ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky at Georgia (Friday)

Is JL pitching? I think I heard them giving it before he game went off , but missed it. I'm with though CB3, JL absolutely pitch 1st game tomorrow.

Last time we had a Saturday double header he pitched first. So I imagine he will again.

I was out last night, but was following game on twitter the whole way. I say this was the best win of the year for our cats. Texas Tech series was great, South Carolina / Aubie series wins were big, but this was truly a great gutty win on the road in the conference on a Friday night. I also think it could have been a big turning point (assuming we can win this series). Dropping to 5-8 in conference and staring at the #1 gators coming to town next weekend would be a TOUGH hole from which to climb.

kudos to the guys for hanging in there. Tough luck game all night, but things finally turned in the 9th.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
After first two inning Hjelle performed like SEC pitcher of year! UGA is using up pitchers while Sean was still battling!
Now if we can just get a game today like that from Lewis.

I was out last night, but was following game on twitter the whole way. I say this was the best win of the year for our cats. Texas Tech series was great, South Carolina / Aubie series wins were big, but this was truly a great gutty win on the road in the conference on a Friday night. I also think it could have been a big turning point (assuming we can win this series). Dropping to 5-8 in conference and staring at the #1 gators coming to town next weekend would be a TOUGH hole from which to climb.

kudos to the guys for hanging in there. Tough luck game all night, but things finally turned in the 9th.
Just hoping they can pull out at least one today...u6 on Wed. and then we need to pack the house next weekend.

Is SEC alternate an add on to regular SECN or does it just come along? Seems like I always see alt on the listings.

Based on past SEC performance with Haake, it appears that the coaching sees a Saturday SEC game as a throw away game. At this point, why is anyone surprised? When this coaching staff dose exactly the same thing, and get exactly the same results. If the Coach Staff is unhappy with their habitual Saturday pitching performance, do something different.

Based on past SEC performance with Haake, it appears that the coaching sees a Saturday SEC game as a throw away game. At this point, why is anyone surprised? When this coaching staff dose exactly the same thing, and get exactly the same results. If the Coach Staff is unhappy with their habitual Saturday pitching performance, do something different.

To be fair, Haake has started in 3 SEC games... in the first game he was dealing, but gave up a bunch of walks. Despite that he had a lead going into the 8th inning because he got outs when needed despite giving up basically a walk an inning. In the 8th he was left in too long and fell apart.

He then started and clearly struggled with getting strikeouts in the series against South Carolina and gave up a lot of runs pretty quickly. He had the same type of outing today.

The issue is, in many ways, that we don't really have anyone else who has stepped up to fill the shoes that Thompson left. Haake is/was projected to be a top draft pick and he has the stuff to be great. He will have some rough outings, but the strange thing is that in his last two he really hasn't given up a ton of walks, and even in the game against Auburn where he lost in the 8th he didn't give up terrible walks until he was left in too long in the 8th. It has largely been about getting the strikeout pitch. Today he gave up 5 or 6 hits with 0-2 counts. So, the control was there, but he was just hitting way too much of the plate instead of working the corners and getting hitters to chase.

Harper attempted a start at Arkansas, but proved he probably wasn't ready for that stage when he gave up 5 earned runs before the first inning ever ended. Ramsey has looked good at times, but he's struggled a bit more lately and we don't know how well he'd do as a starter. Coleman hasn't proven he can start or go more than a couple. Mach might be someone, but then you basically take all experience out of your bullpen. It is just a terrible situation to be in.

In all reality, it is a very scary prospect that we have to replace at least weekend starters and we really have no one that has clearly stepped up and shown that they might be able to fulfill that role as an SEC starter in 2019.

Bases loaded with 0 outs and instead of getting a hit or even putting the ball in play we fall to back to back strikeouts. 8 for us in this game so far...

Collett seems to get bases loaded opportunities more than any hitter that I think I have ever seen. He gets a walk on this one to make this game 9-3. I am not sure how many bases loaded opportunities he has this year, but he is something like 2-7 or 2-8 and I can recall him drawing walks on at least 2 occasions, so at least something like 10 attempts.

Ground out to end the UK threat. We walked 4 times, but can't get a hit and we only get one run out of a bases loaded 0 out threat. Unacceptable.

Got at least a bases loaded walk 9-3 Aklinski up

Yea, but that kind of goes to my point earlier of seemingly striking out at the worst times. Bases loaded and we have a chance to at least hit a sac or do anything to get a run with 0 outs and instead we strike out. Heck, our most successful attempts with bases loaded were when we successfully ran back to back to back suicide squeeze bunts against Tech (I believe is who it was) earlier in the year.

Nice DP turned by Squires and Dawson, McGeorge has faced the minimum 5 hitters ...... pretty nice by today's pitching standard !

This is such a weird weekend... we cannot hit the Georgia starters, who have struggled and yet they are hitting home runs against us, despite not being a home run team. Then, we get into their bullpen and seem to be lighting it up despite it being their strength. Is it opposite weekend? What is going on here?!

Only being down 3 runs at this point with 6 more outs to go is a good thing. Would love to steal this game. Don't know that it will happen, but man it would be devastating for them if we did and huge for us to finally have a Saturday game 2 win.

It doesn't necessarily matter but just a heads up youre on the thread from yesterday.

To be fair, Haake has started in 3 SEC games... in the first game he was dealing, but gave up a bunch of walks. Despite that he had a lead going into the 8th inning because he got outs when needed despite giving up basically a walk an inning. In the 8th he was left in too long and fell apart.

He then started and clearly struggled with getting strikeouts in the series against South Carolina and gave up a lot of runs pretty quickly. He had the same type of outing today.

The issue is, in many ways, that we don't really have anyone else who has stepped up to fill the shoes that Thompson left. Haake is/was projected to be a top draft pick and he has the stuff to be great. He will have some rough outings, but the strange thing is that in his last two he really hasn't given up a ton of walks, and even in the game against Auburn where he lost in the 8th he didn't give up terrible walks until he was left in too long in the 8th. It has largely been abit'soting the strikeout pitch. Today he gave up 5 or 6 hits with 0-2 counts. So, the control was there, but he was just hitting way too much of the plate instead of working the corners and getting hitters to chase.

Harper attempted a start at Arkansas, but proved he probably wasn't ready for that stage when he gave up 5 earned runs before the first inning ever ended. Ramsey has looked good at times, but he's struggled a bit more lately and we don't know how well he'd do as a starter. Coleman hasn't proven he can start or go more than a couple. Mach might be someone, but then you basically take all experience out of your bullpen. It is just a terrible situation to be in.

In all reality, it is a very scary prospect that we have to replace at least weekend starters and we really have no one that has clearly stepped up and shown that they might be able to fulfill that role as an SEC starter in 2019.
So either way it's on the coaches?

The issue is, in many ways, that we don't really have anyone else who has stepped up to fill the shoes that Thompson left. Haake is/was projected to be a top draft pick and he has the stuff to be great. He will have some rough outings, but the strange thing is that in his last two he really hasn't given up a ton of walks, and even in the game against Auburn where he lost in the 8th he didn't give up terrible walks until he was left in too long in the 8th. It has largely been about getting the strikeout pitch. Today he gave up 5 or 6 hits with 0-2 counts. So, the control was there, but he was just hitting way too much of the plate instead of working the corners and getting hitters to chase.

That is scary, but we live in the present and it's unbelievable that this season has hinged on losing one player.

ADVERTISEMENT