ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Ollie hired to coach new "professional league" for 16-18 year olds

Mojocat

All-American
Jan 29, 2003

Former UConn Huskies coach and 13-year NBA veteran Kevin Ollie has been hired as head coach and director of player development for the Overtime Elite, a new professional basketball league for top prospects between 16 and 18 years old.

Just the latest indication of the seismic shift that is occurring in/to college basketball. A professional league for high school sophomores (maybe freshmen?). The thinking on this stuff has so completely evolved in the last decade....maybe we should have seen this coming. The analogy that comes to mind is tennis - the top 1/2 of the top 1% in that sport, those kids don't have a normal childhood. They grow up in some academy and then turn pro at 13, or whatever. They have a particular skill that is worth a lot of money, and they want to start getting paid as early as possible. So too basketball players. Back when things were simpler (when I was a kid, Joe B Hall made, I think, $300,000 to coach at Kentucky - well paid, but not enough that it made people scream or even think that kids were being exploited) a Michael Jordan or Ralph Sampson were content to play in college 3-4 years and wait until they were 22 to get paid. Obviously those days are gone. I was thinking if the NIL mess gets straightened out, then that top percentage of kids could get placated that way, and maybe the college game could retain intact. I see now that's foolish - if kids are wanting to get paid starting at 16, and people are willing to set up a system to accommodate that, then college hoops as we've known it cannot last.

16 year old professional basketball players? What are they thinking? They are just young kids yet and should not be put in these types of positions in life at such an early age. Unbelievable. I, too, hope these fails big time. We are stealing their youth from them and selfish parents are very guilty in this type of thing.

Im gonna go ahead and guarantee this is a flop
I think so as well, you have the NCAA, and the G league competing as well. Let’s say the NCAA gets its head out of its arse and allows likeness compensation plus a stipend of a nice amount for athletes who can get it.

This league will have to produce revenue good enough to compensate coaches like Ollie, get venues to host games, advertising, insurance. Salaries, etc..

I would say the top tier players will want to play G league, then the rest will probably want to go to the established NCAA where marketability is far greater and they have had a relationship with the NBA for decades.

We have seen firsthand how bad players like Boston end up and he was a top 5 talent according to most major services and would be a player high on the radar to take a deal. Not a great product with 16 year old super raw talents playing IMO.

Reactions: TM2013
This kind of thing is relatively new for this country, but there are models for this in other countries. Soccer has a lot of them throughout the world.

I cant believe Kevin Ollie won a national championship over the cats. Hes a terrible coach. Funnily enough if Cal wins that championship (or 2015) he'd probably have a lot more leash with the fans.

Oh this is guaranteed to fail. Just a matter of how many kids' lives will it ruin during it's short lifespan

Former UConn Huskies coach and 13-year NBA veteran Kevin Ollie has been hired as head coach and director of player development for the Overtime Elite, a new professional basketball league for top prospects between 16 and 18 years old.

Just the latest indication of the seismic shift that is occurring in/to college basketball. A professional league for high school sophomores (maybe freshmen?). The thinking on this stuff has so completely evolved in the last decade....maybe we should have seen this coming. The analogy that comes to mind is tennis - the top 1/2 of the top 1% in that sport, those kids don't have a normal childhood. They grow up in some academy and then turn pro at 13, or whatever. They have a particular skill that is worth a lot of money, and they want to start getting paid as early as possible. So too basketball players. Back when things were simpler (when I was a kid, Joe B Hall made, I think, $300,000 to coach at Kentucky - well paid, but not enough that it made people scream or even think that kids were being exploited) a Michael Jordan or Ralph Sampson were content to play in college 3-4 years and wait until they were 22 to get paid. Obviously those days are gone. I was thinking if the NIL mess gets straightened out, then that top percentage of kids could get placated that way, and maybe the college game could retain intact. I see now that's foolish - if kids are wanting to get paid starting at 16, and people are willing to set up a system to accommodate that, then college hoops as we've known it cannot last.
300,000 in 75 is equivalent to 1.5 million now. Still a nice chunk of change

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT