ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky v. Miss State (Sat)

Hoping Henderson does a Henderson and leaves Small in despite him struggling a bit. In some ways, I'd leave him in because he faces Shinn, Kessler, and Aklinski and they have done nothing.

UK facing a righty may help. Baseball gods hate us today. Perfect hop makes a tough play times easier for State and takes away a possible lead off hit

Ramsey coming into a tough spot. Hope we see beginning of the year Ram and not what we have seen lately.

Heyer hunts with 2 strikes and State throws it away and it scores 2 to put UK up 4-1. He then gets thrown out trying to take 3rd. Squires grounds out to second.

Reactions: TM2013
Lesson for the day:

- if you want a closer to go against the Cats, don't go with a fastball pitcher, go with the guy who throws a good curve/slider

Cats with 4 runs in bottom of 8th to go up 4-1 going to top of the 9th with shot at winning game 2 and getting to 0.500 in the SEC.

Ramsey not looking sharp in the top of the 9th so far. Leadoff walk given up with one strike that was borderline.

Ramsey runs it full on the second hitter. Goes up 0-2 before throwing three straight balls.

Whew... deep fly ball to left finds Pompey's glove about 2 feet in front of the wall for out number one.

I didn't think that ball was hit as well as some the ones UK has hit the past couple of days, but it went further and was a pretty scary fly.

Ramsey needs to come out here. He is struggling to locate pitches. Need to find someone to come in and shut this down. I am in favor of Mach coming in and making sure that we get this series right here.

3-1 now with Ramsey still on the mound. This is the 9 hole hitter and Ramsey works it 3-2 once again. Great pitch on the outside corner down. 3-2 pitch and Pompey catches it and immediately bounces off the wall. A foot or two higher and that thing is gone or Pompey has to rob it.

Geez ... three long ball outs by Pompey ... and the Cats get a big win against MissSt. Go for the sweep tomorrow and we may see a bunch a pitchers tomorrow.

Reactions: TM2013
I really didn't feel like 1 run would win this game, but I was beginning to get nervous. Huge pitching game basically piecing one together. Tomorrow we still have Harper to pitch and Mach on the back end. We can conceivably sweep this series.

This is a big time week for UK. This is the third top 50 RPI win in as many games this week. We are now 16-11 against top 50 RPI teams. We need teams like Auburn to lose and get behind us so that we get the nod to host over them. Ole Miss, is just a bit away from sweeping the Tigers, which would put them at 13-13. They had taken a big step up last weekend by sweeping Vanderbilt, but now that they are getting swept by Ole Miss, they may end up at .500 along with us and that will hurt their RPI, which has already dropped 4 spots this week. Their struggling and our winning is huge for us to be able to get up and get into a hosting position. Need to continue to win, or at least win series and we will be in the discussion.

If UK:
--sweeps Miss State
--beats Murray
--goes 2-1 vs Vandy
--at least lives up to seeding in Hoover (not upset)

Thinking that should be good enough to host .....

If UK:
--sweeps Miss State
--beats Murray
--goes 2-1 vs Vandy
--at least lives up to seeding in Hoover (not upset)

Thinking that should be good enough to host .....

If we finish 16-14 in SEC play, then I have to imagine that UK will host regardless of what we do in the SEC tournament.

Right now Florida, Georgia, Arkansas, and Ole Miss are locked to host. D1Baseball had Georgia as a number 4 national seed. I think they slide after this weekend where they may very well get swept by Florida. D1Baseball then listed Auburn as a top 16 seed. So, they think that 5 SEC teams will likely host. So, UK needs to finish above those teams that are on the cusp of hosting, Auburn being one. Ole Miss swept Auburn this weekend and they are now 13-14. Texas A&M is another team that is right on the cusp, but so far Arkansas has taken two from them with one more to go tomorrow. So, they are now 12-14. They play South Carolina and Auburn plays LSU. So, if we finish ahead of those two then we are likely to host as long as they don't make giant runs in the SEC tournament.

Duke has also played themselves into a regional at this point. They have now taken 2 of 3 (so far) from UNC (RPI top 5). So, they are probably pretty much locked into a host.

So far, it is somewhat simple to write in (in no particular order):

Florida
Stanford
Oregon State
Arkansas
Texas Tech
Stetson
Florida State
Clemson
Duke
East Carolina
Georgia
Ole Miss
UNC

So, that is 13 teams and you have 3 spots left. Minnesota out of the Big 10 looked to be the team that would step up to take one of those spots, but losing to RPI 201 Michigan State last night dropped them 9 spots this week. UConn is another team that is on the cusp, but they have lost back to back games to RPI 49 Houston. They will also have to face RPI 14 East Carolina in the last weekend. So, the poor showing at the end of the year may make them fade out of the picture. NC State could lock down one of those spots if they take the series from (10) FSU next weekend.

You then have Auburn, Kentucky, and Texas A&M all with RPIs around 11-16. I don't think two of these will get in. I think one of them gets in, unless they all bomb. So, it is there for the taking. I think we have to win two against Vandy and finish at least .500 to get to host. I certainly think 16-14 does it, but .500 might do it as well.

Reactions: rbs and ukdesi
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT