ADVERTISEMENT

KSU trick play

did I miss this? when did they do it?
Wasn’t really a trick play, they just had all five guys start on the baseline after a basket, had Nowell go to the corner, and the other guys kind of formed a wall in front of him so he could catch the inbounds pass and shoot the free throws after we fouled.

Reactions: dean_oliver222
Wasn’t really a trick play, they just had all five guys start on the baseline after a basket, had Nowell go to the corner, and the other guys kind of formed a wall in front of him so he could catch the inbounds pass and shoot the free throws after we fouled.
It's a trick play. You see anyone else doing this regularly?

What did everyone think of the trick inbounds play KSU ran last night?
It was a different approach from lobbing it into the corner to the extended arm play we chose to run. Cal loves that play so much that when providence started pressing full court that is what we ran to inbounds the ball against full court pressure.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
was it at the end? to be honest I walked out of the room when we were down 5 with less than a minute to go, I was pretty pissed

The fact that Cal continued to run the bullsh*t lob play made it even more comical. UT forced us into a turnover because they knew it was coming. Providence ALMOST caused a turnover during it. I think KSU caused a turnover with it.

It shows that Cal never learns. Stubborn dipsh*t.

Much better than throwing it to Oscar in the backcourt and immediately turning it over because of it (we did this once when inbounding from halfcourt, k State proceeded to hit a 3).

Not a trick play. It's a prevent play.

I was telling my wife we needed to identify the worst FT shooter on the floor, then foul that player before the inbounds to prevent the clock from starting, and to get the worst FT shooter on the line. It's like the coach read my mind from 1500 miles away - out comes his team all lined up out of bounds. Specifically to prevent our guys from fouling their worst FT shooter and preventing the clock from moving.

Problem is, as great of a strategy that was by Tang, Cal probably had no plans or instruction to do what I suggested above. He was likely just talking "trap and get a steal or jump ball". Tang gave Cal way too much credit on that play, IMO.

Reactions: know1
Yeah, Oscar is just not ball-strong sometimes.
The coach should never draw that up or allow it to happen. It was the patented “post your man up” so the inbounder can lob it to you. 50 feet from the goddamn basket. Then Oscar was supposed to hand it back off to a guard, but k state sniffed it out and was right there to steal the ball. That one play alone should be enough to fire Cal, or at least be reason enough to never run that stupid ass play again.

Last edited:
Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT