ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Back Involved with Ron Holland

Love the Utah Valley kid. Would be a great defensive anchor and a lob threat that would pair exceptionally well with our quick guards
With the guards we have, Cal would be a fool if he didn’t play guys at the 4 and 5 spots that have range out to the 3 point line and can play the lob game.

These guards are going to get to the rim off the bounce quite easily, but if we have an aircraft carrier just sitting in the paint with a defender on him, why even bring great guards in?

Clear out the paint and let the guards do their thing.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
This is a more talented offensive version of MKG and if anyone watched Iverson Classic last night, Antigua had told Rothstein "We're going back to what worked for us and don't care how old you are-if you can play and are elite, we want you". Holland fits that bill completely.

I'd take a peak at the Utah Valley guy and if he says no--then tell Bradshaw you are a PF but are going to defend the 5 spot and we're going back to future. Get the best 5 out there. Sick of worrying about age--it's not working for Cats. Get talent on the court and let them run/go. If Reeves comes back as expected-you have a vet there and target Dingle or someone else as a wing/shooter.
I like the looks of the Utah Valley kid as well
big & strong, runs the floor & finishes above the rim.......way above the rim
at times both elbows were rim level throwing down dunks
would much prefer him over Dickinson

I'm so sick of the Dickinson nonsense. He's not worth this drama. Think he's a potential team cancer in Lexington and while I think he'd do fine--he'd have some off the court things that would rub this program a bit different.

Oscar seems Pro bound. Should go that route. Another year of CBB won't change anything other than add another year on the calendar and delay his start of Pro career and cost him some $.

I would kick tires on Utah Valley kid. Love how he plays and he is type I think is a better fit for how they'll play.
thank you
If Dickinson hasn't committed to UK by now after saying he wanted to attend UK, then walk away
begging him would really bother me if I was a team mate, especially if he is a head case as some have said he was at Michigan

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Don’t get the love for CL. He’s average at best at everything except maybe rebounding
Yeah, I don't get that. Chris had a few good games, but he's really just another rebounder that is a 4, but wants to play the 3. He can’t shoot and he disappears way too often.

Reeves gets the blame for the KSU loss, because he had a bad shooting game, but where was Chris? What did he do to put UK over the top? At least Reeves was being aggressive.

You have to have shooters. Reeves is, by far, the more important returner. It’s a no brainer, especially if they bring in Holland.

Your narrative only makes sense in a world where no bench player accepts a role and plays 20 to 25 minutes a game off the bench.

Is that the world we live in now, according to you?

Oscar - 25-28 minutes/game (12-15 remaining)
Holland - 28-30 mpg (10-12 remaining)
Edwards - 28-30 mpg (10-12 remaining)
Wagner - 28-30 mpg (10-12 remaining)
Dillingham - 25-28 mpg (12-15 remaining)

That leaves 54-66 minutes remaining for the bench. Reeves gets 22-25. Bradshaw gets 22-25. The rest of the team sorts out the remaining minutes.

We owe Onyenso nothing at this point. He almost bailed on our program.

Uh your scenario isn't with Livingston.

Do it with Livingston when he wants to start at the 3 and edwards also wants to start at the 3 and both won't play the 4.

He seems to me to just be another version of Ugo and Bradshaw (in that both can provide what you just described).

If we had a big man, would prefer it to be one who is a bit more physical and tougher down low.
Utah Valley kid is way more advanced than Ugo
He is not just a 7 footer, he also has jumping ability. I did not see that with Ugo
Both seem pretty mobile, but again the Utah Valley kid is stronger, more developed
I also agree with another poster that pointed out that Ugo entered the portal & only cam back
because he or his handlers didn't find the $ they were seeking. That tells me he is just not all
that concerned with the UK program, just himself

Reactions: KFuqua
thank you
If Dickinson hasn't committed to UK by now after saying he wanted to attend UK, then walk away
begging him would really bother me if I was a team mate, especially if he is a head case as some have said he was at Michigan
Well yeah, but he hasn't committed to anyone else either. He’s doing the smart thing by waiting on final decisions by other players.

How do we know he hasn't told UK he's coming if Oscar doesn’t return? Kids change their minds constantly and Oscar isn’t getting an NBA deal, so it is very possible that he could change his mind and return to UK.

I also don't get the fans that think Hunter sucks because he doesn't want to use his last year to compete with Oscar for minutes. Why would he want to compete with Oscar when there are better options? Does anyone actually think Cal would limit Oscar's minutes to give them to Hunter? I find it very hard to believe that anyone here would choose to come to UK to compete against Oscar if they were in Hunter's shoes.

I thought you guys wanted Shooter’s? And Holland is 200lbs. So if we don’t get Oscar Or Dickinson, where does our strength and toughness come from? We’d get abused down low

Reactions: bigbluedon
UK Basketball is reeling and we need to make a spark..tell me what kind of spark would an all freshman team of Dillingham, Wagner, Edwards, Holland , and Bradshaw make?? Bring in Reed, Reeves, Thiero; and Kingsley off the bench..THAT is a fab five..historic if you ask me..That’s what I think Cal wants and actually needs..a class that validates everything who he is and can prove he is the king of one and done
may prove he is the recruiting king, but he still has to coach & win games, which he has not done since 2015

agreed, he is just average
can't shoot, can't handle the ball, is a decent rebounder, and average or below on defense
Wait until he blows up in the league and everyone starts saying that Calipari couldn't win a title with CL.

This is a more talented offensive version of MKG and if anyone watched Iverson Classic last night, Antigua had told Rothstein "We're going back to what worked for us and don't care how old you are-if you can play and are elite, we want you". Holland fits that bill completely.

I'd take a peak at the Utah Valley guy and if he says no--then tell Bradshaw you are a PF but are going to defend the 5 spot and we're going back to future. Get the best 5 out there. Sick of worrying about age--it's not working for Cats. Get talent on the court and let them run/go. If Reeves comes back as expected-you have a vet there and target Dingle or someone else as a wing/shooter.

Maybe that's just how we have to do it under Cal. Go get the most talented, because trying to coach up and play lesser recruits and transfers just isn't his style. We tried getting transfers and some recruits who *might* stay for 2-3 years.. but the results were lacking.

Go get Holland, regardless of what the team thinks. If anyone is unhappy, then they aren't really looking at the same goal us Kentucky fans have, which is to win. They are worried about their brand and playing time, and if that scares ANYONE off, let them go. We're all pretty tired of trying to do the right thing, make players happy, do the right thing, etc.

The reason I am entering the portal is just not for my basketball career but more importantly for my mental health," Bandaogo said.

His coach at Utah Valley, Mark Madsen, departed for Cal in the Pac-12 this offseason after his team's excellent season in which they went 28-9 (15-3 in conference).

He seems to me to just be another version of Ugo and Bradshaw (in that both can provide what you just described).

If we had a big man, would prefer it to be one who is a bit more physical and tougher down low.
That would be the Tennessee kid. Have we talked with him at all?

Well yeah, but he hasn't committed to anyone else either. He’s doing the smart thing by waiting on final decisions by other players.

How do we know he hasn't told UK he's coming if Oscar doesn’t return? Kids change their minds constantly and Oscar isn’t getting an NBA deal, so it is very possible that he could change his mind and return to UK.

I also don't get the fans that think Hunter sucks because he doesn't want to use his last year to compete with Oscar for minutes. Why would he want to compete with Oscar when there are better options? Does anyone actually think Cal would limit Oscar's minutes to give them to Hunter? I find it very hard to believe that anyone here would choose to come to UK to compete against Oscar if they were in Hunter's shoes.

I may be wrong, but to me getting Tshiebwe, Livingston, and Reeves back is the best situation.

I just like the idea of getting our best players back. Three returning starters added to the best recruiting class we’ve had in a long time. Yes, please!

Reactions: Wildcats1st
I may be wrong, but to me getting Tshiebwe, Livingston, and Reeves back is the best situation.

I just like the idea of getting our best players back. Three returning starters added to the best recruiting class we’ve had in a long time. Yes, please!

I agree, with the exception of I would be completely fine with Holland instead of Livingston, but you are absolutely right that this is the best case scenario.

And maybe Cal and staff feel good about this, which would explain our lack of activity in the portal thus far.

Livingston returning sounds at least 50/50 at this point which is much higher than I first thought.

Oscar makes most sense to return from a financial standpoint (by far).

Reeves is a no-brainer to come back IMO.

Which I am fine with so long as Oscar comes back- OR we go and get someone else like the Utah Valley kid (but I don't love that kid as much as everyone else apparently).

But can't go into the year with just Ugo and Ware at the 5 spot.
Oscar is definitely priority one, the Utah valley kid is a little bit better version of ugo right now, and could at the very least protect the rim for Kentucky

Reactions: Wildcats1st
thank you
Not being committed yet doesn't concern me. Him going on his Podcast to talk about every OV he took and the fact when Michigan made him a bigger priority in their program they declined each year--now '22 was successful-they made Sweet 16 but this year the NIT which is utilizing an offensive piece that Kentucky did--a big man who needs to have the ball to be effective offensively.

Said it above but I'll have to hope for the best if he ends up in Lexington. Always a reason you pass on someone the first time...and it often has to do with fit/program.

The guy who took the job and made noise said "If it's between Talent and Experience--take Talent every time" and now we're seeing him look for an experienced big because...?? FIT also matters and rather have 2 experienced shooters added than an experienced big--get Reeves and 1 other in fold and they can help the young guards out.

Maybe that's just how we have to do it under Cal. Go get the most talented, because trying to coach up and play lesser recruits and transfers just isn't his style. We tried getting transfers and some recruits who *might* stay for 2-3 years.. but the results were lacking.

Go get Holland, regardless of what the team thinks. If anyone is unhappy, then they aren't really looking at the same goal us Kentucky fans have, which is to win. They are worried about their brand and playing time, and if that scares ANYONE off, let them go. We're all pretty tired of trying to do the right thing, make players happy, do the right thing, etc.
And the 5 star players in NCAA's were the guys who showed up--Wallace/Livingston/Oscar. If rest of the vets played like them they make Sweet 16 instead of going home. I loved the Darius Miller comparison for Adou Thiero because Darius grew in Cal's program after 1 Gillespian "experience". Thiero can be that type and Darius had a fantastic NBA career that exceeded many's expectations too.

Also for those who have a side eye to this idea but also can't stand Cal-you go back to the formula that worked for him and if that doesn't get results, he's tried everything...so it's likely not happening for him and you can get your wish.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT