ADVERTISEMENT

KSR won’t last long if Matt ever quits…

This is not a post to bash KSR or Matt, but I'm kind of surprised that it's still around to be honest. And I wonder about the future of the longevity of the show as well.

They had a great business model and they really, really took off. That being said, they also benefitted from some good timing as well. They built their fan base core during the end of the Tubby, start of BillyG and start of Cal timeline where there was a lot of change and a lot of interest and a lot of stories to pursue. I feel like they really started getting noticed around that time...without going back to fact check.

If they hadn't launched until 2016, for example, do people think they would be even a fraction as popular as they are now? Or even still around?

If Apple hadn't put the iPhone out until 2020, would they have the same market share? I understand what you are saying, but I'm not sure it is the right comparison. A lot of companies that are successful benefit from some luck and good timing.

Matt is a great host. It is hard to listen when he isn't there, but they have done okay without him (I need something to listen to during slow days). But it'll be good to have him back.

The show works because they give UK news, but they aren't an X's and O's show, and they talk about pop culture and random topics to draw from a wide fan base.

Normally I just leave the show on and listen while I do other things. Here lately on the days when the show isn't that good. I have been tuning out early more often.

Reactions: CatTough
I’m sure none of it was your fault, but my god that was the worst radio show of all time. I heard that Cross got sued for sexual harassment, fired, and had a heart attack, but that he’s still alive doing nothing. Tha CASSSStle

Yeah I mean my responsibility was counting down to break, going to break and bringing them back on air. That and setting up/breaking down equipment. I had zero responsibility for anything else. I did more on Sunday show for a brief period. Actually hosted a few of those episodes.

Either way, it was a great experience. Going to the press conferences and things like that was awesome. Saturday pre-football was incredible. Good memories from those things.

Reactions: StubbornPenny
I don't hate him for it, but I'm envious of his job to an extent. I was in radio and producing/hosting going back to 2005 timeframe. I worked out of 1300 studio on Main Street. I think it is the same studio where Cutler broadcasts from now.

I just wish I would have had the foresight he did. Pretty genius business model tbh.

I quit radio because I didn't want to move all over the country to advance. He has advanced without moving anywhere 😂
You worked for LM?

Matt is the cornerstone for sure.
But he does irritate me when he is hosting. He talks over everyone else. I just started listening again when Cal left. It is pretty obvious

Yeah I mean, the show is still skippable when it’s Ryan Shannon and drew but it’s OK. When they add a host it’s just awful. I bet the ratings numbers are pretty bad right now.
It's just going to be because of the time of year too. The only major sport going is baseball and golf. The Olympics need to hurry up and get here.

I wonder if Jones' absence for that long (two months, right?) might risk some permanent damage to the show's numbers. If folks get out of the habit of listening, I doubt they all come back. Keeping listeners interested at this time of year is hard enough, but without Jones stewardship the shows falters quickly. I guess the show will pick back up and be fine, but it still seems like quite a risk to me for Jones to leave the show for two months.

I wonder if Jones' absence for that long (two months, right?) might risk some permanent damage to the show's numbers. If folks get out of the habit of listening, I doubt they all come back. Keeping listeners interested at this time of year is hard enough, but without Jones stewardship the shows falters quickly. I guess the show will pick back up and be fine, but it still seems like quite a risk to me for Jones to leave the show for two months.
It's also the best time to take off, when not much is going on. It will def pick back up with football and basketball.

Reactions: G-PIP
It's also the best time to take off, when not much is going on. It will def pick back up with football and basketball.
I agree. But don't you think taking off two months from your own show seems odd and maybe even a little careless? I guess now that he doesn't own the business it might be somewhat different for him, but to me it just gives off a vibe of possibly wanting to do something different. Obviously, that might not be the case; but it does seem unusual to me.

They were so desperate for hosts today, they let a woman on. That's never allowed when Matt is around. I find it weird how Tyler is around only when he's on vacation.

People will tune back in around football season. With that said, I use to listen to every show and have gotten out of the habit of even thinking about it being on.

My son listens to it pretty regular. He and I went to the show a couple of weeks ago at Dale Hollow. It was entertaining and pretty full considering it was literally in the middle of nowhere.

I agree. But don't you think taking off two months from your own show seems odd and maybe even a little careless? I guess now that he doesn't own the business it might be somewhat different for him, but to me it just gives off a vibe of possibly wanting to do something different. Obviously, that might not be the case; but it does seem unusual to me.
He sold the website, not the radio show. He owns the show outright.

Reactions: G-PIP and bbncal02
I was a fan of Matt Jones until he lied to the Ohio Valley Wrestling fans. He introduced a new championship belt/title "The Kentucky Heavyweight Champion" and he said "I want this belt defended from Pikeville to Paducah." They recently retired that title and I don't believe it was defended in either city.

I think it was a "mental break" for him he said. I mean, I get it. If I had the money he has I'd do it too. in a heartbeat.

He sold the website, not the radio show. He owns the show outright.
This. He sold the site, not the IP I believe. He's also stated before that he would never sell the radio show without a lot of vetting and or a succession plan to someone that would keep it going the way he wanted until he's gone from this mortal coil.

I know a lot of people don't like him because of his political views, and yes, he can be a bit over assured at times, but I believe he's a genuinely good person who's had to deal with his own struggles. I like Matt. And I have no doubt he's a Kentucky fan (despite attending Duke....which I can forgive because if Duke Law School says yes, you go).

I was a fan of Matt Jones until he lied to the Ohio Valley Wrestling fans. He introduced a new championship belt/title "The Kentucky Heavyweight Champion" and he said "I want this belt defended from Pikeville to Paducah." They recently retired that title and I don't believe it was defended in either city.
To be fair, he introduced a ton of Kentucky related stuff after he bought it that Al Snow and their wrestlers absolutely hated. Which is expected, their goal is to promote OVW and move up in the ranks, not to shill for a radio show, state, or athletics program. On the other hand, OVW needed butts in seats and this was a way to do it, along with the TV show.

As Jones has left day to day responsibilities, they’ve dropped most of what he mandated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT