ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Bourbons and Cognac

mcwildcats04

All-SEC
Jul 19, 2003
Been a long time since I've had bourbon and think I've only had cognac as part of mixed drinks so looking to try both and likely prefer to have them neat. Any recommendations on a good Kentucky bourbon and cognac at under $200 or so a bottle? Not afraid to pay a little more for a good bottle but don't want to go crazy (don't always get what you pay for just by spending more).

On the cognac, after doing a little more research, want to stick with an XO as those are aged at least 10 years. I know Hennessy, Remy Martin, and Courvosier are a few of the big ones but I've also read that these use a lot more artificial additives (something more controversial called Boise?). So, not sure if there's a good brand out there that is more pure worth trying.

I ordered a Glencairn glass for the bourbon and a brandy snifter for the brandy just to see if that truly enhances the drink.

Let me know any thoughts. Thanks!

The former is the best in the world yet Kentucky Cognac has a nice ring to it.
My last drink of bourbon was that Wisconsin final 4 game. It's time to get back on the wagon. Only positive bourbon memories moving forward and have to stick with Kentucky bourbon!

Reactions: jameslee32
I recently came upon a couple of bottles of heaven hill bottled in bond and I think that might be my favorite bourbon, though it’s sometimes hard to find. Used to be Blanton’s but think I prefer the Heaven Hill to it. My favorite easy to find and affordable bourbon is four roses small batch.

Know nothing about cognac but would be interested to hear recommendations on those.

Last edited:
Reactions: wildcatwelder
I recently came upon a couple of bottles of heaven hill bottled in bond and I think that might be my favorite bourbon, though it’s sometimes hard to find. Used to be Blanton’s but think I prefer the Heaven Hill to it. My favorite easy to find and affordable bourbon is four roses small batch.

Know nothing about cognac but would be interested to hear recommendations on those.
Just the thought of the words Heaven Hill makes me want to vomit. Lol. We used to crush like $10 vodka handles of that shit in HS.

I am not a bourbon drinker, or really any adult beverage. Might have 1 drink just to be social. Not against drinking, it just doesn't appeal to me (don't like the idea of losing control and hate throwing up), and I hate the taste of beer.
But for my son's 21st birthday a few weeks ago I made him a basket of good sipping bourbons (Bulleit, Basil Hayden, Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve), 2 nice glasses, and a gift card to motorcycle accessory shop. Appropriate for a NC young man but with KY roots.

I am not a bourbon drinker, or really any adult beverage. Might have 1 drink just to be social. Not against drinking, it just doesn't appeal to me (don't like the idea of losing control and hate throwing up), and I hate the taste of beer.
But for my son's 21st birthday a few weeks ago I made him a basket of good sipping bourbons (Bulleit, Basil Hayden, Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve), 2 nice glasses, and a gift card to motorcycle accessory shop. Appropriate for a NC young man but with KY roots.
Yeah I really only limit my drinking to Fri. and Sat. nights and don't really get drunk or anything when I do drink. I enjoy red wine (Cabernet) more than anything but just open to trying new stuff. Usually only drink beer when I'm at a restaurant and can get it on tap (prefer brown and red ales more than anything).

Very cool gift to your son. I'm sure he'll love that. I've heard of all those brands other than Bulleit. Woodford Reserve is what I drank last so could try that again or maybe something new.

Bulleit and Basil Hayden are two of my favorites that generally run under a hundred bucks. I've never been a cognac guy, so I can't opine on that much.

Reactions: mcwildcats04
Cognac-yikes.

Was in France a few years ago. My small hotel bar had no beer, bourbon, or whiskey.

Heck... I'm in France let's try some cognac! Big mistake lol.

Tastes like cough syrup to me... no thanks.

Since then I've discovered scotch (Glenlivet specifically)... so I'm good across Europe now.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Cognac-yikes.

Was in France a few years ago. My small hotel bar had no beer, bourbon, or whiskey.

Heck... I'm in France let's try some cognac! Big mistake lol.

Tastes like cough syrup to me... no thanks.

Since then I've discovered scotch (Glenlivet specifically)... so I'm good across Europe now.
Ha, fair enough. I figure since I love wine and cognac is derived from grapes too, I'll probably like it, but get it's an entirely different and much stronger flavor too.

Knob Creek SB Select is less than $50 at Florence Costco.
Thanks. I'm up near Chicago. I have plenty of options around me but the closest by far is my Super Wal-Mart and I'm surprised at how great of a selection they have of alcohol. I found out I can get the more expensive cognac I am probably going to get (Hennessy XO at around $200) there. Definitely want to see what the bourbon options there are too.

We have a Costco not too far away and Costco membership so definitely need to check that out too.

Reactions: jameslee32
Four Roses small batch is a good sipping bourbon, moderately priced. Don’t get the standard yellow label, that ish is bad. For a cognac, try the Martell Blue Swift. It’s not XO but is finished in bourbon casks so it has some oakiness. Really nice flavor.

Four Roses small batch is a good sipping bourbon, moderately priced. Don’t get the standard yellow label, that ish is bad. For a cognac, try the Martell Blue Swift. It’s not XO but is finished in bourbon casks so it has some oakiness. Really nice flavor.
4R $28 also at Costco and always in stock in Florence.

Alright, went to my local Wally and picked up the Four Roses small batch ($35). They didn't have a huge selection of Cognac but did have the Hennessy XO so went with that. May have to stagger these. Not sure I'm going to do both tonight as also planning on red wine with dinner. Haha

Reactions: UKGrad83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT