ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky now co favorite to win the title along with Kansas after last night

No

No he won't be as bad as he was last night but honestly that is the part that sucks the most. He will be just good enough and have some games where he feast against bad teams judt enough to justify Cal giving him 30 min a game even though to anyone who knows a thing about basketball can see Reed contributes more to winning.
You speak as though you know what he's going to do and what Reed's going to do after 1 game.

We have no idea. Reed could go 1/12 next game while DJ goes 5/5 from 3.

It must be nice to think you have such a crystal ball.

You speak as though you know what he's going to do and what Reed's going to do after 1 game.

We have seen more than 1 game. I can tell that Reed is a better basketball player than Wagner. He is better at nearly everything on the court. Thats a fact.

How is Wagner elite? He can't hit the broad side of an aircraft carrier and he can't beat his man. He makes me miss Hagans.

How is Edwards elite? He looked lazy and lost and airballed a wide open three after missing a gimme dunk. How tall is he, 6'8"? SMH
el oh el

They've played 3 college basketball games. But sure, let's write them off and throw them to the side.

3. Total. Games.

While I don’t disagree, Cal out coached Self last night. Probably not a popular take, but whatever. He really did. IMO anyway.
Idk if he outcoached him or not but I'm glad to see this take whether it's popular or not. Some fans put every single little thing by they can on the coach every time something don't go right and even sometimes when it does they still put it on him. Nothing wrong with being objective sometimes. Shit, I get tired of Cals shit too but sometimes it's alright to pat him on the back if he done a good job. I thought he was good at times last night too. He gotta reel in Reeves though from shooting all them damn 3's unless he got a very good look at the basket in those late game situations.

Last edited:
el oh el

They've played 3 college basketball games. But sure, let's write them off and throw them to the side.

3. Total. Games.
How many games do you require to tell if they're elite or not? 30? 15? Tell the rest of us, Oh Oracle of Basketball. Where is it written?

BTW I've already offered in another thread to wait until after the Miami game to pronounce judgment. Is that enough for you?

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I'm sure your sample size includes the next three cupcake games.
Do you ever got anything that's not negative to say? When the last time you wasn't bitching about something? I was just wondering. Please let us know. If it makes you that miserable then why watch it? I'd find me a new hobby if it made me as miserable as it seems to make you.

Hell, everybody knows that Wagner and Edwards played like shit!!!!!!! They sure did. I noticed it too. I just thank that good ol Jesus above that it don't kill me out so bad that I gotta get on a msg board and reply to every comment I can find to run something down.

I'd like to remind folks of something...

After 3 games in college...

Marquis Teague had 12 turnovers
Aaron Harrison avg 9ppg & 2/13 3FG
James Young avg 11ppg & 35% FG
Devin Booker avg 5ppg & 1/11 3FG
IQ avg 11pg & 2/8 3FG
Tyler Herro 10ppg & 2/10 3FG
PJ Washington 8ppg & 44% FG

Last edited:
We will not be a favorite to win anything by the time the SEC slate is done. Cal will mismanage this team into a bad seeding and most likely an early NCAA exit. He's just not going to change.

I'd like to remind folks of something...

After 3 games in college...

Aaron Harrison avg 9ppg & 2/13 3FG
James Young avg 11ppg & 35% FG
Devin Booker avg 5ppg & 1/11 3FG
IQ avg 11pg & 2/8 3FG
Tyler Herro 10ppg & 2/10 3FG
PJ Washington 8ppg & 44% FG
Did you look up their minutes played too?

How many games do you require to tell if they're elite or not? 30? 15? Tell the rest of us, Oh Oracle of Basketball. Where is it written?

BTW I've already offered in another thread to wait until after the Miami game to pronounce judgment. Is that enough for you?
I'm the Oracle? You're the one that decided by the Miami game is enough time to pronounce judgement. It's really bizarre how often you willingly make yourself look like the fool.

So because I said it's only been 3 games, your ONLY rational thought is that I have the perfect number in mind? There's no way that the point is, wait for it, wait for it, wait for it, that 3 games is rushing judgement? Come on man

I'm the Oracle? You're the one that decided by the Miami game is enough time to pronounce judgement. It's really bizarre how often you willingly make yourself look like the fool.

So because I said it's only been 3 games, your ONLY rational thought is that I have the perfect number in mind? There's no way that the point is, wait for it, wait for it, wait for it, that 3 games is rushing judgement? Come on man
I knew you were unable to answer my questions.

I knew you were unable to answer my questions.
What question do you want answered? The number of games needed in order to pass judgement? You realize only a dumbass would try to attach a number of games to something like that, right? Oh wait, that's what YOU did...

Edwards
Dillingham
Sheppard
Wagner
Bradshaw.
We had six of the best eight on the floor last night.
As far as DJ goes, he had a rough game but Cal isn't doing anything different with him early in the season than Portland is with Scoot Henderson.
If you draft a guy #3, you have to let him play through growing pains until you see what you have.
Same with Edwards.
Cal doesn't give a damn that he took that loss last night he's trying to figure out what he has and getting everyone better.
Coaching is a little more difficult when you are building a brand new team.
No sense is acting like we were playing for the Championship last night
Its almost like you are a fan of UK and not on this board solely to attack our coach LOL .

Reactions: SkyPrince1

Question for you? Who do you want at the free throw line at the end of the game? Or who do you want to take the last second shot? Wagner or Shepherd? Just an honest answer from what you know about each players careers?

What did he actually lose?
Are their any season goals that are out of reach now?
I guess 40-0 is off the table
He has a lot harder job than Self as all he has to do is manage the game.Their rotations is set. Their offensive and defensive philosophy is set
Cal has to build the pieces into a team and all the pieces aren't available yet.
That's his own doing. If he wasn't so bent on pushing kids into the NBA, and acted like coaching the University of Kentucky basketball team was HIS job, then maybe we wouldn't have to hear these same excuses every year. Recruit better, coach like you're supposed to, and leave "NBA dreams" between a kid and his parents. Do your job.

What question do you want answered? The number of games needed in order to pass judgement? You realize only a dumbass would try to attach a number of games to something like that, right? Oh wait, that's what YOU did...
Kentucky will not lose another game in 2023

While I don’t disagree, Cal out coached Self last night. Probably not a popular take, but whatever. He really did. IMO anyway.
I think people are resorting to their usual talking points because of the result. A team like KU always makes a second half run and brings the game close. Obviously I would have preferred that never happen, but I think after KU took the lead our guys responded very well. Any time that happens again this year now Cal can tell the guys "The #1 team in the country made a run like this on you and you took the lead back. We're a better team now than we were then, just relax and play your game and we win this one."

Taking a team with four guards and a forward and going blow to blow with the #1 team who has one of the best big guys in the country and having the game be a coin flip with two minutes left is a pretty coach coaching job in my eyes. The difference in the game really may have been Dilly going under a screen and letting KU hit another 3.

Disappointing result, but I still loved what I saw overall.

Forcing DJ in the starting lineup is what will kill this team.
As of right now this team has two options. We can be a very good team with DJ getting 15 or so minutes a game and relying on Dilly and Sheppard. Or it can be elite with DJ coming into his own as the year progresses.

You don't give up on the elite team in the second half of a November game. Cal will give DJ and Edwards time to develop not because he's worried about their draft stock (Never really understood this argument anyway. If the more they play the worse they look they hurt their draft stock. People really accuse Cal of protecting draft stock when he plays guys and when guys don't play. Can't have it both ways), but because he knows the best version of this team is when those two are great players.

You build that foundation in November. If it's February and it's still clear DJ is getting outplayed by other guys and is still getting the most minutes that's one thing. But there's nothing at this point to get worked up about.

Reactions: SkyPrince1
Hitting more shots down the stretch isn't necessarily out coaching. I didn't see either coach do anything fantastic play-wise in those last 5 minutes. Had Reeves just hit one of those two shots and Shep laid it up instead of trying to kick out and turn it over, and if we hit all our final FTs, we'd have won even with Harris tagging 3s.

Kansas still looked relatively lazy at times, which is why we caught up, went up by 12, and then went up again by 14. Cal's bizarre subs and forcing DJ and Edwards to work through crap basketball might be your best pointer to Self appearing to out coach since Harris was always on the floor.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
UK has a higher ceiling than any team in the country by a mile.

We held our own against the best team in the country (at the moment) and that was with key players missing and relying heavily on Freshmen.

We are only going to get better. And our key weakness (size) could become a strength very soon.

Agree 100%. Cal is an average bench coach and great recruiter. He did a really good job last night. We just ran out of gas IMHO. Mitchell and Thiero were toast....

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Cal doesn't give a damn that he took that loss last night
He must not care too about these either
90-E706-CA-BD9-D-422-F-A7-AB-1615-CA88-A1-B4.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ky grandpa
Lmao not sure why that dipshit KU fan thinks my post is so hilarious. Self had EVERY advantage possible last night and still should’ve lost the game. If it weren’t for that moving screen set by HD and then the absolute flop where he fell down like a schoolgirl in the paint on a post up, they very well may have lost. That last foul call was horrendous.

Idk if he outcoached him or not but I'm glad to see this take whether it's popular or not. Some fans put every single little thing by they can on the coach every time something don't go right and even sometimes when it does they still put it on him. Nothing wrong with being objective sometimes. Shit, I get tired of Cals shit too but sometimes it's alright to pat him on the back if he done a good job. I thought he was good at times last night too. He gotta reel in Reeves though from shooting all them damn 3's unless he got a very good look at the basket in those late game situations.
I mean, Self had EVERY advantage known to man last night and we led for what, 80% of that game? Yeah, he got out coached. They should’ve ran UK off the floor with that size and experience advantage. Hell, two of our most talented players has 5 points combined, while they had THREE guys post career nights. Lulz

Hitting more shots down the stretch isn't necessarily out coaching. I didn't see either coach do anything fantastic play-wise in those last 5 minutes. Had Reeves just hit one of those two shots and Shep laid it up instead of trying to kick out and turn it over, and if we hit all our final FTs, we'd have won even with Harris tagging 3s.

Kansas still looked relatively lazy at times, which is why we caught up, went up by 12, and then went up again by 14. Cal's bizarre subs and forcing DJ and Edwards to work through crap basketball might be your best pointer to Self appearing to out coach since Harris was always on the floor.
Yeah. I didn’t like the substitution patterns at all. Anyway, KU should’ve wiped the floor with us. They had a huge size advantage and experience advantage. I thought we had a good shot but was surprised at how much of that game in which we led by on the scoreboard.

He started Quade over Shai then made a change.
He started Whitney then went with Quick in a three guard lineup.
What makes you think DJ won't get yanked if Rob and Reed produce more?
I don’t think DJ will ever get yanked! Not gonna happen!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT