ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky leads the United States in sugar consumption

Animated GIF

I don’t need sugar. I’m sweet enough

No surprise to me. Walk through the Fayette Mall food court and see how many overweight people you see

I hit a significant digit in weight and it freaked me out. I cut out soft drinks and dropped 12 pounds in a month.

Sugary soft drinks are the worst. Need proof? Spend just 3 minutes in the pop aisle of your local supermarket, and take note of the body shape of the folks that stop to buy multiple cases of pop.

Sugary soft drinks are the worst. Need proof? Spend just 3 minutes in the pop aisle of your local supermarket, and take note of the body shape of the folks that stop to buy multiple cases of pop.

They really do nothing to fill you up. At least fast food satisfies hunger. I've always thought that sugary caloric drinks are probably the worst thing you could consume if you're trying to lose weight. They have absolutely no benefit.

They really do nothing to fill you up. At least fast food satisfies hunger. I've always thought that sugary caloric drinks are probably the worst thing you could consume if you're trying to lose weight. They have absolutely no benefit.

It’s not just that calories either. There’s a long list of issues that come along with drinking liquid sugar.

Peter Attia had had a MD named Rick Johnson on a few times and he goes into all the details, particularly blood pressure. Are bodies are not equipped to handle rapid consumption of liquified sugar.

The FDA prioritizes corporate profit over our countries health.

Rogan had a guy on the recently taking about this. Said Canada allows 700 ingredients and our FDA allows infinitely more. Froot Loops are made differently in Canada than they are in the USA, because the FDA allows ingredients that are addictive to children.

I don't think society actually cares. A former First Lady merely suggested healthier school lunches for children once upon a time and suddenly there were upset, fat ass parents yelling about it.

We make our own bed and many want it filled with Skittles and Coke.

If you guys hate the FDA’s prioritization of profit, and want healthy children in America, wait until you hear about the #MAHA movement!

Thankfully we’ve got some people heavily involved in one of the POTUS campaigns who are putting the health of children above everything else.

Giving smaller portions of inedible “food” to children is not going to improve their health no matter what any president’s wife tells you.

If you guys hate the FDA’s prioritization of profit, and want healthy children in America, wait until you hear about the #MAHA movement!

Thankfully we’ve got some people heavily involved in one of the POTUS campaigns who are putting the health of children above everything else.

Giving smaller portions of inedible “food” to children is not going to improve their health no matter what any president’s wife tells you.
I was thinking of starting a thread on this. Every ignorant ass leftist on here will immediately side with gov agencies/big pharma/big food just like they did with Covid when they hear Trump and RFK Jr. have plans to take on this corruption. Guaranteed.

I don't think society actually cares. A former First Lady merely suggested healthier school lunches for children once upon a time and suddenly there were upset, fat ass parents yelling about it.

We make our own bed and many want it filled with Skittles and Coke.
Not exactly what happened. While the idea was cute and well intentioned...its the government, so execution was terrible and what actually played out was smaller portions, people who didnt know how to prepare healthier food making it inedible, and kids that only are able to eat at school ended up going home hungry.

But whatever to always deflect from the God King and Queen

Rogan had a guy on the recently taking about this. Said Canada allows 700 ingredients and our FDA allows infinitely more. Froot Loops are made differently in Canada than they are in the USA, because the FDA allows ingredients that are addictive to children.
Good. Canada sucks and their food is garbage. I'd rather get diabetes and not live there.

Sugary drinks are total garbage. No nutritional value. And you’re drinking 140-170 calories per can. And you’re getting no satiating value from it.

The solutions to the epidemics certainly are at this point.

Public policy may or may not be a solution to high sugar consumption / poor health in Kentucky, but to this point I haven’t seen any agreement in this thread on why it’s higher in Kentucky.

Which leaves the question, why is the health of Kentucky’s population so much worse off than the rest of the United States?

Public policy may or may not be a solution to high sugar consumption / poor health in Kentucky, but to this point I haven’t seen any agreement in this thread on why it’s higher in Kentucky.

Which leaves the question, why is the health of Kentucky’s population so much worse off than the rest of the United States?
Because KY is one of the poorest states. And cheap food is loaded with sugar.

Because KY is one of the poorest states. And cheap food is loaded with sugar.

While true, many Kentuckians could afford a salad over a hamburger. I don’t know I’m convinced the disparity in healthy foods is that big. i question how much is culture and habit versus affordability. If you can afford a coke, you can afford a Diet Coke.

Canada is famous for producing and consuming inhuman amounts of maple syrup

Reactions: Hank Camacho
While true, many Kentuckians could afford a salad over a hamburger. I don’t know I’m convinced the disparity in healthy foods is that big. i question how much is culture and habit versus affordability. If you can afford a coke, you can afford a Diet Coke.

Diet coke is no better for your body than regular coke, just in different ways.

And a salad is always going to cost more than a fast food cheeseburger. Unfortunately, eating healthy isn't cheap.

Diet coke is no better for your body than regular coke, just in different ways.

And a salad is always going to cost more than a fast food cheeseburger. Unfortunately, eating healthy isn't cheap.
If drinking sodas regularly there is a strong consensus that diet sodas are better, mainly due to lack of calories , but I wouldn’t argue there aren’t better alternatives. The point I’m trying to make is that there are healthier alternatives at similar prices.

Per this study from the USDA, healthier foods are actually cheaper than non-healthy foods,

The solution to weight gain is to reduce caloric intake and increase activity. I think this is my problem with correlating poverty directly to weight gain (or sugar intake). It costs no money to eat less or find alternatives at the same price. Assuming the food is available in a local market, it’s merely culture and habit leading to unhealthy lifestyles.

Here’s another critique of the general idea that healthy food costs more: https://www.gundersenhealth.org/health-wellness/eat-move/is-eating-healthy-really-more-expensive

Reactions: RunninRichie
It’s just hyper caloric food is addictive and cheap.

Reactions: KAB Cats
I very rarely drink sweetened or diet sodas. I drink a lot of water (regular and sparkling). Sometimes unsweetened ice tea. Rarely miss my daily morning coffee (black).

When we say healthy food is not more expensive what exactly are we talking about? I’m thinking a box of shitty processed spaghetti with a really sugary low quality spaghetti sauce can feed a family of 5 for under 5 bucks. The same amount of high quality spaghetti with a good quality, less sugar more actual tomatoes and ingredients sauce will be more than twice that. Conversely, an organic non hormone and chemical laced grilled chicken with salad dinner for a family of 5 is going to be five times that. What am I missing? Ramen, Mac n cheese, high fat low quality ground beef, hormone laced cheap milk etc is all way cheaper than the healthier alternatives. What am I missing?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT