ADVERTISEMENT

KSR today…..

Just curious but what makes you think anyone else would do better? For 70 years we replaced coaches and it never worked. Why is the LOD so certain we can just hire ourselves into success wi a new HC?
So why did mizzou fire Barry Odom ? Why did ole miss move on and in kiffen? Why did Louisville fire Petrino…got lucky sattrrfield left snd get to Brohm?

I could go on and on…but I choose those schools because they are a lot like UK same obstacles

I’m not on the Stoops should be fired yet…but I’ve always been on the it’s stupid we inked him thru 2031 and in no universe should have to stick wjtb Stoops if we do a five or six win season the next two years. But that is the future you pair and more importantly Mitch has put the program in this position

Would anyone support a move to the ACC?
We would compete for titles in every sport and have a great chance at the requested 9 & 10 win football seasons.
Also have a shot at the extended playoff field in some seasons.

(first part deleted)

I’m not on the Stoops should be fired yet…but I’ve always been on the it’s stupid we inked him thru 2031 and in no universe should have to stick wjtb Stoops if we do a five or six win season the next two years. But that is the future you pair and more importantly Mitch has put the program in this position
Absolutely agree. While I'm definitely not in the fire Stoops camp, this paying for 6-6 seasons has to stop. No more bonuses/extensions for non winning seasons.

We would compete for titles in every sport and have a great chance at the requested 9 & 10 win football seasons.

It's all about money.

That conference will fall apart at some point. Fsu and Clemson and NC will leave eventually. Sure the sec would gladly trade uk for fsu.

Reactions: K_TIME
Don't care what anyone says. The optics around empty or even half empty stadiums and the national media making fun of you when loss after loss piles up will send stoops out the door. Don't care how much the buyout is. This is just the university and it's lackeys (ksr) trying to control the narrative. Someone in the chain of command will be forced to make a hard decision and it may be the president himself when the fans revolt, and if it gets to this point, the AD should be held accountable.

According to the LOD its easy, just hire a new HC. I'm not defending Stoops anymore as he dug this hole with poor assistant hires but just how will a new HC make us better?
It would take an urban Meyer type hire. But you are correct. There is no magic pill that will turn Kentucky into LSU. Stoops is literally our best chance at sustained success for the foreseeable future. I am not pleased with his work these last two seasons, especially this season. He needs to right the ship in a damn hurry

Wtf. Just a few months ago there was talk of the acc not even surviving the shakeup. It’s ludicrous to even think about what you’re suggesting for so many obvious reasons

Wtf. Just a few months ago there was talk of the acc not even surviving the shakeup. It’s ludicrous to even think about what you’re suggesting for so many obvious reasons
Correct, UK isn't going anywhere. The SEC is a cash cow. And like you pointed out, the ACC isn't a safe harbor right now.

Reactions: Rockfly78
Kentucky doesn’t take kids that don‘t want to go to Ohio St or Michigan, they take them because Ohio St and Michigan don’t want them.

-Any talk of stoops being fired is stupid, unrealistic, and unproductive

Kentucky’s biggest donor is super close with stoops. He would not pay a dime toward any buyout

Correct. Stoops isn't going anywhere. I suppose internet speculation to the contrary is inevitable whenever we lose a game, but it is uninformed speculation. The reasons are so obvious that they do not need to be repeated again. They have nothing to do with NIL and nothing to do with flawed judgment on the part of the school and its management. The task of rebuilding UK football from the former era dominated by crazy boosters routinely violating NCAA rules and getting the program into compliance trouble has been a huge job. The long term direction of Stoops' program is still up, although he has hit a snag.

Kentucky cannot do what TAM did and they listed the reasons why.

Kentucky is 13 out of 14 in NIL in the SEC

What UK can or cannot do is not directly comparable to what other SEC schools do. Again, this is so obvious. KY is a small state with a small number of hs football programs and a correspondingly lower level of hs competition. Our core recruiting territory is smaller and farther north than any other SEC program. (Before someone argues that MO is technically farther north, that's irrelevant because the St. Louis-KC axis isn't farther north and MO recruits like crazy in the state of TX.) UK has a long tradition as a "basketball school" and will become stronger over time as a football school once more UK fans warm to this metamorphosis. The NIL rules are currently fluid, not settled. Eventually, they have to change. Everyone in the industry understands this. These are the challenges Mark Stoops has taken on. In the short term, he is struggling right now. But in the long term, he is succedding.

-
Expect staff changes but all coordinators are safe

Exactly. Our coordinators are entrenched, and ought to be. Zach Yenser has to be toast. The OL coaching job has been a problem since John Schlarman passed. Yenser MUST be replaced by an experienced coach who can recruit and develop SEC OL talent. Scott Woodward ought to be toast and probably is. Our receivers can't even recognize zone coverages or routinely catch passes on their numbers. I would also prefer for Frank Buffano to be replaced, but IDK about that. Any UK coach who gets fired MUST be replaced by an experienced upgrade, not by a coaching project like Yenser.

Coach at Kentucky is one of the toughest jobs in America

UK is certainly one of the two toughest SEC jobs. IDK about toughest job in the country. There are a lot of awful football schools out there. That kind of speculation has the scent of sensationalism.

The state of Kentucky has no recruiting base and cited comparisons with neighboring states.

Obviously true. Mitch Barnhart is addressing this by escalating our recruiting budget. Under the circumstances, the job Stoops' staff has done recruiting the states of OH, TN, AL, and GA has been an equalizer. Barnhart has seen to it that Vince Marrow is appropriately rewarded and retained on our staff, and that's huge.

Coen wants to focus on tempo in the offseason

Of course he does. Coen has an NFL background.

I’m gonna get hammered for bringing up KSR and I don’t care and kiss my ass. It’s the biggest sports radio show in the state and one of the biggest in the country. My favorite team is UK and that’s all they talk about. So sometimes I listen, we all do. This show in particular should be required listening for a lot of folks on here since it covers every daily topic on this board.

KSR certainly isn't "required listening". KSR is competing in a for-profit media market and their primary motivation is market share-capture through clicks and sensationalization. Those goals translate to revenue, which is the prime directive. But that doesn't mean they aren't right from time to time. Some of the above speculation will prove correct. But history has shown KSR personalities are often way wrong. Nick Roush is a Brohm cousin who worships UL and Jeff Brohm. Roush is thrilled now and can't wait for this Saturday. Matt Jones is a leftist opportunist attorney who would sell his own grandmother. However, the UK media market is so weak and ineffective that an entity boasting about presenting UK news in "the most ridiculous manner possible", and then delivering on that boast, can actually persuade a lot of people to listen. I prefer the truth, but it's hard to find in this market.

Just curious if you think 6-6 is the best we can do, then why even have a D1 program competing in the SEC? Just admit defeat and concentrate on basketball. How much interest would the basketball team have going to the NIT every year? Why are we paying a coach 9 million dollars/year for this kind of result? Could we not get the same for 2-3 million/year. I mean I seriously do not understand your rationale at all.
No one said its the best we can do. Your assumptions are baseless. Could we get a coach that is good for 6-6 for 3M per year. Sure. We're also liable to totally fall on our faces.

The one thing that irks me with you LOD guys is you ignore the very real possibility of things getting much worse. You absolutely ignore it.

We're recruiting at a solid level. We need better assistants to have that show up in the win column.

By the way, throwing out season 1 which was Jokers mess, Stoops has averaged 7 wins per season.

So why did mizzou fire Barry Odom ? Why did ole miss move on and in kiffen? Why did Louisville fire Petrino…got lucky sattrrfield left snd get to Brohm?

I could go on and on…but I choose those schools because they are a lot like UK same obstacles

Ole Miss has a large recruiting base compared to ours. Kiffin wouldn't take this job.

Reduce your payout $12M-$15M, that's the ticket.

That's called hitting the nail on the head!!!

Correct. Stoops isn't going anywhere. I suppose internet speculation to the contrary is inevitable whenever we lose a game, but it is uninformed speculation. The reasons are so obvious that they do not need to be repeated again. They have nothing to do with NIL and nothing to do with flawed judgment on the part of the school and its management. The task of rebuilding UK football from the former era dominated by crazy boosters routinely violating NCAA rules and getting the program into compliance trouble has been a huge job. The long term direction of Stoops' program is still up, although he has hit a snag.

What UK can or cannot do is not directly comparable to what other SEC schools do. Again, this is so obvious. KY is a small state with a small number of hs football programs and a correspondingly lower level of hs competition. Our core recruiting territory is smaller and farther north than any other SEC program. (Before someone argues that MO is technically farther north, that's irrelevant because the St. Louis-KC axis isn't farther north and MO recruits like crazy in the state of TX.) UK has a long tradition as a "basketball school" and will become stronger over time as a football school once more UK fans warm to this metamorphosis. The NIL rules are currently fluid, not settled. Eventually, they have to change. Everyone in the industry understands this. These are the challenges Mark Stoops has taken on. In the short term, he is struggling right now. But in the long term, he is succedding.

-

Exactly. Our coordinators are entrenched, and ought to be. Zach Yenser has to be toast. The OL coaching job has been a problem since John Schlarman passed. Yenser MUST be replaced by an experienced coach who can recruit and develop SEC OL talent. Scott Woodward ought to be toast and probably is. Our receivers can't even recognize zone coverages or routinely catch passes on their numbers. I would also prefer for Frank Buffano to be replaced, but IDK about that. Any UK coach who gets fired MUST be replaced by an experienced upgrade, not by a coaching project like Yenser.

UK is certainly one of the two toughest SEC jobs. IDK about toughest job in the country. There are a lot of awful football schools out there. That kind of speculation has the scent of sensationalism.

Obviously true. Mitch Barnhart is addressing this by escalating our recruiting budget. Under the circumstances, the job Stoops' staff has done recruiting the states of OH, TN, AL, and GA has been an equalizer. Barnhart has seen to it that Vince Marrow is appropriately rewarded and retained on our staff, and that's huge.

Of course he does. Coen has an NFL background.

KSR certainly isn't "required listening". KSR is competing in a for-profit media market and their primary motivation is market share-capture through clicks and sensationalization. Those goals translate to revenue, which is the prime directive. But that doesn't mean they aren't right from time to time. Some of the above speculation will prove correct. But history has shown KSR personalities are often way wrong. Nick Roush is a Brohm cousin who worships UL and Jeff Brohm. Roush is thrilled now and can't wait for this Saturday. Matt Jones is a leftist opportunist attorney who would sell his own grandmother. However, the UK media market is so weak and ineffective that an entity boasting about presenting UK news in "the most ridiculous manner possible", and then delivering on that boast, can actually persuade a lot of people to listen. I prefer the truth, but it's hard to find in this market.
No snag...1/2 more seasons like these last 2 and we have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. The HC needs to wake up quick and make the changes that continue to strangle his program.

Reactions: bigbluedon
No snag...1/2 more seasons like these last 2 and we have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. The HC needs to wake up quick and make the changes that continue to strangle his program.
The HC is awake. He took over a 2-9 program. Don't spread false narratives.

Stoops is the first head coach to have the same kind of support as most other SEC schools. Who knows if another coach could be more successful here? Personally, I’d like to think so. Stoops in game coaching and motivation leaves a lot to be desired. No doubt we could find a different coach who’s head and shoulders better in that aspect. If we keep supporting the program like we have with Stoops then the past is irrelevant because we have changed as a program. No more nickel and diming the football program. What happened in the past has no bearing on the future with the right support and coach. At the end of the day winners win. They don’t make excuses for losing and they overcome the obstacles in front of them. Here lately Stoops is a walking excuse and when that happens the end is inevitable. Stoops has proven you can win here but can he take us to the next level? If not it’s time to move on and try someone else. I’d rather fail trying to reach the top then be stuck in mediocrity.

Stoops is the first head coach to have the same kind of support as most other SEC schools. Who knows if another coach could be more successful here? Personally, I’d like to think so. Stoops in game coaching and motivation leaves a lot to be desired. No doubt we could find a different coach who’s head and shoulders better in that aspect. If we keep supporting the program like we have with Stoops then the past is irrelevant because we have changed as a program. No more nickel and diming the football program. What happened in the past has no bearing on the future with the right support and coach. At the end of the day winners win. They don’t make excuses for losing and they overcome the obstacles in front of them. Here lately Stoops is a walking excuse and when that happens the end is inevitable. Stoops has proven you can win here but can he take us to the next level? If not it’s time to move on and try someone else. I’d rather fail trying to reach the top then be stuck in mediocrity.
Excellent post

Good Lord, that was 11 years ago. Youre a broken record. If we arent passed the fact that 11 years ago we were 2-9, then thats on the head coach. 11 years. Not 2 years. More than a decade. Your excuses are so tired.
I make no "excuses". Don't try to make it personal. Makes you sound like an angry bloke. Our football program is having a season of regression but the long term direction is still upward. You would know that if you are an objective, experienced football observer. It has nothing to do with me.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
So, how do you think support for our football program grew? Stoops have anything to do with that happening?

I make no "excuses". Don't try to make it personal. Makes you sound like an angry bloke. Our football program is having a season of regression but the long term direction is still upward. You would know that if you are an objective, experienced football observer. It has nothing to do with me.
7-5 and 6-5 back to back is trending upward?

Of course we should never leave the SEC for a million reasons, but just for a thought experiment which of these is a more fun outcome over the next 30 years from a fan perspective 1) being a lower tier SEC team or 2) competing with and playing UofL, Cincy, WVU etc. every year.

Again I don’t want to leave the SEC and I’m not saying we’ll be lower tier for next 30 years necessarily. I just think it’d be fun to compete for conference titles or championship games and I have to accept that might never happen in my lifetime being a UK fan in the SEC.

This is a pretty ludicrous take. Most schools have big donors that donate and some big companies help but most fans don’t donate. If Nike or Adidas helps a school or two then so be it, but I would never donate any of my hard earned money to NIL so these prima Donna’s can play football. They are on scholarship and that is enough “free” right there. Nil has changed the landscape of college sports for the worse and it will never be back to the way it was. Worse thing that ever happened to college sports. Greed wins again and ruins another aspect of our society.
Your take is the most ludicrous of all. Bitching about the reality that is and lamenting for the days that will never be again.
Ok grandpa....hold your ground and keep your 5 dollar bill stuffed under your mattress while UofL fans pony up and we get our ass kicked.
Hold your ground boomer. The Model T will be coming back any day now. 🤣

Did the KSR "experts" explain why Louisville is a top 10 team? Does Louisville have recruiting advantages over UK? I'll grant that they're overrated against a weak schedule. And we might well stomp them on Saturday, but, still. Why are they a top 10 team? What about Missouri?
Money?

Ole Miss has a large recruiting base compared to ours. Kiffin wouldn't take this job.
1. Then why do we have higher rated classes then one Miss the past five years on average?
2. When kiffen was at Florida Atlantic…if offered an open Uk job….he’d have taken the job

Some of you guys making up crap is just silly. It’s ok to admit Stoops has a slipped a lot and he need to clean it up or he’s on shaky ground

I consider Kentucky the south as well.
Definitely depends on what part of the state you’re talking about. From Lexington, west of I -75 and south of I-64, it is pretty much Southern. But north of I-64 and Louisville east to the suburbs of Cincinnati is much more Midwest. And everything east of I-75 is Appalachian, which is a distinct culture unto itself.

Excellent post, but how in hell can you say he has been good at facilities development when he did NOTHING for football facilities his first DECADE here. We will never get rid of our AD, terrible AD but an excellent politician, the $60,000,000 BRIBE to get the NECESSARY $120M loan alone bought him job security until he decides to take leave to go on his foreign mission, which he said he wanted to do about fifteen years ago. Maybe by the time he reaches 85 he will leave.

Last edited:
1. Then why do we have higher rated classes then one Miss the past five years on average?
2. When kiffen was at Florida Atlantic… if offered an open Uk job….he’d have taken the job

Some of you guys making up crap is just silly. It’s ok to admit Stoops has a slipped a lot and he need to clean it up or he’s on shaky ground
All the JC football programs in Mississippi alone give them a recruiting advantage over UK.

2. When kiffen was at Florida Atlantic… if offered an open Uk job….he’d have taken the job

He isn't on shaky ground (not sure he should be with who our AD might bring in), our AD doesn't have the balls.

Your take is the most ludicrous of all. Bitching about the reality that is and lamenting for the days that will never be again.
Ok grandpa....hold your ground and keep your 5 dollar bill stuffed under your mattress while UofL fans pony up and we get our ass kicked.
Hold your ground boomer. The Model T will be coming back any day now. 🤣
I said those days are gone moron. Can u not read or comprehend or both? If u are dumb enough to donate money to watch kids play that might leave after one season because of a better offer then that is on you. There are probably way more people that aren’t donating to NIL than are donating. It is not nor should it be up to the fans to pay for players in any sport. Wise up and grow up.

Of course we should never leave the SEC for a million reasons, but just for a thought experiment which of these is a more fun outcome over the next 30 years from a fan perspective 1) being a lower tier SEC team or 2) competing with and playing UofL, Cincy, WVU etc. every year.

Again I don’t want to leave the SEC and I’m not saying we’ll be lower tier for next 30 years necessarily. I just think it’d be fun to compete for conference titles or championship games and I have to accept that might never happen in my lifetime being a UK fan in the SEC.
Don't ever worry about leaving the SEC, academia would never allow us to leave the MONEY COW.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT