ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky misses.

You either get a proven borderline-NBA 5th year senior who you know can play.

.. or you take a chance on a reclass kid who has zero college experience, wants minutes, and will likely never give his team his full potential in the one year he's there.

Glad to be apart of these roster construction "misses" now.

Riley was told he would be an integral part of the following year's team but had no promises or guarantees about this coming season if he reclassed and came here.

I think at some point Pope is going to learn that every top 25 player is going to want some guarantees and Pope will have to give in some but for this time, we arent desperate so losing Riley isnt anything to be upset over.

Riley was told he would be an integral part of the following year's team but had no promises or guarantees about this coming season if he reclassed and came here.

I think at some point Pope is going to learn that every top 25 player is going to want some guarantees and Pope will have to give in some but for this time, we arent desperate so losing Riley isnt anything to be upset over.
Unless he's making those minutes guarantees to proven transfers. I like those guarantees a lot better. My guess is Pope's sales pitch is more likely "Minutes are earned in practice, and I guarantee you an opportunity to earn them".

Isn't there a thread on this already? And why do you just post article after article from SI or ESPN?

Only 5 star players I want are the John Wall, Cousins of the world. Immediate impact players.

Everyone else needs to be Vets and 1 or 2 big time projects at the end of the bench.

He reclassed so he can get to NBA quicker, pretty obvious he isn't going to school to help somebody win a title. I'm sick of these kind of players coming to UK. I say Vaya Con Dios
Same. I would never take or want a re-class.

And before someone says they are just switching back to their original class, that isn't helpful. They'd still be better if they waited another year and it also shows they were putting up their good high school stats against younger kids.

Antigua 1, Hart/Brooks 0.

Hate to say I told yall so but I told yall so.
Absolutely nothing to do with immediate playing time and current roster makeup. Illinois is in a better position to guarantee him minutes this season. Had we missed on Jaxson Robinson then there is a much more likely scenario Riley ends up here. But unless he was willing to play limited and develop during his reclass year to be featured during his normal timeline freshman year (soph season on a reclass timeline), then he wasn’t going t in he happy here. He’s looking for immediate playing time as a 17 year old

Antigua 1, Hart/Brooks 0.

Hate to say I told yall so but I told yall so.
Whew!! Thank goodness for Antigua. Good call on that. But I’m still a little afraid that with UK’s history under Calipari and the schools’ high profile and draw, many, if not most, of the high school OAD recruits will be clamoring to come to UK and Pope might be tempted to dip into that mostly superficial fools gold unproductive OAD pool.

Please, sweet baby Jesus, let Antigua, Calipari and Scheyer scoop up all the OAD freshmen so Pope isn’t tempted.

• Love
Reactions: deep3

Just wondering how you know what was told to the youngster?
Do you have inside info?

Sure, it's a miss, but there isn't too much reason to sweat about it yet. It's not like we were sitting at 6 or 7 scholarships and 5 of them were other incoming freshman. Unless he turns out to be a Brandon Miller caliber player, his commitment most likely is going to make/break the season.

I woulda loved to have him aboard. Another dice roll for a high level contributor is welcomed. It also would have infused the BBN with some energy during the lull of the summer.

F'him. You want to play at ILLINOIS over Kentucky! Clearly not someone that we ever will want no matter how many stars by their name. This is not the Cal I want 5 stars who will be great one day in the NBA a few years after they leave the program.

• Love
Reactions: deep3
F'him. You want to play at ILLINOIS over Kentucky! Clearly not someone that we ever will want no matter how many stars by their name. This is not the Cal I want 5 stars who will be great one day in the NBA a few years after they leave the program.
You're really going to have to get used to kids preferring to play at other schools, like Illinois, over Kentucky. Strap in.

Reactions: Warf2012
He’s hardly borderline. He would have been the 1st or 2nd most talented player on the team this year. He could have been the difference between round of 32/s16 vs a final four/title.

Yes. The #4 SF that just reclassed takes your ceiling from round of 32 to Final-4. You heard it here first, kids.

Reactions: TM2013
He’s hardly borderline. He would have been the 1st or 2nd most talented player on the team this year. He could have been the difference between round of 32/s16 vs a final four/title.
Or he could have been the malcontent on the bench that thought he was better than our Super Seniors Robinson and Brea and complained the whole time about not getting enough minutes, disrupting chemistry and knocking us down to a first round exit or worse.

So it might have been a blessing in disguise.

You never know and you never will.

That’s how “what ifs” work.

Yes. The #4 SF that just reclassed takes your ceiling from round of 32 to Final-4. You heard it here first, kids.
More likely the kid comes here, all 190 lbs of him, can't crack the top 8 in rotation, pouts, and transfers out somewhere where a coach can promise him what he wants. Him going to the Illini tells you what is most important to him.

Yep just like Knox, Edwards, Whitney, Boston, Livingston etc all led us to greatness. 17yr old children at SF is the recipe for every successful team.

Reactions: G-PIP and Mike-D

Calm down dude. No reason to cuss out a guy for going where there is more playing time.

It's all about money for all these guys nowadays. Money and playing time.

What part of 'get used to' didn't compute in your brain?
Are you the one person left who still thinks HS recruiting is the key to success? Have you been awake the last several years? Welcome to the transfer portal era buddy, no strapping in necessary unless you are a whiney & confused simpleton.

Are you the one person left who still thinks HS recruiting is the key to success? Have you been awake the last several years? Welcome to the transfer portal era buddy, no strapping in necessary unless you are a whiney & confused simpleton.
Um, no? Are you confusing me with someone else? Are you totally misunderstanding me, yet attempting to insult me? That's not going to go well for you, buddy.

That's an obvious damn Straw Man.

Don’t bother because they are a rival fan posing to stir up sh*t for their amusement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT