ADVERTISEMENT

***Kentucky at Florida Offical Game Thread***

I know we all hoped Bradshaw would be the real deal but he is just not. He looks so timid and frail on the court. The thought of him playing professionally next year is extremely laughable.
Well he showed up and sprayed me in the face like UF was doing to him repeatedly. The opening part of the game resembled an adult film set with how much Bradshaw was getting blasted in his face. (Sorry for graphic description but I must go get a towel as Bradshaw just returned the favor to me and good for him/Cats/BBN he did so, LOL)

Reactions: Ghettobird
The most amazing thing about this game is when we were up 2 points at 3 different times in the final seconds all 3 times Reed was the one that had the ball running out clock and hanging onto the ball to get fouled.

I have stressed this for years get the ball to your best FT shooter at the end of games and usually Cal screws it up or the players do something stupid and pass to a guy who isn't a great FT shooter.

The most impressive of the plays was the end when Reed had been throwing it in over and over he passes the ball behind the baseline steps in for the ball and puts us up 4 with 2.7 left.

I can't stress how amazing this is because for years we have not done this at end of games.

Coach did some good things down the stretch. Allowed Bradshaw to hit a big 3 late. Ran a nice OB play for Reeves.

Reactions: pappy52
Exactly. Reed's been playing along enough to know that.

Sometimes I think you just get caught up in the emotion of the moment and he had a brain lapse. It is what it is
But he didn’t foul. Sure. You don’t contest the shot. But he didn’t foul. Why do officials have such a hard time making simple calls? Instead of inserting themselves into the game. Not to mention the damn inbounder wasn’t even out of bounds when he threw the pass. This is the mindset that has cost us final four games. Aw shucks we just missed the shot clock expiring. Oh well, better luck next time UK.

I respect your opinion, but I feel that he makes other players better. Our offense drops off when he is not in the game.
I agree 100% with you. It is good to facilitate when others are hitting, but others weren't hitting outside shots which is why he should have at least taken a few to see if he was able to make some.

Funny how so many negative posters aren't posting anymore after we came back to win......

Great game by BBN. We are a team to be reckoned with. We took their best punch and weathered thenstorm to find a way to win even when our shooting wasn't there.
These Cats are troll killers baby!

Reactions: University-6
As I stated, he hit those big free throws. Just so I am clear, I am not upset with him because not doing something well; I am upset because offensively he was invisible. If you are going to be the man, take the shots even if you don't make them because a bad shot from him is better than a good shot by some of the others.
Kenpom post game stats- offensive efficiency-
Reed- 143
Wagner- 132

Don’t give a crap if it’s due to FTs. There is a reason he shot them.

Edit. And Edwards was 105.

As anyone on this board knows, there is no bigger Reed Sheppard fan on this board than me, but today he didn't bringing when it was clear the team needed him. There is a time to pass and there is a time to put the team on your back. Shep didn't even really attempt go on the offensive when the team needed it. I am sorry if some of you don't like it, but the truth is the truth. Part of being a star is playing like one when the team needs you. Poster were critical of DJ and Edwards missed shots, but it least they weren't afraid to miss some shots.

I think you might be a little too harsh on Reed. He's not gonna have great games all the time and the bottom line is he stepped up and made the shots when we needed them the most.

I actually thought the thread was more positive than usual. Oh well. This win was a big deal.
I agree, but several people talking about the loss when there was a ton of time left. They 90% of the time disappear when we come back to win. Shows who the actual fans are and who is here just to troll.

Reactions: UKortho
But he didn’t foul. Sure. You don’t contest the shot. But he didn’t foul. Why do officials have such a hard time making simple calls? Instead of inserting themselves into the game. Not to mention the damn inbounder wasn’t even out of bounds when he threw the pass. This is the mindset that has cost us final four games. Aw shucks we just missed the shot clock expiring. Oh well, better luck next time UK.
I really believe the game is too fast for many SEC refs.

Reactions: KYExtemper
I’m never going to fuss at a player trying to make a defense play especially Shep. That was a cheating ass call. It was clean. Shame on them for attack our Kentucky boy with that BA. Ogelsby officially on the list.
I’m not fussing but there is zero reason to try and block a 3 point shot up by 4 with less than 2 seconds to play. Part of what makes Shep great is his high basketball IQ. That was an extremely low IQ play. He blocked cleanly but he doesn’t get to make the call, the ref does, and Shep gave him reason to call a foul. Reeves and Bradshaw didn’t foul on either of their last two drives but fouls were called regardless.

I am glad we were able to close this one out. I will take a W, no matter how ugly, on the road in the SEC. The non-conference schedule just doesn't prepare a team for road ****ery and general BS in the SEC.

I will bet that FL doesn't have a shooting half like the first one against us the rest of the season. The second half was closer to their normal from outside.

As anyone on this board knows, there is no bigger Reed Sheppard fan on this board than me, but today he didn't bringing when it was clear the team needed him. There is a time to pass and there is a time to put the team on your back. Shep didn't even really attempt go on the offensive when the team needed it. I am sorry if some of you don't like it, but the truth is the truth. Part of being a star is playing like one when the team needs you. Poster were critical of DJ and Edwards missed shots, but it least they weren't afraid to miss some shots.
Reed played as expected of a freshman in his first hostile environment. He was not confident in his own ability…I do agree with you on that
I’m also pretty confident that we won’t see such timidity again. And he was quite instrumental at the end
DJ and Edwards are both a little more cocky in their play…so it didn’t affect them as much

All in all, as bad as we looked at times we looked as good at times. And we never folded..
It was a good win

He was only in because Mitchell was hurt and we don't have Adou. Guess you could have went Edwards but no one on this board likes him either apparently lol
I liked Edwards game today. He didn't take any head shaking shots and he went to the basket hard. He wasn't mishandling very catchable passes. I saw a lot of improvement today.

Last edited:
Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz

I sometimes wonder if maybe not only the players but the refs also get caught up in the moment.

Someone mentioned if that game was at Rupp and we did that.........do they even call that? Probably not.

Refs are supposed to be unbiased but you can't help but wonder at times with the crowd and everything if that's just not possible.

Reactions: LmdCat and UKortho
I think you might be a little too harsh on Reed. He's not gonna have great games all the time and the bottom line is he stepped up and made the shots when we needed them the most.
I am not going to disagree with you. I might be harsh. As I previously stated, I am not disappointed about anything that he did wrong other than the stupid foul. I am highly disappointed in his extremely passive play.

Reactions: UKortho
I sometimes wonder if maybe not only the players but the refs also get caught up in the moment.

Someone mentioned if that game was at Rupp and we did that.........do they even call that? Probably not.

Refs are supposed to be unbiased but you can't help but wonder at times with the crowd and everything if that's just not possible.
Yes. It was easier for the refs to call that.

Dilly far and away the wurst +/- at -21 BUT the unnoticed and headiest play of the game to quickly inbound the ball to Reed late with 3.4 seconds left. Dilly also didn't foul on the driving layup just prior to that inbounds play.

Well done there son!

Reactions: LmdCat and UKortho
I am not going to disagree with you. I might be harsh. As I previously stated, I am not disappointed about anything that he did wrong other than the stupid foul. I am highly disappointed in his extremely passive play.
He definitely needs to look for his shot more. Agree with that.

Reactions: LmdCat
Refs never watch for traveling in today's game. I see it multiple times in every game. When we run the weave action, several of our guys catch the ball on the dead run and don't get it on the floor until their second step. Rewind to the huge three by Bradshaw. Watch Bradshaw catch and take a hop to set his feet.
Big time shot but I thought we got away with one. Florida's big men often travel on the zoom dribble handoff. It is never called. It allows the offensive player to set a moving screen

Reed played as expected of a freshman in his first hostile environment. He was not confident in his own ability…I do agree with you on that
I’m also pretty confident that we won’t see such timidity again. And he was quite instrumental at the end
DJ and Edwards are both a little more cocky in their play…so it didn’t affect them as much

All in all, as bad as we looked at times we looked as good at times. And we never folded..
It was a good win
Thanks for bringing a bit more perspective on the matter. We just needed him today as in the future. If he doesn't take the shots, DJ or Edwards will which aren't good options. However, I give them both credit today for not taking wild shots. I don't recall a single shot by either player that I thought they shouldn't have taken which is the first game that I can say this.

Last edited:
Refs never watch for traveling in today's game. I see it multiple times in every game. When we run the weave action, several of our guys catch the ball on the dead run and don't get it on the floor until their second step. Rewind to the huge three by Bradshaw. Watch Bradshaw catch and take a hop to set his feet.
Big time shot but I thought we got away with one. Florida's big men often travel on the zoom dribble handoff. It is never called. It allows the offensive player to set a moving screen
They also just casually missed that last Florida inbounds pass that took two steps onto the court.

That was a bad call no matter where the game was played.

Thanks for bring a bit more perspective on the matter. We just needed him today as in the future. If he doesn't take the shots, DJ or Edwards will which aren't good options. However, I give them both credit today for not taking wild shots. I don't recall a single shot by either player that I thought they shouldn't have taken which is the first game that I can say this.
Agreed
And we did need him and will in the future
Also agree with you on DJ and Edwards

Reactions: UKortho and LmdCat
I’m not fussing but there is zero reason to try and block a 3 point shot up by 4 with less than 2 seconds to play. Part of what makes Shep great is his high basketball IQ. That was an extremely low IQ play. He blocked cleanly but he doesn’t get to make the call, the ref does, and Shep gave him reason to call a foul. Reeves and Bradshaw didn’t foul on either of their last two drives but fouls were called regardless.
So a dude shouldn’t play defense because the ref might call a foul. It’s on the ref to make the correct call. That was a blatant bad call.

Should Reed have left him? Sure. But he decided to make a block and did. And was punished for it. If I’m call I walk by that ref after the win and not so subtly say “Bite me asshole”.

• Haha
Reactions: LmdCat
So a dude shouldn’t play defense because the ref might call a foul. It’s on the ref to make the correct call. That was a blatant bad call.

Should Reed have left him? Sure. But he decided to make a block and did. And was punished for it. If I’m call I walk by that ref after the win and not so subtly say “Bite me asshole”.
That kind of thing is probably why Cal gets such a sucky whistle in the first place.

Reactions: ck-2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT