ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Baseball 2022

One that I did not mention was the kid from South Carolina. A pitcher, Magdiel Cotto. I didn't mention him because he played SEC baseball as a freshman. His numbers weren't great, but it is hard to judge a freshman on numbers alone and I don't recall seeing him play.
I think we got three solid pickups. It sure would have been nice to keep Kessler.

Rhodes goes 3rd RD to Orioles, 76th overall which is much higher that I'd seen him rated. Unlikely he returns.

Yep. He gone. I don't think anyone takes him that high without an assurance that he'll sign for that amount. That, and coupled with the fact that he left the Cape early, indicate to me that he will sign and move on to professional baseball.

Reactions: SeanCain
Rhodes goes 3rd RD to Orioles, 76th overall which is much higher that I'd seen him rated. Unlikely he returns.
Just saw that. Rhodes went higher than I thought. He’s definitely gone now, no question about it.

So let's look at what we have now. It is way too early to look at this, but I think it helps to at least see the depth and possibilities (plus it keeps me from actual work). Let me know what I miss:

1B: Church, Plastiak, Cotto, Kim
2B: Estep, Ritter, McCarthy, Dallas
3B: Estep, Church, Plastiak
SS: Ritter, Dallas
C: Rubalcaba, Liebert, Burkes
RF: Anu, Howe, McCoy, Liebert
CF: Thrasher, McCarthy
LF: Jump

Some other freshmen could play a factor, but this is probably about what our depth looks like.

Yep. He gone. I don't think anyone takes him that high without an assurance that he'll sign for that amount. That, and coupled with the fact that he left the Cape early, indicate to me that he will sign and move on to professional baseball.
And that's OK, that's the way you build your product. Saw where his slot money was $800K.

So let's look at what we have now. It is way too early to look at this, but I think it helps to at least see the depth and possibilities (plus it keeps me from actual work). Let me know what I miss:

Some other freshmen could play a factor, but this is probably about what our depth looks like.
Man I hope I am wrong but that doesn't strike me as too good. Maybe Jump and Thrasher will help.

And that's OK, that's the way you build your product. Saw where his slot money was $800K.

It is good for him, but bad for UK baseball. That is merely because UK has done a poor job finding and developing the talent necessary to replace players like him. We're relying on 2 transfer outfielders literally because we have no one else. I think outside of Anu we'll have no one in the OF that has played SEC baseball and just Anu and Liebert that have played for UK. This is also assuming Anu doesn't take some sort of money given the chance.

Just feels to me like, push comes to shove, UK is losing more and more HS talent and having to continually rely on transfers and JUCO players. You look at that depth chart I posted (which is way too early), but on that entire chart there are just 2 players who arrived as freshmen and are playing and will continue to play (Church and Estep). Burkes and McCarthy both redshirted and we'll see what happens with them. Everyone else is a transfer, or upcoming freshman. So 8 guys on that list are transfers. We will have 1 rising junior that plays and 1 rising sophomore.

It is good for him, but bad for UK baseball. That is merely because UK has done a poor job finding and developing the talent necessary to replace players like him. We're relying on 2 transfer outfielders literally because we have no one else. I think outside of Anu we'll have no one in the OF that has played SEC baseball and just Anu and Liebert that have played for UK. This is also assuming Anu doesn't take some sort of money given the chance.

Just feels to me like, push comes to shove, UK is losing more and more HS talent and having to continually rely on transfers and JUCO players. You look at that depth chart I posted (which is way too early), but on that entire chart there are just 2 players who arrived as freshmen and are playing and will continue to play (Church and Estep). Burkes and McCarthy both redshirted and we'll see what happens with them. Everyone else is a transfer, or upcoming freshman. So 8 guys on that list are transfers. We will have 1 rising junior that plays and 1 rising sophomore.
Agreed but the nature of the game, especially college baseball. "Good for him but bad for UK baseball." You can say the same thing about when a UK basketball/football player comes out...good for the player, bad for the sport. Vandy, Ole Miss, UF, Miss St getting hit hard but I assure you those coaches turn that around while recruiting.

NOOOOOOOO!!! Anu cannot go into the outfield!!

Holt Jones just went in the 14th round to the Marlins. That is a surprise!

Hmm that is very interesting. Jones information has been very very quiet this season and I have been wondering if he will come back to UK or what. 14th is a bit late, he could come back and raise that, but it might still be tempting to make the jump.

Harney is the one that is interesting to me. He did fairly well in league play. Not dominant, but he was a solid pitcher for the most part. So, I am surprised no one has given him more attention to this point.

Hmm that is very interesting. Jones information has been very very quiet this season and I have been wondering if he will come back to UK or what. 14th is a bit late, he could come back and raise that, but it might still be tempting to make the jump.

Harney is the one that is interesting to me. He did fairly well in league play. Not dominant, but he was a solid pitcher for the most part. So, I am surprised no one has given him more attention to this point.
I would think Jones would be back. The 14th round might not be enough enticement to leave.

Also, want to point out that Mingione tweeted congrats and that the Marlins were getting a good one regarding Jones. Not sure if there is anything to that other than just trying to be supportive of all his players, but if you take it at face value it sounds like Jones is gone too.

Also, want to point out that Mingione tweeted congrats and that the Marlins were getting a good one regarding Jones. Not sure if there is anything to that other than just trying to be supportive of all his players, but if you take it at face value it sounds like Jones is gone too.
Teams aren't drafting people that they don't know they will sign. He's gone, otherwise they would've used their pick on someone else they knew would sign.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
Bosma's first start of the year was against Jacksonville, who was a tourney team. Went 4.2, 6H, 0BB, 5K, 2ER, W. Had several similar starts, but their staff was so deep, they didn't let their guys go very deep in games. Even Bachman who was #9 overall didn't go very deep very often. The Ball State start that he pitched 2 innings in was the last game of the season, that meant nothing to either team, so they went to the pen early to get other guys some last action for the season.
I wanted to take a touch of a deeper dive into some of the transfers we're getting.

John Thrasher - OF from Hartford was the American East POTY after hitting .369 overall and stealing the second most bases in college baseball. These numbers popped to me, so I wanted to look more into how Thrasher might have done against better competition than the American East. There I learned that the AE did not play outside of conference this season. So, it is hard to put your finger on how good he is. He only played 36 games and still stole 37 bases, which means he had over 1 per game. The only player even close. So, still hard to tell how good he can or will be. What will also be interesting is that he might get drafted. I don't know how you hit .369 in a season and lead the nation in steals per game while also hitting 7 dingers and don't at least get a look. So, Thrasher has a decision if he is drafted... go pro and bank off the great year he had or try to prove himself in the SEC and possibly skyrocket his stock if he can get close to similar output. We will see what happens, I imagine he goes kind of late, but might get thrown enough money to take it.

Hunter Jump - OF from Arizona State. Another I am scratching my head about in regards to his MLB draft status. He hit remarkably well everywhere he has been. In 3 years at Arizona State (although his only full year is this one) he hit .328 in 335 at bats. The average didn't drop a ton in conference play this season as he hit .289 overall and .283 in conference play. Not a huge power threat, but hits doubles for days. Had 17 on the year, which is top 100 in the nation. Have to really like Jump and again, I kind of wonder what is up with him jumping around all the time... he went to ASU, went JUCO and then back to ASU and now he is going to UK. Just don't understand why he'd leave a starting OF position on an NCAA tournament team and another instance of me wondering why he doesn't have much MLB interest. Still, this could be good for UK as he does seem like the real deal.

Tyler Bosma - LHP from Miami (OH). Was a starter for the Redhawks. Redhawks had an excellent pitching staff with their ace pitcher going in the top 10 of the MLB draft last night. Bosma overall had a 3.95 ERA, but Miami (OH) doesn't play the toughest schedule in the world. The two best teams Bosma faced were probably Ball State and Central Michigan. Against CMU he went 5 and gave up 2 earned runs, striking out 6 walking 2 and hitting 2, giving up 3 runs on 4 hits. Against Ball State he went just 2 innings and gave up one earned run on 1 hit with a couple walks. Seemingly had some control issues that day.

Darren Williams - A RHP from EKU. Started for them and pitched 10 starts in OVC play with a 3.43 ERA in 65.2 innings of work. He pitched against GA Tech to start the year and went 5 innings and gave up 2 earned runs on 5 hits with 4 walks and 4 strikeouts. Outside of that, I'm not sure he faced any other really solid teams. Still, he was their ace and he at least seems to have some respectable stuff.

Tyler Guilifoil - Served as a closer for Lipscomb. Had a 3.25 ERA overall and had 5 saves in 17 appearances with 36 innings pitched. So, he was used pretty heavily even if he wasn't in save situations. Went 3-1 and opponents hit just .214 against him. Numbers get a bit higher in conference play. Went 2.1 innings against UGA and held them scoreless in a close game. Gave up 2 hits, 2 walks and had a strikeout. Also threw a scoreless and hitless inning against Auburn just a few days later, getting a strikeout to go with that. I don't think they considered him a true shut down guy as they didn't use him in some of the biggest spots. For instance, when they beat Tennessee 4-0 he did not appear in the game. That might have been for other reasons, but if available, I would have expected him to pitch there. Might be nothing, but it is interesting. Should be a pretty solid spot relief guy, but I wouldn't expect him to be dominant.
Bosma's first start of the year was against Jacksonville, who was a tourney team. Went 4.2, 6H, 0BB, 5K, 2ER, W. Had several similar starts, but their staff was so deep, they didn't let their guys go very deep in games. Even Bachman who was #9 overall didn't go very deep very often. The Ball State start that he pitched 2 innings in was the last game of the season, that meant nothing to either team, so they went to the pen early to get other guys some last action for the season.

Reactions: parrott
Teams aren't drafting people that they don't know they will sign. He's gone, otherwise they would've used their pick on someone else they knew would sign.
After the 10th round teams are not penalized for players that don't sign, so they can draft them even knowing they won't sign. Some teams do this just to fill a pick knowing the player has no intent on signing.

Just saw that. Also saw where Vitello signed a new contract for $1.5 million per year.

UT is silly for paying him that much. Great coach, no doubt, but if there was no bidding war for him I don't know why you'd pay him that much. He's making as much, or more, than coaches that have actually won the CWS.

Confirms Harney will use his extra year due to COVID to stick around.

This is a pretty big deal. I am surprised a team didn't take a stab at Harney. He isn't overly projectable, but he pitches pretty well and had 40 strikeouts in 32 innings of league pitching. Pretty solid. Will be interesting to see how UK uses him next year. This year he was going to be a closer until Hazelwood got hurt. So, will they move Lee off of weekends?

Way to early prediction.....Friday starter Stupp. Saturday starter Cotto. Sunday starter Hagenow. Closer Harney. Weekday starter Lee.

Reactions: parrott
Way to early prediction.....Friday starter Stupp. Saturday starter Cotto. Sunday starter Hagenow. Closer Harney. Weekday starter Lee.

That is a pretty bold prediction. What about Hazelwood?

I think it will be hard to move Harney back to closer after he was our best weekend starter. I think Stupp stays on Friday, but Lee's spot is up for grabs. Hagenow's trajectory makes me wonder what happens with him... it was weird that they basically abandoned him at the end and makes me wonder if he had some fatigue issues. Cotto will have to make some strides, but he's got some good experience, so maybe that helps.

Anybody hearing any UK/UDFA talk?

Haven't heard anything, but I guess just to look at it and break it down:

I think those that are "eligible" are:

Anu
Degen
Hazelwood
Harper
Liebert
Plastiak
Rubalcaba
Rigsby

I think injuries likely take Hazelwood and Rubalcaba off the list. I heard a rumor at one point that Harper was moving on and going to focus on his future career, but I don't know if that is true. Also heard Rigbsy may be stepping away from the game, but again, don't know the truth of that. I don't know that people have seen enough of Degen to warrant him getting much of a deal, and the same with Liebert.

So, that leaves:
Anu
Plastiak

Plastiak is playing summer ball and I get the feeling he is returning. Not sure that scouts saw quite enough of him in 2021 to throw much money at him. Anu has big potential and that might get him a look by someone. The fact that he hasn't taken steps to get into summer leagues (to my knowledge) makes me wonder if he is willing and ready to take some money and move on.

Haven't heard anything, but I guess just to look at it and break it down:

I think those that are "eligible" are:

Anu
Degen
Hazelwood
Harper
Liebert
Plastiak
Rubalcaba
Rigsby

I think injuries likely take Hazelwood and Rubalcaba off the list. I heard a rumor at one point that Harper was moving on and going to focus on his future career, but I don't know if that is true. Also heard Rigbsy may be stepping away from the game, but again, don't know the truth of that. I don't know that people have seen enough of Degen to warrant him getting much of a deal, and the same with Liebert.

So, that leaves:
Anu
Plastiak

Plastiak is playing summer ball and I get the feeling he is returning. Not sure that scouts saw quite enough of him in 2021 to throw much money at him. Anu has big potential and that might get him a look by someone. The fact that he hasn't taken steps to get into summer leagues (to my knowledge) makes me wonder if he is willing and ready to take some money and move on.
Re Anu, the fact he's not playing could mean he's recovering from an injury or at least doesn't want to aggravate an injury, needs to do schoolwork or thinks he needs a break to rest. Have seen a lot of really good players pass up intriguing summer league chances for a variety of reasons.

Re Anu, the fact he's not playing could mean he's recovering from an injury or at least doesn't want to aggravate an injury, needs to do schoolwork or thinks he needs a break to rest. Have seen a lot of really good players pass up intriguing summer league chances for a variety of reasons.

You could be right. I am just speculating. There could be some other factors at play. Still, given that he was a DH I wouldn't think he'd be carrying injuries and wouldn't need a ton of rest. He also just graduated so I don't think he'd need to be catching up on class work or going to summer school. I'd heard at one point that to play in the Cape you needed to be enrolled in grad school if you've already graduated and since he was not enrolled he could not play for Cotuit despite having a contract to play there. So, it could just be that he doesn't want to enroll in grad school and would rather take some undergrad classes in the last year and play again for UK. However, given his age I would think he'd want to do everything he can to get in front of scouts again and try to get drafted and get a contract. So, the entire situation is strange.

Daniel Harper is back.

Just announced on Twitter that he will return.

Interesting. I had heard a while back that he was planning on moving on with life. Baseball is hard to give up though.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen where these guys are playing summer ball?
I would like to see some stats on them.

Has anyone seen where these guys are playing summer ball?
I would like to see some stats on them.

Nope. Oddly, UKbaseball twitter hasn't mentioned any of these guys playing summer ball. Could be that a lot of them just aren't playing this summer.

Nope. Oddly, UKbaseball twitter hasn't mentioned any of these guys playing summer ball. Could be that a lot of them just aren't playing this summer.
Last time I looked, maybe a month ago, think I counted maybe 6-8 in various leagues which I believe is more than played the last couple of years.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT