ADVERTISEMENT

KSR post game: Comment about Brad...

NO he’s un athletic will never be able to defend at this level. He can’t even hit his shots. Cal barking up wrong tree to give brad significant minute with scholarships left on the table.
I think Cal has to leave a couple of open scholarships when he doesn't have any idea who may leave this year. Diallo is probably gone for sure. I think Shai will go too, but after that it is anyone's guess!
Brad will more that likely get less playing time next year than this year!

Baker is hurt, Green is hurt, Diallo was in foul trouble, Gilgeous-Alexander was on the floor...if you expect your 5th guard to be a 5 star, you really need to keep your opinion to yourself because it's not worth much. I'm glad Brad was there to give us some minutes when we needed them. Geez, we have some ignorant fans.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
giphy.gif

When has / how does Brad C act “entitled?”

Brad seems like a good kid, never a problem, doesnt act like hes entitled to anything, and fits in well...but...I'm not sure he's even better than the other walkons. David and Pulliam seem way more athletic and sure of themselves. I just dont know. And I hated the Saul Smith situation....that was terrible..Tubby, it seemed to me, actually manufactured a situation(Hawk's "asthma"...)that got Saul significant minutes for a long time. It was ridiculous. But comparing the playets, imo Saul was way better overall than Brad at this point. The difference is Brad gets the occasional minutes and Tubby had Saul starting at times. Hell GG Smith was way better than Saul the year he played at UK.
GG Smith played at UK? I missed that year

A guy called in and said that he thought Brad Calipari was going to be a really good player next year. Do you guys agree? I strongly disagree.
No. Nice kid. He couldn’t guard me. Was it a UL fan or his mom pretending to be a man?

One player came to mind I think Josh Carrier, he never missed in warm ups but could never make them in a game.

I'm sorry, but it's silly to compare Brad to even someone like Josh Carrier.

As disappointing as he was, Carrier at least was a legit D1 prospect. He was the Kentucky Mr. Basketball, a UK scholarship player, and he could've had scholarships at other schools if he'd not gone to UK.

Brad, on the other hand, is not in any way a legit D1 player, and has shown NO discernible skill for this level at all--he misses every shot he attempts (I don't care about unguarded warmups), has no apparent ballhandling skills (does he ever dribble the ball more than once at a time?), no noteworthy passing skills, can't defend, can't run, can't jump, can't do anything worthwhile that I've noticed.

If he didn't go to UK, Carrier still would've been a decent mid-major player at some lower tier D1 program. But if his last name wasn't Calipari, Brad would likely be at the NAIA level or just another frat boy playing intramurals.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheOtherGreatOne

As disappointing as he was, Carrier at least was a legit D1 prospect. He was the Kentucky Mr. Basketball, a UK scholarship player, and he could've had scholarships at plenty other places if he'd not chosen UK.

Brad, on the other hand, is not in any way a legit D1 player, and has shown no discernible skill for this level at all--he misses every shot he attempts (and, no, I don't care how he shoots in unguarded warmups), has no apparent ballhandling skills (does he ever dribble the ball more than once at a time?), no noteworthy passing skills, can't defend, can't run, can't jump, can't do anything worthwhile that I've noticed.

If he didn't go to UK, Carrier still would've been a decent mid-major player at some lower tier D1 program. But if his last name wasn't Calipari, Brad would likely be at the NAIA level or just another frat boy playing intramurals.
I don't think he could even play at an NAIA school.

As disappointing as he was, Carrier at least was a legit D1 prospect. He was the Kentucky Mr. Basketball, a UK scholarship player, and he could've had scholarships at other schools if he'd not gone to UK.

Brad, on the other hand, is not in any way a legit D1 player, and has shown NO discernible skill for this level at all--he misses every shot he attempts (I don't care about unguarded warmups), has no apparent ballhandling skills (does he ever dribble the ball more than once at a time?), no noteworthy passing skills, can't defend, can't run, can't jump, can't do anything worthwhile that I've noticed.

You are missing my point. I was only comparing during warmups, before games. If you have gone to games and watch them warm up Brad hardly ever misses. I also remember Carrier would be them same way. That's all I was saying. So your response has nothing to do with what I was trying to say.

Are people really trying to compare Saul and Brads situations?

I was no Saul fan at all, but he was a "decent" basketball player and would be possibly the best on ball defender on this team. I still think he would have been best suited in another uniform though, for him and us.

Brad isn't any better than an average high school player, but it's kept his dad here so I'm cool with it.

Seems like right now its just a psychology thing. He's a really good shooter. Think once he finally makes his first one the pressure goes away and can just play without over thinking

Brad seems like a good kid, never a problem, doesnt act like hes entitled to anything, and fits in well...but...I'm not sure he's even better than the other walkons. David and Pulliam seem way more athletic and sure of themselves. I just dont know. And I hated the Saul Smith situation....that was terrible..Tubby, it seemed to me, actually manufactured a situation(Hawk's "asthma"...)that got Saul significant minutes for a long time. It was ridiculous. But comparing the playets, imo Saul was way better overall than Brad at this point. The difference is Brad gets the occasional minutes and Tubby had Saul starting at times. Hell GG Smith was way better than Saul the year he played at UK.

I can't1 believe I'm talking about Saul. The difference is Cal accepted Brad as a walk-on and is paying his way. Tubby had Saul on Scholarship 4 years and could and should and have paid his way, he had the money. Brad is very short but he filled in fine. We only had 2 guards and he just played a couple of minutes.

I can’t imagine growing up as the son of John Calipari. That has to be tough on some levels.

My father was a wife beating drunk, so it didn’t take much for me to be better than him, but no matter what Brad does, he’s always going to be Cals son.

A guy called in and said that he thought Brad Calipari was going to be a really good player next year. Do you guys agree? I strongly disagree.
Most overrated shooter since Josh Carrier. Kid must fill it up in practice because he can't finish his signature in game action.

Cal needs to fill the schollies with some decent players that can contribute. There are plenty out there.
Huh? we have what 11 on schollies - Tai, JV , Green, Baker, Shai,PJ , Diallo, Knox , SKJ , Gabriel, Richards . YOu always one to keep one schollie open so at most we could have one more guy. A very thin thing to complain about . We have a ton of depth when healthly .

Most overrated shooter since Josh Carrier. Kid must fill it up in practice because he can't finish his signature in game action.
You know how hard it is to come in cold and have the whole crowd yelling at you to shoot? He is the best shooter I have ever seen at UK in warm ups and in drills. But to be expected to do that , especially since he lacks the altheticism needed to get open is beyond silly. Carrier was a top 100 recruit. Calipari was a D2 recruit who came to play for his dad- apples and oranges.

I don't think Brads minute or two cost us the game, did it? Obviously, Cal tossed him in there because he had to. He wasn't trying to develop the kid for an end of year run. Calm down peeps.

Two people know for sure he will never be a major contributor for UK on the court. Brad and Coach Cal. Brad didn't walk on thinking he would make a living playing the sport professionally. But he may be able to make a living coaching if he wants to enter that profession. And why not learn the game at the best basketball program in America?

I am thankful Brad chose to stay in Lexington. My only problem is he does not claim Lexington as his home. He is always listed as being from New Jersey. Nothing against New Jersey but if my parents lived in Lexington and that is where I live and have lived, why would I say I am from New Jersey.

We all want a Kentucky player on the roster and even when we have one he doesn't claim Kentucky as his home. If he is a resident of New Jersey then claim it but if his home residence is Kentucky and he has a Kentucky drivers license, claim it. We need Kentucky players.
I agree except for wanting a KY player on the roster. I can't seem to find one reason I should care where someone is from as long as they can play ball.

It is silly to even discuss if the kid deserves to be on the court based on basketball reasons. However IMO Cal has earned the right to have his son on the team. That is a special time they can share. In no way has Brad himself earned being on the UK basketball team. It was indeed given to him. But Dad has earned it.

It is silly to even discuss if the kid deserves to be on the court based on basketball reasons. However IMO Cal has earned the right to have his son on the team. That is a special time they can share. In no way has Brad himself earned being on the UK basketball team. It was indeed given to him. But Dad has earned it.
Spot on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT