ADVERTISEMENT

KSR today…..

If 4 straight seasons of 6-6 football doesn’t get stoops fired at 9 million per year then might as well shut the program down. Crowds of 25,000-30,000 will become the norm, and any amount of talent we have been bringing in will go elsewhere making it even harder to go 6-6.

It will get him a raise.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I forgot Colorado. They aren't nearly as good now as they used to be, even now with Sanders, but they've had elite teams in the 90s. Exactly what makes the state of Colorado a great recruiting base? How in the world did Kansas State consistently have good to very good teams under Snyder and, now, Kleiman? Is Kansas a high school recruiting factory? Was West Virginia known for elite high school talent when they were often around the top 10? How about U6? Yes they had Brian Brohm and Michael Bush- was the city of Louisville otherwise a talent base comparable to Florida or Georgia?
Colorado at that time hit California/Texas hard. Kansas St hit the Kansas JUCOs. Others have mentioned Oregon, haven't looked lately but a few years ago when they were really good Oregon had over 50 players on their roster from California.

U6 used Hurtt's Miami street agents.

Reactions: KYExtemper
No recruiting base? Than explain to me how Utah is where they are? they are half the population of Kentucky and 90% caucasian
The west coast is just weird Utah also plays in the shitty P12. But I really like their coach. I’d love to have him if stoops went elsewhere in a few years.

Also yes. We have no recruiting base. This isn’t really up for debate.

While I have no direct knowledge of Stoop's contract, it's my understanding that he does get raise/bonus for a 6-6 season. If that is correct, it's the first thing I would change.
Probably a bonus for being bowl eligible would be my guess.

Colorado at that time hit California/Texas hard. Kansas St hit the Kansas JUCOs. Others have mentioned Oregon, haven't looked lately but a few years ago when they were really good Oregon had over 50 players on their roster from California.

U6 used Hurtt's Miami street agents.
Fair enough. But, in other words, the Kentucky high school recruiting base is not necessarily a legitimate excuse for poor football, and I disregard KSR for making it. In the future, let's hit California/Texas hard, as Colorado did, etc. We also have the ability to get very good players from Ohio and Tennessee and Michigan. This team is not with the resources and recruiting base to easily beat Alabama or Georgia. It should absolutely be able to beat South Carolina and Missouri, etc.

I'll go a step farther. Based on results against the Power 5 when they actually had a chance to play them over the last 15 years, as well as Sagarins and their NFL quarterbackdraft picks, in general, North Dakota St. either beats UK or gives us a very good game in most recent years. North Dakota doesn't produce a great deal of high school talent, to be generous. How do they have teams that beat Iowa, etc?

Last edited:
No recruiting base? Than explain to me how Utah is where they are? they are half the population of Kentucky and 90% caucasian
I should also add that while I don’t know where Utah sits in the recruiting rankings, I do know that if you’re an elite west coast kid you’re really just picking from about 5 schools. These 5 schools swallow all the talent and are the only good teams out there year in and year out

I forgot Colorado. They aren't nearly as good now as they used to be, even now with Sanders, but they've had elite teams in the 90s. Exactly what makes the state of Colorado a great recruiting base? How in the world did Kansas State consistently have good to very good teams under Snyder and, now, Kleiman? Is Kansas a high school recruiting factory? Was West Virginia known for elite high school talent when they were often around the top 10? How about U6? Yes they had Brian Brohm and Michael Bush- was the city of Louisville otherwise a talent base comparable to Florida or Georgia?
West Virginia has around 800 wins all time and has a national title game apperance. With a decaying population.

But, but, KSR insists they don't have the "resources".
KSR is tight as hell with Stoops and Marrow. Therefore I can't take anything they say serious. Why would you get critical of your friends and risk losing access to inside sources to the program? Esp. after what happened with Cal and KSR when Matt got critical of him in 2020. When they talk about football it's like Dmitiry Peskov talking about the war in Ukraine.

Fair enough. But, in other words, the Kentucky high school recruiting base is not necessarily a legitimate excuse for poor football, and I disregard KSR for making it. In the future, let's hit California/Texas hard, as Colorado did, etc. We also have the ability to get very good players from Ohio and Tennessee and Michigan. This team is not with the resources and recruiting base to easily beat Alabama or Georgia. It should absolutely be able to beat South Carolina and Missouri, etc.
They have/are hitting Ohio, Mich, TN hard. UK, seems to me, have drawn a 300 mile circle around Lexington and that's become their "home" recruiting base. That includes Nashville, Cincy, Indy, etc. Hit Atlanta, hit Fla and hope your misses are few.

I should also add that while I don’t know where Utah sits in the recruiting rankings, I do know that if you’re an elite west coast kid you’re really just picking from about 5 schools. These 5 schools swallow all the talent and are the only good teams out there year in and year out
Nonsense. Georgia has recently poached elite West Coast talent, as in Brock Bowers. As has Tennessee. In fact, elite programs in the West like USC are aggravated because they're routinely losing the Brock Bowers of this world.

No excuses. And it's not as if Utah consistently recruits better than we do, anyway. Somehow, they're usually better. Ask your drinking buddy Matt why that is. Ask Matt about Missouri, too.

As far as recruiting, UK has killed their program for not recruiting out of Ohio since the beginning. Stoops started that, but we should be been doing it since the beginning laying foundation. Get a couple of kids that have tremendous success then you have a pipeline and relationship with coaches. WVU did it for years pulling out of PA and MD. But nah...we tried forever to go after ppl in Florida

Ksr says that Kentucky has no recruiting base compared to "neighboring states"? Not even West Virginia and Indiana? They produce Jack for football recruiting. Missouri is actually only marginally ahead of Kentucky. Same with Illinois. The only states that border Kentucky with clear cut better recruiting prospects are Ohio, Tennessee, and Virginia and we don'thave to uually compete against Virginia teams or P5 Ohio teams anyway. Not interested in excuses, especially that one. Especially when Kentucky has a better chance to get non-OSU bound Ohio talent than most other SEC teams. Especially when the UK recruiting rankings over the last five years CONSIDERABLY outmatched our performance in 2022 and 2023. Recruiting around 25th or 30th most years, performance about 50th, even with a net advantage through the portal on top of it.

False. Just as an easy example, st Louis probably has more 4*+ than all of Kentucky.

The worst part is the last 5-10 years the state started producing some really good OL but their attributes are more in line with inside zone. So what we actually have, we no longer harness.

WTH....now if you don't donate to NIL you're a meth junkie. I love college football. But I will never donate to NIL I have a family and no desire to take away from them to pay some spoiled entitled brat to play football for my favorite team. Not everyone on here is a Dr or lawyer and have disposable income. I went to college and have job as a developer in IT. So don't say I didn't try to better my financial status with hard work and education. I work hard to provide for my family not pay someone to play a game.
That is your right to not give a dime to NIL. Your money, your choice. Unfortunately for UK, most other fan bases.... including UofL....and every other program in the SEC but Vandy....don't see it your way.
Their fans are donating and we will soon become little brother in football if the trend continues.
The jokes about broke Louisville fans spending all their $$$ on Crown Royal and tats will need to stop when they keep outspending our fanbase in NIL.
We will be the broke joke then.

False. Just as an easy example, st Louis probably has more 4*+ than all of Kentucky.

The worst part is the last 5-10 years the state started producing some really good OL but their attributes are more in line with inside zone. So what we actually have, we no longer harness.
It's not false. Someone just a few days ago posted a great link with a very detailed spreadsheet comparing where all high level recruits came from over the last 5 or 10 years and the Commonwealth actually was a bit AHEAD of Missouri.

Reactions: vhcat70
It's not false. Someone just a few days ago posted a great link with a very detailed spreadsheet comparing where all high level recruits came from over the last 5 or 10 years and the Commonwealth actually was a bit AHEAD of Missouri.

5-10 years ago? What relevance does it have today?

Lb3 was a 5* from st Louis. Who in khsaa is his level? I'll wait.

5-10 years ago? What relevance does it have today?

Lb3 was a 5* from st Louis. Who in khsaa is his level? I'll wait.
I looked at the data. From 2015 to 2019, Kentucky produced more 4 and 5 star players than did Missouri. For reasons unknown, Missouri is producing more 4 and 5 talent than Kentucky is from 2020 to 2023, but it's not like comparing Kentucky to Florida, or even Ohio or Tennessee- it's more like comparing Kentucky to Indiana. Sometimes Missouri produces the player you referred to, sometimes Kentucky produces a Jedrick Wills or a Tim Couch. My point is that Kentucky and Missouri produce a comparable amount of high school elite talent over time. It's also more or less comparable in the case of both states to Oklahoma, a traditional power.

Reactions: vhcat70
Ksr says that Kentucky has no recruiting base compared to "neighboring states"? Not even West Virginia and Indiana? They produce Jack for football recruiting. Missouri is actually only marginally ahead of Kentucky. Same with Illinois. The only states that border Kentucky with clear cut better recruiting prospects are Ohio, Tennessee, and Virginia and we don'thave to uually compete against Virginia teams or P5 Ohio teams anyway. Not interested in excuses, especially that one. Especially when Kentucky has a better chance to get non-OSU bound Ohio talent than most other SEC teams. Especially when the UK recruiting rankings over the last five years CONSIDERABLY outmatched our performance in 2022 and 2023. Recruiting around 25th or 30th most years, performance about 50th, even with a net advantage through the portal on top of it.
What you are not acknowledging is that we are routinely playing SEC teams with higher recruiting results than us. If every team played a random national schedule, sure, being 25th in recruiting should result in being around 25th in rankings. But, when the teams you play in conference are all recruiting higher than you, you will perform lower than they do on average.

One could and frequently does argue that Texas and Florida aren't the south either. But Kentucky is the south (Culture, food, state's on the confederate flag, below the mason-dixon line, and ohio river, former slave state etc etc). but we are upper southern with TN and VA and NC. If you wanna say Kentucky isn't deep southern 100 percent agree. That's also the states where the best football players come from.
The places in Kentucky that do actually produce big time football players are above the Mason Dixon line. Louisville, Lexington and Northern Kentucky.

• Haha
What you are not acknowledging is that we are routinely playing SEC teams with higher recruiting results than us. If every team played a random national schedule, sure, being 25th in recruiting should result in being around 25th in rankings. But, when the teams you play in conference are all recruiting higher than you, you will perform lower than they do on average.
And what YOU are not acknowledging is that the computer rankings and the polls already your points into account, which is why James Madison isn't currently in the top 5 and why we are still well ahead of other 6 and 5 teams. Moreover, of our opponents on our schedule this year, we are well above all 4 non-conference opponents and Vanderbilt in recruiting; generally above Missouri; on par with Mississippi State and South Carolina; and not too far behind Tennessee and Florida, leaving only Georgia and Alabama with a SIGNIFICANT difference. Nor that we played them this year, but we are also right there with Ole Miss and Arkansas and recently not too far behind Auburn.

There is not much difference between 15th and 30th in the great scheme of things, anyway. Look at how many teams in legitimate conferences overachieved with these recruiting numbers, or worse, in recent years, Wisconsin, Iowa, TCU, Kansas State, Vanderbilt with Franklin, Ole Miss under Kiffin, etc, etc.

Last edited:
The places in Kentucky that do actually produce big time football players are above the Mason Dixon line. Louisville, Lexington and Northern Kentucky.
I dont think you know where the mason dixon line is so here.
Mason-dixon-linenew.png

• Haha
Reactions: Dddjdd and vhcat70
I looked at the data. From 2015 to 2019, Kentucky produced more 4 and 5 star players than did Missouri. For reasons unknown, Missouri is producing more 4 and 5 talent than Kentucky is from 2020 to 2023, but it's not like comparing Kentucky to Florida, or even Ohio or Tennessee- it's more like comparing Kentucky to Indiana. Sometimes Missouri produces the player you referred to, sometimes Kentucky produces a Jedrick Wills or a Tim Couch. My point is that Kentucky and Missouri produce a comparable amount of high school elite talent over time. It's also more or less comparable in the case of both states to Oklahoma, a traditional power.

Tim couch was class of 95 or 96. Wills was 2016 I think. Way outside the zone to consider. Fact you have to go back to couch speaks volumes. Mizzou always has high level in state guy.

Also, a dirty little secret is the rankings of nearly all of in state skill guys come with an asterisk because they don't face anyone with speed.

Our talent pool is shallow. Worse, we moved away from the system that could use them.

I
Nonsense. Georgia has recently poached elite West Coast talent, as in Brock Bowers. As has Tennessee. In fact, elite programs in the West like USC are aggravated because they're routinely losing the Brock Bowers of this world.

No excuses. And it's not as if Utah consistently recruits better than we do, anyway. Somehow, they're usually better. Ask your drinking buddy Matt why that is. Ask Matt about Missouri, too.
I love how triggered people get over a radio show host.

I did mention that the pac 12 is a shit conference so maybe that’s how Utah has success. Less obstacles in their way. I know they beat Florida this year by a much slimmer margin than we did. Don’t get me started on Missouri. They are having a very good year. They are having Kentucky’s 2018 and 2021 seasons. But Kentucky has owned them other than this year.

These “excuses” are just simple truths. I don’t like them any more than you do.

Last edited:
That is your right to not give a dime to NIL. Your money, your choice. Unfortunately for UK, most other fan bases.... including UofL....and every other program in the SEC but Vandy....don't see it your way.
Their fans are donating and we will soon become little brother in football if the trend continues.
The jokes about broke Louisville fans spending all their $$$ on Crown Royal and tats will need to stop when they keep outspending our fanbase in NIL.

And most of those programs won't win a damn thing that matters, same as pre NIL. I agree with the other poster. Fans work too hard to blindly donate money to essentially pay someone's salary.

That said, those that want to blow it are welcome to do it. The ROI is pathetic regardless but to be fair so is spending money on booze, cigs, fast food, etc.

I get being a fan at alabama or Georgia and throwing in 20 or 50 a month. You get a good ROI and win things that matter. Miss state or south Carolina? Not so much.

The same teams are winning titles that did pre NIL and that isn't changing with NIL. The 12 team playoff may provide more parity but I doubt it.

KSR is tight as hell with Stoops and Marrow. Therefore I can't take anything they say serious. Why would you get critical of your friends and risk losing access to inside sources to the program? Esp. after what happened with Cal and KSR when Matt got critical of him in 2020. When they talk about football it's like Dmitiry Peskov talking about the war in Ukraine.
I don’t think stoops and narrow would be very happy with all that was said today they basically said UK would never rise into the second tier of the SEC because they can’t.

If 4 straight seasons of 6-6 football doesn’t get stoops fired at 9 million per year then might as well shut the program down. Crowds of 25,000-30,000 will become the norm, and any amount of talent we have been bringing in will go elsewhere making it even harder to go 6-6.
Just curious but what makes you think anyone else would do better? For 70 years we replaced coaches and it never worked. Why is the LOD so certain we can just hire ourselves into success wi a new HC?

I don’t think stoops and narrow would be very happy with all that was said today they basically said UK would never rise into the second tier of the SEC because they can’t.
According to the LOD its easy, just hire a new HC. I'm not defending Stoops anymore as he dug this hole with poor assistant hires but just how will a new HC make us better?

Agree with this prediction. Three cupcakes plus Vandy = 4 wins each year. Perhaps a weakened Miss St and a much better coached U of L could lead you to 5 or 6 wins at the most in 2024. Anything north of 6 wins would be a tremendous success. All the while we play the role of the Washington Generals for Georgia and Alabama and now with Texas and Oklahoma added it only gets worse. However not much different than going and watching the Louisville Bats. Enjoy the entertainment and root for players who may very likely be picked off in the transfer portal by one of the teams mentioned above.

Yes. Kids go places now and between Mid Tn and Ohio we don’t have excuses. We also can put more money into the recruiting budget to broaden the footprint even more like ut does
NIL is the recruiting budget now imo. Stoops would still make $4M per year if he cared to win by putting the other $5M towards the NIL. Nothing stops him from taking a pay cut.

Reactions: bigbluedon
Just curious but what makes you think anyone else would do better? For 70 years we replaced coaches and it never worked. Why is the LOD so certain we can just hire ourselves into success wi a new HC?
Just curious if you think 6-6 is the best we can do, then why even have a D1 program competing in the SEC? Just admit defeat and concentrate on basketball. How much interest would the basketball team have going to the NIT every year? Why are we paying a coach 9 million dollars/year for this kind of result? Could we not get the same for 2-3 million/year. I mean I seriously do not understand your rationale at all.

Would take issue with the Kentucky football job being consider even remotely tough compared to every other gig in the conference save Vandy. That's just silly. We don't fire our coaches after 7-8 win and bowl seasons.

I'm tired of hearing about recruiting Kentucky. We all know. It's been that way for ever. The state just doesn't produce the quantity nor quality. However, that's on CMS and company to quit wasting time here and Ohio Valley region in general. Time to start hitting Texas, California, Florida, Georgia harder.

Hate to say it, and I hope I'm wrong about the kid coming in, but 4 star Lexington Catholic QBs and most other positions wouldn't sniff the field in Texas and Florida whereas a 3-star role player from a Texas school would be a 4-5 star here in Kentucky.

Football in those states from pee wee through high school is just different. Coaching, development, and level of competition are all better than Ohio, Kentucky, and essentially every other state. Kentucky and Ohio don't really have the Juco college system either which is somewhat of a factor.

This is a pretty ludicrous take. Most schools have big donors that donate and some big companies help but most fans don’t donate. If Nike or Adidas helps a school or two then so be it, but I would never donate any of my hard earned money to NIL so these prima Donna’s can play football. They are on scholarship and that is enough “free” right there. Nil has changed the landscape of college sports for the worse and it will never be back to the way it was. Worse thing that ever happened to college sports. Greed wins again and ruins another aspect of our society.

Reactions: gojvc and K_TIME
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT