ADVERTISEMENT

Kenny Payne Says No To U6 Job.

I think if offered he'd take the job, and even though I don't want to lose Payne, we'd be fine and I think it wouldn't be a great hire for Louisville. I'd encourage this actually.

One reason I wouldn't like it though has to do with this connection that Louisville and Kentucky seem to be caught in. It started with Pitino and it needs to die with his exit. From now on I'd prefer no ties whatsoever to them, it only helps Louisville when it happens.

"doesn't plan to" and "won't" are 2 totally different things. And that is fine, that is the answer he should give.
U6 has a coach. KP has a job, a team, to focus on. Shame on the media for asking that question until BOTH, U6 has a HC opening, AND UK's season is over.

I think (or at least would like to think) that most UK fans would not fault KP if he left for that job. It is his home city, his alma-mater, and a pretty good job for a first HC job (even with the recent issues). Could it even reduce the level of hate between the 2 fan bases (which IMO starts with the fans of the inferior program, UK fan hate mostly seems as a retaliation). I personally wouldn't mind seeing that level of hate go away, and let it focus more on UNCheat & Duke, and maybe even IF UL got good again see a UK & UL vs UNCheat & Duke Big 4 annual event.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Why would you encourage this? He’s one of the best recruiters we have. The kids seem to love KP.

Probably wrong way to phrase that. I wouldn't encourage it I guess. But I think he wouldn't be the best hire for them, and anything that hurts them is a plus.

Reactions: villefan76
Lol Cal said "I am the coach of Memphis" until he wasn't.

This is what they all do. KP deserves a shot at an upper tier program. I'd say he'll wait for one to come available instead of a commuter school down the road....

Cal didn't say that.

Cal said "Memphis is where I want to be" and two weeks later his mansion in Memphis was on the market.

Reactions: Kentucky31
I fully expect him to get an offer from a school sooner than later. IF he were to go to UoFsmell he would certainty start in a hole and what's about to happen to that sewer of a school !

He wasn't offered it nor do I think UofL would offer him. He is right where he needs to be. I think it would be a stupid hire for UL

OP got the story wrong...KP deflected said Padgett doing good job under tough circumstances - it was a hypothetical question if UofL job was offered
KP says he wants to be head coach

I think KP will get offered a decent head coaching position eventually, but feel it would be a big mistake for him to take the UL job if offered as it is going to be such a mess for years to come. We just need to be prepared that he will probably be going somewhere pretty soon and I hope Cal has good replacements in mind when that happens.

He said he loves Louisville, owes UL, was taught by a great coach there and wants to be an HC, but has no desire to take a bad job and will be perfectly happy staying right where he is. Says Padgett is doing a great job and it is a disservice to Padgett, UL and UK to talk about it. I don’t recall him saying he would turn it down if offered.

Disservice to Padgett, he's doing a great job[laughing]

I wonder if they ever stop and think, not a mf'er ONE is buying this crap but I've got to say it anyway.

That ghetto commuter school is facing several years of being a dumpster fire. Why would any coach want to endure that? I don’t see it.
Same could've been said for the PSU football program. Bill O'Brien took over during the sanctions and turned it around quickly. That then led to his departure for the Houston Texans. He essentially used PSU as a stepping stone to prove what he could do to land a bigger and better gig. Wouldn't surprise me if a coach would look to do the same thing at UL.

Same could've been said for the PSU football program. Bill O'Brien took over during the sanctions and turned it around quickly. That then led to his departure for the Houston Texans. He essentially used PSU as a stepping stone to prove what he could do to land a bigger and better gig. Wouldn't surprise me if a coach would look to do the same thing at UL.

Umm that's PennState.

Louisville is not a major player and has an uphill battle even IF everything is going normally.

Kentucky makes it hard to recruit both instate and nationally.

2nd fiddle in the national spotlight to U.K.

Now has to compete with UK as usual, but also Duke, UNC, and the ACC. Gone are the days where they have it easy once conference play starts.

It's not close to the same situation. Louisville is in trouble.

Here is difference. No high level players are going to go there while they are probation. Any coach is going to struggle with the hot garbage recruits UL will get. That’s even if there is a program to go to for a few years.

Umm that's PennState.

Louisville is not a major player and has an uphill battle even IF everything is going normally.

Kentucky makes it hard to recruit both instate and nationally.

2nd fiddle in the national spotlight to U.K.

Now has to compete with UK as usual, but also Duke, UNC, and the ACC. Gone are the days where they have it easy once conference play starts.

It's not close to the same situation. Louisville is in trouble.

Hard to recruit in-state? There is a player worth UK recruiting in-state maybe once every 5 years, maybe 10 years for a player we really want. UL is probably the top choice for all of those other players. As for Nationally, no U6 is not on the same level as UK, UNC, Duke, KU. But who else is (nobody)? They are in that next tier though. Nice arena (that KY taxpayers got screwed on). Well supported team. Name recognition for basketball. Top 10 history. Top basketball conference. Maybe the recent scandals drops them down another peg to NC St, Arkansas, status. Those would still all be a good start for KP for his first head coaching gig. You don't start out at UK or the other top dogs.

No more Kentucky people please.

But it would be funny.

Actually, he told them to keep Padgett essentially, lol. That's even better.
Yes I like 29 point wins over the tards. It’s only going to be worse next year at the Scum Center. I can’t wait to be in that arena of cheating laughing my ass off as a great UK team bitch slaps that group of Division 2 level talent that UL will have.

Hard to recruit in-state? There is a player worth UK recruiting in-state maybe once every 5 years, maybe 10 years for a player we really want. UL is probably the top choice for all of those other players. As for Nationally, no U6 is not on the same level as UK, UNC, Duke, KU. But who else is (nobody)? They are in that next tier though. Nice arena (that KY taxpayers got screwed on). Well supported team. Name recognition for basketball. Top 10 history. Top basketball conference. Maybe the recent scandals drops them down another peg to NC St, Arkansas, status. Those would still all be a good start for KP for his first head coaching gig. You don't start out at UK or the other top dogs.
Not on probation it won’t be. No one wants to not have an opportunity to play in March.

That ghetto commuter school is facing several years of being a dumpster fire. Why would any coach want to endure that? I don’t see it.
DO YOU SEE IT?
money.gif

I wasn't talking about Payne. And Louisville is not a top 10 job.

Reactions: villefan76
The right coach could turn ul around quickly. Excellent facilities and a decent tradition excluding the last 3 years. The major stumbling block to hiring the right guy is the penalties about to come down and the penalties to come for the most recent mess.
Because of they should stick with Padgett. If he succeeds great, if not make the right hire after all penalties are known. That could easily be another year.

UL is a top ten job whether you want to admit that or not
[roll] It’s not even a top 25 job the next five years. UL has done nothing since 1986. One final four. No titles. That’s absolutely pathetic.
They haven’t won a game in the ACC tournament since they joined the league. They are tops in scandals though. I will give them that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT