ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky vs. Alabama - Game 2

DubyaT

Junior
Gold Member
Jan 6, 2003
Per the following lineup from UK Baseball's Twitter account, it looks like a major shuffling of the lineup today. Most notable change is Gei replacing Collett as the DH.

Wildcats badly need to win this one to put themselves in a position to win the series.

UK has left 3 on base through the top of the third. 0-0 heading to the bottom of the third.

The Cats have pitched well enough so far to win the series. The lack of hitting is puzzling considering the opponent. How can today not be considered a must win since they would fall to 2-6 in the conference if they lost?

It’s amazing how much the Cats SPs have been squeezed in these SEC road games. I never really thought umpires posed that big of a home/road advantage in the past, but they sure have this season to date.

Haake has done a nice job of overcoming it so far.

Scoreless through 5 complete. Haake has been efficient overall today. Talented kid. But has walked at least one batter every single inning (including some head scratchers where he has walked batters on 4 or 5 pitches with two outs). In spite of those walks, he's sitting on about 67 pitches through the 5th.

Becker gets an infield single in the top of the 6th, but Pompey then lines out to right and Squires K's looking. UK is struggling mightily at the plate today.

So what's the story with Gei replacing Collett?

Don't know, but Collett certainly hasn't been lighting things on fire recently and Mingione was bragging on Gei's hitting recently. Still, with Gei not looking particularly comfortable today thus far, have to wonder if Collett might get a PH opportunity next time that spot in the line-up comes up. Running out of outs and at bats at this point.

It’s amazing how much the Cats SPs have been squeezed in these SEC road games. I never really thought umpires posed that big of a home/road advantage in the past, but they sure have this season to date.

Haake has done a nice job of overcoming it so far.

This. UK hitters are off balance... not from the pitcher but the umpire.

The body language of the team in general hasn't been great this weekend. Seems like they are letting things get to them. 3 K's looking seems like a lot.

Maybe that hit will get them turned around. Put two together finally. We need a big inning to let Alabama know they should be in last place. And just as I was typing this, we hit into a DP.

I think it's good to have Gei hitting. We need to develop some more pinch hitters. None are very reliable right now.

Bad luck there after Cottam's single, as Johnson absolutely murdered the ball, but hit it right at the 2B who snagged it and doubled Cottam off at first. Gei hits a soft fly to right to end the inning.

Ugh Haake finally gives up a hit on an excuse me swing back to the bump.

Dawson battles to run pitch count up but eventually K's. Aklinski gets a one-out single on a well-hit ball to center, but after a pitching change, Becker K's swinging and Pompey, hitting from the right side, pops up to the 1B. Pompey struggling at the plate this weekend.

Bases loaded 2 outs. Haake has walked them full and they are leaving him in.

What in the hell are they doing leaving Haake in at this point, well over 100 pitches with bases juiced after 3 walks this inning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT