ADVERTISEMENT

Scoring is the name of the game in today's basketball

Cal:

giphy.gif

Imo, offense always needs to take priority over defense. All the defens in the world, and you still score 0 points from it.

I've never really cared that much when some of our guys have been liabilities on defense.. I remember Herro at times would let players by. But we needed him to make shots. Not EVERY guy in the floor has to be an A-level defender.b

Offense looks good when shots are made.
Offense looks bad when shots are missed.
It's funny, if Reeves goes 5/15 instead of 1/15, the Cats most likely have over 80 points and win.

A lot of the fanbase has been clamoring for a modern offense that stresses/prioritizes 3s and drives to the basket.

My goodness, how many wide open 3s did Reeves miss, most of which were off good offensive sets. He was our best 3 pt shooter the entire year, and crapped his pants at the worst time.

I blame Cal for a lot of things as to why this program is where it is, but the loss to KSU is not one that I put on him.

If the results from tonight hold as currently standing(UT and UCLA winning), the top 4 defenses in Kenpom would be in the final 10 teams remaining. SDSU is 6th, Texas 10, UCONN 13, Creighton 14. That would be 8 of the final 10 in the top 15.

I would argue as offenses get more efficient, the importance of defense and creating easy opportunities from your defense is even more important. Also college kids are so emotional/momentum dependent so oftentimes performance on one end impacts the other.

Hopefully FAU wins tonight and lessens this argument.

I haven’t watched any of the tourney but I just saw the score of the UT game. Looks like offense is king from that score.

• Haha
Reactions: ruppsrunt66
Imo, offense always needs to take priority over defense. All the defens in the world, and you still score 0 points from it.

I've never really cared that much when some of our guys have been liabilities on defense.. I remember Herro at times would let players by. But we needed him to make shots. Not EVERY guy in the floor has to be an A-level defender.b
Forcing live ball turnovers and blocked shots by the defense create the most effective offense

Forcing live ball turnovers and blocked shots by the defense create the most effective offense

Not if you can't score. I get what you're saying, those potentially create fast breaks. But all the blocks and steals in the world, technically, get you nothing on the score board.

You need to have guys who can create their own offense, hit shots, have nice touch around the rim. You need that first. Those are finesse things.. you can get them to put effort on defense later (and "effort" gets you most of the way there on defense).

It's funny, if Reeves goes 5/15 instead of 1/15, the Cats most likely have over 80 points and win.

A lot of the fanbase has been clamoring for a modern offense that stresses/prioritizes 3s and drives to the basket.

My goodness, how many wide open 3s did Reeves miss, most of which were off good offensive sets. He was our best 3 pt shooter the entire year, and crapped his pants at the worst time.

I blame Cal for a lot of things as to why this program is where it is, but the loss to KSU is not one that I put on him.
WHO put the game in Reeves hands to MISS all of those shots???

WHO brought Reeves into the program to be a SCORER in the BIGGEST games of the year???

WHO NEVER made sure that the confidence level of his players was at a point to where going 1/15 would EVER happen?????

The offensive deficiencies of this team AND the last 3 are SQUARELY on Cal!!!!!

You sure? I was told our defense was the problem. I mean if a team drops 75 points on you in the tournament like K State did you basically have no chance so they do have a point.

Reactions: kyjeff1

Yess. Hell yes! I get sick of hearing about how damn important it's all guys must be great on defense to play for Cal. You can score points off turnover which happen if you play good defense but overall what it boils down to is if you can't score the ball then hell with the D too. I mean defense is important but the object of the game is putting the ball through the hoop more times than your opponent and you win ball games if you can do that. Simple.

Hell, we go for too many guys who can jump high, run fast, and brick shots. We never just have a guy who can come in hit a couple 3s who is slow or white and all he can do is shoot it from deep. But makes em. Sometimes you need a kid like that. Almost Derek Willis wheb he first started getting mins and shot would fall but D look terrible. Lol. Not gotta be a guy who plays 40 mpg. Just a reliable shot. Instant offense. Another piece. This doesn't mean I dont care about defense. I just wished Calipari could recruit with common sense at times. Not many will agree with this take but it's fine. I agree offense is a tad more important.

Yess. Hell yes! I get sick of hearing about how damn important it's all guys must be great on defense to play for Cal. You can score points off turnover which happen if you play good defense but overall what it boils down to is if you can't score the ball then hell with the D too. I mean defense is important but the object of the game is putting the ball through the hoop more times than your opponent and you win ball games if you can do that. Simple.

Hell, we go for too many guys who can jump high, run fast, and brick shots. We never just have a guy who can come in hit a couple 3s who is slow or white and all he can do is shoot it from deep. But makes em. Sometimes you need a kid like that. Almost Derek Willis wheb he first started getting mins and shot would fall but D look terrible. Lol. Not gotta be a guy who plays 40 mpg. Just a reliable shot. Instant offense. Another piece. This doesn't mean I dont care about defense. I just wished Calipari could recruit with common sense at times. Not many will agree with this take but it's fine. I agree offense is a tad more important.
What would a list of players you describe be over the last 25 years look like ?? Wiltjer, Willis, I assume would be on it …

KSU scores 98 and UConn has 75 with 8 minutes left in their game. The days of winning BIG GAMES in a "rockfight" are over.

Hope our HIGHLY OVERPAID headcoach FINALLY realizes this!!!!!!!
It's what I have been saying for years. All these teams that are all defense first and go on scoring droughts, go home early.

I don't care how good your defense is, good offenses are going to score on you. You better be able to score.

Tennessee was the best defensive team in the country, it worked against duke, because Tennessee scored when they had to, but look what happened last night. UT couldn't score and FAU went on an offensive flurry.

Our defense was easily good enough. It’s not like we were letting teams score in the 80's, our problem was always the offense. When our offense was good, we won big, when we labored to score, we lost.

Heck, Gonzaga's defense is meh, they let Pepperdine drop 88 on them, but they still won the game.

In the NCAAT, your offense has to be on point. You still have to be good defensively, but you have to be elite offensively.

Offense looks good when shots are made.
Offense looks bad when shots are missed.
When you don't recruit great pg's, you struggle to feed the post, you base your offense on isolation (remember, you need elite guard play for that) and you settle for long two's, you're going to miss a lot of shots.

it's a new era of coaching in college hoops ... May, Tang, Hurley, Oats and so on ... maybe SDSU and the Texas coaches join them in the Elite 8 ....

Nobody said we should prioritize 3's. What was said was a 3 pointer is a better shot than a long 2 pointer and tgat we should shoot more than 12 a game.

What was also said is that Cal runs Iso and post offense. That shit is old school.

Also, when you run offenses like that, you better not have the pg's we have had since Fox moved on to the NBA.

We’re talking about a coach that refused to run ANY type of a different offense when he had Skal at the 5, or when he had Askew, Hagans and Wheeler at point. You have to be some kind of a special idiot to put Skal in the post and think that Devin Askew and Sahvir Wheeler are UK pg material.

If you're running iso, why in thee hell would you bring Askew, Hagans and Wheeler in to run point?

If the results from tonight hold as currently standing(UT and UCLA winning), the top 4 defenses in Kenpom would be in the final 10 teams remaining. SDSU is 6th, Texas 10, UCONN 13, Creighton 14. That would be 8 of the final 10 in the top 15.

I would argue as offenses get more efficient, the importance of defense and creating easy opportunities from your defense is even more important. Also college kids are so emotional/momentum dependent so oftentimes performance on one end impacts the other.

Hopefully FAU wins tonight and lessens this argument.
This didn't age well.

Talk about SDSU, Creighton, UConn and Texas, their offenses are better than their defenses. Heck, does Creighton actually have an elite defense? I haven't looked, but that's never been their DNA.

I haven’t watched any of the tourney but I just saw the score of the UT game. Looks like offense is king from that score.
Maybe you should have waited until the game was over to post this. FAU went on an offensive surge against the best defense in the game and won going away. That great defense couldn't score when they needed to.

WHO put the game in Reeves hands to MISS all of those shots???

WHO brought Reeves into the program to be a SCORER in the BIGGEST games of the year???

WHO NEVER made sure that the confidence level of his players was at a point to where going 1/15 would EVER happen?????

The offensive deficiencies of this team AND the last 3 are SQUARELY on Cal!!!!!
So when Reeves hit 4/7 threes against Auburn, or scored 37 against Arkansas, or lit up Providence in first round on 5/9 from deep, are we crediting Cal? Was Cal building up his confidence those games, but in his head the games he couldn't buy a three?

Nobody said we should prioritize 3's. What was said was a 3 pointer is a better shot than a long 2 pointer and tgat we should shoot more than 12 a game.

What was also said is that Cal runs Iso and post offense. That shit is old school.

Also, when you run offenses like that, you better not have the pg's we have had since Fox moved on to the NBA.

We’re talking about a coach that refused to run ANY type of a different offense when he had Skal at the 5, or when he had Askew, Hagans and Wheeler at point. You have to be some kind of a special idiot to put Skal in the post and think that Devin Askew and Sahvir Wheeler are UK pg material.

If you're running iso, why in thee hell would you bring Askew, Hagans and Wheeler in to run point?
We did shoot more than 12, we shot 20, and most of them were wide open 3s ran using good offensive sets for our best 3 pt shooter.

I keep posting this stat, but most ppl fail to acknowledge it...in the Cats last 6 wins this year, they averaged 13 3s attempted a game...in our last 4 losses, they averaged 20 3s attempted, and shot terribly from deep. This is not a team that should have been shooting more than the 12 3s a game you are advocating for.

Also, FAU won 62-55...that game was won with defense. Not a good example to use. If you wanted to use a good example to buoy your argument for winning games with offense, should have used KST & MSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT