be a lot like the 2018 game vs Kansas. It’s close for 35 mins and in the last 5 mins Kansas will make 2-3 more plays because they have more experience. But I do think Kentucky can win, if our guards speed the game up and get on transtition and make this a track meet type of game then Kentucky can win

How do you think we will fare against them when we get our THREE seven footers going?
They would help. Kentucky can win that game, I’m not expecting a blowout, but Kansas isn’t bad because they lost a charity game and played meh in an exhibition game. Kentucky isn’t bad either because they struggled for one half in their game.

Reactions: KYFOSSIL
I agree with you, but the same should’ve been said during the Georgetown game
Very true, from our perspective we overreacted because we care. I said the stuff I did because I wanted to get people going and knew I could bait them, I knew what my expectations were and what they should be to be realistic. But I agree Kentucky deserves the same benefit of the doubt in these games our fans(myself included) are giving other teams. Especially when you factor in Kentucky is missing 75 percent of their front court and has a lot of young players

Reactions: KYFOSSIL
I hope Kansas sucks as bad as the next guy but these exhibitions don’t usually mean a whole lot

Reactions: westerncat
Self's record is about on par with Cal's at UK, while self has been at KU for 20 years to Cal's 13 at UK. In that span. Self has 3 F4 and 2 banners. 2 of those F4'S were over a decade ago. Cal has 4 F4's and a banner. Pretty even if we're being unbiased. So if you're fine with Self, you should be okay with Cal.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
In 20 years at Kansas Self has 11 one seeds. Avg seed: 1.9
Not sure what this post is for. One seeds do not guarantee tournament success, as I'm sure you know. Self's teams regularly perform well in the regular season and thus get a nice seed. He is a fine coach.

Anyway, it led me to make a comparison.

Self in 20 years: 8 Years Elite 8 or higher
2 Champions, 1 Runner Ups, 5 Elite 8s
8 years of going home early (1st or 2nd round).
1 year of missing the tournament (technically, because of vacated games).
So, 45% of the time, he has had a bad (or nonexistent) tournament performance.

Calipari in 14 years: 7 years Elite 8 or higher
1 Champion, 1 Runner Up, 2 Final Fours, 3 Elite 8s
2 years of going home early.
2 years missing tournament altogether.
So, 28% of the time he has had a bad (or nonexistent) tourney performance.

I'm hoping Cal can get another ring and a few more final fours in the next 6 years. And, of course, that Kansas has a few more early flame outs. As for me, I could go without a Kentucky flame-out for the next decade or so.

*edit for vacated games

Self and Kansas will have a down year, eventually. It happens even to the best. This year they may struggle.

Reactions: Kentucky2022
KU has three advantages, they have a coaching advantage, an experience advantage, and they have the best player on the floor. Kentucky has nobody to guard Dickinson, he will get his and then some. Self also probably isn’t showing everything In these games, I just don’t see Kentucky beating Kansas with only one really front court player
They don't have a better coach , they don't have the best player but they do have a decent experience advantage . And they have a size advantage for the moment too. I think UK wins 71-68 something like that.

Reactions: Kentucky2022
Self's record is about on par with Cal's at UK, while self has been at KU for 20 years to Cal's 13 at UK. In that span. Self has 3 F4 and 2 banners. 2 of those F4'S were over a decade ago. Cal has 4 F4's and a banner. Pretty even if we're being unbiased. So if you're fine with Self, you should be okay with Cal.

Oooo, Kansas fans and some folks here ain't gonna want to hear this one.

Reactions: F. Gallagher
You sure love you some Kansas don’t ya? You’re acting like they’re the UCLA dynasty and Bill Self is John Wooden.
No it’s being honest with myself, acting like they will be and isn’t a good move given self’s history. He owns that league and just won a title recently.

Fair but recent bias is a thing and recently self has been a lot better

Fair but recent bias is a thing and recently self has been a lot better
Not much. They had 1 year that ended in a F4. Aside from that, it's a pretty similar record. We had the abysmal covid year where they weren't quite as bad. But they weren't that good then either. Not to mention, they were cheating!

Again, if you're okay with what Self has done record wise at KU, you can't feel too differently about Cal if you're being logical and fair. That's just my take.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Not much. They had 1 year that ended in a F4. Aside from that, it's a pretty similar record. We had the abysmal covid year where they weren't quite as bad. But they weren't that good then either. Not to mention, they were cheating!

Again, if you're okay with what Self has done record wise at KU, you can't feel too differently about Cal if you're being logical and fair. That's just my take.
They have a championship, Kentucky doesn’t, that’s what makes them better for right now, I agree it’s not as overblown, as it is made out to be, but that second championship for self is a gap right now. Cal is getting a lot of slack he doesn’t deserve, but that Tucker article yesterday highlighted what a lot of people have though

Reactions: bookerfan66
No it’s being honest with myself, acting like they will be and isn’t a good move given self’s history. He owns that league and just won a title recently.
That league? Big 12 isn’t exactly murderer’s row. Aside from Baylor winning it all in the Covid year, it’s mediocre at best.

He is still a really good coach, I don’t like Kansas but I’m not gonna act like what self has done there isn’t impressive or that he is a bad coach. Kansas will be good, they are 90 percent of the time
But can we say he's a "good coach" when we know the amount of cheating that has gone on?

They have a championship, Kentucky doesn’t, that’s what makes them better for right now, I agree it’s not as overblown, as it is made out to be, but that second championship for self is a gap right now. Cal is getting a lot of slack he doesn’t deserve, but that Tucker article yesterday highlighted what a lot of people have though
But that was Self's 19th season. So, if people think that's okay, shouldn't they be cutting Cal a little slack since he is only in season 14?

Last edited:
Dude always wins...My goodness, look at 2022. Highest rated recruit was ranked 38th---McCormak. Lost to Dayton...Struggled with North texas...Struggled with SF Austin...Blwon out at home, by........yep----Kentucky.

What was the knock?

No shooters, besides this guy, or maybe this guy...

And well, they won the national championship.

Self never has a bad team
Exactly-how many years in a row did they win their conference- Kansas is always good and has a chance to win it all about every year

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Only winning by 18 against Fort Hays State and got outscored in one of the halfs to a team that finished in the middle of their conference last year.

We won by 23 against a team that would blow out their opponent.

Where are all the takes about how bad Kansas must be this year?

Also, it's increasingly apparent that Kansas has ZERO (NONE) bench production, and really 3 main pieces in HD, Adams and McCuller.

McCuller appears to be their only shooter as well.

The rest of their team combined went 8-28 from the field and only two 3FGs.

In 2 games so far (Illinois and Ft. Hays State)- outside of McCuller, they have made a grand total of THREE 3FGs. Not good at all, folks.

And also in the Illinois game, HD, Adams and McCuller were the only real contributors, with the rest of the team scoring a combined 14 points on 6-17 shooting.

Hard not to feel optimistic about our chances against KU, but we'll see how tomorrow night goes, and the next couple of games.
Georgetown College is NAIA, which is below Div 2 in the hierarchy.

Div. 1 > Div. 2 > Div. 3 > NAIA in terms of money spent on athletics, and also average quality of teams.

Last edited:
It’s a good point, self got his second, until cal gets his, self will have a advantage over him
I definitely think Self has an advantage in titles, but I don’t think their records are that far off, and self has had several years advantage. Plus, Self has been invovled in a few cheating scandals along the way, plus some very questionable ethics issues when it comes to playing certain players with pretty serious criminal allegations.

By all accounts, Cal has been squeaky clean at UK and has still has a very similar record. And it's not like Cal has not performed well head to head the last few years.

I missed this earlier but Furphy did play in this exhibition game. Apparently he looked a little lost on offense. Only had 2 points in 14 minutes.
I thought he was hurt still. Either way writing off Timberlake before the year starts isn’t a smart move

Only winning by 18 against Fort Hays State and got outscored in one of the halfs to a team that finished in the middle of their conference last year.

We won by 23 against a team that would blow out their opponent.

Where are all the takes about how bad Kansas must be this year?
Because this is a Kentucky Basketball fan forum message board. You know, about Kentucky Basketball. I haven't kept up with obscure preseason games, myself, unless Kentucky Basketball is in it.

Georgetown College is NAIA, which is below Div 2 in the hierarchy.

Div. 1 > Div. 2 > Div. 3 > NAIA in terms of money spent on athletics, and also average quality of teams.

True in regards to money.

However, there are some NAIA teams that would destroy some teams from Div 2 and 3. There isn't enough of a talent variance in basketball to simply assign a 4-tier hierarchy to that degree. Geography, coaching, and networking are fundamentally critical in lower levels of basketball.

Reactions: bbncal02
True in regards to money.

However, there are some NAIA teams that would destroy some teams from Div 2 and 3. There isn't enough of a talent variance in basketball to simply assign a 4-tier hierarchy to that degree. Geography, coaching, and networking are fundamentally critical in lower levels of basketball.
Was about to say the same. Div 2 usually has to offer 10 sports. That's a lot for even a college like GT. NAIA is just a separate league and is actually the older of the 2, the other being the NCAA. When the NCAA formed, a bunch of larger programs bolted from the NAIA. The quality of the athlete at an NAIA school is usually on a Div 2 level. But not always.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT