ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Back Involved with Ron Holland

He has said he had mental health issues and wanted to be closer to family.God help him with the pressure he would under at UK.
The pressure at Kentucky is a lot no doubt, but he does all the things Kentucky needs from that 5 spot, his FTs are a concern, but his shot blocking and rebounding negate that, I say he is worth the shot

Reactions: EastLansingCat
He has said he had mental health issues and wanted to be closer to family.God help him with the pressure he would under at UK.
maybe he is like Oscar and hasn't seen his family since he came to the U.S.
Being home sick and missing your family doesn't make for mental health issues
Coming to UK would be a fresh start. The fans would treat him like a rock star, where in his present
location, they probably barely know recognize him. Feeling popular would help him a lot

maybe he is like Oscar and hasn't seen his family since he came to the U.S.
Being home sick and missing your family doesn't make for mental health issues
Coming to UK would be a fresh start. The fans would treat him like a rock star, where in his present
location, they probably barely know recognize him. Feeling popular would help him a lot
No he said in his own words he was struggling with his mental health.Jacob Toppin was the same way.

I may be wrong, but to me getting Tshiebwe, Livingston, and Reeves back is the best situation.

I just like the idea of getting our best players back. Three returning starters added to the best recruiting class we’ve had in a long time. Yes, please!
the only 1 that I agree with is Oscar.
Livingston was just barely average and Reeves was either hot or cold. UK can't wait forever for them to decide
and then be left holding an empty sack. This is the problem, ccc has let the players dictate the direction of the program. TIme to change all of that crap. I don't know of any employers that would allow an employee to take off and decide if they want to continue working or not. This is basically the same thing now that the players are being paid.

No he said in his own words he was struggling with his mental health.Jacob Toppin was the same way.
I did not read that, but maybe so, but then again, everyone was so worried about Toppin this time last year and wanting him back

I wish we would go all out for Holland, get Oscar and Reeves back and add 1 more player from the portal. Theiro gives good depth in 3 positions.

Reactions: Fox2monk
If Hunter comes Oscar will not be back
And vice versa, which should be a no brainer, but I've seen so many posters say they don't want Hunter if he's afraid to compete with Oscar for minutes. Who would want to do that when you can get 35mpg at KU, or just about anywhere else?

Last edited:
The pressure at Kentucky is a lot no doubt, but he does all the things Kentucky needs from that 5 spot, his FTs are a concern, but his shot blocking and rebounding negate that, I say he is worth the shot
I haven’t looked into this kid at all, do we know how he has fared against legit D1 competition?

Not being able to hit ft's is negated if all your offense is coming off of put-backs and rim runs...you hit a large percentage of those shots even if fouled.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
I haven’t looked into this kid at all, do we know how he has fared against legit D1 competition?

Utah Valley went pretty far in the NIT this year. They knocked out New Mexico, Colorado, and Cincinnati. IMO, Calipari would likely play him in a platoon with Onyenso at the 5.

Also, the freee throw percentage is being overblown. He shot 64% on free throws last year. That's slightly lower than Toppin's 66% last year. Tshiebwe shot 61% his soph year at WVU.

Utah Valley went pretty far in the NIT this year. They knocked out New Mexico, Colorado, and Cincinnati. IMO, Calipari would likely play him in a platoon with Onyenso at the 5.

Also, the freee throw percentage is being overblown. He shot 64% on free throws last year. That's slightly lower than Toppin's 66% last year. Tshiebwe shot 61% his soph year at WVU.
Meh, I just looked at their schedule and his results. He had a few good games, but against NIT teams. UTVS played a really weak schedule. I'm not so sure this guy is what we want taking the lead at the 5 in the SEC. Hard pass for me, but I can understand why so many people like him. He has potential.

Not being able to hit ft's is negated if all your offense is coming off of put-backs and rim runs...you hit a large percentage of those shots even if fouled.
After watching PJ Washington miss free throw after free throw in the 2018 loss to KSU, then do it again in the 2019 E8 against AU, I'd rather steer clear of dudes that can’t even shoot a respectable percentage in regular season play, especially if we're talking about him starting at the 5.

This guy is fools gold IMO and not just because of the free throws.

But that's jmo, not a fact.

Reactions: track42
I think he's Ugo 2.0 if I'm being honest. I'd rather have Hunter, Oscar, or Bradshaw at the 5.
Dickinson isn’t coming here probably unfortunately, so that leaves Oscar or Utah valley guy, Oscar is 50/50, to me the Utah valley guy can be a bridge and play until ugo figures out or if he doesn’t you have somebody who can at the very least block shots and play the dunker spot

Dickinson isn’t coming here probably unfortunately, so that leaves Oscar or Utah valley guy, Oscar is 50/50, to me the Utah valley guy can be a bridge and play until ugo figures out or if he doesn’t you have somebody who can at the very least block shots and play the dunker spot
I'm not so sure those are our only choices.
If Holland and/or Livingston don't come/come back, Cal can go get the UT kid and play two pf's with him and Bradshaw. I actually think thats a better fit than seeing Cal do what he normally does, which is park an aircraft carrier in the paint, which blocks our own guards from getting a clear lane to the bucket.

I'm not so sure those are our only choices.
If Holland and/or Livingston don't come/come back, Cal can go get the UT kid and play two pf's with him and Bradshaw. I actually think thats a better fit than seeing Cal do what he normally does, which is park an aircraft carrier in the paint, which blocks our own guards from getting a clear lane to the bucket.
Holland doesn’t look like he is coming here either which sucks because he is great, but I could live with the Tennessee dude and maybe get dingle or try to get somebody like him as well

Reactions: kyjeff1
Holland doesn’t look like he is coming here either which sucks because he is great, but I could live with the Tennessee dude and maybe get dingle or try to get somebody like him as well
I don't think anyone knows where these kids are going, including the kids.

Hunter probably knows, but how would Aaron Torres know what Hunter is thinking?

Holland just opened his recruitment back up and from what I understand, our players have beet tweeting him trying to get him to come here. To me, getting messages from your boys that you have played with for years, trumps anything Eric Musselman has to say. So who knows.

Reactions: bluefaithful

Holland just opened his recruitment back up and from what I understand, our players have beet tweeting him trying to get him to come here. To me, getting messages from your boys that you have played with for years, trumps anything Eric Musselman has to say. So who knows.
With Dickinson it just doesn’t feel like it’s Kentucky, and Holland Arkansas has gotten all the buzz, maybe our players and cal can make up some ground and get him

Reactions: kyjeff1
Meh, I just looked at their schedule and his results. He had a few good games, but against NIT teams. UTVS played a really weak schedule. I'm not so sure this guy is what we want taking the lead at the 5 in the SEC. Hard pass for me, but I can understand why so many people like him. He has potential.
This guy is more advanced than ugo. He has considerable more lift than ugo, yet people knock this guy and think ugo will be a dominant player

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
This guy is more advanced than ugo. He has considerable more lift than ugo, yet people knock this guy and think ugo will be a dominant player
I agree, thsi utah vallley guy looks significantly more athletic than ugo, and was the 6th leading shot blocker in the country adding that can’t hurt

After watching PJ Washington miss free throw after free throw in the 2018 loss to KSU, then do it again in the 2019 E8 against AU, I'd rather steer clear of dudes that can’t even shoot a respectable percentage in regular season play, especially if we're talking about him starting at the 5.

This guy is fools gold IMO and not just because of the free throws.

But that's jmo, not a fact.
Agree about PJ and the missed ft's, but he's not the type player I described: post who plays above the rim and gets all his offense off of put-backs and lobs. The type of player who can absorb contact and score over/through you regardless, so that the ft's you miss are "and one" opportunities. They don't kill you; you scored, it wasn't an empty possession. If you can do that, making free throws is a bonus; if you can't do that making free throws is a must.

Reactions: CATFANINFLORIDA

It’s not looking good, he was working out with Anthony Black and Jordan Walsh today. Probably a Hog lock but who knows.

We've got a lot of trolls in this thread, eager to report the bad news.

They're probably all the same garbage poster.

Unfortunately I think we just have that many garbage fans when things aren't rainbows and butterflies.

Makes RR unbearable at times.

I mean some clown just started the 18th "Fire Coach Cal" thread as if we didn't get our opinions across the first 17 times.

I think he's Ugo 2.0 if I'm being honest. I'd rather have Hunter, Oscar, or Bradshaw at the 5.

Yeah of course. I'd really like Nkamhoua from UT or even Livingston back. One of them and Bandaogo is a really solid frontcourt.

What I don't want is to roll with is just Onyenso, Bradshaw, and Ware in the frontcourt. I think of Bandaogo as more of an upgrade on Collins. However, he won't come here if Oscar, Dickinson, or Holland are here also, as they are true 4/5s.

Yeah of course. I'd really like Nkamhoua from UT or even Livingston back. One of them and Bandaogo is a really solid frontcourt.

What I don't want is to roll with is just Onyenso, Bradshaw, and Ware in the frontcourt. I think of Bandaogo as more of an upgrade on Collins. However, he won't come here if Oscar, Dickinson, or Holland are here also, as they are true 4/5s.
Yeah, Ugo is at least 1 year away and that’s if he gets a good amount of playing time this year. He’s a project.
We definitely need a legit 5 that can step out and shoot. Hunter fits the bill, I hope we get him today, but if we don't, I really hope we get Holland. Put Holland and Bradshaw in the front court with our guards and we have something.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT