ADVERTISEMENT

KenPom Just Dropped

I honestly won't have an inkling of what this team can be until I watch the first real game. I'm glad people are sleeping on this team. Beats being overestimated every year like we have to the past imo.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
It's meaningless until there are games played, I would say at least 5 per team. So, any modeling right now, has way too many assumptions to be valid.
This is coming from a Statistician who has developed a model.
Yeah.

It’s just a baseline to help predict early season games. The model performs better in those games with it than without it.

As we play more games, the preseason ranking becomes less and less relevant.

Nah. If someone wants to believe we could lose 4/5 to start SEC play... ok, that's whatever. But this team is not finishing the season like that. And I don't even have to look at the schedule. I expect us to be a real problem by the end of conf play.
Seriously, with the experience on this team, we should be a problem from the start. It takes every team some time to reach their true form and, we will get better as the season wears on. At the same time, if the hype is even close to real, we should be good from day one.

I just hope our delusional fans do not turn on Coach Pope. I hope they understand he can't be expected to turn this program around year one with a total rebuild through the portal
Not a lot to go off of in a team scrimmage demo, but they do have a long way to go. It's going to take a year for everyone to truly be on the same page.

Reactions: UKortho
Do these people STILL not understand John Calipari the coach?? The Arkansas roster isn't stellar (even if they were not all suffering from mystery Cal injuries), but John Calipari would have struggled to bring home the bronze with the 92 Dream Team.
Calipari beat the 96 UK team.

My own pet theory is that after the few transcendent players that there is little difference among the hundreds of players who fill out the ranks of Div 1 college hoops. Training, coaching, the day's events, the player's frame of mind, luck -- all of those level wins and losses out. Man o' War lost one to Upset. (Really. That was the horse's name.) Mighty Casey struck out. People with ranking systems who post pre-season predictions are just pushing their brand.

#42??!! That's hilarious. It's going to be awesome way outperforming national expectations this year vs what we had been doing for many years now.
I sure hope so, one thing is for sure. I will be cheering my ass off and tuning into every game again. I watched most Cal games but after 2020 a lot of game I knew we would just lose because I’d seen it before so much.

Man, Arkansas fans are in for a letdown. I kind of feel bad for them. Knowing that the five years before Cal will end up being way better than the five years that are starting right now.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
It’s even emptier than I thought. I believe my prediction of 2k people is about right.

If that. You know those kids were hyped when they committed. Had visions of coming out under the lights. Big crowd cheering. All of it.

Got absolutely none of it. Got to be bummed.

Don't try to reason on this board. It's not wanted.

But, yeah, I agree.

I can see a scenario this team is a few games over .500 and middle of the pack in conference. I also see a scenario it wins 25 games and is top 3 in conference. My gut tells me it's a roughly 10 loss team, somewhere around 4-6 in conference and a 5/6 seed in the tourney.
So about like the last few years except without one and done freshmen?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT