ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky leads the United States in sugar consumption

When we say healthy food is not more expensive what exactly are we talking about? I’m thinking a box of shitty processed spaghetti with a really sugary low quality spaghetti sauce can feed a family of 5 for under 5 bucks. The same amount of high quality spaghetti with a good quality, less sugar more actual tomatoes and ingredients sauce will be more than twice that. Conversely, an organic non hormone and chemical laced grilled chicken with salad dinner for a family of 5 is going to be five times that. What am I missing? Ramen, Mac n cheese, high fat low quality ground beef, hormone laced cheap milk etc is all way cheaper than the healthier alternatives. What am I missing?

You’re missing that the first link was from the USDA. They’re the organization that gave us the food pyramid and should be laughed out of any discussion regarding health foods and public health policy. Odds are that study was funded by Phillip Morris or RJ Reynolds.

$32 and this is a very conservative list. Easily good for 4 meals plus breakfast. It isn't rocket science....people just don't want to take the time to do it. Family of 4 is going to spend this on one trip to CFA.

But again, it's not comparing Fast Food to grocery shopping. It's comparing buying healthy items at the grocery store vs. non healthy items.

A Box of Fruity Pebbles is always going to cost less than Kashi Go Lean cereal (per volume), and 90% fat free ground beef always costs more than 70% fat free..

Reactions: Ron Mehico
But again, it's not comparing Fast Food to grocery shopping. It's comparing buying healthy items at the grocery store vs. non healthy items.

A Box of Fruity Pebbles is always going to cost less than Kashi Go Lean cereal (per volume), and 90% fat free ground beef always costs more than 70% fat free..

The argument made in the second link I listed is essentially that a balanced diet can contain some less healthy foods. It's about balance. The Harvard study referenced essentially compares costs vs calories ... ie what can you buy of equal calories for the cost of 4 carrots. You can indeed buy more calories in bad foods for the cost of 4 carrots.

What isn't address there, per the criticism, is that carrots can also replace macaroni and cheese. Yes, less calories, but also healthier and more nutritional.

The argument made in the second link I listed is essentially that a balanced diet can contain some less healthy foods. It's about balance. The Harvard study referenced essentially compares costs vs calorie... ie what can you buy of equal calories for the cost of 4 carrots.

What isn't address there, per the criticism, is that carrots can also replace macaroni and cheese. Yes, less calories, but also healthier and more nutritional.

I did not get a chance to read those links, but I'll check them out.

I'm not sure I would say that carrots can equate to mac and cheese. Yes, carrots are undoubtedly healthier, but you're gonna need to eat a heck of a lot of them to satiate you, which the 2nd article did allude to. If you wanted to fill your entire day's worth of food with JUST vegetables and fresh items (non processed, non frozen, etc etc).. it's not going to be cheap. Meanwhile, you CAN get by an entire day with a generic processed loaf of white bread, bologna, kraft singles, campbells soup, sugary cereal, Eggos, poptarts.. that will cost, what.. $10 a day for the food (Knowing the bread will last 3 days, etc)?

You simply can't eat healthy for $10/day.. at least not that I've found.

It is without a doubt more expensive to eat clean and healthy than it is to eat ultra processed prepackaged foods. Especially when you factor in the time and inconvenience involved.

It’s not up to the government to solve the problem. However, if the USDA, FDA, etc. are going to exist, the regulatory capture problem needs to be solved. Right now those organizations exist solely to give cover to the food and pharma organizations that fund them. They need to be fixed or eliminated so Americans can understand what they’re putting in their bodies.

The focus needs to be on Whole fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, eggs, chicken, bison, turkey, etc.

Cereals shouldn’t be a staple, more of a cheat meal. Eggs, Apples, blueberries, and bananas and trail mix is great option for morning meals

Compounding the problems created by sugar consumption, are the bigger problems created by high fructose corn syrup in place of sugar for many items. I try to avoid those when there are "real sugar" alternatives (e.g. ketchup), which isn't often.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
The focus needs to be on Whole fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, eggs, chicken, bison, turkey, etc.

Cereals shouldn’t be a staple, more of a cheat meal. Eggs, Apples, blueberries, and bananas and trail mix is great option for morning meals

But that's the point some of us are making... Cereal and Pop Tarts are always the cheaper option on a volume level.

Look at it this way, you can get a Hungry Man ultra-processed meal for like $5. There's no way you can recreate that meal, with fresh and healthy options, for less than that.

All that said, I think we all agree that healthy, natural, and minimally processed foods are the way to go. And there are ways to do it for cheaper than what people might think.

But that's the point some of us are making... Cereal and Pop Tarts are always the cheaper option on a volume level.

Look at it this way, you can get a Hungry Man ultra-processed meal for like $5. There's no way you can recreate that meal, with fresh and healthy options, for less than that.

All that said, I think we all agree that healthy, natural, and minimally processed foods are the way to go. And there are ways to do it for cheaper than what people might think.
We’re on the same page. Except, that I think ultra processed foods, come with hidden costs of more doctor visits, medications and illness, due to high blood pressure, high inflammation, high blood sugar and more weight etc

If you’re not at your best or sick all the time, can you maximize your income??

Likely not. You’re robbing Peter to pay paul

Last edited:
I asked AI to create a healthy meal for the cost of a Hungry Man meal:

Healthy Meal Plan​

1. Protein:

• Chicken Breast: Buy a small pack of boneless, skinless chicken breasts. You can often find these for about $2 per serving.
2. Vegetables:

• Frozen Mixed Vegetables: A bag of frozen mixed vegetables (like broccoli, carrots, and peas) costs around $1.50 and can be used for multiple meals.
3. Carbohydrates:

• Brown Rice: A small bag of brown rice costs about $1 and can be used for several servings.

Simple Recipe​

1. Grilled Chicken Breast:
    • Season the chicken breast with salt, pepper, and any herbs you like.
    • Grill or pan-fry until fully cooked.
  2. Steamed Vegetables:
    • Steam the mixed vegetables until tender.
  3. Brown Rice:
    • Cook the brown rice according to the package instructions.

Cost Breakdown​

• Chicken Breast: $2
  • Frozen Mixed Vegetables: $0.50 (for one serving)
  • Brown Rice: $0.50 (for one serving)
Total Cost: $3

We’re on the same page. Except, that I think ultra processed foods, come with hidden costs of more doctor visits, medications and illness, due to high blood pressure, high inflammation, high blood sugar and more weight etc

If you’re not at your best or sick all the time, can you maximize your income??

Likely not. You’re robbing Peter to pay paul

Oh for sure. Eating healthy is 100% worth the cost in my opinion. I guess the problem with inflation these days, is that some families literally can only afford to eat processed. Or, at least, to remove some of these cheap processed foods entirely.

I asked AI to create a healthy meal for the cost of a Hungry Man meal:

Healthy Meal Plan​

1. Protein:

• Chicken Breast: Buy a small pack of boneless, skinless chicken breasts. You can often find these for about $2 per serving.
2. Vegetables:

• Frozen Mixed Vegetables: A bag of frozen mixed vegetables (like broccoli, carrots, and peas) costs around $1.50 and can be used for multiple meals.
3. Carbohydrates:

• Brown Rice: A small bag of brown rice costs about $1 and can be used for several servings.

Simple Recipe​

1. Grilled Chicken Breast:
    • Season the chicken breast with salt, pepper, and any herbs you like.
    • Grill or pan-fry until fully cooked.
  2. Steamed Vegetables:
    • Steam the mixed vegetables until tender.
  3. Brown Rice:
    • Cook the brown rice according to the package instructions.

Cost Breakdown​

• Chicken Breast: $2
  • Frozen Mixed Vegetables: $0.50 (for one serving)
  • Brown Rice: $0.50 (for one serving)
Total Cost: $3

Which Hungry Man's are Chicken breast, plain vegetables and brown rice? FWIW, Hungry Man's have 4-5 different foods, not just 3.

I'm also not sure if a bag of Frozen peas and carrots is really "multiple meals".. I think at best it's 2 meals worth. But I also can't say I know how much the vegetables are in a Hungry Man.

I also don't see where chicken breast is ever $2/pound unless it's a sale. Even the shittiest chicken breast at my grocery store (Hannaford) is $3/pound, and it only goes up from there. (ANd I'd make the argument that your grocery stores cheapest chicken s going to have it's OWN health issues).

Finally, now you start adding in the cost to MAKE this food. HungryMan is just one microwave and done. To make Chicken/Rice/Vegetables it's going to be a microwave and however you want to cook the chicken and rice, which means time, utensils and cookware needed, etc.

Edit: I hate that I'm defending HungryMan, cause I don't eat that shit ever. I have one soda a year. I'm not really for this food at all. But a loaf of White bread, lb of bologna, kraft singles will cost $10 and it will make you like 7 sandwiches. You really can't beat that for a price, I don't think.

Last edited:
My wife and I spend an afternoon every weekend going to Sam's / Krogers and meal prepping. It is a huge expense in both time and money.

I've used AI to come up with a meal plan, too. It is worthless in the real world. Eating healthy is expensive, time consuming, and worth it.

And Canada sucks. If you want to talk about food being better elsewhere, try Europe -- not GD Canada. I wish we could sell Canada back to the Brits or something.

Oh for sure. Eating healthy is 100% worth the cost in my opinion. I guess the problem with inflation these days, is that some families literally can only afford to eat processed. Or, at least, to remove some of these cheap processed foods entirely.
I agree with the inflation piece, but I still think even the poor people, if they prioritize their health, they can afford it. Unless they’re just not trying.

Did they buy a case of beer first, or 3 dozen eggs?

Do they splurge for a $40 bill at McDonald’s,
Or did they go to the grocery and get three chicken breast, a head of broccoli and a pound of rice, 5 sticks of butter, a pound of cashews, carton of blueberries, 5 lb bag of carrots, and 1 pound of ground turkey

Last edited:
I agree with the inflation piece, but I still think even the poor people, if they prioritize their health, they can afford it. Unless they’re just not trying.

Did they buy a case of beer first, or a dozen eggs?

Do they splurge for a $40 bill at McDonald’s,
Or did they go to the grocery and get three chicken breast, a head of broccoli and a pound of rice?

For sure, there's definitely some laziness to it. My tenant is unemployed.. and she has a newer car than me or my wife, and gets door dash delivered every day. So there's definitely a laziness problem with america's poor people as well.

This is a totally separate argument here that I’m making and I realize that - but it’s appropriate here imo. I do all the grocery shopping for my family of 5. I’m very health conscious. So for example instead of buying hormone laced value brand milk I buy the grass fed organic free range milk which is around 7 dollars for a half gallon. The vital farms free range eggs are about 4 times the cost of the value eggs. I know you may think that’s ridiculous but I don’t want to eat the eggs of the de-beaked tortured chickens in a pen - I want the free range healthy chickens - same with milk - same with the actual chicken. And you can absolutely tell the difference. The eggs literally look completely different. The free range yolk is a completely different, much darker color and they taste much much better and go bad quicker. Organic antibiotic free chicken is triple the cost.

I have this app called “Yuka” that’s European where you scan the UPC and it tells you health rating from 0-100. It tells you the sodium, sugar, etc. Butbthe coolest thing is it lists additives. I used to get Lunchables for my kids for lunch for ease and one day I scanned them and they rated 1/100. The reason? They had like 9 additives, 4 that have been shown to cause cancer! Like WTF. So now I get an Apple gates farms organic alternative that is like an 88/100 with no additives. The catch? It’s 5 times more expensive. For me it’s not a big deal, but for many it is. If you really want to eat healthy - like actually healthy - it’s much more expensive.

Last edited:
When we say healthy food is not more expensive what exactly are we talking about? I’m thinking a box of shitty processed spaghetti with a really sugary low quality spaghetti sauce can feed a family of 5 for under 5 bucks. The same amount of high quality spaghetti with a good quality, less sugar more actual tomatoes and ingredients sauce will be more than twice that. Conversely, an organic non hormone and chemical laced grilled chicken with salad dinner for a family of 5 is going to be five times that. What am I missing? Ramen, Mac n cheese, high fat low quality ground beef, hormone laced cheap milk etc is all way cheaper than the healthier alternatives. What am I missing?

It’s a valid question. It’s all relative. If I have $10 and I have to optimize that $10 around health, I’d argue almost every American or person with obesity could have a healthier meal than a meal high in trans fats, cholesterol, sodium etc. (assuming such options are available locally which isn’t always the case)

That wouldn’t necessarily mean you can buy all organic high quality from Whole Foods, but certainly healthier alternatives to a Big Mac from McDonald’s or more distinctly afford generally healthy meals of around 700 calories

It’s a valid question. It’s all relative. If I have $10 and I have to optimize that $10 around health, I’d argue almost every American or person with obesity could have a healthier meal than a meal high in trans fats, cholesterol, sodium etc. (assuming such options are available locally which isn’t always the case)

That wouldn’t necessarily mean you can buy all organic high quality from Whole Foods, but certainly healthier alternatives to a Big Mac from McDonald’s or more distinctly afford generally healthy meals of around 700 calories
You're not wrong. But a lot of what people are buying is "convenience".
Would be interesting to see how a "healthy foods" drive-through would do? I've seen food trucks that do healthy foods with long lines of people.

Reactions: KAB Cats
You're not wrong. But a lot of what people are buying is "convenience".
Would be interesting to see how a "healthy foods" drive-through would do? I've seen food trucks that do healthy foods with long lines of people.

There's a chain around me called Core Life. I think it's national. It's basically a Chipotle style, but all healthy and natural ingredients. They have the baskets of lettuce and kale and such behind the counter. Prices aren't too bad, but the ones below are outdated for sure. I'm seeing most of the Green and Grain bowls hitting $15.

The quality and taste is good, but the issue is that these places have to skimp somewhere if they want to offer food like this, so portions are meh. It's also not really drive-thru type food, as you really have to sit and eat it. Like you said, "convenience" plays a big role in this.

corelife-eatery.jpg

There's a chain around me called Core Life. I think it's national. It's basically a Chipotle style, but all healthy and natural ingredients. They have the baskets of lettuce and kale and such behind the counter. Prices aren't too bad, but the ones below are outdated for sure. I'm seeing most of the Green and Grain bowls hitting $15.

The quality and taste is good, but the issue is that these places have to skimp somewhere if they want to offer food like this, so portions are meh. It's also not really drive-thru type food, as you really have to sit and eat it. Like you said, "convenience" plays a big role in this.

corelife-eatery.jpg

The core life right beside me, which I loved, went out of business. So did “Be Fit Cafe” which was beside me as well. We also had a favorite spot we would take the kids to called “Clean Juice” that was great. They had this great avocado with eggs lunch wrap that was fantastic. The last time me and my wife took our oldest two kids there for lunch one day we spent 70 dollars 😂. It was not a big order at all. Me and my wife looked at each other and went “there’s no way this place is going to last at these prices”. Sure enough, two weeks later it closed. People just aren’t going to spend that much for healthy food to keep those places in business unless you are in a huge city.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
The core life right beside me, which I loved, went out of business. So did “Be Fit Cafe” which was beside me as well. We also had a favorite spot we would take the kids to called “Clean Juice” that was great. They had this great avocado with eggs lunch wrap that was fantastic. The last time me and my wife took our oldest two kids there for lunch one day we spent 70 dollars 😂. It was not a big order at all. Me and my wife looked at each other and went “there’s no way this place is going to last at these prices”. Sure enough, two weeks later it closed. People just aren’t going to spend that much for healthy food to keep those places in business unless you are in a huge city.

I was going to say, they are often pretty empty. Chipotle has it down, you can get a Burrito Bowl that's pretty damn filling, AND healthy for like $10 still.

Chipotle BTW is a real cheat code when it comes to eating healthy on the run, IMO. The only downside is that red salsa absolutely tears anuses apart.. or at least my anus.

Yeah. Fast casual burrito spots are basically the only true healthy lunch option regularly available. If you are the Beaumont Area and it is one of the 14 days a year it is open, Sahara is a great spot to get healthy food for lunch reasonably priced.

When I studied a semester in Australia, they had doner kebab night at the college cafeteria that was amazing. You'd get a pita and they'd fill it with whatever meat, veggies, cheeses, and fixin's you'd want. I think it would kill here.

Things like this may exist on campus now, though. Who knows.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT