ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Basketball and the Center Position:

BigBlueSean

All-SEC
Gold Member
Oct 23, 2013
Listen, I love the Sarr kid, he is good so this is no way meant to be disparaging to him, but its quite stunning to see how UK's recruiting of the C position (or guys we played there) has deteriorated over the last few years

2009-2015: Demarcus Cousins, Daniel Orton, Enes Kanter, Anthony Davis, Nerlens Noel, Dakari Johnson, Karl Anthony Towns, Willie Cauley Stein

6 of those were the best dude at their position----all 5 stars, most top 10 recruits

Then you have the success in the NBA of Cousins, Kanter, Davis and KAT

2016-Current: Isaac Humphries, Tai Wynard, Skal Labissiere, Bam Adebayo, Wenyen Gabriel, Sasha Killeya-Jones, Jarred Vanderbilt, PJ Washington, Nick Richards, EJ Montgomery

Then being incredibly reliant on Reid Travis from Stanford, Nate Sestina from Bucknell and now Olivier Sarr from Wake Forest....

Not only has the recruiting aspect just been poor, but development and just plain whiffing has increased. Humphries, Wynard, Skal, Wenyen, Sasha, Vanderbilt, EJ----all whiffs. Bam and Nick are the only of merit and Nick is not even a 1st rounder.

All of this combined with missing on the following guys (i know some we didn't recruit, but I dont understand why): Harry Giles, Marques Bolden, Udoka Azubuike, Marvin Bagley, DeAndre Ayton, Mo Bamba, Jarren Jackson, Wendell Carter, Mitchell Robinson, Daniel Gafford, Bol Bol, Charles Bassey, Naz Reid, Moses Brown, James Wiseman, Vernon Carey, Isaiah Stewart, Oscar Tschwibe, Armando Bacot, Evan Mobley, Day'Ron Sharpe, Makur Maker, Walker Kessler

So with all that being said----- what the hell is going on with the recruiting and development of guys we look to try and play as a C-ish position over the past 4-5 years?

Is this our reality now for the position?..... clinging to a hope of a transfer waiver being granted from a guy at Wake Forest to have a single guy of quality on the entire roster able to play a big? I'm just saying...I feel this needs to be said

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News