ADVERTISEMENT

KenPom 2023 Rankings are out - and UK is...

Feb 4, 2004
#1.

KenPom Rankings

I know the rankings don't matter that much this early, but it's still really nice validation of the eye test we've seen so far.

How long has it been since UK has been #1 in KenPom, or at least started the year at #1?

Reactions: BlueSince92
That's good because it's hard for a team to drop or rise from KenPom's initial ranking. 😐

Reactions: BlueBomb
That's good because it's hard for a team to drop or rise from KenPom's initial ranking. 😐
Except for UK.

Watch - after our first two exhibition games and the season opener, if we don't win by 400, KenPom will drop us from #1 to #18 because Puke, UNC and KU played schools of the blind and won by 6000.

In other news based on those rankings, Indiana just announced a KenPom preseason pep rally complete with net cutting, a "KenPom 2022 PreSeason #12 Rank" plaque, "KenPom #12 PreSeason" popcorn boxes to the first 200 fans, and a Tom Crean reunion. Planned big screen video will be 6 straight hours of the Watford shot over UK.

The finale will be a "rush the court" practice session for fans and players.

Last edited:
In other news based on those rankings, Indiana just announced a KenPom preseason pep rally complete with net cutting, a "KenPom 2022 PreSeason #12 Rank" plaque, "KenPom #12 PreSeason" popcorn boxes to the first 200 fans, and a Tom Crean reunion. Planned big screen video will be 6 straight hours of the Watford shot over UK.

The finale will be a "rush the court" practice session for fans and players.
ad19124c-cf25-4e9d-bd2b-2ce7ec71e94a_text.gif

This coming from the guy whose disdain for Kentucky is clear as day on the Rivals main page. I've seen your posts and likes over there, man. You're no friend to Kentucky.
I don't go there often because the UK hate there is never-ending, but you are spot on about this IU fan.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
This coming from the guy whose disdain for Kentucky is clear as day on the Rivals main page. I've seen your posts and likes over there, man. You're no friend to Kentucky.
🤣...

Whatever, bro. You have zero idea WTF you are even talking about. You really, don't.

I don't go there often because the UK hate there is never-ending, but you are spot on about this IU fan.
You and your boyfriend are absolutely clueless....Its hlarious, tbh....Here's the problemo----Some of ya'll can't take it when your ass gets called out. You make fun of UL or IU for being "obsessed" with everything UK, yet in a thread about KP, a game vs IU from 12 years ago, getds brought up...I simply made fun of that....

Quit being so sensitive....

Yeah----I am. Not sure whats wrong with that? I enjoy the board....Unlike some, I don't hate UK---Nor dislike. Conversation over here for the most part is usually very good.
I actually enjoy most of your posts; you obviously know the game's history well. I just always find it humorous when folks post on a thread and state things like "this has no interest to me" or like your previous post. Just seemed ironic.

I actually enjoy most of your posts; you obviously know the game's history well. I just always find it humorous when folks post on a thread and state things like "this has no interest to me" or like your previous post. Just seemed ironic.
Not sure where I said "this has no interest to me"?

Grew up around UK basketball----have always respected the program. UK to me isn't a hated rival----that would be Purdue. Sure I like to "poke the bear", but its all in fun.

Me posting "always on mind" is just in fun, man.....Simply poking fun at those who make fun of IU or UL, or whoever, for apparently always having UK "on their mind".

And yes, I do think about UK, a lot----Its because I like UK----I follow UK. My wife is a UK grad....My brother lives less than 5 miles from Rupp-----Wifes brother has season tickets, and we go to Rupp quite often...Its all in fun, brother....

Notre: Just so you know, there are about 6 or 7 of us on the National board who are pretty good friends. We are a combination of IU and UK fans, and have "made up threads" that we have made to have some fun....PM me and I'll let ya in on our "secret club"... 😁 😁 😁

You and your boyfriend are absolutely clueless....Its hlarious, tbh....Here's the problemo----Some of ya'll can't take it when your ass gets called out. You make fun of UL or IU for being "obsessed" with everything UK, yet in a thread about KP, a game vs IU from 12 years ago, getds brought up...I simply made fun of that....

Quit being so sensitive....

That’s because IU fans reaction to that game was so historically and comically over the top we turned it into a meme.

Not sure where I said "this has no interest to me"?

Grew up around UK basketball----have always respected the program. UK to me isn't a hated rival----that would be Purdue. Sure I like to "poke the bear", but its all in fun.

Me posting "always on mind" is just in fun, man.....Simply poking fun at those who make fun of IU or UL, or whoever, for apparently always having UK "on their mind".

And yes, I do think about UK, a lot----Its because I like UK----I follow UK. My wife is a UK grad....My brother lives less than 5 miles from Rupp-----Wifes brother has season tickets, and we go to Rupp quite often...Its all in fun, brother....

Notre: Just so you know, there are about 6 or 7 of us on the National board who are pretty good friends. We are a combination of IU and UK fans, and have "made up threads" that we have made to have some fun....PM me and I'll let ya in on our "secret club"... 😁 😁 😁
My brother (now sadly no longer with us) was one of the powerful "blue hairs" folks make fun of. He had season tickets to Rupp (1st row right behind the opposing coach) 1977-2020. When he originally got his 2 seats, Coach Rupp wanted them so Gary traded them. When Coach passed away, the powers there upgraded my brother's seats.

On various ESPN games (on the classic channel) I can see me and my brother sitting there. I often think "damn, we looked younger"

That’s because IU fans reaction to that game was so historically and comically over the top we turned it into a meme.
Gotcha........And when you consider where IU was coming from: 6-25, 10-21 and 12-20,to 27-9, I don't think the reaction was THAT bad. Cheesy, sure---Some of it. Thats on Crean. But that game, vs a heated/hated rival, who was #1, unbeaten, etc.....When it looked as if IU was gonna blow a big lead, after leading for most of the game----then to win at the buzzer....??? Yeah, i can see where emotions would take over. PLus, I mean its a bunch of damn college kids......

Being a bit hyperbolish here, but that's OK....Its a meaningless game that was played 11 years ago.

Reactions: UKortho
My brother (now sadly no longer with us) was one of the powerful "blue hairs" folks make fun of. He had season tickets to Rupp (1st row right behind the opposing coach) 1977-2020. When he originally got his 2 seats, Coach Rupp wanted them so Gary traded them. When Coach passed away, the powers there upgraded my brother's seats.

On various ESPN games (on the classic channel) I can see me and my brother sitting there. I often think "damn, we looked younger"
Really neat story......Has to be tough, yet somewhat satisfying(lack of a better word), to be able to see your brother....I love stories like this. Years and years ago when shit was AOL, or something like that, I "met" a lady who was a BIG UK fan, and BIG donor. At first I didn't believe her when she told their tickets were behind the UK bench....But once she told me what she would be wearing, and sure enough, there she was----right behind the bench. She actually had me and my wife up to Lexington for a game; we didn't get their seats, but close, and very, very good(seats) nonetheless...

I started liking UK when my grandfather threatened my brother and me that if we didn't quit arguing over "UK/IU", that he'd ground us from watching either team. Told us we had better start respecting the others choice of teams.....So we did. I mean shit, I wasn't about to lose TV privy over a fukin team (at the time) that I did not like.... 🤣 . Rest is history after that. Married into a BIG UK family almost 20 years ago....Wife and I have never argued over an IU/UK game, and never will. We give each other shit, poke the bear, but its all in fun. After all, its just a game.

I hate IU. We all do. You won’t ever hear a UK fan say “Nah, I really don’t hate or dislike IU”. We admit it proudly.
So you Ok with speaking for ALL UK fans? I know plenty of UK fans who like, root for IU. Hell I know plenty of IU fans who like UK......For me and most of the people I know, its Purdue---not UK.

I get it, and understand it....Becasuse on the flip side, I know plenty of UK fans that hate Indiana, and plenty of IU fans who hate UK. And I understand it. Just different for me.

As for "hate"? Naaaaah. Dislike is a better word. I mean you and I are really no different. We just happen to root for a different team. Is that really worth hating or disliking a person over?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT