ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Shot Chart: 2023 vs 2024 - Incredible Stuff!

No useless long 2 pointers this season. We also have players that can make threes at a high clip and finish much better around the rim. What a fun team.

Reactions: Jazzycat
Remember everyone on here saying that UK always took too many "long twos" and people on this board defended it?

THIS is the single biggest reason the 2023-2024 Kentucky team has an elite offense.

If we ran this offense last year with the likes of Wheeler and Toppin it would have been a disaster. We ran an offense based on the personnel we had at the time. A missed mid range shot was almost a feature of the offense because it leaned heavily into Oscar's skill as an offensive rebounder.

It didn't look pretty, but in 2021-2022 it was still the 5th most efficient offense in country.

Reactions: mcnicKY91
213 made 3s for the entirety of last season. Already at 83 made this season. Shooting about 8% better. This is what happens when you recruit players who can dribble, pass, and shoot(Wagner might be more of a scorer rn, but in HS he could score in bunches). Much harder to guard guys who can score from all 3 levels and we have 7 of them. Hell, add Bradshaw, and it's probably 8.

If we ran this offense last year with the likes of Wheeler and Toppin it would have been a disaster. We ran an offense based on the personnel we had at the time. A missed mid range shot was almost a feature of the offense because it leaned heavily into Oscar's skill as an offensive rebounder.

It didn't look pretty, but in 2021-2022 it was still the 5th most efficient offense in country.
This is what I don't get...it's like fans think UK should have been running this type of offense over the past 3-4 yrs. UK didn't have the personnel to run this type of offense. Would have been a train wreck.

If fans want to get on Cal for not recruiting guys who could play the offense we are seeing this year, that is a fair criticism...but to say Cal should have been running this year's offense the past couple years is ridiculous.

We’ve had lots of teams where we could have run a 4 out offense - the year we had Hagans, Quickley, Herro, Keldon Johnson, PJ Washington comes to mind. We’ve never run offense like this. Its great.

This is what I don't get...it's like fans think UK should have been running this type of offense over the past 3-4 yrs. UK didn't have the personnel to run this type of offense. Would have been a train wreck.

If fans want to get on Cal for not recruiting guys who could play the offense we are seeing this year, that is a fair criticism...but to say Cal should have been running this year's offense the past couple years is ridiculous.
Yup, and before people forget to read your second paragraph, no one would argue the fact that roster construction and recruiting has been poor since 2020. That's fully on Cal. But the actually offense we were running has been a function of the roster we had.

Reactions: ruppcat

We’ve never utilized the spread or shooting like this, even teams that could have. Let’s give Cal credit for changing, not praise him for running an archaic offense in the past.

We’ve never utilized the spread or shooting like this, even teams that could have. Let’s give Cal credit for changing, not praise him for running an archaic offense in the past.
Definitely am not praising him for running the style of offense we have seen in the past, but simply pointing out that Cal did not have the personnel to play how he currently is offensively over the past 3 years...don't really think that is debatable.

Trying to imagine Askew, Brooks, Toppin, Oscar, Grady, Wheeler, Tyty, or even Wallace playing like this...would have been disastrous.

Definitely am not praising him for running the style of offense we have seen in the past, but simply pointing out that Cal did not have the personnel to play how he currently is offensively over the past 3 years...don't really think that is debatable.

Trying to imagine Askew, Brooks, Toppin, Oscar, Grady, Wheeler, Tyty, or even Wallace playing like this...would have been disastrous.

Ya but you’re pointing out last year - I’m talking about any of the other 13 rosters we’ve had. I mean hell imagine running this offense with Ulis, Booker, KAT, etc. we would’ve averaged 100 pts. Imagine running this with SGA, PJ Washington, Knox, and Diallo, etc etc. let’s not act like we haven’t had athletes that would benefit from space and a spread offense at Kentucky. How many players have we had blow up in the NBA right after playing at Kentucky due to a spread offense? I’m thrilled Cal has seen the light. Let’s hope he doesn’t revert when we get some bigs back.

We’ve had lots of teams where we could have run a 4 out offense - the year we had Hagans, Quickley, Herro, Keldon Johnson, PJ Washington comes to mind. We’ve never run offense like this. Its great.
I'd push back a bit that that team could have run this offense. We probably could have taken more threes, but that was also five years ago at this point. Offensive strategies have evolved a bit since then.

Hagans only shot 28% from three and that team as a whole was 123rd in 3 point percentage at 35%. Compare that to this team that's shooting almost 43% from three. Sheppard is shooting 63% and Dilly 53%. Those numbers are almost guaranteed to come down a bit, and when they do the offense won't look as good as it does now. This team is scorching hot right now shooting the ball, but I highly doubt it'll be that way all year long.

Every offense looks good when guys are hitting shots, and that is one of the reasons things look so good right now. The offense itself has been great and the ball movement is next level, especially considering how many of the guys are freshmen, but at some point the shots won't be falling at the clip they are now.

I'm not saying this offense is a mirage, but when you're living this highly by the three you'll eventually die by it. Are people really going to be satisfied if we lose in the Sweet 16 because we shot 5-28 from three? I'd love to be wrong on this, but if guys like Reed and Dilly don't revert a little more to the mean with their 3 point percentage it'll go down as some of the greatest shooting seasons in the history of basketball.

Reactions: mcnicKY91
I'd push back a bit that that team could have run this offense. We probably could have taken more threes, but that was also five years ago at this point. Offensive strategies have evolved a bit since then.

Hagans only shot 28% from three and that team as a whole was 123rd in 3 point percentage at 35%. Compare that to this team that's shooting almost 43% from three. Sheppard is shooting 63% and Dilly 53%. Those numbers are almost guaranteed to come down a bit, and when they do the offense won't look as good as it does now. This team is scorching hot right now shooting the ball, but I highly doubt it'll be that way all year long.

Every offense looks good when guys are hitting shots, and that is one of the reasons things look so good right now. The offense itself has been great and the ball movement is next level, especially considering how many of the guys are freshmen, but at some point the shots won't be falling at the clip they are now.

I'm not saying this offense is a mirage, but when you're living this highly by the three you'll eventually die by it. Are people really going to be satisfied if we lose in the Sweet 16 because we shot 5-28 from three? I'd love to be wrong on this, but if guys like Reed and Dilly don't revert a little more to the mean with their 3 point percentage it'll go down as some of the greatest shooting seasons in the history of basketball.

I’m not expecting us to average 100 a game and neither should anyone. But the biggest gripe about Cals tenure has been our offense. How many of our NCAA tournament games have we lost because we had a low scoring bad offensive showing? Cal plays stall ball at the end of games and has an archaic offense - that’s always been the major gripes. Remember the famous example of him yelling at Monk to drive against UNC instead of shoot that 3 when he was on fire. He didn’t even have Reeves in the game in overtime of the champions classic against MSU a couple years ago (Lance Ware and Wheeler two man game baby!)

I just don’t really know what point you guys are trying to make. Cal brought on this Welch guy and we’ve been playing a completely different and amazing and fun style of play. We’ve never played like this or embraced this philosophy. Just acknowledge Cal has changed instead of trying to justify how he’s played for whatever reason and let’s all hope it continues.

Reactions: IbnSaran
Ya but you’re pointing out last year - I’m talking about any of the other 13 rosters we’ve had. I mean hell imagine running this offense with Ulis, Booker, KAT, etc. we would’ve averaged 100 pts. Imagine running this with SGA, PJ Washington, Knox, and Diallo, etc etc. let’s not act like we haven’t had athletes that would benefit from space and a spread offense at Kentucky. How many players have we had blow up in the NBA right after playing at Kentucky due to a spread offense? I’m thrilled Cal has seen the light. Let’s hope he doesn’t revert when we get some bigs back.
Most definitely agree we have had some rosters over Cal's tenure that would have flourished in this offense, not disagreeing. But in my posts I made sure to point out that his rosters over the past 3 years (and then I named players UK has had the past 3 years) would have struggled mightily playing this style.

But yes, either way, love what I am seeing thus far!

Reactions: Ron Mehico
Most definitely agree we have had some rosters over Cal's tenure that would have flourished in this offense, not disagreeing. But in my posts I made sure to point out that his rosters over the past 3 years (and then I named players UK has had the past 3 years) would have struggled mightily playing this style.

But yes, either way, love what I am seeing thus far!

I think we’d all be better off forgetting the last 3 years ever happened 😂

The great thing about this is that it should also help with recruiting. How many good players do you think we have lost due to the archaic style of play over the last few years. A good shooter doesn’t want to play for a team that doesn’t shoot.

The great thing about this is that it should also help with recruiting. How many good players do you think we have lost due to the archaic style of play over the last few years. A good shooter doesn’t want to play for a team that doesn’t shoot.
Yeah imagine if we didn't play such an archaic offense recently? Maybe we could have landed the #2, #3, #6, #15, and #28 recruits.

Here's a hot take.

You should be running this offense REGARDLESS of your personnel.

IF you say last year's UK team couldn't run this, then that team wasn't winning anything anyway. It doesn't mean you compound a sub-optimal team and then try to hide it by running a sub-optimal offense.

That's what 2022-23 Kentucky did.

You need to have the personnel to run it and you need to have a coach to teach it . This is the first year we’ve had either.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Yeah imagine if we didn't play such an archaic offense recently? Maybe we could have landed the #2, #3, #6, #15, and #28 recruits.
What about the priorities we missed. askew wasn’t our first pick for point guard. Zion, Cade, Bamba, Banchero, Lively, Hardy, and Wiseman. All of those were considered UK leans. If you think we’ve been “eating first” the past 4 years you haven’t been paying attention.

We didn’t run this offense with Fox and Monk

Reactions: BlueSince92
What about the priorities we missed. askew wasn’t our first pick for point guard. Zion, Cade, Bamba, Banchero, Lively, Hardy, and Wiseman. All of those were considered UK leans. If you think we’ve been “eating first” the past 4 years you haven’t been paying attention.

UK has eaten first since Coach O returned.

Remember when Jai Lucas was going to be a HUGE loss?

Remember everyone on here saying that UK always took too many "long twos" and people on this board defended it?

THIS is the single biggest reason the 2023-2024 Kentucky team has an elite offense.

Thanks…CAN YOU LET US KNOW, THE CHART SCHEDULE…?????
THERE ARE DIFFERENT COLor REDS, and Blues…, AND THERE ARE DIFFERENT SIZES OF THE INDICATORS …, SMALL, MEDIUM LARGE.
i have n inkling but would like clarification.
AGAIN THANKS….VERY INTERESTING.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT