ADVERTISEMENT

Knox's father speaks on visits

Cal also compared Knox to Antetokounmpo, quite a shift from the Monk comparisons a few months ago. Seems kinda desperate to me. I hope it works.

Think Vando plays more like the Greek Freak, but Knox certainly has that potential, and with a shooting edge. "Positionless" basketball is a real possibility if he commits. Can you imagine a lineup with Diallo, Knox, Vanderbilt, Washington, and Bam? Every single player on the floor is one switch away from a mismatch. Crazy potential.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Cal seems desperate recruiting? Ok.
No one said he is desperate in regards to recruiting in general. I was very specific in talking about Knox. Stick to what I actually said. Thanks.

He has compared Knox to Malik Monk and freaking Giannis Antetokounmpo, come on man. You can be a UK fan and still find that ridiculous and hilarious. Whatever works though. Still funny.

Reactions: Aike
"Hi, my name is Hamidou Diallo and I already play two-guard at Kentucky"

Knox would be a wing player you would run off of picks and depend on to knock down shots.

Diallo more of a slasher.

Diallo would be more likely to guard the smaller, quicker opponent.

Like Smashcat said, doesn't matter whether you call them 2s or 3s. They are wings.

No one said he is desperate in regards to recruiting in general. I was very specific in talking about Knox. Stick to what I actually said. Thanks.

I don't recall discussing anything other than this instance.

And since it was 4 minutes ago, I would probably remember that.

Saying Cal sounds desperate when it comes to any recruit is incredibly foolish.

And he's been pitching Knox this way for a long time. Cal been desperate all along?

He has compared Knox to Malik Monk and freaking Giannis Antetokounmpo, come on man. You can be a UK fan and still find that ridiculous and hilarious. Whatever works though. Still funny.

Hey man, if you want to laugh about it, all good. But I don't think Cal and desperate ever belong in the same sentence in regard to recruiting.

Greedy maybe. Not desperate.

We all try to place these kids in a certain spot or position. I think the whole concept of positionless lineups does away with all that for the most part.

Knox can shoot from outside and can handle the ball and defend on the perimeter so he'll be playing on the wing. Same applies to Cam Johnson who's just an inch or two shorter, if that.

I don't recall discussing anything other than this instance.

And since it was 4 minutes ago, I would probably remember that.

Saying Cal sounds desperate when it comes to any recruit is incredibly foolish.

And he's been pitching Knox this way for a long time. Cal been desperate all along?
Have you watched Malik Monk and Giannis play? Completely different players. You can't compare 1 player to 2 players that are completely different. The Giannis pitch is new, not something he's been doing all along. It's a desperate recruiting pitch. Same with FSU telling him he can be their Carmelo Anthony. Im sure most of the schools are throwing desperate pitches to him at this point.

We all try to place these kids in a certain spot or position. I think the whole concept of positionless lineups does away with all that for the most part.

Knox can shoot from outside and can handle the ball and defend on the perimeter so he'll be playing on the wing. Same applies to Cam Johnson who's just an inch or two shorter, if that.

It really comes down to having a loaded roster and trying to stretch the vision of Knox so that he can see himself fitting in instead of feeling crowded.

Cal wants everybody and he wants the other teams to come up empty.

Hey man, if you want to laugh about it, all good. But I don't think Cal and desperate ever belong in the same sentence in regard to recruiting.

Well that's not true. When Kentucky lost Zimmerman, Brown, Ingram, Swanigan etc those were desperate times and left Kentucky scrambling. Doesn't take away from how great his recruiting has been. Sometimes you have to get desperate with a recruit you don't have a great chance with.

Have you watched Malik Monk and Giannis play? Completely different players. You can't compare 1 player to 2 players that are completely different. The Giannis pitch is new, not something he's been doing all along. It's a desperate recruiting pitch. Same with FSU telling him he can be their Carmelo Anthony. Im sure most of the schools are throwing desperate pitches to him at this point.

Cal never compared Monk and Knox as players only that Knox would play in the role of Monk.

He's been selling him as a 2 for a long time. Earlier he was showing him that he would use him like he used Murray and Monk.

As we've added more pieces, seems Cal is getting more creative in his approach.

I just took issue with the characterization as "desperate."

I think Cal wants a player that he really doesn't "need" at this point. He is greedy.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Well that's not true. When Kentucky lost Zimmerman, Brown, Ingram, Swanigan etc those were desperate times and left Kentucky scrambling. Doesn't take away from how great his recruiting has been. Sometimes you have to get desperate with a recruit you don't have a great chance with.

We will just have to disagree on this.

Other coaches become desperate trying to keep up with Cal when it comes to recruiting. You can use Cal,desperate and recruiting in the same sentence:D

I guess it depends on what you see of Knox, now, or what Cal thinks he can transform him into.

You always take a player that good, but I honestly don't where he plays or loses their playing time if he comes. We already have Diallo, Alexander, Vandy, Washington, Gabriel, and SKJ to split the 2/3/4 minutes.

What’s desperate about it? Desperate would be hiring Knox’s father as an assistant coach or telling Knox he’ll start. Desperate would be promising him 15 to 20 shots/game, or the "keys to the car" as Hamilton has done at FSU. Desperate would be talking down the other schools on Knox’s list as Capel routinely does at Duke.

Cal is simply trying to sell Knox on a role within the current body of next year’s roster – a roster that already has multiple forwards. Should Cal have told Knox, “I think you’re a pure three, with little to no chance of ever handling the ball in a backcourt role or playing alongside Vanderbilt and Washington at the same time?”

Last edited:
I guess it depends on what you see of Knox, now, or what Cal thinks he can transform him into.

True.

Cal didn't lure guys like Davis and Randle to Kentucky by telling them they'd be playing exclusively in the paint. Part of his "positionless" theme is to play the best players, regardless of positions. It's why he played a 6'3" guard at the 3 last year, and why he played a 6'10" Lyles at the 3 in 2015.

He's been selling him as a 2 for a long time. Earlier he was showing him that he would use him like he used Murray and Monk.

As we've added more pieces, seems Cal is getting more creative in his approach.

I just took issue with the characterization as "desperate."

I think Cal wants a player that he really doesn't "need" at this point. He is greedy.

What's interesting is that some have little to no concern about a 6'8" Cameron Johnson playing the 2 (for stretches of the game, anyway), but for a 6'8" Kevin Knox, who has comparable perimeter skills to Johnson, it's suddenly a bizarre pitch?

Calipari called Wenyan Gabriel a 6'9" guard before he arrived at UK. Let the kid dream during the process, and then leave it up to them whether or not they can actually perform at their desired position. It's not deception when Cal simultaneously tells them, "Now, you may not even play if you don't work." Kids have to contrast their own potential with what Kentucky will actually require. I think it's clear Cal isn't promising jack squat to any of them.

Last edited:

Dating back to Memphis, that's one time in the last 12 years where Cal had to scramble on the recruiting trail. He still ended up with five top 40 recruits in the class of '15 while retaining three McDonald's All-Americans from the year before and cleaning up the recruiting mess in the wake of the "platoon" disaster (at least from a recruiting perspective). Most of the guys he missed on - Newman, Diallo, Zimmerman, Bragg, Blakeney, etc. - hardly proved Cal's pitch wrong as most of them went on to fade into oblivion.

He still ended up with the #1 class that year, too, which is telling. If that's scrambling (three top 15 guys, two top 10 guys, and 5 top 40 guys overall), I can certainly roll with that.

I think Cal listens to the kids and they tell him I feel like I am this type of player and Cal says so you can come in and be this here and u see how so n so did for us. Ok yeah we can work with that and help you just like him. Well they get here and guess what well you can play 2 guard here when you show me your as good as a college 2 guard you give him his chance then u say now let us show you how you become that til then we are going to put you where you most benefit the team and have the scouts tell u where they see u. Which is I believe the big reason for the pro days we have. Towns thought he was gonna play outside as well even heard that about Randal and we all know how Davis was a guard most of hs.

C. Martin only has one pitch when recruiting against Cal. He says if you go to UK you're just one of a number of good players. Be unique, come play at Missouri where you'll stick out & be adored by fans since your not just another 5star recruit.

And I'm serious! That's his pitch. It was his pitch to Jaylen Brown & it's his pitch to Knox. Porter even said thats his pitch to Knox on national TV. Why would anyone seriously fall for that?

It sounds like father is in love with Missouri. I'm still laughing at porter juniors comment about winning the national title, but he made sure to preface it with; call me crazy lol

Positions only truly matter on defense.

In Cal's system, everybody switches, so you defend every position.

So he better be able to defend the 2, because he will have to on switches. So will Washington. So will Vanderbilt. So will Bamba, if he comes.

Some people seem to think this is like grade school ball where your coach lines you up across from the other team and points and says, "that's who you guard." Doesn't work that way at this level.

Reactions: Dablueman
You are desperately pushing this desperate thing, it seems rather, desperate.

Reactions: TeoJ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT