ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky v. South Carolina (Sunday)

Well, let's see if taking the pitcher out when he is really in trouble works better than leaving him in, like we did last weekend.

The BEST hitting team in our conference and we are bottom dewellers in the standings.

Hmm... looked like a possible double play ball, but Dawson goes the easy route and gets just one. One pitch one out, but UK gives up a run.

Man that looked like strike 3 on a 1-2 pitch. Squires didn't frame it well. That is something I think Squires can improve upon.

DAWSON!!!! PUT HIM ON ESPN!!! DIVING SNAG ON A ONE HOPPER AND THROWS HIM OUT AT FIRST!!! HUGE PLAY!!!

Man... Cottam almost squeezed that big mitt too soon on the scoop... that ball was basically hanging out of it when it showed it to the umpire.

‪Amazing diving stop by Dawson at short and scoop by Cottam at first to save a run and get the Cats out of the inning. SportsCenter Top 10 worthy. Mingione said in preseason Dawson may be best defensive SS he’s ever coached. Showed it there. ‬

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Make a good play in the field and then have a good at bat! Dawson grounder through the right side! A little oppo-taco!

Ming planting seed with first base ump during this SC mound visit. Thinks he’s seen something in delivery that might be a balk move.

Demurias now in for South Carolina to face Pompey. Pompey rips one back through the box past the diving short stop! Great hitting with two strikes.

Squires going to square and give himself up with the bunt. Good move here, IMO, to get runners in scoring position and try to manufacture a run or two more with 0 outs. Get to 7 runs and put this away.

HEYER!!!!! HOLY HECK!!!!! 13 HOME RUNS AND HE MURDERED IT!!!! IT MAY NEVER COME DOWN!!!

BECKER TAKES A HIGH FASTBALL OUT JUST PAST THE SCOREBOARD!! BACK TO BACK BOMBS!!!

UK leading 9-3!!

Cottam still not seeing the ball well. I actually would kind of like to see him hitting 8th again. That is where he was raking. Bump up Collett to 6 and have ARod hit 7th and try Cottam at 8th. I don't particularly like him hitting there, but if he does well in the process then I am not going to stop it.

Last edited:
UK leading 9-2!!

Cottam still not seeing the ball well. I actually would kind of like to see him hitting 8th again. That is where he was raking. Bump up Collett to 6 and have ARod hit 7th and try Cottam at 8th. I don't particularly like him hitting there, but if he does well in the process then I am not going to stop it.

Agreed that Cottam not seeing ball well today, but I trust him at the plate more than anyone else on the team outside of (maybe) pompey and squires. I hate him batting 8th, I like him 3rd or 4th.

Wish he'd hang one up for Collett to get him on track again.

I just want to see Collett do stuff like that. Battle and draw a walk. Then when he gets a chance to hit I want to see him drive one somewhere. Doesn't have to be a home run. Just roll over on one and put it in a gap. I almost think that more home runs by him will hurt him overall.

I think Heyer is the ideal example. He is mashing home runs when pitchers make mistakes, but he has a very high on base percentage and he gets hard base hits when he isn't hitting the home runs.

Funny thing, we scored those 4 runs without any walks. Maybe the team plays looser and swings more freely when they get those earlier walks and make the other team pay.

Agreed that Cottam not seeing ball well today, but I trust him at the plate more than anyone else on the team outside of (maybe) pompey and squires. I hate him batting 8th, I like him 3rd or 4th.

I don't particularly like it either, but he hit .388 out of the 8 hole. That is pretty darn good. Not sure how well he hit in SEC play in another position, but he had some really solid games hitting that low.

Funny thing, we scored those 4 runs without any walks. Maybe the team plays looser and swings more freely when they get those earlier walks and make the other team pay.

That was definitely the kind of inning I have been looking for and hoping for. String together some hits and then get the big fly. We helped it even more by following it with a solo fly.

Reactions: Old_Red
Carson Coleman now in and starts off with a strikeout before plunking a hitter.

Dang that pitch by Coleman was so nasty! A 2 seam fastball that started inside and came back across the plate. He didn't get the call on a 1-2 pitch, but man that was a thing of beauty and should have been strike 3 IMO.

Coleman didn't get the call and he gives up a single that scores a run. UK leading 9-4 with 2 outs in the 7th.

I really like Coleman. I would be interested to know how long he can go because his stuff is electric.

Reactions: STUCKNBIG10
Coleman gives up another single to make this 9-5. He was up in the count in both of those instances. In the second one, it was a seeing eye single off of a good pitch. UK going to Machamer.

I have to say... I do not like this for UK. This is our entire bullpen and we've used it very poorly right now. Machamer should not be coming on to get us 7 outs.

Mach wearing those pants in almost the Gred Maddux style.

Whew... Mach left one really high that looked a lot better off the bat than it was and it goes for a can of corn out to left. UK up 9-5 going to the middle of the 7th.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT