ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky v. Sam Houston State

Collett to lead off the UK 6th he's struggling to handle the inside slider, but he works a full count before he's walked.

UK once again gets the leadoff man on base. Heyer up now and SHSU wants to talk about it. They decide to take down Wesneski and they will go to Riley Cooper. Cooper is a lefty making his third appearance and he's got an ERA of 8.10. His first pitch gets away from the catcher and Collett moves up 90 feet. He walks Heyer.

UK threatening with runners on second and first with no outs. Another mound visit to settle down Cooper. Johnson puts some good wood on it but the short stop makes a diving grab to take away a hit and probably save a run. Tristan Pompey now coming in to hit for ARod.

Pompey seeing his first action in a while. Glad he's back. 2-0 count and Bearkats have seen enough and are going to make another pitching change .

Pinch-hit appearance for UK's Tristan Pompey today. He was not expected to play in Houston, so good sign for Cats. UK leads 3-0 in the 6th.

Righty Dakota Mills coming on. He's 6'3 230 and he's a thick guy. Has a 2.30 ERA in two appearances. He's got 7 strikeouts against 17 hitters. Pompey moves to the left side of the dish to face him. He takes two balls sandwiched between a strike to draw a walk. Bases juiced for Dawson. Pompey is being taken down and Lewis will run for him.

I think UK wanted Pompey there knowing we need a run or two more here to feel comfortable. Dawson falls behind early 0-2 before showing a good eye and working it back even. Unfortunately a good fastball rings him up. I think Dawson thought that was a bit low, but he needed to protect.

Squires also falls behind before grounding out to third.

That really hurts. Needed a run or two there and to take advantage of three walks.

3-0 UK

We're going to the 7th and UK brings in Ramsey. Thompson did what we all wanted him to do. Now up to our bullpen.

Would have preferred Haake here, but Ramsey has pitched well with a sub 2 ERA. He may be expected to pitch two and get Mach to the 9th.

Ramsey is the other half of the Twin Towers. He and Hjelle are both from Minnesota with Ramsey standing 6'7 and Hjelle 6'11. Ryan Shinn out in left now and he gets the first out of the inning on a line drive right at him.

Ramsey hits the next batter but the umpire makes him stay put for not trying to avoid the pitch. Umpire didn't even think about it. Immediately made him stay. A break for UK because that was an 0-2 pitch. Ramsey comes back and gets the swinging strikeout! Two down.

Ramsey gives up just his third hit of the year on a grounder through the right side. Interesting tidbit here as SHSU goes to a pinch hitter who is the only non-Texan on their roster. He flies out to Aklinski for the third out.

3-0 UK going to the bottom of the 7th.

Terrific outing by sophomore left-hander Zack Thompson today: 6 IP, 0 R, 4 H, 1 BB, 7 K. Cats lead Sam Houston State 3-0 in the 7th.

Exactly what we were expecting Thompson to start the year doing. Biggest thing is the 1 bb.

Aklinski up now with UK looking to add some insurance runs. Mills still out there for the Bearkats. He can go a while and has one start this year. Mills doing a good job playing the outside corner on righties. Aklinski works a full count and singles into straight away center.

Becker up looking to bunt Aklinski over and he does so successfully.

Cottam hits one hard to right and deep enough to move Aklinski over. Collett will see a new pitcher from SHSU.

Lefty Brad Demco will be the new arm. His third appearance and he's got a 5.40 ERA with just 1.2 innings pitched.

Knee high hanging curve gets over the wall in right. TJ doesn't need the short porch to be successful.

Heyer now up. Got to be scary for this pitcher to have to face them back to back.

Heyer works the count full before walking. The 2-2 pitch against him was hit a long way but foul.

Johnson grounds one to second to end the inning.

Going to the 8th with Kentucky up 5-0.

I bet scouts are excited about seeing Haake. His first pitch was straight gas but he ultimately gives up a leadoff single.

We've got to find a way to keep our baseball players from falling when off the field. Maybe bubble wrap themm

He kind of just stabbed at that one and the pitch was so strong that it zipped past a diving Squires and into right.

Another lefty to face Haake who falls behind 2-0 before battling back. Johnson tries to field one in right and can't make the play on his shoe tops and the runners are on the corners. That one died on Johnson right before it got to him.

Line drive into left is a sac fly that scored the first run for SHSU. Haake getting hit hard. He left that one right over the middle of the plate. 5-1. Haake then gets a strikeout.

Remember, SHSU also trailed Vandy 5-0 yesterday before coming back to win in extras.

Nasty pitch that just dropped off the table to get that swinging strikeout. Called strike three ends the inning for SHSU.

You guys think when Haake fell that he was thinking about the scene in Bull Durham where Nuke fights Crash?

Middle of 8th: Kentucky 5, Sam Houston State 1. TJ Collett has hit his 6th HR of the season for the Cats. UK appears to have some serious pop this season.

Crash Davis : Did you hit me with your right hand or did you hit me with your left? Huh? Did you hit me with your right hand or did you hit me with your LEFT?

Ebby Calvin LaLoosh : My left.

Crash Davis : Good! That's good; when you get in a fight with a drunk you don't hit him with your pitching hand. God, I can't keep giving you these free lessons so quit screwin' around and help me up.

Shinn starts off the 8th with a single. How many leadoff base runners is that for UK? Seems like it's been most innings. Shinn moves up 90 feet on a wild pitch.

By the way, new pitcher for SHSU this inning. Dawson successfully sacrifices Shinn to third.

The last pitcher was Colin Cameron. He's now coming down and will hand the ball over to Dominic Robinson with one out and a runner on third. Robinson has one start on the year but has struggled with a 7.50 ERA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT