ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky v. USC Upstate (1)

Lewis will take up a bat in the box and he will bat from the lefty. He goes oppo-taco to the left side down the line for a double!! Great piece of hitting for Lewis!

Pompey works a full count before striking out. Going to the bottom of the 9th with things all tied up.

It was nice to see Zeke Lewis get to do something offensive. I could have missed it but it was the first time I'd seen him doing anything offensive other than pinch run.

It was nice to see Zeke Lewis get to do something offensive. I could have missed it but it was the first time I'd seen him doing anything offensive other than pinch run.

Not sure if he has hit before, at least not right off hand, but I think Gabriel said that was his first hit as a Wildcat.

I looked at his bio and he had 5 at bats a year ago, but no hits. He's just a redshirt sophomore. Thought it was older.

Machamer gets the strikeout to start the bottom of the 9th. Upstate has the middle of their lineup up, so this is a scary spot. Mach blows another fastball by an Upstate hitter in order to get the second strikeout of the inning. Gabriel, for those that can't stand to listen to him, said that the radar gun is hitting 93 on Mach. The fifth hitter in the lineup works a full count and takes a slider into right field for a single.

Looks like Miss. State may very well start this season off 0-2 against So. Miss.

Reactions: Dorecat
Mach struggling to find the strikezone here. Two straight balls out of the stretch.

A short mound visit by Cottam settles him in and he throws a strike at the knees and follows it up with a high swinging foul ball strike before getting a comebacker that he takes himself for out number 3.

We're going to extras. 5-5 going to the top of 10.

Becker with a beautiful swing with two strikes. He sends a nice line drive into left center for a leadoff double!

Aklinski swinging the whole way fouls off the first two pitches before seeing two balls even it back up. He then essentially gets a swinging bunt by poking one to the pitcher. So, he does his job regardless. Have to like that he didn't strike out and allowed the runner to move up 90 feet. Runner at third with one out.

UK now going to Brayden Combs, the redshirt freshman first baseman hitting from the left side.

Combs pops out to the short stop. Two outs with a runner at third. That hurts.

Cam Hill with a perfect bunt down the third base line! Bunt single for the first hit for Cam Hill! Welcome to UK baseball Cam!

Squires lined one into right field, but it can't find the grass and that ends the inning. Going to the bottom of the 10th 6-5 Kentucky.

The Cats were pretty aggressive against Upstate pitching right there, they were swinging at a lot of first pitches.

Mach, as expected, still in to close this out. He gets the first hitter to ground out to second. Becker makes an easy running scoop and throw. Mach follows that up with a strikeout for the second out. UK is one out away from closing this game out and getting the second win of the young season.

A great play to his right on a grounder towards the middle by Becker. he throws on the run and Squires gets the scoop to end the game with a W for Kentucky.

6-5 UK victory. Machamer will get the win.

Reactions: Jamal Mercer
It wasn't overly pretty, but UK made a very crappy comeback to get the win!

Great to win when your starter has what appears to me to be his worst outing ever. I sure hope he never walks four in an inning again.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
Excellent win by Cats the kind you need to have a special season. Machamer was just what you want in the 9th and 10th

Easy to come away feeling great about this one. Your No. 2 starter pitches as poorly as he's going to this year, you have to figure, and you erase a 5-0 deficit going into the sixth. Cats win 6-5 in spite of leaving 16 men on base.

Easy to come away feeling great about this one. Your No. 2 starter pitches as poorly as he's going to this year, you have to figure, and you erase a 5-0 deficit going into the sixth. Cats win 6-5 in spite of leaving 16 men on base.

If I am going to complain, which I am good at, I'd like to not see us leave 16 runners stranded. haha

Reactions: JRowland
Cam Hill gets some early action as he gets the first out on a fly ball to right field. Ramsey then gets to play some defense himself as he fields a slow grounder back towards him and he underhands it to Squires for the second out of the inning. Very solid defensive play there for a guy who may in the future be a two way player. Cam Hill once again shows some glove as he makes a sliding catch out in right field. It really pumps up the UK team to see him make that play.

5-3 going to the 8th.
Maybe they needed Hill in right field against Xavier...defensive skills seem well above average.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT