ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Searching the Globe for 1 More Big Man

A Croatian basketball player comes to the US and applies for a driver's license. During the eye test, the examiner asks him if he can read the lowest line. He looks at the line and replies, "Not only can I read it but I know the guy as well!"
Touch base with Ralph Hacker, he'll help you out with his name pronunciation.

Yep…

Why is Memphis on every player we ever recruit?

• Angry
Reactions: catben
UK going after a high level big overseas instead of the portal means 1 of 2 things. 1- Portal has nothing left for us. Or 2- UGO and Bradshaw will be out and not be available for quite a long time.

giphy.gif

UK going after a high level big overseas instead of the portal means 1 of 2 things. 1- Portal has nothing left for us. Or 2- UGO and Bradshaw will be out and not be available for quite a long time.
Think they will be ready but just in case we have to prepare. Also graduates we won’t know until later in the year if at all.

The cynic in me says the staff either knows or has serious doubts if Bradshaw ever plays here or they know UGO isn’t ready at all.

Sign that Croatian kid right now though. 7’3 and that type of versatility.

The cynic in me says the staff either knows or has serious doubts if Bradshaw ever plays here or they know UGO isn’t ready at all.

I don't see the two as being correlated. It's been obvious we needed one more big, and I think the staff was hoping to make that last big Somto until this one final class is now holding them back. And the Ugo injury just makes it even more apparent as foot issues can flame up or linger.

Think they plan on having both ready to roll by October, but best to have the depth in place.

I think it’s more they know they need another body for practice and for the season and they hope they strike gold and find a really good player or get depth

I think it’s more they know they need another body for practice and for the season and they hope they strike gold and find a really good player or get depth
I don't see the two as being correlated. It's been obvious we needed one more big, and I think the staff was hoping to make that last big Somto until this one final class is now holding them back. And the Ugo injury just makes it even more apparent as foot issues can flame up or linger.

Think they plan on having both ready to roll by October, but best to have the depth in place.
Genuinely hope that’s the case. I don’t disagree that another body for practice or foul trouble would be nice. And I thin intheir initial preference was the reclassification.

But I don’t see us bringing in a potential 7’3 1st rounder as a bench warmer practice body spot minute guy backup role. Which means one of Ugo or Bradshaw would lose a few minutes if both are available so they all get significant time.

Unless you Play Mitchell at the 3 some bc he showed in Canada that he will be hard to not have on the floor 25-30 min a game. Personally I don’t want the 3 big lineup w Bradshaw at the 4. If we have 4 bigs who all expect to play major minutes. Our backcourt is too good to not play 3 guards at a time and Thiero is a legit option as a 3/4

My opinion is Ugo may not be full time serviceable and more of a matchup and situational player right now so the staff is looking for a true 5 to allow Bradshaw to be the 4 assuming he plays. Or Ugos injury timeline is still uncertain. If he or Bradshaw doesn’t recover in time or their camps shut them down and it gets stretched out to mid season or beyond then you clearly need another big. Odds of one of those guys not being back by midseason is likely imo given how we’ve seen the staff handle injuries on the past so they are preparing for worst case / likelihood

Genuinely hope that’s the case. I don’t disagree that another body for practice or foul trouble would be nice. And I thin intheir initial preference was the reclassification.

But I don’t see us bringing in a potential 7’3 1st rounder as a bench warmer practice body spot minute guy backup role. Which means one of Ugo or Bradshaw would lose a few minutes if both are available so they all get significant time.

Unless you Play Mitchell at the 3 some bc he showed in Canada that he will be hard to not have on the floor 25-30 min a game. Personally I don’t want the 3 big lineup w Bradshaw at the 4. If we have 4 bigs who all expect to play major minutes. Our backcourt is too good to not play 3 guards at a time and Thiero is a legit option as a 3/4

My opinion is Ugo may not be full time serviceable and more of a matchup and situational player right now so the staff is looking for a true 5 to allow Bradshaw to be the 4 assuming he plays. Or Ugos injury timeline is still uncertain. If he or Bradshaw doesn’t recover in time or their camps shut them down and it gets stretched out to mid season or beyond then you clearly need another big. Odds of one of those guys not being back by midseason is likely imo given how we’ve seen the staff handle injuries on the past so they are preparing for worst case / likelihood
The Croatian kid may be the staff hoping they hit on a late prize, from what I have found online it’s a major uphill battle to get him eligible even he wants to come to Kentucky.

Reactions: cdbearde
It’s pretty clear that it has been Cal’s intentions all along to add another 5 man.

First he went after Dickinson early in the offseason.

Then he hinted that he would explore the possibility of a grad transfer in August.

Both of those moves were before Onyenso was injured.

Now it’s clear that he is going to sign another player.

I don’t think this means Onyenso or Bradshaw or both will be out for a while or anything like that.

This has always been the plan.

That seems pretty clear if you have paid attention this offseason.

It’s pretty clear that it has been Cal’s intentions all along to add another 5 man.

Then he hinted that he would explore the possibility of a grad transfer in August.

I don’t think this means Onyenso or Bradshaw or both will be out for a while or anything like that.

Yes it is clear for whatever reason, hope we pull it off. Finding one and getting him eligible will be the next drama in the UK/Cal soap opera

The more I watch the Croatian kid the more I like what he offers, if Kentucky truly wanted to go five out and spread the floor Wagnes reeves Edwards Mitchell and this Croatian kid, or any of the others players and Kentucky is insanely hard to guard
That would be a nice look finally and we still have a bunch of size to protect the rim, rebound, and our big guys could shoot on the perimeter for a decent clip.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Recruitment in the balkans and baltic countries for a 23-24 "big" indicates to me that there is a great deal of uncertainty about Bradshaw and Ugo playing this year. Very prudent move!

Reactions: TysonD44

IF that was the plan, then WHY was the Ware kid from Oregon never approached? Why wasn't the big guy that would up at Cincy ever approached? Both of these appeared to be more advanced than Ugo, yet they were ignored. Just not so sure I believe this was the "plan". If it wasn't for Huggins, then Mitchell would not have fallen into UK's lap. Just been to many lies thrown out to the public by this coach.

Recruitment in the balkans and baltic countries for a 23-24 "big" indicates to me that there is a great deal of uncertainty about Bradshaw and Ugo playing this year. Very prudent move!
maybe more forced than prudent

I think we've had plenty of prospects come here and pan out over the years....the NBA rosters tend to confirm that belief of mine.
That guy would be negative if Larry, Michael and Magic was lacing them up for us next year. I don't think he's a UK fan

IF that was the plan, then WHY was the Ware kid from Oregon never approached? Why wasn't the big guy that would up at Cincy ever approached? Both of these appeared to be more advanced than Ugo, yet they were ignored. Just not so sure I believe this was the "plan". If it wasn't for Huggins, then Mitchell would not have fallen into UK's lap. Just been to many lies thrown out to the public by this coach.
What did he say about this situation that was a lie? Not being facetious, I just missed it

That would be a nice look finally and we still have a bunch of size to protect the rim, rebound, and our big guys could shoot on the perimeter for a decent clip.
For sure, I just wonder if they can get him eligble that seems like it is going to be hard or a lot of work on Kentuckys end

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT