ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky-Wofford 2019

FurdTerguson

Sophomore
Jan 9, 2009

Really good game. PJ came back from injury the next week to beat Houston. Then the Auburn screw job.

I remember some particular screw jobs by officials, but I don’t remember this one that way.

Auburn screw job? Isn't that the game where we missed a ton of free throws and Hagans decided to keep throwing the ball to the other team?
We screwed ourselves.
You don't remember Auburn getting 9+ minutes of fouling immunity at the end of regulation to even get to OT??

That one ranks up there with Roofer Pooper two years prior

You don't remember Auburn getting 9+ minutes of fouling immunity at the end of regulation to even get to OT??

Yeah, I remember that, but we did more damage to ourselves than the refs did.

For the 2nd year in a row, PJ Washington made a fool out of himself from the free throw line, if he shoots even 60%, the game never goes to overtime.

But having said that, Hagans was even worse. It was as if Bruce Pearl was paying Hagans to throw the game.

I get it, we like to blame the refs, but the only games I really agree the refs screwed us, were the 2017 uNC game and the 2011 FF game against UConn. Both by the same ref.

Yeah, I remember that, but we did more damage to ourselves than the refs did.

For the 2nd year in a row, PJ Washington made a fool out of himself from the free throw line, if he shoots even 60%, the game never goes to overtime.

But having said that, Hagans was even worse. It was as if Bruce Pearl was paying Hagans to throw the game.

I get it, we like to blame the refs, but the only games I really agree the refs screwed us, were the 2017 uNC game and the 2011 FF game against UConn. Both by the same ref.

We got screwed in 2015; there's no debating that. Had the exact same PITA called the proper shot clock violation on Whisky. We probably win that game.

And Auburn was a screw job in the second half. They went half the 2nd Half without a single foul. Not one.

Yes, we screwed the pooch too. And yes, a chunk of that is Cal's fault. Completely. But you shouldn't have to beat 8-5 nearly as much as we have to.

College officials love crooked coaches for some reason. I guess they relate well.

Our backcourt of Herro and Hagans got abused by auburns that game.

I was so confident we were going to win that game. We dominated them during the regular season. And they were missing the guy that had been their star during the tournament.

Can you blame the refs and also believe we still should have one? That’s about how i feel. I’m pissed at the officiating, pissed at Cal, pissed at Hagans and pissed at Herro. Not too upset at PJ because he was still far and away the best player on the court that day.

We got screwed in 2015; there's no debating that. Had the exact same PITA called the proper shot clock violation on Whisky. We probably win that game.

And Auburn was a screw job in the second half. They went half the 2nd Half without a single foul. Not one.

Yes, we screwed the pooch too. And yes, a chunk of that is Cal's fault. Completely. But you shouldn't have to beat 8-5 nearly as much as we have to.

The shot clock violation was huge because it would have finally been something that went UKs way down the stretch. Maybe UK comes down and hits a 3 and holds on if that easy a blind man can call it call had been made.

And auburn definitely was allowed to hack at will last 10 minutes. That throws your offense off. You can't run anything really because you are gonna get hacked with no call.

Yup.🤬

Kentucky could not stop Auburn's guards. It was crazy considering a team with Hagans couldn't guard multiple guards under 5'9 from getting to the lane.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Admittedly, my memory is bad. But, I remember that we were up comfortably in the second half of the Auburn tourney game. And then, I remember saying repeatedly that fouls called at one end (on UK) were not called on the other end (Aub)...to the point that I was screaming at the officiating.

All that say "if we would have hit free throws" or "if Hagans were a better defender", doesn't take away from the fact that ,for half of the second half, a team that plays aggressive man-man full court defense were allowed to hand-check and push without a whistle blowing. That definitely affected the outcome of the game.

If we had hit more free throws..
If we had stayed in front of the guards without fouling...
If the corrupt NCAA officials weren't so blatantly corrupt...
If the midget guards had missed one of the several half court shots that were made down the stretch...

On and on.

Reactions: Titpwhami2014

Really good game. PJ came back from injury the next week to beat Houston. Then the Auburn screw job.
I remember the defensive job that Herro did on Fletcher Magee. Magee had essentially been lighting everyone up throughout the season, and he went 0-12 from three against UK. Herro was amazing defensively in this game.

Admittedly, my memory is bad. But, I remember that we were up comfortably in the second half of the Auburn tourney game. And then, I remember saying repeatedly that fouls called at one end (on UK) were not called on the other end (Aub)...to the point that I was screaming at the officiating.

All that say "if we would have hit free throws" or "if Hagans were a better defender", doesn't take away from the fact that ,for half of the second half, a team that plays aggressive man-man full court defense were allowed to hand-check and push without a whistle blowing. That definitely affected the outcome of the game.

If we had hit more free throws..
If we had stayed in front of the guards without fouling...
If the corrupt NCAA officials weren't so blatantly corrupt...
If the midget guards had missed one of the several half court shots that were made down the stretch...

On and on.

We were up big n first half. By halftime they had caught up and we were actually down 6 with 6 to play and had to rally to get to OT. We did have a shot to win n regulation though. The officiating definitely played a role.

Reactions: bbncal02
I can’t believe anyone would have wanted more fouls called in that Auburn game. We shot 57% from the line. Missed FTs kept Auburn in the game.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Final four in 2017 and 2019 and the whole conversation is different. Elite 8's are thankless for sure.

Final four in 2017 and 2019 and the whole conversation is different. Elite 8's are thankless for sure.

100% disagree for me. It would still be 11 years without a title and honestly the law of averages got UK in 2017 and 2019. 4 final fours n 10 years was great regardless and perhaps if calipari leaves in 2019 for ucla and made a final four in 2019 instead of say 2011 his time here is remembered fondly due to it being spread out more.

Last 3 years have been awful overall and don't think another non title year or two makes a difference overall.

I can’t believe anyone would have wanted more fouls called in that Auburn game. We shot 57% from the line. Missed FTs kept Auburn in the game.
that's the problem. It was foul city in the first half on both teams. Then about mid mark through the 2nd the whistles got VERY quiet on one end of the court.

We were up big n first half. By halftime they had caught up and we were actually down 6 with 6 to play and had to rally to get to OT. We did have a shot to win n regulation though. The officiating definitely played a role.
And it never fails. Bad officiating against a bad team is annoying, but bad officiating in the E8 and FF is CRIMINAL. If you make it that far you are playing a good team. Regardless. They don't need help.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz

Yeah, the missed shot clock in 2015 was bad, but again, we did more damage to ourselves by taking the air out of the ball.

2019 Auburn, yeah, Auburn went a long time without picking up a foul, but I feel like we beat.ourselves by making bad mistakes and missing free throws. I never got the feeling the refs were intentionally screwing us, but it can.ge argued they did.

Kentucky could not stop Auburn's guards. It was crazy considering a team with Hagans couldn't guard multiple guards under 5'9 from getting to the lane.
Seems like Hagans lost his legs, he was on his heels and noticeably worn out.

Yeah, the missed shot clock in 2015 was bad, but again, we did more damage to ourselves by taking the air out of the ball.

2019 Auburn, yeah, Auburn went a long time without picking up a foul, but I feel like we beat.ourselves by making bad mistakes and missing free throws. I never got the feeling the refs were intentionally screwing us, but it can.ge argued they did.
Again, both things can be true at the same time. We could have absolutely played better at times in both games. But man, you shouldn't have to be perfect in every game; and that's what 8-5 certainly does.

I'm not sure if the AU game was intentional, but it was certainly ridiculous. The crowd seemed to be against us for sure, and maybe the refs bought into that (which they shouldn't do....ever). Or maybe one of them had money on that game, which I have NO doubts that happens.

So you were cool with that whistle we got? Ok.....

Every loss can be pointed to "well, if we had done this or that"

But that was up in the Top 5 of questionable officiating for sure. And for it to occur in one of College Bball's last 6 games is ridiculous.

I mean I would have to go back and watch the game as I don't exactly remember anything glaring.

I do remember calls in games where I've been super pissed- '11 UConn, '14 UConn, '15 Wisconsin, '17 UNC....this one doesn't stick out like those to me.

When I look at it on paper I agree with Jeff.

Ashton had 7 TO's. We shot 12/21 FT. We shot 5/21 from 3. Shot

Also, we committed 2 less fouls than Auburn for the game...they took 3 more FT's.

Not saying you are wrong but I guess what I am saying I don't remember the game for bad officiating, that's all.

Won't win many EE games when you can't make a FT or 3 and your PG is handing out TO's like it is Halloween candy.

Reactions: Ron Mehico

Everyone talks about the missed shot clock, no one brings up the free basket in the first half when the freshman guard illegally regained possession then scored. It was plain as day. Rex and Dave Baker were all over it.

Again, both things can be true at the same time. We could have absolutely played better at times in both games. But man, you shouldn't have to be perfect in every game; and that's what 8-5 certainly does.

I'm not sure if the AU game was intentional, but it was certainly ridiculous. The crowd seemed to be against us for sure, and maybe the refs bought into that (which they shouldn't do....ever). Or maybe one of them had money on that game, which I have NO doubts that happens.
Of course the refs were influenced by the crowd, but we allowed it to happen. We missed free throws in regulation and we threw the ball away time and time again. We allowed the refs to screw us.

We didn't have to be perfect, but damn, as was stated, we shot 57% from the free throw line and when you're talking about a game that went to overtime, that means 1 more made free throw wins us the game in regulation. We missed 9 free throws (some were front ends) and only scored 25 total points in the 2nd half. 25 points. That's John Calipari's stagnant ass offense for ya.

We beat ourselves, we gave the refs a chance to screw us and they did.

I mean I would have to go back and watch the game as I don't exactly remember anything glaring.

I do remember calls in games where I've been super pissed- '11 UConn, '14 UConn, '15 Wisconsin, '17 UNC....this one doesn't stick out like those to me.

Also, we committed 2 less fouls than Auburn for the game...they took 3 more FT's.

Not saying you are wrong but I guess what I am saying I don't remember the game for bad officiating, that's all.

Won't win many EE games when you can't make a FT or 3 and your PG is handing out TO's like it is Halloween candy.
7 turnovers from your lead guard… you ain't beating anybody with that stat.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Of course the refs were influenced by the crowd, but we allowed it to happen. We missed free throws in regulation and we threw the ball away time and time again. We allowed the refs to screw us.

We didn't have to be perfect, but damn, as was stated, we shot 57% from the free throw line and when you're talking about a game that went to overtime, that means 1 more made free throw wins us the game in regulation. We missed 9 free throws (some were front ends) and only scored 25 total points in the 2nd half. 25 points. That's John Calipari's stagnant ass offense for ya.

We beat ourselves, we gave the refs a chance to screw us and they did.
Don't get me wrong. We're all used to Cal stall ball and are tired of it. But man, I'm so sick of seeing bad officiating. Like, I get it, refs are human. They will miss a call. But it's too coincidental (and I rarely believe in coinkydinks) that it keeps happening to us. I can't count how many times we've had to beat 8-5. Just tired of being the only blue blood that gets bent over.

The fouls were even, but it was only because they went silent for AU that last portion of the game. It wasn't insanely obvious at the time (like the 2017 UNC hosing) , but you could tell how different the game was being called.

Don't get me wrong. We're all used to Cal stall ball and are tired of it. But man, I'm so sick of seeing bad officiating. Like, I get it, refs are human. They will miss a call. But it's too coincidental (and I rarely believe in coinkydinks) that it keeps happening to us. I can't count how many times we've had to beat 8-5. Just tired of being the only blue blood that gets bent over.
With the talent and size Cal has had, he should never be in a position where the refs get a chance to screw us over, especially when the opponent is down their best player.

Been a UK fan for decades. The only NCAA tournament game that I remember us getting screwed in was the John Higgins game in 2017.
Lost this final 4 game by a point. This wasn't the only bad call either. Extra points awarded if you can name that ref.
John-Higgins.gif

How many games have been lost under Cal's watch due to FTs. He's said he doesn't have the team practice FTs.

Nope. I clearly remember Auburn just flatout playing great ball at that point, while Cal and the team pissed down their leg. Classic Cal ball. He's all swagger until the second half starts.

Nope. I clearly remember Auburn just flatout playing great ball at that point, while Cal and the team pissed down their leg. Classic Cal ball. He's all swagger until the second half starts.
Unfortunately this is how I remember it as well. Out coached big time in the 2nd half.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT